Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tsyni posted:

So I bought my Switch about two weeks ago and have been playing it sporadically. I played BotW for the first time for a few hours today and at one point my right joycon wasn't being recognized as attached to the Switch. It worked fine when both joycons were off, but when attached it told me I needed to press L+R and it showed the right joycon as not attached. I pressed the little sync button on the side of joycon and it seemed to fix it. Is this just a thing that can happen once in a while, or is it a sign that there is an issue with the connection on that side?

It can happen once in awhile. Nothing to worry about. Go into settings, then controllers to update your joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It owns so much the first time you pull a bomb arrow while in the volcano.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I love BOTW, but giving it a 10/10 is crazy to me. There are so many flaws.

I'm not gonna make a case for or against BOTW getting a 10/10 but I will just say that 10/10 does not mean "perfect game"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

BoTW is a game where the sum is much greater than the whole of the parts. Sure, it has flaws, but it's still a 10/10 for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm not gonna make a case for or against BOTW getting a 10/10 but I will just say that 10/10 does not mean "perfect game"

That’s kind of the problem with reviews then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only perfect game is Tetris. The Game Boy one.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I will absolutely give it a 10 out of 10 as long as we understand that I'm not saying that it is a perfect game, but that I'm saying that it is in the highest echelon of worthwhile gaming experiences.

The game was so incredibly refreshing and unique after however many decades of design inertia.

The things it gets right strongly outweigh the flaws in my book. And there's never going to be a perfect game unless you want to get reductive and play You Win. There are no flaws at all in You Win and you always win (surely a good thing) but that does not make it a worthwhile experience.

E:

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only perfect game is Tetris. The Game Boy one.

Nuh-uh. They got the A and B musics backward.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I recall when EGM was still around that a 10 out of 10 didn’t mean a perfect game that wasn’t flawed. Granted reviews in general people don’t pay attention to them anyways so :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I seriously dropped my joycons I was laughing so hard.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 10/10 rating system for games is dumb in general. I know people here don’t like GameXplain but I think they have the right idea with their hate/meh/liked/loved rating system.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i like gamexplain

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I rate every game as either meh or GOTY. There were a lot of GOTYs in 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Len posted:

I rate every game as either meh or GOTY. There were a lot of GOTYs in 2017

Still a better system than 10/10.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The 10/10 system doesn’t make sense because to me that says a mediocre game should be a 4-7, with bad games being 1-3 and timeless classics hitting 8-10. That was always how a ten scale made sense to me.

But 7-8 is firmly in the mediocre territory for almost every publication so it’s basically just a 5 point scale everyone is using wrong and that starts at 5 and goes to 10.

It’s like the worst of both worlds.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The 10/10 system doesn’t make sense because to me that says a mediocre game should be a 4-7, with bad games being 1-3 and timeless classics hitting 8-10. That was always how a ten scale made sense to me.

But 7-8 is firmly in the mediocre territory for almost every publication so it’s basically just a 5 point scale everyone is using wrong and that starts at 5 and goes to 10.

It’s like the worst of both worlds.

it's the american grading system, where 70 is barely a passing grade

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

me: "... oh. oohhhhhh."

then i grilled some meat because why not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

i like gamexplain

they've not wronged me yet on making a decision, at least--including in the negative (I ignored some warnings about Octopath Traveller that... well, i've only got a couple hours in it in months, lets say. We were mentioning Switch moneywastes upthread? That's mine :()

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Gamexplain, except when they won't shut up about Disney theme parks. Ask me if I give a gently caress Andre

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tsyni posted:

So I bought my Switch about two weeks ago and have been playing it sporadically. I played BotW for the first time for a few hours today and at one point my right joycon wasn't being recognized as attached to the Switch. It worked fine when both joycons were off, but when attached it told me I needed to press L+R and it showed the right joycon as not attached. I pressed the little sync button on the side of joycon and it seemed to fix it. Is this just a thing that can happen once in a while, or is it a sign that there is an issue with the connection on that side?
Run qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol along the joycon rails and the switch rail connectors. It's most likely just dust.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's the DLC for BotW worth it? Should I get it right away before I get too far in?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tsyni posted:

It's the DLC for BotW worth it? Should I get it right away before I get too far in?

The gear that comes in the DLCs are placed around the world so getting it early wouldn't be a bad idea so you don't have to backtrack to places later

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Brother Entropy posted:

The gear that comes in the DLCs are placed around the world so getting it early wouldn't be a bad idea so you don't have to backtrack to places later

Especially the horse armor.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'd say the DLC is worth buying, yes, but I'll still die on the hill of Master Mode Sucks and the Trials Aren't That Great Either (and sadness to ye who combine the two)

Champion's Ballad rules tho, along with the aforementioned scattered swag

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like Gamexplain, except when they won't shut up about Disney theme parks. Ask me if I give a gently caress Andre

I love Disney theme parks but I can't stand overproduced YouTube videos

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I’ve enjoyed it so far. It adds some extra cutscenes and a new dungeon.

I waited until the end of the game to buy it, and so I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to use the extra costumes. So I would recommend buying it after you finish 2 Divine Beasts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just finished playing through FF7 for the first time in... the new millennium. I forgot the final disc was like three fairly easy fights (even though I didn't use Knights of the Round) and then a billion cutscenes, credits, then some post-credits cutscenes. kind of a letdown.

still def worth 20bux though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finished it yesterday too. And then decided to watch Advent Children right after.

I didn't realize it until he showed up in AC, but the voice I read Cid in my head was AJ Styles. Now I'm gonna be disappointed if they get anyone else for the remake.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Advent Children loving rips rear end and is super fun to watch even a decade later.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I should watch it again, the only thing I remember is someone jumping one thousand feet into the air and then throwing Cloud upward so he can meet up with the next person who jumped two thousand feet into the air who then throws him upward etc, but I forget why or to what end

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

indigi posted:

I should watch it again, the only thing I remember is someone jumping one thousand feet into the air and then throwing Cloud upward so he can meet up with the next person who jumped two thousand feet into the air who then throws him upward, but I forget why or to what end

To kill the summon monster in the air.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dandy Dungeon is one of my all time favorite RPGs (along with the other DD) and was basically my dream Switch port (along with the other DD). WTF cant believe they're both gonna be here now!

The dude that did the localization did this LP of it where he tells some funny stories about working with Kimura (who he also worked with on No More Heroes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFo4dt0918

Seriously a great game. but yeah it has a bit of japan creepiness in places (so does Dragon's Dogma tbh, with its romance system and 1000 year old witch that looks 14, etc.), but at least is making fun of it. The gameplay is perfect for Switch. I always wanted to play it on my TV.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

To kill the summon monster in the air.

does Aeris make an appearance

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

conventionalcat posted:

Dandy Dungeon is one of my all time favorite RPGs (along with the other DD) and was basically my dream Switch port (along with the other DD). WTF cant believe they're both gonna be here now!

The dude that did the localization did this LP of it where he tells some funny stories about working with Kimura (who he also worked with on No More Heroes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFo4dt0918

Seriously a great game. but yeah it has a bit of japan creepiness in places (so does Dragon's Dogma tbh, with its romance system and 1000 year old witch that looks 14, etc.), but at least is making fun of it. The gameplay is perfect for Switch. I always wanted to play it on my TV.

is this version of the port gonna carry over any of the special events? curious how a potential offline port will be different from the old version

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no idea but I hope it isn't offline only. ideally they'd relaunch it on mobile with crossplay since the social gaming elements were part of the charm, but i'd be down to try playing it offline only (i had stopped playing by the time they shut down so haven't tried the dead mobile version)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dandy Dungeon like the free 2 play mobile game? Is this like how the Switch has Mom Hid My Game only I stead of it being a free game that only takes ten minutes to finish it's $6?

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i suspect with updates to bypass the f2p restrictions which were better when worked around to the max with one-time DLC purchases anyway, hopefully

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Man I forgot about the maze walls. Those felt like an extra gently caress you because if you did you had to deal the flying ancient choppers. Granted back then i didn’t know to deal with them so it was just frantic running or just jumping off back into the maze.

Least up top you could see it coming before having to run your rear end off because you didn't have the firepower yet for those things. Man that maze was fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didnt like Splatoon 2. Not like, I dont recommend it to others, just it wasnt for me.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the latest on astral chain? it'll be out sooner than later and I'm curious my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Barudak posted:

I didnt like Splatoon 2. Not like, I dont recommend it to others, just it wasnt for me.

It’s one of those games I have to make an actual effort to play. Then I sit there saying to myself “this is fun, why don’t I do this more!?”

My girlfriend plays it all the time though. I like watching her play because we have two completely different play styles. I’ve got 25 years of FPS muscle memory behind me but she picked up the motion controls in 1 hour.