Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sedisp posted:

The UI is onr of the worst Ive ever seen. Outside of the outposts and little side missions theres very very little to do. Afore mentioned outposts are the best source of fun since they are at least well designed pieces but once you clear them they're gone. The little collectible crates for progression are hidden throught the location that immediately halts game flow.

The enemies are brainless even on nightmare amd done have nearly enough variety. The vehicle combat is weightless.

Interesting, thanks for the info, it sounds like it’s mad max again. So still possibly fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Interesting, thanks for the info, it sounds like it’s mad max again. So still possibly fun for me.

As someone who really like Mad Max I'd rather just replay that.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sedisp posted:

Even the part where your ride crashes out when it hits a small rock?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

yeah, i need to play that some more.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

You get the games you deserve, Chris Plante.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sedisp posted:

The UI is onr of the worst Ive ever seen. Outside of the outposts and little side missions theres very very little to do. Afore mentioned outposts are the best source of fun since they are at least well designed pieces but once you clear them they're gone. The little collectible crates for progression are hidden throught the location that immediately halts game flow.

The enemies are brainless even on nightmare amd done have nearly enough variety. The vehicle combat is weightless.

Yep, it looks like you don't even need half of the upgrades to feel overpowered next to these dumb as rocks enemies that gib to a few headshots. Armor or no armor. Hell the big enemies easily fall over to expose their weak points in one rocket. Powers are kind of chunky and slow to use. Its like they tacked on a bunch of mediocre to garbage poo poo on an already tight shooter.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I forgot that the Rage apocalypse is one that is populated entirely by people who have only ever experienced apocalypse fiction. It’s such a weird vibe.

I gathered the shatter and double jump arcs and then cleared an outpost. It’s all been fun so far when the action is happening. I agree that storage crates are weird—I can’t seem to find a bunch of them and so I keep exploring and then...don’t get rewarded for exploring? With as much stuff as is just laying around I’d love it if things showed up on a map or on the focus screen; maybe I’m missing it.

Seems fairly easy on hard. I’m gonna kick it up to nightmare.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So uh, trying to boot it up on steam just makes nothing happen for me, it says its running for a sec and then just goes back to nothing. I don't have the bethseda game launcher so i'm gonna grab that and see what happens.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Patience

1. The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
2. The capacity to accept that you gotta wait for the pre-order folk to act like the cannon fodder they are and test-burn that poo poo in before you spend half as much as they did to get it at half price because it wasnt RDR2(single player mode)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Seems like this video is a good summary of everything we've heard about the game so far. Basically, shooting good, everything else, not as good as it should be.

Good if you're expecting a goofy, Doom-esque shooter in a world that's just a bit too big and spread out for its own good.

Bad if you're expecting a diesel-punk Fallout or Far Cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYm9rwcBiI0

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Good news is that you don't actually need the bethseda launcher like it sounded from what people were saying, just need a account, which is slightly less of a pain. Updating my drivers and restarting seems to have solved my problem, in case anyone else has a similar one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

GreatGreen posted:

The guy was implying that a video game company who designed a mutant character that happens to have a big hosed up mouth is actually a making big social statement about how every real life person with a facial deformity is actually subhuman. That's absurd. He's projecting his own insecurities and/or being offended on behalf of other people he's imagining.

Do I want to go out of my way to offend people? No, of course not. But nobody is is realistically going to look at this 30 foot tall green gorilla-man mutant and think "welp I'll just single out the fact that it has a hosed up mouth out of the 80 other things wrong with it and now believe that people with cleft palates are in fact sub-people."

If you want to complain about humanoid characters riddled with physical deformities in general, I mean that's literally the canonical definition of what a "mutant" is, and mutants have been in pretty much every type of media since the dawn of... media. Maybe it feels a bit disingenuous to pick that fight here and now of all places.

People really shouldn't jump to defend people looking that hard for something to be offended/virtue signal about.

You say this as if people don't actually believe a bunch of this poo poo about cleft palates and lips, as if people don't believe in a bunch of negative poo poo about actual NORMAL people who just so happen to look different than them.

And yes, this is a discussion that needs to be had because just because it has been in media since the dawn of media does not mean it needs to keep being that way.

Some of yall are seriously getting mad about someone writing a angry article as if any sort of criticism hurts a video game that you may or may not like. Chill. You can still like the game and think that the way they handle this issue is hosed up.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I kinda wanna see if a beej from cleft palate is gonna feel like a vag now :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
does Andrew W K appear in this game

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Reign Of Pain posted:

I kinda wanna see if a beej from cleft pallet is gonna feel like a vag now :shrug:

Yeah but I've never seen a fully grown cleft pallet in real life. Just in my drawings.

CharlestonJew posted:

He's in the credits but nowhere to be found in the game. It's because he donated some of his hair to ~dozen top-tier preorder bundles.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah but I've never seen a fully grown cleft pallet in real life. Just in my drawings.

I'm gonna talk to lowtax about becoming a mod so.....

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's because he donated some of his hair to ~dozen top-tier preorder bundles.
For the love of god please tell me this is a joke. I can't tell what's real any more.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

CharlestonJew posted:

He voices Rukus, a gaint mutant, in some free DLC we're getting sometime later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

He voices Rukus, a gaint mutant, in some free DLC we're getting sometime later.

They seem to have a pretty big dlc road map from what I remember.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I played enough to get just below the 2 hrs of playtime limit on steam returns. The combat in the game feels really really good. The story is dumb, and all of the missions and objectives seem the exact same so far.

Can't decide if I want to return it or not.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

game's fun on pc but runs like absolute dogshit on my 970/i5-4590, like i'm rolling low settings and there's crazy input lag with everything and it's all very sluggish and driving feels like the game's loading ten feet in front of me at a time. hopefully there's a simple fix bc i can run far cry 5 at high at 40-60fps p solid, asscreed odyssey med/high etc blech. gameplay seems p fun but gently caress

e: yeah this is a hard sell rn: rebooted pc, verified files thru the bethesda launcher, booted far cry 5 w fraps at solid 50-60fps @ medium preset shooting rockets & fire real quick just for a baseline, closed out & booted rage2, and performance is crazily up & down depending on whether i'm in the city or if i'm out and about. preset to low. turned off resolution scaling, had to use vsync on always or else tearing was everywhere. running at 1920x1200 fullscreen but when i ran it windowed @ 1920x1080 it seemed to do better? idk, kind of a buzzkill

e2: vsync off on low, windowed, seems to be the ticket lol

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 14, 2019

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The correct term is half assed.

I suffer from having half an rear end and this post offends me.

Also any games featuring enemies who do not have full and complete asses are bigoted and the devs must be deplatformed.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Former Human posted:

I suffer from having half an rear end and this post offends me.

Is that you, hank hill?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I really, really recommend not playing on Easy or Normal if you want any kind of difficulty. I started on Normal and after the first few Arks nothing felt like a threat, like I could just walk forward and head shot everything to death. I switched to Hard and it's feeling much more balanced so far.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I know the story is short but how much open world side poo poo does this have? Like is there enough it doesn't feel tiny?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This sounds decidedly mediocre

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I really, really recommend not playing on Easy or Normal if you want any kind of difficulty. I started on Normal and after the first few Arks nothing felt like a threat, like I could just walk forward and head shot everything to death. I switched to Hard and it's feeling much more balanced so far.

Yeah, I'm really bad at games and I found Normal to be way too easy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Meh. Just had enough time to get through the incredible boring intro and clearing the first roadblock, but so far it really is just mediocre at best with good shooting in it's core.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
1 hour trip report: it seems repetitive but the shooting feels really good. I really enjoyed mad max and it's similar though the combat is better. This is a better shooter than mad max was batman clone if that makes sense.
People are complaining about the length but 10-15 is probably about right before it gets too boring.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Reign Of Pain posted:

God damnit is this game good or is everyone making GBS threads on it because its not RDR2? I am dissapoint that I pre-ordered JC4 so maybe I'm a little gun shy but I want a open world shooter where I don't have to deal with griefers and this was supposed to fulfill that but gently caress the world

It's a decent FPS in a relatively shallow open world. Driving is dull, powers are neat, you can get OP pretty drat early (which is fun if you like games like Crackdown or Saint's Row 4 where you are just pure chaos rising a few hours in), and the story is kind of whatever.

Is it worth it? Eh, I'm enjoying it. I'm already at endgame with Division 2, Anthem was a wet fart (glad I didn't buy it after the shitstorm beta), and Days Gone got lovely reviews so I haven't gotten around to it. Basically, it's the "best" of the releases for the last month or so, even if that's pretty faint praise.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The map screen looks like the game fell straight out of 2008, it's like avalanche is just making the same open world over and over for the last 10 years.
The shooting is good though not really good it's a bit too easy and doesn't mix it up enough. A better game would have been to work on the shooting more, ditch the big open world and make way more of the building, set piece etc areas and push them all closer together and maybe keep a big area for some car stuff (so rage 1 but with an ending and better shooting).

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

If this is just a direct-to-VHS sequel to the first game, dumb stupid mindless fun to unwind to after a day at work, that’ll be enough for me. It sound like it was going to be a “7/10 game” from day one, and that’s ok.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been watching shroud play for a few hours. It's either your jam or it isn't, it's not gonna change your mind about open world looter shooter type games but if you like having tons of things to unlock (cars, car upgrades, guns, gun upgrades, powers, power upgrades, cheat codes, modifiers, etc etc etc) there seems to be a shitton of that NUMBER GOES UP gameplay here wrapped up with a really fast paced shooter. I'm hella excited to have some time with it this weekend.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

It is decreed then.

From now on, every video game character design henceforth will be required to embody the exact average of every measurable human parameter, and will have hair of no discernible color. Any feature unique enough to be recognized will be decried as insensitive and hurtful.

So let it be written. so let it be done.

OMG you hair loving bigot who is racist against bald people. Furthermore

*frantically mashes F5 waiting for a +1 like*

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

fappenmeister posted:

If this is just a direct-to-VHS sequel to the first game, dumb stupid mindless fun to unwind to after a day at work, that’ll be enough for me. It sound like it was going to be a “7/10 game” from day one, and that’s ok.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much this. I decided not to return it and I've been playing for almost 8 hours now just having fun mindlessly killing poo poo.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

If you like Doom and Warframe, you will like this game. The shooting is top notch, the arenas varied (not crazily, they could of done way better better given the setting) , and the enemies have variations per faction but overall mostly dumbish ai.

So far the story is serviceable but I wouldn't call it mediocre. It's very standard fare.

It's been far more entertaining than any of the the open world games to hit pc in a while

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My main complaint at about an hour in is the driving controls with kb+m are weird, but it may be because I'm used to how loose the buggies in Borderlands are. And then that corpses and drops seem to despawn way too quickly.

Also my frames are... weirdly unsteady in a way that's confusing my eyes, although that might be my eyes??

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

If you like Doom and Warframe, you will like this game. The shooting is top notch, the arenas varied (not crazily, they could of done way better better given the setting) , and the enemies have variations per faction but overall mostly dumbish ai.

So far the story is serviceable but I wouldn't call it mediocre. It's very standard fare.

It's been far more entertaining than any of the the open world games to hit pc in a while

That’s niceish, I guess I will see how bad it is after work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaincypher posted:

It's a decent FPS in a relatively shallow open world. Driving is dull, powers are neat, you can get OP pretty drat early (which is fun if you like games like Crackdown or Saint's Row 4 where you are just pure chaos rising a few hours in), and the story is kind of whatever.

Is it worth it? Eh, I'm enjoying it. I'm already at endgame with Division 2, Anthem was a wet fart (glad I didn't buy it after the shitstorm beta), and Days Gone got lovely reviews so I haven't gotten around to it. Basically, it's the "best" of the releases for the last month or so, even if that's pretty faint praise.

Days Gone is pretty fun and solid but I’d wait for it to go on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

For UK goons, Currys/PCWorld is selling Rage 2 today only with a £10 discount (so £35). At that price I'll give it a punt.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/gaming/console-games/ps4-rage-2-10184315-pdt.html