Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

i'll double down: ff12 is the ugliest game i had the displeasure of spending money on, on the ps2.

uglier than suikoden 4. uglier than dynasty warriors 3

Get your eyes tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I appreciate FFXII's art style more than I like it. Practicality of some outfits aside, it's perhaps the only FF world outside of XIV (which owes a lot to XII anyway) that manages to feel like a real, cohesive, lived-in world to me. It makes internal sense, and looks and feels like a world that could work, which is more than could be said for almost every other FF game. Granted, I don't really call that a point against them, for the most part none of them are trying for that so it'd be like saying FFVI is bad at handling horror tropes, but I'll give credit where it's due to XII there.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love how final fantasy 12 looks when i'm in a town or some kind of cool setpiece and i don't love how it looks when the plot has decided to come screeching to a halt so i can trek across a desert for the next 4 hours

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i love how final fantasy 12 looks when i'm in a town or some kind of cool setpiece and i don't love how it looks when the plot has decided to come screeching to a halt so i can trek across a desert for the next 4 hours

Nam Yensa Sand Sea, a land of flowing sand and... oil refineries? I never realy got it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Nam Yensa Sand Sea, a land of flowing sand and... oil refineries? I never realy got it

Final Fantasy in a nutshell. They always just have some random future tech out of nowhere. Like even the original game has a space station as the next to last dungeon.

But yeah I am really enjoying 12 at times. It doesn't look as good HD compared to X's remake, but it still looks way better then the PS2. The Pharos dungeon does feel like the wall textures weren't improved from the PS2 days, but it a giant dungeon.

Regardless of annoying dungeon or deserts that go on, you can always just use a auto battle gambit and put on fast forward to skip ahead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think I’m the only one who thought the Pharos was fun. Then again I also adore the Great Crystal.

I really, really like XII.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HD DAD posted:

Then again I also adore the Great Crystal.

How is clinical insanity working out for you?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, XII is my favourite single player FF and I loving hate the Great Crystal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't mind the Pharos but Great Crystal and Giruvegan can just eat my entire rear end

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I made the mistake of going back into the Great Crystal as soon as I finished the plot there because god drat Hastega was behind a gate.

Several hours later: I walk out with every bit of treasure, Ultima, and my main team about 8 levels ahead of the others.

Never again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I keep getting lost even with a guide handy. I think I'm just gonna accept that I'm never going to get Hastega.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Rirse posted:

Final Fantasy in a nutshell. They always just have some random future tech out of nowhere. Like even the original game has a space station as the next to last dungeon.

One thing I like to compare FF1 in a sense to are the early Ultima games. They were both inspired by D&D, although FF put it in the context of DQ and the console form factor. Ultima has the Space Shuttle that fought TIE Fighters because Richard Garriott’s father was the astronaut Owen Garriott. :c00l:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Ultima 3 on the NES would be a better game if the battle system wasn’t so tedious as gently caress. It is grind the game to a screeching halt bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I think I’m the only one who thought the Pharos was fun. Then again I also adore the Great Crystal.

I really, really like XII.

i loving love XII and also liked the Pharos but basically just tune out ffxii talk on here anymore, tbh

great crystal just kind of... sucks though. you can make a confusing dungeon and also not have it be a bunch of circles connected arbitrarily

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ff12 good. Great crystal bad. Case closed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would say the Pharos is one of the best final dungeons in the series. It just has great atmosphere and really feels like "this...this is it!"

Now I think on it, that's one area my beloved FFX fails utterly. Sin is such a lovely final dungeon, at least after the first kinda cool part. The music for it sucks so hard and it's totally uninteresting to look at. And how about that collecting lights minigame you have to do before you can fight Jecht? Love doing that multiple times back in the days before YouTube when I wanted to enjoy some of the best scenes in the game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I would say the Pharos is one of the best final dungeons in the series. It just has great atmosphere and really feels like "this...this is it!"

Now I think on it, that's one area my beloved FFX fails utterly. Sin is such a lovely final dungeon, at least after the first kinda cool part. The music for it sucks so hard and it's totally uninteresting to look at. And how about that collecting lights minigame you have to do before you can fight Jecht? Love doing that multiple times back in the days before YouTube when I wanted to enjoy some of the best scenes in the game.

Something that every FF game had up to then was a memorable and hype-generating final dungeon theme. I can't recall FFX's final dungeon theme at all. I also don't remember much from the dungeon besides the final Seymour fight, and then the Jecht fight and everything beyond.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fran and viera look kinda freaky especially their hosed up hands and feet and it rules. It's weird that the renders of Fran show her with, essentially, high heels but the in-game model has weird claw toe things with a heel presumably soldered onto the sole of her foot.

In any event I wish FFXIV Viera had the freaky looking hands that FFXII Viera have.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Something that every FF game had up to then was a memorable and hype-generating final dungeon theme. I can't recall FFX's final dungeon theme at all. I also don't remember much from the dungeon besides the final Seymour fight, and then the Jecht fight and everything beyond.

Because the dungeon has two themes and they are both just re-used from earlier on. The Sea of Sorrow has the song that plays when you flee the Guado after killing Seymour and the post-Seymour "city" area of Sin has a song I know is from earlier on but I can't quite place it.

The dungeon being so short and having no original music almost makes me think the whole thing was an afterthought and they put all effort into the bosses and cutscenes.

It really is a notable blemish on an otherwise great game. FFIV re-used Within the Giant and Red Wings but at least those are amazing songs. Also FFIV's final dungeon kinda sucked, too. But VI-IX all hit it out the park in terms of gameplay, music and visuals. I really can't say what happened with X.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looking at the FF Wiki, the concept art for inside Sin is pretty rad. I’m guessing PS2 limitations had something to do with reeling it back a bit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Luv 2 eat Sins butthole and wander around the cloudy wet stuff until you fight the guy with awesome prog playing, then wander through the nightmare logic hallways until you fight the guy with awesome nu metal playing.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I’ve been playing XII on handheld mode for the Switch since I got it, and today I had the house to myself for a couple hours and docked it up on the TV for the first time.

Holy poo poo it looked loving GREAT. The salikawood is gorgeous.

Also, can we talk about how great of a design the Bombs have in all the games? They’re the best looking enemies in XII by a long shot. Screw chocobos, bombs should be the series mascot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I’ve been playing XII on handheld mode for the Switch since I got it, and today I had the house to myself for a couple hours and docked it up on the TV for the first time.

Holy poo poo it looked loving GREAT. The salikawood is gorgeous.

Also, can we talk about how great of a design the Bombs have in all the games? They’re the best looking enemies in XII by a long shot. Screw chocobos, bombs should be the series mascot.

I actually think Marlboros are my favorite monster design across all the games. I love that their look is exceedingly consistent, and that they are always kind of an "oh poo poo just got real" enemy to face. I think the first time you run into them in XII they are really tough. I liked the fight in XV but I was massively overleveled for pretty much the entirety of the game after doing nearly all the side quests in chapter 3.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm a tonberry man, m'self

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I like the little blue slimes.

Wait, poo poo.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Cactaur for life.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite design are Malboros.

My favorite concept is Catoblepas, because whoever came up with it did a lot of research and decided to use said research in the most literal ways possible in a manner that genuinely surprised me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tonberry and Behemoth are my favorite.

X does them both great justice and might be why I love them both so much to this day.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love me some Cactuars and appreciate their lack of animation quite a lot.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Hector Delgado posted:

Cactaur for life.

All cactuars are good. Except FF12 cactuar.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

One time my best friend and I smoked salvia and fought bombs and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Moogles for me.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nam Yensa Sand Sea, a land of flowing sand and... oil refineries? I never really got it

Ivalice in XII is pretty technologically advanced. It's just operating on a different set of rules (mist) and doesn't use the cultural shorthands we normally use to denote technological advancement. There's a sense of world building where everything is built on the ruins of older civilizations. Like I remember one of the underground passages you sneak through is a railway that fell into disuse with the advent of airships because it had to be constantly defended against mist creatures that consumed metal and electricity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you'll have to be more specific

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Which locations do you think that could refer to?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite monster is Marche.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ninjewtsu posted:

Which locations do you think that could refer to?

a good 50% of the game takes place in underground hallways with monsters that eat electricity and metal

just because i'm actually serious and not loving with you, off the top of my head he could be referring to nethicite mines, or any one of the optional areas in the desert, or the exit half from the prison. all these places have train tracks and are packed full of indistinguishable monsters that fit the bill

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 14, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

two of those are the same place

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

a good 50% of the game takes place in underground hallways with monsters that eat electricity and metal

That's not a real answer, but also wrong. We do get that you don't like XII, though.

Oh, you expanded your answer. Well still wrong; that only describes the Barheim Passage. There were also rails in the mines in Bhujerba, but literally nothing else about the description applies to that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Behemoths have a great design but I feel traumatised after getting absolutely bodied by the Behemoth in Monster Hunter World.