Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

e&c is this you, cheryl lynn eaton just rt'd this and i noticed it was posted just a couple minutes after you made that post lol

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1128050068144181249

Yeah, that's me.

I realized after posting it here that it's honestly dumb enough to share with a greater audience.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had no idea about the 90% off ordering policy thing. Good heavens. It's almost like a pump and dump stock scam. "Look how well it sold, Netflix! Wanna take it to series? Eh? Eh?"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s gross and terrible. Goddam Millar.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah. I forgot Magic Order was a shock comic. There was even an orgy on the cover of one issue..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/tanklesbian/status/1127611507301343233

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I had no idea about the 90% off ordering policy thing. Good heavens. It's almost like a pump and dump stock scam. "Look how well it sold, Netflix! Wanna take it to series? Eh? Eh?"
I don't have any inside info but it's reasonable to assume that Netflix was in cahoots for this particular gimmick, considering that a lot of times the sort of bulk mass-discount orders are done to be mutually beneficial and amount to an under the table extra payoff between content providers (conservative pundits, pop musicians, in this case a company producing some comics and a lot of nerdy television films) and the venues where they appear (think tank conferences like CPAC, concert tours, Comicons).

There have been numerous similar mini-scandals with touring musical acts where Livenation or a similar concert promoter buys tons of a pop artists' album, bundles them into the ticket price for the tour, and then because a hell of a lot more people want to see U2 or Madonna live than they want a physical copy of their new CD in 2019 they get to brag about how they sold some huge-for-2019 number of copies of their brand new album and after so many years they can still be the #1 Billboard artist in the country. They do this sometimes for up-and-coming acts (Travis Scott and the Chainsmokers were two prominent examples) as sort of an insurance policy that the narrative as they launch the tour is "triumphant #1 artist embarks on first world tour" and not "dudes with a couple of hot singles have a disappointing album debut and now they're on tour I guess?"

So for the Magic Order deal, it's a win/win/win in that

a) Mark Millar/Millarworld can brag about what a huge debut the first corporate-owned Millarworld comic is, and the bloom is definitely not off the Millar rose, just look at what a smash hit his new series is!
b) Netflix can bask in the glow of a news cycle about how smart they were to buy up Millarworld and also when they invariably make the Magic Order TV show can say "from the record-breaking comics smash hit" or whatever
c) ReedPop can giveaway the comic/write it off as a business expense but also feel comfortable that NYCC/C2E2 are thought of kindly by Netflix when they're booking talent/buying floorspace/programming announcements for future Millarworld stuff, plus Umbrella Academy, plus Stranger Things, plus Altered Carbon, plus Black Mirror/The Witcher/Locke & Key/all their pseudo-Adult Swim stuff they're making.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Millar, X-O, in case you don't see what I asked in my thread:

Does a book being way out of print, with no realistic chance of it ever being re-released, affect the piracy rule any? There's no actual legal way to buy The Unfunnies and it's probably never resurfacing, given Millar's not exactly proud of having written it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Speaking of Millar, X-O, in case you don't see what I asked in my thread:

Does a book being way out of print, with no realistic chance of it ever being re-released, affect the piracy rule any? There's no actual legal way to buy The Unfunnies and it's probably never resurfacing, given Millar's not exactly proud of having written it.

No, we're still not posting full or near full issues on this forum. Being out of print doesn't mean it's public domain. You can use panels and pages to illustrate points in your thread up to a certain point. If you're doing a read along in the thread or whatever I have faith the people can find their own copies somehow.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, fair enough! I'll have to rethink my approach a little, but I should be able to do this still.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, that's me.

I realized after posting it here that it's honestly dumb enough to share with a greater audience.

Wait, I've been following a goon on Twitter?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

That Cap vs Hulk fight scene was pretty neat but I can't remember any of the story for either of them.

Still, the worst thing from those Marvel animated movies is the ending of Dr. Strange. It's even worse considering how great the ending of the live-action Strange movie is.

Live-action Dr. Strange ending: Strange faces Dormammu and knows that it's a battle he can never win physically. Instead, he uses cosmic magic, trickery and endless physical sacrifice to annoy Dormammu into an agreement and save Earth. Even then, this solution drives one of Strange's closest allies down a dark path.

Cartoon Dr. Strange ending: At some point in the movie, Mordo pointed out that Strange has the innate ability to absorb magic. Strange faces Dormammu and his attacks are of no use. Then he hears that Dormammu is made out of pure magic. He effortlessly absorbs Dormammu into himself and the movie just ends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of selling comics at a huge discount to artificially boost sales numbers, didn't the Cowboys versus Aliens guy just ship his book to comic stores whether or not they asked for it, so he could get a movie deal or something

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just re-read issue 1 of The Unfunnies and I want to drink until I die

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could just like, not read it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

You could just like, not read it

it is a grim responsibility i have placed upon my own shoulders, because gently caress Mark Millar, he doesn't get to just sweep this one under the loving rug

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like I should counsel you but I got in early on the bad comics train and picked the baby one. I've never even heard of this and am awaiting the posts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of selling comics at a huge discount to artificially boost sales numbers, didn't the Cowboys versus Aliens guy just ship his book to comic stores whether or not they asked for it, so he could get a movie deal or something

This is more or less correct.

Marvel also ships thousands of extra copies of books to retailers and counts them as sold copies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

This is more or less correct.

Marvel also ships thousands of extra copies of books to retailers and counts them as sold copies.

Why couldn't they do that with loving Wasp?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like I should counsel you but I got in early on the bad comics train and picked the baby one. I've never even heard of this and am awaiting the posts.

#1's in the thread already

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Because it was really important that GotG be the #1 best seller for some reason.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

#1's in the thread already

...Boy howdy was that a thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you want to talk about Unfunnies could you do it in the thread you specifically made about it, because I don't want to hear about it and I don't think it's bad in an interesting enough way to really be worth hearing about.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

If you want to talk about Unfunnies could you do it in the thread you specifically made about it, because I don't want to hear about it and I don't think it's bad in an interesting enough way to really be worth hearing about.

but that would mean less people paying attention to him which is unfathomable

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, uh, I'm just going to check out of that thread now. I tutored a child molestation victim, and there is no way I'm going to be able handle that filth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Stars a girl, has gay couple, the main cast is all women, and all of the agents of girl are poc

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he was one of a number of people around that time who started shopping a movie deal around for his comic before the comic existed and trying to fake the comic into being a success for the sake of getting a movie deal.

Oddly enough, scamming sales rankings is a huge thing in publishing in general. Publishing is one of the scummiest industries on earth and if there's a terrible thing you think that a publisher could do, someone has done it as a standard business practice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

site posted:

Stars a girl, has gay couple, the main cast is all women, and all of the agents of girl are poc

Almost like there is a sexist, racist, homophobic, and transphobic bias in comics?

Not mocking you, mocking the bullshit of the comics industry and my ever-shrinking tolerance of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I appreciate that Marvel keeps trying at least. She’ll probably get another “ongoing” in a year or so. Hopefully the trade sales are good. I’ll try and pick them up soon. I keep hearing great things.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is the way pretty much every big business works, all of their marketing effort goes towards making successful stuff more successful, not lifting up smaller projects. It's why there's a relentless marketing push to let everyone know Game of Thrones is coming back, but a tiny fraction of money/effort spent letting everyone know that Barry or Insecure are also returning, it's why blockbuster movies get more hype than arthouse films, why Coca Cola still spends the lion's share of its marketing budget reminding you that Coke exists instead of trying to lift up Smartwater or Odwalla or Monster or any of the other brands it owns.

It's dumb and annoying, but the theory always seems to be "if this ad can increase sales by X%, shouldn't we try to bump sales of a big seller rather than a small seller?" and this is wisdom followed by pretty much every big corporation on Earth, not just Marvel or some sort of backwards comic book industry stupidity.

Random Stranger posted:

Oddly enough, scamming sales rankings is a huge thing in publishing in general. Publishing is one of the scummiest industries on earth and if there's a terrible thing you think that a publisher could do, someone has done it as a standard business practice.
Again this is not in defense of publishing at all, but pretty much every big industry does it. Which is not to say that publishing is not scummy, it's just not uniquely scummy!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
At least Wasp came back!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Edge & Christian posted:

This is the way pretty much every big business works, all of their marketing effort goes towards making successful stuff more successful, not lifting up smaller projects. It's why there's a relentless marketing push to let everyone know Game of Thrones is coming back, but a tiny fraction of money/effort spent letting everyone know that Barry or Insecure are also returning, it's why blockbuster movies get more hype than arthouse films, why Coca Cola still spends the lion's share of its marketing budget reminding you that Coke exists instead of trying to lift up Smartwater or Odwalla or Monster or any of the other brands it owns.

It's dumb and annoying, but the theory always seems to be "if this ad can increase sales by X%, shouldn't we try to bump sales of a big seller rather than a small seller?" and this is wisdom followed by pretty much every big corporation on Earth, not just Marvel or some sort of backwards comic book industry stupidity.

Corporate America has a collective IQ of .5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am very thankful for the Sony email leaks for proving once and for all that corporate people are loving idiots who don't know what they're doing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

I am very thankful for the Sony email leaks for proving once and for all that corporate people are loving idiots who don't know what they're doing.

Except about Spectre. They were totally right about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I am sad about them because we're not getting the MIB/22JS crossover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Except about Spectre. They were totally right about that.

I didn't see those ones, did they know it was an incoherent mess?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

I didn't see those ones, did they know it was an incoherent mess?

Yes, although it was apparently even worse for a long while.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
claire napier has been posting in a thread over the last day about her dislike for horizontal panelling, which i find strange because i tend to prefer them against several smaller panels

https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1128264092781883392

what are yalls opinions on horizontal panels?

site fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 15, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

calire napier has been posting in a thread over the last day about her dislike for horizontal panelling, which i find strange because i tend to prefer them against several smaller panels

https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1128264092781883392

what are yalls opinions on horizontal panels?

I'm going to blame The Authority for popularizing the term "widescreen comics" and then people running with that. I know it's probably not true, but I'm doing it anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I hate when I open a page and its divided into three huge vertical panels, so more widescreen please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Splash pages all the way!