Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

And also some stills from that same video:

I think he used 5 colors? The pooling is a little intense on the pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
From watching videos it seems faster than, for example, a glossy pin wash?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

evol262 posted:

3 steps is definitely a simple, non-garbage option

If you want a simpler one, get testors color shifting rattlecan and wash after.

I really can’t imagine why a position of ‘mix up these three paints from three ranges, buy an airbrush and then pin shade’ is the same as ‘open this pot, coat the fucker’.

I mean, I’m over it, some people don’t like them, you do you etc. I’m more irked by this pretense that it’s comparable like some Fake News cry. It’s very odd.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fashionly snort posted:

And also some stills from that same video:

I think he used 5 colors? The pooling is a little intense on the pants

Yeah, but i'm really impressed with the color on the pants. I think that pooling could be controlled by just pulling some of it out of the recess while it's wet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
if he hadn't glopped it on the legs he would have avoided the darker pooling. You can absolutely control that with how you load the brush. Yellow, for instance, will give two very different results depending on how much you put down.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think that for quality results the old adage of "two thin coats" is still going to apply - if you want the same coverage/tinting without the pooling, you're better off doing multiple light passes. But if you just want to color it and get poo poo on the table? One-and-done probably looks pretty good from tabletop height.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You're definitely going to get more controlled results doing that yeah, but that's not the point of the system. I think basically anyone in this thread will be able to get a better result than that picture with one pass. It's just going to be a matter of what you want and what you're willing to compromise for speed. And speed is the key benefit to us, as opposed to just not looking poo poo for a new painter.
You can always just put it on like in that picture then remove the excess with your brush, same as you'd drain off a pool of Shade, but without (from what they say) the same risk of tide marks.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Shockeh posted:

I really can’t imagine why a position of ‘mix up these three paints from three ranges, buy an airbrush and then pin shade’ is the same as ‘open this pot, coat the fucker’.

I mean, I’m over it, some people don’t like them, you do you etc. I’m more irked by this pretense that it’s comparable like some Fake News cry. It’s very odd.

I'm not saying that at all, and I've repeatedly said that, while I'm skeptical of how much use I'll get out of them, I'm still looking forward to trying them.

My post is/was 100% about a "here's a low effort way to paint Alpha Legion". Will the contrast look better? Maybe. Will it be easier? Yes. But there is already a relatively low effort way to make Alpha Legion look good. That's all I'm saying.

Please don't turn people into strawmen

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

muggins posted:

I do agree with ijyt, I don't really see the huge hype as we've been doing this with washes and inks before. The current effect they're showing is basically a colored dip. But I'm happy to try them out.

Getting 95% of the quality of the old method in 66% to 50% of the steps is awesome.

It’s not about new effects, it’s about getting quality effects with a much lower time investment.

I hope this explanation has enriched your knowledge of this nuanced topic.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Getting 95% of the quality of the old method in 66% to 50% of the steps is awesome.

It’s not about new effects, it’s about getting quality effects with a much lower time investment.

I hope this explanation has enriched your knowledge of this nuanced topic.

Awesome thanks JIZZ DENOUEMENT

I hope they don't really require the special gw primer because that poo poo is way too expensive

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not sure the impact it would have on how the paints work, presumably it just wouldn't flow quite as well. But I doubt you'd seriously harm the finish by undercoating normally, just don'tgo too dark. This stuff absolutely won't work over black. Other than that I'd expect the finished colour to be better over zenithal if anything.
They had done a White Scars marine using the dark grey Contrast over their normal white undercoat (recess only, not all over iirc).

That said, I believe there's a valid reason GW have come up with two specific undercoats for this with a different finish to normal beyond just having something else to sell.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 14, 2019

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
interesting redtext

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I’m planning to paint some tanks in a very deep blue. Any opinions on what I should use for a wash on blue?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Holy poo poo someone actually got so diaper devastated over paints that they spent :10bux: on someone looking forward to a new line that is entirely different from anything else available on the market.

I'm pretty drat pumped to try them out on my mostly unpainted nids that have been sitting in a drawer for 4ish years. That video posted earlier had a GW rep talking about easily blending colors by simply brushing them together with a medium. I need to see what the blendings results look like, but this Contrast system seems like exactly the thing I need to start, and potentially finish, my carapace without spending an insane amount of time on every gaunt.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BaconCopter posted:

Holy poo poo someone actually got so diaper devastated over paints that they spent :10bux: on someone looking forward to a new line that is entirely different from anything else available on the market.
Contrast has broken so many brains, it's pretty amazing. :allears:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

I'm pretty drat pumped to try them out on my mostly unpainted nids that have been sitting in a drawer for 4ish years. That video posted earlier had a GW rep talking about easily blending colors by simply brushing them together with a medium. I need to see what the blendings results look like, but this Contrast system seems like exactly the thing I need to start, and potentially finish, my carapace without spending an insane amount of time on every gaunt.

Yeah that 10 dollars could have bought 1, maybe 2 pots of Citadel Contrast paint, GW's latest innovation that is set to change the game!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Contrast has broken so many brains, it's pretty amazing. :allears:
Gosh darn, would you look at that:

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah that 10 dollars could have bought 1, maybe 2 pots of Citadel Contrast paint, GW's latest innovation that is set to change the game!

Oh poo poo we've got a witty one here folks. The more appropriate analogy is that $10 could buy a bunch of juice for your kids. Nice try.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hah, shows what you know: I already spent my kids' juice money on hookers and blow.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Recycle empty paint pots into a replacement spine for Lowtax.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ilor posted:

Hah, shows what you know: I already spent my kids' juice money on hookers and blow.

Probably a better choice than gray plastic.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

BaconCopter posted:

Gosh darn, would you look at that:

Oh poo poo we've got a witty one here folks. The more appropriate analogy is that $10 could buy a bunch of juice for your kids. Nice try.

I thought it was a good one :smith:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
contrast looks really great

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

So I searched this image because I'm somehow less lazy than you, a feat considering how lazy I am, and I found it's not base + wash. It's actually based and then layered up to runefang, then minimum two layers blue glaze, then a third layer, then a final fourth layer of glaze plus detail work.

So try again

Sounds like you’re the perfect target audience. :)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ijyt posted:

Sounds like you’re the perfect target audience. :)

Wow you sure showed me

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

PinheadSlim posted:

Wow you sure showed me

I appreciate you double checking that smug dick, my friend.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Its a basecoat, and three layers of wash. Its a very easy and quick method to do Alpha Legion. If you really can’t stomach that then he really is the target audience for Contrast paints.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Alpha legion colours are a pig to paint and I reckon the contrast paints wouldn't do it right unless you were happy with a very basic finish.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ijyt posted:

Its a basecoat, and three layers of wash. Its a very easy and quick method to do Alpha Legion. If you really can’t stomach that then he really is the target audience for Contrast paints.

You can't read, because it's based in a metallic other than runefang then it is layered up to it. Then there's the four washes.

What you read as four steps is written as at least six, and we're talking about possibly replacing it with two. 2nd graders understand fractions better than you, with better reading comprehension to boot. Please get better at posting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

You can't read, because it's based in a metallic other than runefang then it is layered up to it. Then there's the four washes.

What you read as four steps is written as at least six, and we're talking about possibly replacing it with two. 2nd graders understand fractions better than you, with better reading comprehension to boot. Please get better at posting.

Two thin coats is generally considered one step because you're using the same colour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Please everyone let's enjoy painting minis in any fashion we choose and not get upset over these new paints :angel:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fair, but still isn't just based then washed like he said. It's still three steps more than he originally claimed before I dug up the source.

You don't have to like contrasts but let's not pretend Alpha is some two step process for good results.

PinheadSlim posted:

According to ijyt you've been able to do it all along in two steps with a simple wash

ijyt posted:

I mean literally yes

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 14, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Please do not get angry at paints, it’s alright.

I painted the below blue armour three years ago with the metallic GW primer, two coats of guilliman blue, a single coat of waywatcher green.

You don’t always have to follow instructions in this hobby.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ijyt posted:

Please do not get angry at paints, it’s alright.

I painted the below blue armour three years ago with the metallic GW primer, two coats of guilliman blue, a single coat of waywatcher green.

You don’t always have to follow instructions in this hobby.

Good mini, but no amount of being a smug dipshit will change what "literally" means.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

:shepface:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Good mini, but no amount of being a smug dipshit will change what "literally" means.

Literally lol.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

But enough about your Infinity models

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

irregardless of usage you're literally wrong

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Except the example given is a correct use of the informal definition, and it doesn't apply when counting small numbers.

"I can eat this in literally two bites"

Proceeds to take four bites

"You didn't eat that in two bites"

"I was emphasizing how fast I could eat it, don't hold me to anything I said earlier I'm still right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
whatchya nerds arguing about today