Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Unimpressed posted:

Do we know this guy is a dev for real though? Seems unlikely he would be looking for F22 and f35 manuals.

The article clearly identifies him as an Eagle Dynamics developer working on DCS. Not all his activities may be related to his dev work (he was also selling manuals on eBay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bgreman posted:

The article clearly identifies him as an Eagle Dynamics developer working on DCS. Not all his activities may be related to his dev work (he was also selling manuals on eBay).

Yeah rumors I've read are that he was selling manuals on Ebay. Which I'm sure ED would not condone, sounds like this case is from years ago as well and he only just got arrested due to extradition from Georgia (the country).

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wow. That's awful. Reminds me of when the ARMA3 devs got jailed in Greece for spying when they were taking pics of some military base.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Though if he had F-22 and F-35 stuff that points to there being some substance behind those charges.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
ED has contracts with the Air National Guard and works directly with aircraft manufacturers, so I can't imagine that this guy was operating on behalf of the company when he did this. Much more likely that he was doing this on his own time and went way out of the line. But I'd be delighted (and more than a little amused) to be wrong about this and have a black-market F-22 module show up based on stolen classified documents. :v:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Lausanne, 14 May 2019.

The Eagle Dynamics group, headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, confirms that one of its employees has been jailed in the State of Utah (USA) on charges of seeking to procure, export and sell restricted US fighter jet manuals, in particular the F-16.

Eagle Dynamics confirms that it was not involved in any way in the actions of its employee who acted in a purely private context and for his own personal interests.

The Company develops all of its DCS aircraft game modules exclusively on the basis of publicly available information and has never used nor tried to obtain any classified information.

The Company launched an internal investigation into the actions of its employee, and found nothing in the company's records that relates to the facts that are being held against him. The investigation confirmed in particular that no company resources were used and that no export restricted documents were obtained or stored within the company's systems. Furthermore, the Company confirms that the employee was not involved in any of the work or research pertaining to the development of the Company's upcoming F-16 module.

The development of the F-16 and other modules currently in the pipeline will continue in order to further enhance the simulation experience of DCS World. These events will not affect Eagle Dynamics' commitment to its users and faithful community.

Thank you,
Matt Wagner
Senior Producer, Eagle Dynamics SA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"In other news, DCS is proud to announce our first land-based module, DCS: Bus. Special thanks go out to Oleg for being the first person to alpha test the 'thrown under' feature."

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Got dropped harder than an F-104 coming in for landing

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Latest update to F14 module includes minor bug fixes and inclusion of 21 compressor stall salute to fallen devs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
ED juggles simultaneous military contracts with multiple NATO countries and Russia. It seems as if they have managed to walk a very weird and thin rope, and it seems unlikely they’d encourage the act.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Specifically for the F16 they are going to have to get a proper licence to release it just like they got a licence from Boeing to do the F18c. I can't imagine they need to be getting staff to buy manuals on ebay when they are doing it legit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The article says he only showed interest in acquiring f-22 and f-35 manuals but it sounds like that never happened.

He was basically just posting on the ED forums asking people to mail him stuff. Some guy in Texas was also arrested for mailing him the f-16 manuals but all charges were dropped.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

ED juggles simultaneous military contracts with multiple NATO countries and Russia

Does anyone know which NATO countries? I'd always known/assumed about Russia, but NATO is news to me

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Here's the list of things he exported/was trying to export. It gets increasingly spicy as it goes:

TO 1F-16A-2-00FR-00-1 Fault Isolation Organization Maintenance (F-16A and F-16B)
TO 1F-16A-2-00GV-00-1 General Vehicle Organizational Maintenance (F-16A and F-16B)
TO 1F-16CM-1-2 Supplemental Flight Manual (F-16C and F-16D Blocks 40, 42, 50, and 52)
TO 1F-22A-1 Flight Manual (F-22A Aircraft 91-007 and on)
TO 1F-22A-34-1-1 Nonnuclear Weapons Delivery Flight Manual (F-22A Increment 3.2, Aircraft 91-007 and on)

The last two are the big ones, with the last one being especially problematic. -34s include tons of information on not just the weapons themselves but also how to operate combat related avionics like the radar.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

McDeth posted:

Here's the list of things he exported/was trying to export. It gets increasingly spicy as it goes:

TO 1F-16A-2-00FR-00-1 Fault Isolation Organization Maintenance (F-16A and F-16B)
TO 1F-16A-2-00GV-00-1 General Vehicle Organizational Maintenance (F-16A and F-16B)
TO 1F-16CM-1-2 Supplemental Flight Manual (F-16C and F-16D Blocks 40, 42, 50, and 52)
TO 1F-22A-34-1-1 Nonnuclear Weapons Delivery Flight Manual (F-22A Increment 3.2, Aircraft 91-007 and on)

The last two are the big ones, with the last one being especially problematic. -34s include tons of information on not just the weapons themselves but also how to operate combat related avionics like the radar.

:popeye:

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
this is somehow all cubanace's fault

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The F22 manual charges come from 2016 and the F16 A/B back in 2011. I wouldn't be surprised if he was caught because of the F22 stuff and in investigating him found the F16 stuff.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone know which NATO countries? I'd always known/assumed about Russia, but NATO is news to me

the United States for sure, the A-10C module is based off the simulator they made for the United States Air Nation Guard

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
ED posted an F-16 cockpit screenshot and is promising more Viper news tomorrow.

https://facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/photos/a.10152597072140341/10161905288055341?type=3&sfns=mo

Here the post on the ED forums from Wags:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3912837&postcount=594

You can decide for yourself if this is an attempt to bury the arrest news, but it confirms that the Viper is moving ahead.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
And F-16 pre-orders start next week, release to early access expected in "early autumn"! And the FW-190A is in preorder, expected to go to early access in June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/bprscm/fw_190_a8_and_f16c_preorders_and_other_news/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ZekeNY posted:

And F-16 pre-orders start next week, release to early access expected in "early autumn"! And the FW-190A is in preorder, expected to go to early access in June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/bprscm/fw_190_a8_and_f16c_preorders_and_other_news/

Artist's rendition of F-16 module on release based on F-18 module:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Honestly given the barebones state the viper is launching in and the year plus its taking to get pretty basic features in the hornet I'm probably going to hold off until they are ticking off some of the post launch systems.

Hornet is supposedly getting the targeting pod in June and its just getting the same pod as the a10 not the ATFLIR pod which is coming some distant time in the future. The F16 is using the sniper pod which isn't in another DCS aircraft so I don't have high hopes for how fast they will get that done.

That said I'm a sucker for the F16 so I'll definitely get it eventually.

quote:

Core systems of our F-16C include:
F-110-GE-129 turbofan engine
AN/APG-68(V)5 multi-mode radar
AN/ALR-56M Radar Warning Receiver
AN/ALQ-131/184 ECM pods
CCIP (Common Configuration Implementation Program) update
ALE-47 countermeasure system

This will be a massive project, so we will separate it into two phases: Phase 1 Early Access release and then Phase 2 Product Sustainment.

Phase 1 Early Access Release:
Color Multifunction Display (CMFD) symbology, Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) format, and Head-up Display (HUD) symbology
Digitally TACAN and Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator (EHSI)
BDU-33, BDU-50LD/HD, Mk-82LDGP, Mk-82AIR, Mk-84LDGP, BLU-109/B, CBU-87 CEM, and CBU-97 SFW unguided bombs
2.75” rockets LAU-68 and LAU-131
Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
AIM-9L/M/P/X Sidewinder
AIM-120B/C AMRAAM
M61A1 20mm cannon

First skin will be the 55th FS at Shaw AFB.

Phase 2 Product Sustainment:
Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS)
Link 16 Data Link
AGM-65D/G/H/K Maverick
AGM-88C HARM
AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS)
Sniper XR Advanced Targeting Pod
GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-24A/B laser-guided bombs
BRU-57/A Smart Rack
CBU-103 CEM and CBU-105 SFW Inertially Aided Munitions (IAM)
GBU-31/A, GBU-32, and GBU-38/B JDAM
AGM-154/A and /B JSOW
AGM-158/A JASSM
Integration of the JHMCS with the HARM Targeting System (HTS), Link 16, and AIFF
ALE-50 towed decoy

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Why hasn't anyone mad an Independence Day mod for the Nevada map???

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So recent news from ED-land.

First, they are stating that the new carrier ATC will be a paid module, and will require everyone to own it to be on a server, or it will not work. Which obviously would split communities once more.
Here is a Reddit nerd being wordy, but he does sum it up very well.

quote:

THE ISSUE:

A new carrier is in development and will be locked behind a paywall. It will feature an interactive environment: Handlers, LSO station, animations, realistic ATC, etc.

So what is the problem? 2 things.

Realistic ATC, which is considered a core feature of the sim locked behind a paywall.

This module will divide the MP community, as non-owners of this module will not be able to join servers that feature this module, or we just won't see this feature in the popular servers as these don't want to alienate non-owners.

THE REQUEST:

This has prompted the community to fight back this decision, there seems to be a misconception of the reasoning behind this, a lot of users believe the community is just being cheap, and are not willing to pay for the developers hard work.

This may be the case for a minority, but what the majority of the community is looking for is:

That the core sim continues to be upgraded (It has been neglected for a while now, and let's be honest, it does not offer much). ATC is considered a core feature, one which the dev team should invest in, not lock behind a paywall. An argument is that the core, being free, is the face of this sim. This is the first experience newcomers have, and this is where one chooses to invest on the sim or walk away. This experience is not very good, and the community believes that improving on this will create more business for ED, will make the sim better, and will grow the community. I have witnessed the impact that DCS first experience has on people, most of the time, it turns people away, as it is not very user friendly, you must educate your self of what is going on as the sim does not do much to help you get up and going, and once you kind of get going, you are greeted with not only a mediocre ATC, but it is annoying and frustrating. If a core mechanic is this broken, what can you expect from the rest of the sim? Why should anybody invest in it? And what can a new player do? Play some weird buggy single player missions? Jump right into a multiplayer server just to be screamed at and kicked for friendly fire? Change this scenario to one with a decent ATC, and the ability play an exciting dynamic campaign with your friends or solo with only a few clicks? I am sure we can agree this would have tremendous results! At least I know a couple of people who would jump in and start spending great sums of money!

DO NOT DIVIDE THE COMMUNITY. This is especially frustrating for the community as this practice is regarded as very harmful for it's self. Of course, do not divide the community, does not mean "give everyone everything for free", it means "Prioritize not dividing the already small community, and find a way incentivize the purchase of your modules". One example that is being brought up a lot is ARMA3, on which all players are able to join the same server even if they do not own DLCs that the server is running, but their interaction which these DLC content is limited, and actually worked as advertisement for the DLC, I know I bought into those DLCs because I saw them in action on the servers I was playing, and I wanted also to be able to experience it!

THE RESPONSE:

ED has responded to the backlash by stating that the the technical hoops they would have to jump to achieve the module working on a server while limiting players interaction with it who do not own it, are just not worth it. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3915382&postcount=10 https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3916671&postcount=345 And a little snap it seems: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3916695&postcount=352 Where I believe investing in user experience is being confused with charity. Of course you can't ask people to buy a module that delivers a better UX, but a better UX will help to create conversions. (Just look how the iphone blew up, it was mostly UX)

It was also implied that the mp player base is not big enough: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3916073&postcount=134

This has frustrated the community, as many see this as ED pointing a gun to their own foot. It may be, that the code of the sim is in such a terrible state, that the amount of work that would require ED to create this system, just makes no sense in any possible scenario. I hope that is not the case, but if it is, well, then it seems there would just be no way of implementing the module with limitations towards non-owners.

A counter point being made by the community, is that there is such a low MP player base, because the experience is so uninviting. Players first need to understand what the hell is going on, then somehow learn an aircraft (The tutorials are far from effective/user friendly, I have always resorted to the manuals, or Chucks guides, which are awesome! But to expect every new player to jump into the manuals is naive), then somehow find a server that suits their needs, and not know what the hell is going on because it appears you need a 3rd party software to be on the server comms, just to be kicked from the server because you did something you were not supposed to, and didn't even realize. So go back to the menu for some sweet solo sandbox campaign adventure, just to find out there is none! Got to shell out some moneys for a campaign... What a great experience this has been so far...

So the argument is, well... Invest and improve the core experience in such a way that new players don't have to jump through so many hoops! Instead of giving up on MP...

Another issue with the response from ED, is a problem regarding censorship. I will not go much into detail, but EDs PR is not really that great. They are improving on it, but they are far from where they should be at this point in time. I don't believe I have to go into why censorship is bad, and I am not talking about deleting profane, disrespectful comments, I am talking about passionate, respectful backlash towards ED, that they just don't want possible new customers to see. It can mostly be experienced in EDs forums and FB page. https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/bqk271/eagle_dymanics_begins_censoring_customers_against/

In addition, with the incoming pre-order of the new F-16, the feature lists are ninjaedited. ED is getting takesie backsies on many features, and for example announced that their specific LARP of the Viper will only allow two mavericks total and no more. JSOW was edited out of the feature list with silence. Obviously this makes people kind of upset, because ED yells about cool poo poo, then renegs.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

JSOW's back, Sniper got swapped with Litening, don't buy their F-16 and play BMS instead until ED unfucks itself because apparently no one on the english speaking side of the company knows what the gently caress at this time apparently

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Forums Terrorist posted:

JSOW's back, Sniper got swapped with Litening, don't buy their F-16 and play BMS instead until ED unfucks itself because apparently no one on the english speaking side of the company knows what the gently caress at this time apparently

I found new/old stock antenna elevation pots to repair my Cougar throttle and will be doing this. BMS with all its problems is a more rewarding game experience (when it works). Does hosting MP suck any less?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

no, you still have to forward your ports like it's 2002*, but the bandwidth setting is less critical now since it's just advisory. best practice according to the bms devs is if you're hosting it should be 70% of your upload and download in kbits and if you're a client just set it to 2048 for both

*it supports ipv6 but not upnp lol, for the six people who care about ip versions and have end to end links that can do v6

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

tfw no BMS VR

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Let's BOYCOTT DCS and play the OTHER high-fidelity modern military flight sim with VR.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I guess I get the carrier not being free but ATC is an essential part of a game based around, you know, air traffic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They should do what Il-2 has done, make this stuff free to use in multiplayer but locked for single player. That way you don't fragment your online player base.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

McDeth posted:

TO 1F-22A-34-1-1 Nonnuclear Weapons Delivery Flight Manual (F-22A Increment 3.2, Aircraft 91-007 and on
)

Yikes, that's pretty bad. In-service airframes are going to attract a certain amount of attention in even attempting to ask for them. A brief glance through Ebay seems to show a lot of Phantom and 50s/60s flight manuals.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I guess I get the carrier not being free but ATC is an essential part of a game based around, you know, air traffic

I'd argue that anyone who really cares about ATC are using SRS and LotATC*. :v:

I know carrier specific ATC and all (I'm not reading that monolith of a reddit post), but we all know that either LotATC will build in deck functionality (if it doesn't have it already) or some turbonerds already have checkerboards at their desk side.

*I'm letting LotATC slide since the license only has to be server side.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
ED's argument for why triple mavericks per wing station are not included was also just obscenely dumb. They states that since Mavericks were not needed in Asymmetric War against Taliban and Iraqi Insurgents, the USAF jets around 2007 were not equipped with triple racks. |
"The F-16 was cleared to carry 3 Mavericks under each wing (3 and 7) on LAU-88s. This configuration placed very high stress on the airframe, and the inboard missile's exhaust impinged on the horizontal tail (The paint would peel, and it would get 1cm dings around it), causing the Air Force to restrict that load except in wartime. "

Forums, and Hoggit, pointed out that the F-16 was meant to ground pound Soviet tanks into dust with the mavericks at Fulda Gap, and that the game is called Digital COMBAT simulator, and not bomb dirt in Astanistan, and it most certainly can carry them all.

ED said that the eighties and early nineties Viper was loaded out to a threat that doesn't exist anymore.

...DCS World. The noted asymmetric insurgency simulator.

Anyway, they have now passive aggressively stated that they will allow the LAU-117 rack and triple mavericks. In the announcement they still included snark:

quote:

Show me a Block 50 carrying triple Mavericks operationally and I'll concede the point that you're right and I am wrong.

I just don't understand why they are so bad at this.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 23, 2019

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

lol at ed getting bullied into everything though, maybe if people post hard enough we can get them to fix everything

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like how "dedication to accuracy" in flight simming can be used for getting away with, "this feature looks hard to write/takes time/etc... and I don't want to do it."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Minto Took posted:

I like how "dedication to accuracy" in flight simming can be used for getting away with, "this feature looks hard to write/takes time/etc... and I don't want to do it."

Dedicated to accuracy has also somehow come to mean “must adhere to the exact daily doctrine of the document we bought found”, as if the point of accurate simulation of an aicraft does not entail actually recreating the capabilities of that aircraft, but rather the demands of Lt.Col Dontruinmy McBudget.

Digital Crew chief Simulator: World.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're just totally user-hostile. If you want to do something fun that isn't technically 100% mind-numbingly "accurate", then rather than saying "sure, haha, we've made it an option you can mess with" they just tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Want to use that red Canadian F/A-18 skin even though the mission maker set your plane's side as USA? No, that would never happen, go gently caress yourself.

Want to put an aircraft carrier on a lake instead of the ocean? No, aircraft carriers can't go in lakes, go gently caress yourself.

Want to have a real simple dynamic campaign that works like Battlefield or something, just spawning bad guys at airfields until you blow enough of them up and then it becomes yours? No, that's not how a real war works, go gently caress yourself.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah exactly. They aren’y just difficult, but they are openly hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Don't they have nukes in the game? :rolleyes: