Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

moush posted:

This is all besides the point though because it just spits in the face of any pro who has played the game for more than 6 months.

source your quotes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can't deny. The MPL is an odd thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

moush posted:

This is all besides the point though because it just spits in the face of any pro who has played the game for more than 6 months.

Not really because those people should have no expectations whatsoever. Magic Pro Player is not a career that anyone should have any aspirations towards any kind of real success in, and that's how it's been for decades.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah the absolute peak highest earners averaged over their career averages to maaaaybe 40k/year pre tax. That's being real generous. It's probably closer to 30k and drops off quickly especially considering most of the pros are either professional poker players or in high paying careers.

It's also a super spiky and unreliable income.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd go so far as to contend that it's good that Magic Pro Player is not a viable career path

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think that if wotc wants to have professional magic players then they should make it viable to be a professional magic player, i.e. your profession is playing magic, i.e. you are able to make a living wage while solely playing magic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Not really because those people should have no expectations whatsoever. Magic Pro Player is not a career that anyone should have any aspirations towards any kind of real success in, and that's how it's been for decades.

Alaan posted:

Yeah the absolute peak highest earners averaged over their career averages to maaaaybe 40k/year pre tax. That's being real generous. It's probably closer to 30k and drops off quickly especially considering most of the pros are either professional poker players or in high paying careers.

It's also a super spiky and unreliable income.

counterpoint: paying your rent entirely through magic is mostly unreasonable but players still bought plane flights, hotel rooms, etc. for gps with the understanding that they can offset the cost by maintaining gold/platinum pro status. it's a completely reasonable expectation to have considering wotc straight up said "we pay out x dollars if you're in this pro tier" and then gutted the system without any warning. they're still loving with people's budgets even if those people have day jobs. this is one of the big things Gerry is protesting.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/rbuehler/status/1128097328500330498?s=21

How is that top 4 supposed to work? They do best of three Modern then Best of Three Standard and then Modern again if it’s 1-1?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
uh it's the top 4 of standard and then also the top 4 of modern

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yawgmoth posted:

I think that if wotc wants to have professional magic players then they should make it viable to be a professional magic player, i.e. your profession is playing magic, i.e. you are able to make a living wage while solely playing magic.

It's pretty loving clear that they don't though. Whatever that would cost the marketing budget they feel is better spent elsewhere.

E: also, how long has PVDDR been playing pro?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Sperling wrote an article. The comments - lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hellsau posted:

Throw this dude into the sea

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
why do you hate merfolk?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

The Internet has really broken some people's brains

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cultural marxism is when girls play magic and the more girls play magic the more cultural marxist it is

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

"Adversity" and "Magic: the Gathering" should never be in the same sentence lmao. We live in hell.

Also how the gently caress do you get the plural "thoughts" correct and then gently caress up the plural "agendas" two words later

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The Internet has really broken some people's brains

people were coming up with elaborate theories to explain why they can't get laid long before the internet. all the internet has done is make it so people besides your close friends will tell you those theories unprompted

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Hellsau posted:

why do you hate merfolk?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

people were coming up with elaborate theories to explain why they can't get laid long before the internet. all the internet has done is make it so people besides your close friends will tell you those theories unprompted

Yes, and that is an enormous difference that lets these garbage philosophies spread.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

It's pretty loving clear that they don't though. Whatever that would cost the marketing budget they feel is better spent elsewhere.

E: also, how long has PVDDR been playing pro?

Roughly a decade I think, maybe a little over that (in terms of when his first relevant finish was). PV is really loving good. He's probably the actual best Magic player of all time given how much stiffer the competition is nowadays compared to when Finkel and Budde were doing their thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sampatrick posted:

Roughly a decade I think, maybe a little over that (in terms of when his first relevant finish was). PV is really loving good. He's probably the actual best Magic player of all time given how much stiffer the competition is nowadays compared to when Finkel and Budde were doing their thing.

He's got my vote. I was wondering how the income / year worked out for the earningest player and that's still under 50k a year, though I think that'll go farther in Brazil.

Also, wizards has stopped updating their top money winners page, lol.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sampatrick posted:

Definitely the best Magic strategy writer of all time.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/scryfall/status/1128309040457457666/photo/1

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

do it for the ixalan lands too and i'm just gonna play 100% lands

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's such a waste of good art.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Terese Nielsen’s token Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2115225107/terese-nielsens-tokens-of-spirit

Looks like they have playmats and prints available as well.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

max'd wins in traditional draft for the first time ever with my prerelease code with what I thought was a pretty mediocre WU flying deck. Can't really tell if I've gotten better or the people playing on Arena have gotten worse.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

Terese Nielsen’s token Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2115225107/terese-nielsens-tokens-of-spirit

I'd be all over this if Nielsen hadn't fallen completely out of my favor a while ago.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

No milkshake duck token?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I forget-- Has she ever done any overt CHUD stuff, or is it just suspect likes and follows and the defensive "muh freeze peach" open letter?

Not disputing that's enough not to want to give her money, just genuinely curious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I forget-- Has she ever done any overt CHUD stuff, or is it just suspect likes and follows and the defensive "muh freeze peach" open letter?

Not disputing that's enough not to want to give her money, just genuinely curious.

She liked some tweets I think.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

The open letter was the nail in the coffin for me honestly because it was just a huge vaguepost that neither confirmed or denied anything. I would have merely found her distasteful if she had just owned up to it rather than tiptoeing around it, which I felt was really annoying.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Framboise posted:

The open letter was the nail in the coffin for me honestly because it was just a huge vaguepost that neither confirmed or denied anything. I would have merely found her distasteful if she had just owned up to it rather than tiptoeing around it, which I felt was really annoying.

I just re-read it and found myself with a mild headache from just how twee it is; I'd forgotten.

Tsk. Artists

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

She liked some tweets I think.

She's a fairly typical example of an average person who has largely completely incoherent and contradictory political beliefs, with a slightly higher-than-average skew towards chud

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

She's a fairly typical example of an average person who has largely completely incoherent and contradictory political beliefs, with a slightly higher-than-average skew towards chud

she liked or shared some bizarro-world pizzagate poo poo at one point

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Has WOTC said anything about the lands in Modern Horizons, like ruling out fetchlands, or just said nothing about it?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Has WOTC said anything about the lands in Modern Horizons, like ruling out fetchlands, or just said nothing about it?

MaRo posted this last night. He could of course just be talking about basic lands

quote:

You said Modern Horizons will have some reprints from non-Modern legal sets. Does this also mean that there will be no reprints from Modern-legal sets (that have never been Modern legal)?

MaRo
Other than the cycle of lands, there aren’t any Modern-legal reprints

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tainen posted:

MaRo posted this last night. He could of course just be talking about basic lands

i found this, which suggests that he's just being coy about the basic lands: https://imgur.com/a/FULzxtL

odd to refer to basics as a "cycle" though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

I can't think of a pre-Modern dual cycle that they could actually reprint that wouldn't feel like a bit letdown, so if we are getting a dual land cycle it's going to be something new I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

flatluigi posted:

uh it's the top 4 of standard and then also the top 4 of modern

Nah I was right

quote:

On Sunday, May 19, coverage of the Top 4 begins at 10 a.m. During each semifinal and final match, the players will play up to three best-of-three matches, with the first to two match wins advancing. The first match each round will be Standard. The second match will be Modern. If there's a third match, the player with the higher seed will choose which of those two formats to play again.