Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Question Mark Mound posted:

What kind of price range are the decent ones? I’m always kinda reluctant about screen protectors since I assume they leave a mess if you ever want to remove them which is why I was hoping to go down the coating route.

They peel right off, adhesive doesn’t stay stuck on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And mine was $12 for a 2-pack on Amazon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

… I hate everything about this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hah, nice. How much is the multiport splitter thing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I kinda don’t- because once I unplug it from the dongle I have a nice spartan iPad to cart around. Except the headphone jack, that one still drives me up a wall.

I’m never gonna buy AirPods, at least not as they exist now. The more one understands about how they’re made and how completely, unconscionably disposable they are (battery WILL die after ~18 months, nothing is recyclable or able to be disassembled- just a big glob of adhesive covering all of the recoverable mined elements and holding the drat things together) the more I come to despise Apple’s idea of what “courage” is.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is the tradeoff for trying to replace a laptop with an Ipad, Pro or otherwise.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It doesn't look flush. Is that just one of those USB-C hubs they've been selling for macbooks for years? I've been hesitant to try something with that design (as opposed to a normie hub with a cable) because the USB-c port on the laptop can wear out, and that looks like it'll put a lot more strain on it

e: I guess you wouldn't need the audio jack for a macbook yet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All these review sites keep reviewing these awful dongle type USB-C docks. One of the biggest problems with the dongles is that they have a fixed length, non replaceable cord. They're all garbage and most made by tiny companies to hit a very low price point, and that company won't exist next year when you need warranty repair.

Check out the ThinkPad USB-C Dock, it has all those ports, and you can use your own favored color/brand/length cord to hide the ugly thing in a drawer or filing cabinet, rather than attaching it like an ugly tumor to the side of it's head. I have the thunderbolt 3 version of this and it's loving fantastic with my MacBook pro.

Also the longer cable's weight is going to be ~50% supported by the table, rather than putting huge strain on the port.

I've yet to see any USB-C port fail yet, but if I were, it's because you were waving your iPad around with that tumor wrenching on it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Target put the smart keyboards on clearance for the 10.5" and 12.9" at half price. $79.50 and $84.50 respectively.

https://www.target.com/p/apple--174--smart-keyboard-for-10-5--ipad-pro---us-english/-/A-52656217
https://www.target.com/p/apple--174--ipad-pro-smart-keyboard/-/A-47956615

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sourdough posted:

Hah, nice. How much is the multiport splitter thing?

It’s a kickstarter product so my first reaction was “lol vaporware” but apparently it’s a real company behind it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrive-worlds-1st-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro-2018

They’ve even got this hilarious infomercial “it’s too hard” style gif:

e: I’m not marketing for them I swear.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I went to Apple with a buddy to get a 11 pro for his SO and after playing with the 12.9 I’m considering trading my 10.5 in for it. I draw on mine with a small Plex window open so more real estate and an updated pencil would be nice. Also doesn’t seem too clunky with the updated smaller bezel.

How real is the bending issue on these? It’s not unusual for me to put my iPad in a padded sleeve and slide it into my backpack or between some clothes in my suitcase. Should I get a more solid hard case for when I travel?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

So I went to Apple with a buddy to get a 11 pro for his SO and after playing with the 12.9 I’m considering trading my 10.5 in for it. I draw on mine with a small Plex window open so more real estate and an updated pencil would be nice. Also doesn’t seem too clunky with the updated smaller bezel.

How real is the bending issue on these? It’s not unusual for me to put my iPad in a padded sleeve and slide it into my backpack or between some clothes in my suitcase. Should I get a more solid hard case for when I travel?

I only use the Smart Keyboard Folio on my 12.9 and carry it around all the time. No bends. I have two slots in the padded laptop compartment, so the type of bag you use should inform your choice. I have a Timbuk 2 that has a separate laptop/tablet pocket in it. Everything else gets stuffed in the cavernous main pocket.

Now, if you're talking checked luggage or you're going the stuff the bag into an overhead compartment, then by all means get a hardcase.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the bending issue turn out to be a whole lot of nothing?

I had a weird issue with my 2nd gen 12.9 where it'd occasionally stop responding to touch while I was holding it. I didn't have to be pressing a touch-sensitive part, but I did have to be in contact with at least the glass bezel. When I adjusted the iPad's position, the problem would go away. Even stranger the Apple Pencil worked fine. I'd be using it in Procreate and suddenly find that I couldn't pinch to zoom or move the canvas with my fingers until I made sure no part of my body was touching the iPad. Apple's never heard of anything like that and I couldn't find anyone else with the same issue online. So no idea, but there was serious light leakage on one side. Perhaps some kind of manufacturing defect that manifested itself in a really weird way.

Fruit stand was great. I was in and out in 20 minutes for a weird issue no one could duplicate. Problem hasn't occurred again. :shrug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

All I remember is Apple saying some bending was within tolerances, some hubbub from users and media about it being unacceptable, then it just kinda died down presumably as coverage moved on to something else.

I’m hoping it was the usual early defect cycle where they quietly take in units and refine manufacturing to reduce occurrences without actually acknowledging it. Check anal forums like MacRumors I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had my 3rd gen since launch and traveled all over the world with it in my backpack with no issues.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rolo posted:

I can’t tell you how hardcore the 12.9 will hold up against various real world scenarios... but I’m on my 2nd 12.9 Pro and it’s flat as a board.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think BENDGATE was some people getting their $1K tablet pre-bent, out of the box, not that they are particularly bendy in use compared to any other ipad

Weedle
May 31, 2006

There was that video of the guy using his full strength to bend one in half. Apparently that translated to “basically paper” in the minds of the frothing masses of Reddit et al.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s a kickstarter product so my first reaction was “lol vaporware” but apparently it’s a real company behind it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrive-worlds-1st-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro-2018

They’ve even got this hilarious infomercial “it’s too hard” style gif:

e: I’m not marketing for them I swear.

I kickstarted this! It works really good, I use it on both my iPad and my MBP all the time. It does get a bit hot sometimes though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

There was that video of the guy using his full strength to bend one in half. Apparently that translated to “basically paper” in the minds of the frothing masses of Reddit et al.

No, it was definitely this

Clark Nova posted:

I think BENDGATE was some people getting their $1K tablet pre-bent, out of the box, not that they are particularly bendy in use compared to any other ipad

Which is why Apple responded with "some bend is normal and won't negatively impact usage", and lol if you're defending that

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had a weird issue with my 2nd gen 12.9 where it'd occasionally stop responding to touch while I was holding it. I didn't have to be pressing a touch-sensitive part, but I did have to be in contact with at least the glass bezel. When I adjusted the iPad's position, the problem would go away. Even stranger the Apple Pencil worked fine. I'd be using it in Procreate and suddenly find that I couldn't pinch to zoom or move the canvas with my fingers until I made sure no part of my body was touching the iPad. Apple's never heard of anything like that and I couldn't find anyone else with the same issue online. So no idea, but there was serious light leakage on one side. Perhaps some kind of manufacturing defect that manifested itself in a really weird way.

Fruit stand was great. I was in and out in 20 minutes for a weird issue no one could duplicate. Problem hasn't occurred again. :shrug:

My launch 3rd gen 12.9 had the same issue, things like swiping to bring up the dock would take 4-5 swipes to register. I did an express replacement (Free if you have AC+, just a hold on a CC) and my replacement has been great.

As for the bending, like people have said it's an out of the box issue- nothing to do with usage. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209403

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sourdough posted:

Which is why Apple responded with "some bend is normal and won't negatively impact usage", and lol if you're defending that

They said their tolerances are 400 microns and if it's more than that you're free to return it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Since there's a camera wart it won't sit flat on a table anyway so why does it matter if it's "bent"?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Just lol if you don’t have a lab grade caliper
with micrometer precision to check for bentness every night before you go to bed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Me, sweating and disheveled, returning my 15th iPad: i said STRAIGHT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trying to figure if I get an Air if I should go for the 256GB or just 64 if it will mostly just be used for web browsing, watching streaming vids and based on apple arcade perhaps some light gaming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

priznat posted:

Trying to figure if I get an Air if I should go for the 256GB or just 64 if it will mostly just be used for web browsing, watching streaming vids and based on apple arcade perhaps some light gaming.

64 should be fine honestly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

64 should be fine honestly.

Yeah that’s my thinking.. if it was 32 I would be concerned. Can put the price diff towards a keyboard or pencil.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

priznat posted:

Yeah that’s my thinking.. if it was 32 I would be concerned. Can put the price diff towards a keyboard or pencil.

If you like drawing and taking notes etc the pencil rules. It’s so satisfying to use with something like Procreate. That combo totally brought back my love for visual art.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you like drawing and taking notes etc the pencil rules. It’s so satisfying to use with something like Procreate. That combo totally brought back my love for visual art.

Me too. Holy cow me too. I hadn't drawn in YEARS. Decades. Now I love it. Brings me so much joy!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sourdough posted:

No, it was definitely this

Nah, it’s completely indefensible and if I ended up with one of those and they wouldn’t exchange it I’d do a chargeback asap

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feenix posted:

Me too. Holy cow me too. I hadn't drawn in YEARS. Decades. Now I love it. Brings me so much joy!

Right? It’s becoming a huge part of my life again :D It’s doubly surprising too because I really dislike doing anything virtual that is possible analog/real/whatever. The Apple Pencil feels so good that it got me past that and Procreate is such a well made app that I’m totally hooked. This is all on an og 12.9” too so I’m sure new iPads are even better in some ways.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I demand that all of my purchases be infinitely rigid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is the logitech crayon a better option at all than the og pencil or nah?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Is the logitech crayon a better option at all than the og pencil or nah?

The Crayon doesn't have pressure sensitivity and doesn't work with the Pro, so no.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok good to know!

It’s too bad the pencil gen 2 doesn’t work with the air but I guess they had no way to charge it then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

withak posted:

I demand that all of my purchases be infinitely rigid.

Boy do I have the tablet for you!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Right? It’s becoming a huge part of my life again :D It’s doubly surprising too because I really dislike doing anything virtual that is possible analog/real/whatever. The Apple Pencil feels so good that it got me past that and Procreate is such a well made app that I’m totally hooked. This is all on an og 12.9” too so I’m sure new iPads are even better in some ways.

I had the old 12.9. It was great with pencil and procreate. Somehow the new 12.9 is he t even better. It’s pretty amazing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just lol if you don’t have a lab grade caliper
with micrometer precision to check for bentness every night before you go to bed.

You pay $10 to post on an internet forum but you don't have $10 for a digital calliper? Let me guess do you just eyeball it when you pour pasta into the water, rather than use a $10 gram scale to do portion control, you fat gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You pay $10 to post on an internet forum but you don't have $10 for a digital calliper? Let me guess do you just eyeball it when you pour pasta into the water, rather than use a $10 gram scale to do portion control, you fat gently caress

Goodness gracious