Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Marvelous. And it fits with the completely rediculous front end the Avalon has. Jesus, put an avalon bumper on a SUPRA to make it look better. What the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The vents under the corner of the front lights are also fake. I wonder if the ones atop the wings are too...

Usually when someone online mods a car it looks poo poo but the Mk5 is probably one of only very few cars to be improved by some random dickhead sat at his computer.

I feel like the first company to come out with a bumper that makes it look like a mk4 is going to get paid.

The headlights are an improvement, but the spoiler doesn't fit, the winglets are too faddy, and the rear lights he did to call back the MKIV are pointlessly retro.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

Theres not a single angle where that car looks good

I'm not a fan of it at all. I've seen a ton of photoshops where minor things are changed that help it a ton, but it's still not pretty even with those.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

G20 M340i chat:
My friends have all teamed up to stop me from buying this car.
According to them the engine will only be good for about 50,000km before it breaks. I was also getting referrals to mechanics who I’d better get used to seeing on the regular. I’m kinda bummed about it to be honest.

All I’ve ever wanted is to drive a car with a longitudinally mounted engine with at least 6 cylinders and a rigid chassis that doesn’t feel wobbly or floaty.

Now I’m being inundated with recommendations for alternates.

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF
Toyota Supra (:psyduck: bmw engine means it sucks too no?)
More people plugging the stinger too.
Edit: TTRS- since I don’t have a family, GF doesn’t want kids and I never carry passengers except 1-2 occasions.

I only wanna own one car. Help me out AI. I trust you guys.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 13, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:
According to them the engine will only be good for about 50,000km before it breaks. I was also getting referrals to mechanics who I’d better get used to seeing on the regular. I’m kinda bummed about it to be honest.

All I’ve ever wanted is to drive a car with a longitudinally mounted engine with at least 6 cylinders and a rigid chassis that doesn’t feel wobbly or floaty.

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF

Your friends suck, YOLO it and buy the car you want

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Just lease the thing.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Whoever's recommending the RS5 over the 340 on the basis of reliability is not your friend.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The vents under the corner of the front lights are also fake. I wonder if the ones atop the wings are too...

Usually when someone online mods a car it looks poo poo but the Mk5 is probably one of only very few cars to be improved by some random dickhead sat at his computer.

I feel like the first company to come out with a bumper that makes it look like a mk4 is going to get paid.
That bottom version actually looks good. Mk IV'ish, but good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF
Edit: TTRS- since I don’t have a family, GF doesn’t want kids and I never carry passengers except 1-2 occasions.

Lol your friends are dumb.
Lol at reliability in any Audi RS
The supra has the exact same engine at the exact same level of tune.
The RCF is a fat piggy and is completely beaten out in all levels but interior by a mustang GT.
The Stinger I have a soft spot for so I cant rag on it like the others.

The b58 is an incredibly understressed unit, its going to last you a good long while. Hell I have a 08 335i (n54) thats pushing past 160k km, 80k of which at a 400hp tune with more than occasional rips at 450+. All Ive had to change are consumables like coils and plugs and the expected maintenance items like the clutch, which was never designed to take torques over ~350 ft/lbs anyways.

(Full disclosure it probably would not have lasted as long if I didnt improve the cooling and fitted a bigger aftercooler. Both things the B58 has.)

The engine itself is solid, but its german so everything around it is going to be maximally tuned to fail at End of Lease.
But which luxury performance car isnt at this point.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 13, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This seems so clearly what they should have done. It's the same thing with the NSX, people worship the one in the 90s, that Toyota and Honda didn't go for that slice keeping their dead performance cars alive is pretty bonkers.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The b58 is an incredibly understressed unit, its going to last you a good long while. Hell I have a 08 335i (n54) thats pushing past 160k km, 80k of which at a 400hp tune with more than occasional rips at 450+. All Ive had to change are consumables like coils and plugs and the expected maintenance items like the clutch, which was never designed to take torques over ~350 ft/lbs anyways.

(Full disclosure it probably would not have lasted as long if I didnt improve the cooling and fitted a bigger aftercooler. Both things the B58 has.)

My mom took my 07 335i when I moved on from it. It had a jb4 tune on it starting at 30k km. No cooling or intercooler work. She sold it at 300k km when it was finally starting to become repair hungry. Engine was still perfect however and she wasn't gentle. All maintenance however kept on top of.

Besides, it's the engines in the M cars that explode, not the regular ones.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF

mustang?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF

Go test drive a Mustang GT and enjoy the correct number of cylinders.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am pretty ambivalent toward Mustangs but it does seem like a GT (or GT350) would be right up your alley

also,

fridge corn posted:

Theres not a single angle where that car looks good

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:

The engine itself is extremely robust, and very reliable/durable. All the poo poo that bolts to the engine are unreliable pieces of poo poo (sensors, electronics, water pumps, etc).

Buy the car, enjoy the car, get it fixed under warranty if issues arise, and if you're past the warranty google and youtube the fixes and buy the parts off bimmerworld or whatever.
Taking stuff apart is very tetris/lego like, very tight packaging, but besides that there isn't anything more difficult than any other car. Just need some e-torx and torx and metric stuff. amazon has all that stuff for cheap.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
GM Looks to Jump-Start Cadillac—Again

quote:

General Motors Co. GM -3.39% has been trying for decades to revive Cadillac in the U.S. luxury car market, where it was once the standard-bearer but now is No. 5 in sales behind BMW , Mercedes-Benz, Lexus and Audi.

Cadillac’s latest reboot began a year ago with the installation of a new executive team, which has overhauled marketing and relocated its headquarters from Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood to a Detroit suburb.

But there are few signs that Cadillac’s latest fresh start has sparked momentum. The brand’s share of the luxury market dropped to 7% in 2018 from 7.5% a year earlier, extending years of declines, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

It's like they have no idea why the Escalade is a success despite being a re-badged Tahoe so they just keep throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does anyone know why the Escalade is such a stupidly popular vehicle? As far as I know it's simply simply a status vehicle established in the 90s rap era and the popularity is just a residual effect. Trying to jump start other models to a similar status is going to be hard, regardless of who is in charge of the brand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Big, comfortable, stylish, cheap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Does anyone know why the Escalade is such a stupidly popular vehicle? As far as I know it's simply simply a status vehicle established in the 90s rap era and the popularity is just a residual effect. Trying to jump start other models to a similar status is going to be hard, regardless of who is in charge of the brand.

It's a big, chunky, gently caress off SUV that looks really good when blacked out and customized.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
'gotta-have-it' factor

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It makes a certain amount of sense that if your biggest and most profitable model works as a symbol of decadent excess, all your attempts to sell lesser models are doomed to failure. All they can do is symbolize that you don't have Escalade money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense that if your biggest and most profitable model works as a symbol of decadent excess, all your attempts to sell lesser models are doomed to failure. All they can do is symbolize that you don't have Escalade money.

Yet somehow that's not true with say, the S-Class.

The problem is clearly a product problem. Cadillac's other product is worse than its segment competitors and even worse, it's dull from a styling perspective. Somehow Lincoln can make a whole family of decent looking SUVs that compliment each other out of the ashes of a completely poo poo brand, and meanwhile Cadillac has been lost in the wilderness for two decades being like HOW DO WE MAKE A MIDSIZED SUV????

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Also: *YOU CAN MOD IT!*

Can I have the factory spec model with all the mods as a kit since we're playing at real life RC cars now?

Wasn’t this also the excuse that Toyota used for shipping the Toyobaru with that motor?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Land Rover has successfully expanded their brand, and the Range Rover is as popular as ever.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My thought, though I don't intend to die on this hill, is that pre-Escalade Cadillac was a rapidly declining brand with no relevance, and the Escalade prospered purely because it's just so in your face and over the top. Mercedes and Land Rover still have some brand cachet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sure, but brand cachet doesn't just exist. It gets built through product and product support. GM had (and to an extent still has) a great opportunity to rebuild Cadillac as a brand starting with the sclade but has somehow consistently managed to gently caress it up

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
idk i'm certainly not a fan of cadilac but they are undoubtably better than they were 15-20 years ago.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Escalade is the epitome of Americans thinking they're just temporarily embarrassed millionaires

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IMO the escalade was lightning in a bottle. It was essentially a jerk reaction to the Merc ML and Navigator and it blew up hugely once it hit the pop culture zeitgeist.

This may also have led to its downfall since now that everyone had an Escalade how can you prove you were better and more refined than the Stevensons down the road. It didnt help that past the mid 00s there was a serious revamping in European luxury car interiors and styling while Caddy and the American marques stayed mostly the same. Then the 08 depression happened and gas prices went up and that brand new X6 is looking much more appealing now. See that Stevenson? Its German.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 14, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

Go test drive a Mustang GT and enjoy the correct number of cylinders.

This is always the answer unless you want to do an e85 conversion on an ecoboost to have a better 50 50 balance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

IMO the escalade was lightning in a bottle. It was essentially a jerk reaction to the Merc ML and Navigator and it blew up hugely once it hit the pop culture zeitgeist.

This may also have led to its downfall since now that everyone had an Escalade how can you prove you were better and more refined than the Stevensons down the road. It didnt help that past the mid 00s there was a serious revamping in European luxury car interiors and styling while Caddy and the American marques stayed mostly the same. Then the 08 depression happened and gas prices went up and that brand new X6 is looking much more appealing now. See that John? Its German.

There's always another step. The new hotness is buying a GMC Denali to signal to your neighbor with the Escalade and only your neighbor with an Escalade that you could have bought an Escalade, but bought a Denali because of "Escalade people".

Next it's going to be buying the Chery A3 rebadged as a CUV to prove you're more about the badge than the car, once and for all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From GRM's review video, the Supra looks like a jumbled up jet fighter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cvnqZlnrA&t=56s
It doesn't look great, but all the lines and feature density is pretty uniform. I like that Z4 ducktail in the back.
e: in that matte, it looks like a weird fighter jet. Not in a completely bad way.

Also, gently caress him for saying PSS aren't good enough for the track.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 14, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It reminds me of an old jacket you find buried in the closet. It's lumpy, wrinkled and those fake vents look like busted seams.

Maybe it looks better in person than in pictures.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1128056216041734144?s=21

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1128056651179859969?s=21

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think i know which angle you're gonna see more often.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BloodBag posted:

Marvelous. And it fits with the completely rediculous front end the Avalon has. Jesus, put an avalon bumper on a SUPRA to make it look better. What the hell happened?

oh my god this is real

I looked at this picture and thought for sure it was a photoshop. Someone please help Toyota's designers.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Paradoxish posted:

oh my god this is real

I looked at this picture and thought for sure it was a photoshop. Someone please help Toyota's designers.

Same. I know current-gen Toyota has some big rear end grills but thought that was photoshopped on the edges to make it more extreme.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I think they nailed it with the Camry and Corolla. The Avalon and every Lexus are not so great.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Paradoxish posted:

oh my god this is real

It gets worse, you can kind of see it in that picture but in actual lighting most of the grille is blocked off on the inside for the bumper. It doesn't need to be that bad, they wanted it to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kraftwerk posted:

G20 M340i chat:

RS5 Sportback
Lexus RCF

As mentioned, your friends are extremely stupid and and wrong about pretty much everything they’ve said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

y'all remember when Toyota were like "yeah this is pretty much the new Supra for 2020"

and everyone was like "yeah that's actually pretty hot"

and then Toyota went "siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike, you're getting this chubby looking piece of poo poo instead which also will have 4cyl versions because we have to offer a shittier version of our halo car" ?