Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is really interesting. Do you take quick hands and/or put throwing weapons on your front line melee guys? Or is it just for second line guys? Do you pump points into ranged attack? How is it balanced with melee?

I took quick hands/bags and just used them like I would any other second line guy. Every level I upped ranged attack, fatigue, and ranged defense or HP. I pretty much built them as nimble archers but with throwing and used them more aggressively. If you get caught and use footwork to take a step back and then throw you still do +40% damage so its not really that big of a deal if you get caught. I considered not taking any ranged guys at all but its very helpful to get the enemy to charge your lines if you have ranged superiority and the AI doesn't seem to make a distinction between a throwing weapon or a bow as far as deciding if they should charge on turn one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I'm on about day 20 of a Raider start, and I think it's one of the better ones early on if you find a seed where one faction controls most/all of the southern half of the map. You almost never need to throw dagger parties for your early armor upgrades unless you're starved for bandits to fight, and you get a little more income from the other assorted bonus drops. Plus you start with three units at level 4 with decent early game armor! I think my campaign might stall out soon though, I fell behind on recruiting partially from forgetting how the game works and also due to no loving ranged backgrounds showing up for recruitment anywhere leaving me with like one ranged unit to work with total.

The lack of halfway decent ranged backgrounds- as well as a lack of clarity on how exactly the game scales difficulty relative to your company size- is the biggest reason I'm not just slamming the Militia button at game creation and never looking back.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
What I don't like about militia is that the limited backgrounds just cost you too many fun or interesting events. Think ministrel, monk, historian and many more.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish there were more ranged background options. Needing magical forests for their rare crops of Hunters and Poachers is one of the more annoying parts of BB.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hammerstein posted:

What I don't like about militia is that the limited backgrounds just cost you too many fun or interesting events. Think ministrel, monk, historian and many more.

yeah this is my gripe with the militia background.

Since my avatar is Croaker, I always hire any historian I come across and hope one will be good.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I always hire every rat catcher I see and nothing will stop me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

I really wish there were more ranged background options. Needing magical forests for their rare crops of Hunters and Poachers is one of the more annoying parts of BB.

Honestly the problem is just the way that backgrounds spawn, anything bigger than a little fishing village should have at least a chance of having some random backgrounds. Having a map spawn which gives good access to certain backgrounds such as hunters, brawlers and wildmen makes things much easier.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Genghis Cohen posted:

Barbarians are a great addition to the game. Just fought my first Chosen. Just 6 of them with no other units as back up, so I threw a dagger party and took them out quite handily. Didn't get any of the really cool helmets I was after though.

Loads of weapon questions:

- are the barbarian 2handed cleavers and axes any good?
-I often read that flails are great mid game as you can crown enemies who don't wear helmets, and they ignore shield bonuses. But they seem quite flat? I can't seem to find any flails beyond the generic ones you see brigand raiders with quite early on.
- are 1handed swords strictly worse than axes or hammers? Maces? I understand the utility of the special abilities, but no idea about how the maths of damage works out against armour. Cleavers?
-final question, are daggers purely for backup or is it viable to have a shield and dagger bro shanking people up like a roman legionary?

1 - yes, especially against undead. Cleavers can have trouble against heavily armoured foes, but are fantastic against anyone you can reliably deal physical damage to, and the 2H cleavers do a ton of base damage.

2 - ignore these people, flails are the poo poo. The big problem with flails is that the base attack has a bonus to hit the head, and the special guarantee's a head hit, so when you start hitting things with 200+ armor/head armor, you're wasting damage if you're attacking both. You make up for this by giving flails to people with 15% bonus damage to head, or teaming them up with other flail bro's or guys with a generic bonus to hit the head, or someone with a 2H axe as it hits head/body every time on its base. A flail bro surrounded by people who aren't going to be doing head damage drops off significantly against heavily armored enemies (orc champs/mercs/knights/etc) but even then you can target the more lightly head armored people in their groups with your flail bro (goblins/squires). I usually keep 1 or 2 on the edge of my wall and use them to flank. 3 headed flail wrecks geists, too, but is otherwise unimpressive.

3 - swords was fully answered, good damage base and a 10% bonus but riposte is meh at best. They're nice for versatility, though, as they do well against fleshy opponents and armored opponents.

5 - Stilleto's can absolutely wreck people, but you need good to hit and a poo poo ton of stamina for one dedicated dagger bro - Wildmen are pretty decent at it, especially if they get iron lungs. Once you have fearsome and dagger spec they become great, especially against Orcs - even orc champions have poo poo for morale.

Dreylad posted:

I'm not 100% sure about this but I believe headless zombies can't self-resurrect but they can be resurrected by a necromancer.

I've never seen a headless zombie come back, but the undead hero's can resurrect without a head.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Night10194 posted:

Sellswords are another option, although they are often stupidly expensive. But when you see a Sellsword with a ranged weapon in the town roster, there's a good chance he has a decent ranged stat. They also have better ranged def than hunters. Highest Sellsword RA roll is 52, highest for Hunter is 59.

Below that is Witch Hunter, Poacher, Beast Slayer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ha3Jj--NRVuA7XE2GPMFz_6HFk832MJviMDQI3Ww1mc/edit#gid=1266845488

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Just got a vagabond with 56 melee attack, 3 stars in melee, melee defense, and 2 in fatigue. A true murder hobo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheAnomaly posted:

Once you have fearsome and dagger spec they become great, especially against Orcs - even orc champions have poo poo for morale.
Fearsome does nothing when you use Puncture.
And Orcs have decent Resolve, but even Orc Young have 125 HP so Resolve is still definitely the weak point here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I might have a new favorite trading seed: ROBINHOOD in all caps. Two dye villages at the bottom, good citadels. No gems though sadly. Not sure where the golden goose is on it.

Edit: the goose is easily accessible north of the leftward of the two dye villages.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 14, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I might have a new favorite trading seed: ROBINHOOD in all caps. Two dye villages at the bottom, good citadels. No gems though sadly. Not sure where the golden goose is on it.

RUISXSZSKG is my Merchant map and has 2 gem mines and a salt mine within half a day's walk of one another.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

RUISXSZSKG is my Merchant map and has 2 gem mines and a salt mine within half a day's walk of one another.

Neat! Any idea where the goose is?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neat! Any idea where the goose is?

Not at all, I've never found a goose in any playthrough. Still, I randomly generated that seed for trying Merchant and was like 'Oh sweet a gem mine' and then 'oh wow two gem mines' and then 'oh there's salt too' and now my men are incredibly rich.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

wtf is a golden goose, i've played like 300 hours and never even heard of it before

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

wtf is a golden goose, i've played like 300 hours and never even heard of it before

gives you like 15 gold per day or you can sell for like 300...just keep it in inventory to make money...IMHO selling it is shortsighted but sometimes necessary

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Reign Of Pain posted:

gives you like 15 gold per day or you can sell for like 300...just keep it in inventory to make money...IMHO selling it is shortsighted but sometimes necessary

Actually you get between 3000 and 4200 gold for selling it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Class Warcraft posted:

Actually you get between 3000 and 4200 gold for selling it.

Can be even higher if you get the perfect combo of popularity and events, I think.

Basically you keep it till you hit a GREAT day to sell it then sell.

If you can get it early, it'll obviously goose a start.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

If you can get it early, it'll obviously goose a start.

NO

Unrelated, but has anyone managed to get a hold of the new Scimitar weapon? I swear I saw one for sale in a weaponsmith but didn't have anywhere near the cash to check it out. Is it just a regular sword with Slash/Riposte and different stats?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

NO

Unrelated, but has anyone managed to get a hold of the new Scimitar weapon? I swear I saw one for sale in a weaponsmith but didn't have anywhere near the cash to check it out. Is it just a regular sword with Slash/Riposte and different stats?

You start with one on one of your guards as a Merchant. It's kinda poo poo. It's a Falchion with slightly less armor damage and a lovely special attack that works exactly like Slash except without the +10% to hit, with twice the Fatigue cost, and the only benefit being -33% to Injury Threshold.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One of the issue with getting bros with ranged backgrounds is they tend to be pretty expensive. I guess you don't need that many of them, but it takes a little while before you're going to drop 1-1.5k on a hunter or even more on a witch hunter or sellsword. Witch Hunters used to be my go-to but it feels like they've made them more expensive in exchange for most of them starting with a level or two.

TheAnomaly posted:

I've never seen a headless zombie come back, but the undead hero's can resurrect without a head.

ahh that must be what I'm remembering, thanks.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dreylad posted:

One of the issue with getting bros with ranged backgrounds is they tend to be pretty expensive. I guess you don't need that many of them, but it takes a little while before you're going to drop 1-1.5k on a hunter or even more on a witch hunter or sellsword. Witch Hunters used to be my go-to but it feels like they've made them more expensive in exchange for most of them starting with a level or two.

ahh that must be what I'm remembering, thanks.

Witchhunters are unreliable for ranged stats too

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is enemy strength/numbers based on pure renown, or does number of characters in your party factor in? I've been doing the militia start, and it feels like there's way more raiders early game than the other starts. Fortunately it's actually possible to handle these raider groups with the militia numbers.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 14, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Broken Cog posted:

Is enemy strength/numbers based on pure renown, or does number of characters in your party factor in? I've been doing the militia start, and it feels like there's way more raiders early game than the other starts. Fortunately it's actually possible to handle these raider groups with the militia numbers.

Renown (allegedly) only affects payout and difficulty for contracts.

Lairs do not scale with roster strength (sum of levels in your roster), roaming enemies do but also have a significant RNG element. Imo firing your worse militia brothers is a good idea.

do note that you can't replace some of them though - this doesn't really matter for the mason but you might consider putting the minstrel in storage forever for his events

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks to everyone for the weapon explanations, very helpful.

Don't want to keep asking bone questions, but is there any firm knowledge of how asking for more money/money up front affects contracts? Should I always ask for more cash?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Who are the best YouTubers to watch to get good at this game?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

My problem with the Banner ambition not completing resolved itself after all, just took nearly ten days for it to trigger.

Are there any weapons with reach that can split shields? I would love for my back line to have this ability.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So for guys like minstrels and such, do you just leave them in camp or what? I don’t really have a good grasp on all the starting classes stuff.

Also is student the best first trait? It seems like it.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thanks to everyone for the weapon explanations, very helpful.

Don't want to keep asking bone questions, but is there any firm knowledge of how asking for more money/money up front affects contracts? Should I always ask for more cash?

From my limited early game experience, you can ask once and they’ll either do it or won’t. If they don’t, asking again will kill the contract. I always ask once.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 14, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

kidkissinger posted:

My problem with the Banner ambition not completing resolved itself after all, just took nearly ten days for it to trigger.

Are there any weapons with reach that can split shields? I would love for my back line to have this ability.

Long Axes will do this and do it well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Student is nice if you want to build for later perks. When you hit max level and get two picks for perks, it feels good. For a lot of people, though, its better in practice to pick a practical talent like colossus for tanks or bags and belts for archers getting ready to take quick hands.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Does anyone have recommendations for a Raiders of the North map? I'd like to head north and fight the barbarian kings for supremacy after a while, while building up some trust with the northern faction for repairs and loot sell. Ideally I'd also like to be able to do some caravan raiding against one faction, probably the middle one, looting and pillaging my way south now and then.

Some keepable starting bros, and decent south to build up in would be a bonus.

Noble war should be interesting :wiggle:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Raiders are hard but mostly because you need to remember you can't really take caravan missions until the houses stop hating you. That's a dead run.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

dogstile posted:

Raiders are hard but mostly because you need to remember you can't really take caravan missions until the houses stop hating you. That's a dead run.

Yes. But I the only caravan missions i will be taking with raiders is the :black101: kind :wiggle:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the cultist events are rough, half my team left after a particularly nasty sacrifice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

Man, the cultist events are rough, half my team left after a particularly nasty sacrifice.

I got lucky in my cultist game. Sacrificed a dude who I had literally only just got from an event. Cultist event pops so he dies. An ambition was completed immediately after and I only lost two people.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Turns out Schrats are, in fact, perfectly capable of doing their bullshit line attack without their shield.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

dogstile posted:

I got lucky in my cultist game. Sacrificed a dude who I had literally only just got from an event. Cultist event pops so he dies. An ambition was completed immediately after and I only lost two people.

Do cultists get alternate ambitions?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a Raiders of the North map? I'd like to head north and fight the barbarian kings for supremacy after a while, while building up some trust with the northern faction for repairs and loot sell. Ideally I'd also like to be able to do some caravan raiding against one faction, probably the middle one, looting and pillaging my way south now and then.

Some keepable starting bros, and decent south to build up in would be a bonus.

Noble war should be interesting :wiggle:

I've been using 'Hellworld'. Most of the south is open to you, bros have solid stats/traits, and the top most friendly city has a hunter lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm also playing Hellworld but with peasant militia, and I'm really enjoying it. There's a great network of cities in the south that's all one big noble faction, tons of armorers and weaponsmiths and mining towns full of tools, and a decent northern section too for all your barbarian needs. My only real complaint is that there's actually no road leading between the north and the south, so it's easy to never visit the other half of the map if you're getting lots of missions in one part.