Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you like smashing your genitals with a hammer?

Buying a 500 in TYOOL 2019 is almost criminal.

I feel like it is more like lighting them on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Counterpoint: Abarth sounds awesome. The first year edition, at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuviqXoPBM

I don't care that it's FCA garbage, I've wanted one ever since I watched this.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Fiesta ST is better in every metric, except for "number of scorpion badges"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

The Fiesta ST is better in every metric, except for "number of scorpion badges"

The Fiesta ST is longer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think inklesspen is looking at Abarths. Which means they are even more wrong because Abarths are awesome.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can anyone link to a good post about deciphering the final offer math.

Thinking stuff like "You negotiated the price from 18500 to 16000. Great! But now they're applying tax to the original cost instead of the reduced price. Tell them to pound sand, Buster!"

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Can anyone link to a good post about deciphering the final offer math.

Thinking stuff like "You negotiated the price from 18500 to 16000. Great! But now they're applying tax to the original cost instead of the reduced price. Tell them to pound sand, Buster!"

gently caress the 4 square forever and ever. amen.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm looking for a new vehicle and figured I would turn to you guys for advice.

Proposed Budget: 10,000 - 15,000 (This is a rough estimate)

New or Used: With my budget I'm probably looking at used.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) I'm not looking for anything large. I had to drive around a 2008 GMC Sierra for work at times and I hated driving it because it felt way too big. We did have a 1999 Ford F-150 and it was small enough that I felt really comfortable driving it. For reference my current car is a 2-door BMW 328xi. It seems about the right size and I only brought up the trucks to explain what I meant by "large." I don't care if its 2 door or 4 door.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?) I don't do that much driving on a regular basis but I do drive a little over an hour once or twice a month to see my family. Otherwise it will be used to get from point A to point B.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? The only gizmo I would need are audio sensors around my car. Backup cameras don't work for me and are an actual hindrance but hearing audio beeps helps a poo poo load. Even if doesn't I'll probably be able to get a grant from the VA to help me get them installed.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) My current car sits low to the ground with sporty tires and with Chicago winters and the horrible state of our roads I need something that isn't low to the ground. I'm spending a lot of money on tire alignments and with it low to the ground I'm worried about running over those concrete stoppers in parking spaces or even curbs. I would also like something that I can start learning to work on. I'm nervous about loving with my BMW especially after my stepdad, who has worked on cars his entire life, told me he wouldn't touch it.

So yeah, something reliable that I would be able to work on that isn't low to the ground and is good in winter.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Apparently KIA Stinger is not selling well at all, and they are being pushed put with 0%/60m and heaps of money under MSRP.

https://jalopnik.com/kia-is-practically-giving-away-stingers-1834577355

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I'm looking for a new vehicle and figured I would turn to you guys for advice.

Proposed Budget: 10,000 - 15,000 (This is a rough estimate)

New or Used: With my budget I'm probably looking at used.

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) I'm not looking for anything large. I had to drive around a 2008 GMC Sierra for work at times and I hated driving it because it felt way too big. We did have a 1999 Ford F-150 and it was small enough that I felt really comfortable driving it. For reference my current car is a 2-door BMW 328xi. It seems about the right size and I only brought up the trucks to explain what I meant by "large." I don't care if its 2 door or 4 door.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?) I don't do that much driving on a regular basis but I do drive a little over an hour once or twice a month to see my family. Otherwise it will be used to get from point A to point B.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? The only gizmo I would need are audio sensors around my car. Backup cameras don't work for me and are an actual hindrance but hearing audio beeps helps a poo poo load. Even if doesn't I'll probably be able to get a grant from the VA to help me get them installed.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) My current car sits low to the ground with sporty tires and with Chicago winters and the horrible state of our roads I need something that isn't low to the ground. I'm spending a lot of money on tire alignments and with it low to the ground I'm worried about running over those concrete stoppers in parking spaces or even curbs. I would also like something that I can start learning to work on. I'm nervous about loving with my BMW especially after my stepdad, who has worked on cars his entire life, told me he wouldn't touch it.

So yeah, something reliable that I would be able to work on that isn't low to the ground and is good in winter.

Your needs seem pretty general. A late model Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, or Toyota Rav4 would be a good place to start.

The Hyundai Kona or Kia Sportage might also be worth a look.

Drive a few and see what stands out. Most manufacturers have both larger and smaller models of the same platform if you want to adjust.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Apparently KIA Stinger is not selling well at all, and they are being pushed put with 0%/60m and heaps of money under MSRP.

I guess making a great car isn't enough to sell one with a Kia badge on it. :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

I guess making a great car isn't enough to sell one with a Kia badge on it. :(

Premium buyers don't want to deal with lovely Kia dealers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Premium buyers don't want to deal with lovely Kia dealers.

It's been 3 days and I still don't have a commitment on when I can take the Aston in to get the suspension looked at and nobody is returning my calls or emails. I had better luck with the Kia dealership.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Deteriorata posted:

Your needs seem pretty general. A late model Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, or Toyota Rav4 would be a good place to start.

The Hyundai Kona or Kia Sportage might also be worth a look.

Drive a few and see what stands out. Most manufacturers have both larger and smaller models of the same platform if you want to adjust.

Reading the OP it seemed like there can be differences in quality between years. Are there certain years of those I should avoid like the plague?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

Reading the OP it seemed like there can be differences in quality between years. Are there certain years of those I should avoid like the plague?

No, at your price point none of the vehicles Deteriorata listed have had any major problems.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Nitrox posted:

From what I could find, a GT AWD costs the dealer around $38K and there are up to $4K of mfg incentives on the table, as well as 0% financing up to 60 months. So $34K before tax should be doable if the dealer is motivated. Am I missing anything?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
So after a few weeks of back and forth and a test drive of the Stinger GT, I think I'm moving toward a new 2019 Civic Si sedan as my next daily. It's definitely a few clicks too far on the boy racer scale for me at the ripe age of 33, but I'm not sure there's anything else on the market that otherwise checks the boxes quite like it.

Looking for some input from the Internet to understand if I'm missing something. Other cars I've considered shortlisting include a lightly used IS350, a lightly used GTI, a new or almost new Mazda 3 and the Stinger GT. I'm afraid the Mazda wouldn't check the fun box, and the Stinger, while fun in a straight line, felt too hefty around corners... and if honest with myself, its power would be more of a dirty temptation than anything.

Proposed Budget: max $30k

New or Used: either but lightly used if going that direction

Body Style: 4 door car. Hatch or sedan.

How will you be using the car?: commuting 50 miles total most work days; occasional weekend errands; trips to the airport 40 miles away; occasional 500 mile round trips for business.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Phone integration would be good. I'm honestly shying away from the modern safety stuff because I don't want the intrusion. Have driven enough rental cars to be a bit concerned. Heated seats and a backup camera would be good.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Fun to drive (60/40 handling/speed), reliability, MPG, in that order. Needs to be either FWD or AWD.

Edit: guess I should add manual or automatic is fine

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 10, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sits on Pilster posted:

I'm honestly shying away from the modern safety stuff because I don't want the intrusion. Have driven enough rental cars to be a bit concerned.

It's important to note that all those features can usually be 100% disabled in settings. Plus many have granular sensitivity.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004

Something Offal posted:

It's important to note that all those features can usually be 100% disabled in settings.

Indeed good to know. So won't exclude any cars that have them but I wouldn't want to pay for them.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Sits on Pilster posted:

So after a few weeks of back and forth and a test drive of the Stinger GT, I think I'm moving toward a new 2019 Civic Si sedan as my next daily. It's definitely a few clicks too far on the boy racer scale for me at the ripe age of 33, but I'm not sure there's anything else on the market that otherwise checks the boxes quite like it.

Looking for some input from the Internet to understand if I'm missing something. Other cars I've considered shortlisting include a lightly used IS350, a lightly used GTI, a new or almost new Mazda 3 and the Stinger GT. I'm afraid the Mazda wouldn't check the fun box, and the Stinger, while fun in a straight line, felt too hefty around corners... and if honest with myself, its power would be more of a dirty temptation than anything.

Proposed Budget: max $30k

New or Used: either but lightly used if going that direction

Body Style: 4 door car. Hatch or sedan.

How will you be using the car?: commuting 50 miles total most work days; occasional weekend errands; trips to the airport 40 miles away; occasional 500 mile round trips for business.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Phone integration would be good. I'm honestly shying away from the modern safety stuff because I don't want the intrusion. Have driven enough rental cars to be a bit concerned. Heated seats and a backup camera would be good.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Fun to drive (60/40 handling/speed), reliability, MPG, in that order. Needs to be either FWD or AWD.

Edit: guess I should add manual or automatic is fine

buy a mini cooper :getin:

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004

Glans Dillzig posted:

buy a mini cooper :getin:

Aren't those not particularly reliable? I'm good with more repairs than a Prius but let's not get too crazy.

I also considered a lightly used F30 after some commentary on this forum. I'll check myself but does it have the same drivetrain as the Mini?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sits on Pilster posted:

Aren't those not particularly reliable? I'm good with more repairs than a Prius but let's not get too crazy.

I also considered a lightly used F30 after some commentary on this forum. I'll check myself but does it have the same drivetrain as the Mini?

Strongly consider the F30, man. I think it's so much more car than a Civic Si, GTI, Mazda3. German luxos of 2012ish, 2013ish forward are much more reliable than before, and in fact the reputation for bad reliability keeps depreciation high which is nice for picking them up used. I hope more people don't figure this out and drive used prices up :P

If you're looking at an F30 consider a 2013+ A4 as well, it competes very nicely.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I'll test drive one, thanks.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

A 3-series will get you the same maintenance experience as the Mini, but is a much more comfortable car for longer drives. Neither are as cheap or easy to own long term as a Civic, but maybe the German ownership experience is worth it for you.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Proposed Budget: <$15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commuting under 30 miles a day; maybe one or two 500 mile roadtrips a year
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost, mpg

My basic question is there any reason not to bite on this 2016 Honda Civic EX? That's what my instincts are telling me to go with, but I'm deeply ignorant about cars so I don't know if I should trust them.

I'm looking for a comfortable car that I can trust to be reliable for the next 120,000 miles/7-10 years. Fuel efficiency would be good too, of course. Would going after that car be a mistake, or are there better alternatives available?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2016 is Year 1 of the tenth generation Civic so there may be some small things that got improved in later model years.. But it has the 2.0 rather than the 1.5T so you've taken out a big chunk of potential unreliability. It's a decent buy, though it's seen a fair number of miles. It should make it to 200,000 without too much issue.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Proposed Budget: <$30k, preferably closer to 25k or 20k
New or Used: New/Used
Body Style: 4 door compact not-total-dad-yet SUV
How will you be using the car?: No commuting for work (I work from home), but living in Vegas I'll have to drive to do absolutely anything since it's basically a giant suburb. Also I'll need to regularly (probably every couple of weeks) go back and forth to LA, which is a 500 mile trip combined.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Nope.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, CarPlay, reliability, mpg, extra cargo space for utility, AWD would be nice if I have to ski place. Doesn't need to be sexy or impress the ladies.

I'm thinking that a 2017-2019 range Rav4 hybrid or the CR-V could be both pretty viable. I don't mind (too much) getting it new since they seem to hold value OKish or I'll just own it forever and run it into the ground. I also suspect they break fairly little and should be really brain dead simple to fix anywhere. I just want the loving thing to work and to have to think about that the least amount of time possible. I'm also somewhat paranoid about safety, and it seems like both as of recent do a decent job at keeping you in one piece if you get hit, and they do stuff to prevent you from hitting people around you if you are being a dipshit.

Thanks in advance.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 13, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unless you want the hybrid for non-financial reasons, you aren't going to be driving enough to make it pay off.

Also consider the perennial thread favorite Mazda CX-5.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless you want the hybrid for non-financial reasons, you aren't going to be driving enough to make it pay off.

Also consider the perennial thread favorite Mazda CX-5.

Those are good points, fair enough. And yes, the Mazda seems super comparable as well. At this point it all feels like picking Marlboro vs Camels, more of a fashion statement than evidence-based choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

As far as I'm concerned the CX-5 is an objectively better vehicle in everything other than maybe some space utilization, so no, it's not really a fashion statement.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As far as I'm concerned the CX-5 is an objectively better vehicle in everything other than maybe some space utilization, so no, it's not really a fashion statement.

Fair enough, let me dig into this one deeper, thanks for pushing back :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My info is six years out of date now, but at least in 2013... the CX-5 was maybe a bit better, but "best handling affordable crossover" is still "crossover", not "sports car". And at least at the time Mazda wanted $2k more for an equally-trimmed CX-5 vs the CR-V LX.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really hate CVTs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honda's is honestly good. Stomp on the throttle at any speed and it does a much better job of getting the engine into the right rev range than the 5-speed auto.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The new Rav4 hybrid has a big jump in efficiency over the non-hybrid (and previous gen hybrid), for not that much more $ per equivalent trim, that would easily pay for itself. Just go drive a cx5, crv, and rav4 and pick the one with the best tradeoffs for you.

they also finally have loving carplay and get some anti-collision stuff (with active cruise control!) by default.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honda's is honestly good. Stomp on the throttle at any speed and it does a much better job of getting the engine into the right rev range than the 5-speed auto.

What were the bad years for Honda CVTs anyway, I know they had some horrible ones years ago but my 98 is still running fine.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My 2010 Prius cvt is boring AF.

Reliable though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shovelbum posted:

What were the bad years for Honda CVTs anyway, I know they had some horrible ones years ago but my 98 is still running fine.

Honda had a bad run of automatics in the late 90s - early 2000s, with the worst by far being the ones behind V6s in their larger vehicles. The four cylinder versions seemed to hold up alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The Craiglist is chuck full of early 2000's civics, hybrid and not hybrid, with broken transmissions.