Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*whip crack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh also there's someone in AI from NZ with a Lada Riva rebuild thread. :getin:

There's a good Top Gear where they explore the question "Did a Communist country ever produce a good car?" and they point out that the Riva was based on a Fiat 124. But then the Russians changed the design to replace the disc brakes with drum brakes (aluminum drums!) , thicken up the steel of the body panels, and add a crank starter and a manual fuel pump. Then they pointed out that the car was still in production in Egypt. "A car designed by the Italians, 'improved' by the Russians, and produced by the Egyptians. I can't think of anything worse than that."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

Use it wear it make it do it

Our work is
house of Grover

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phanatic posted:

There's a good Top Gear where they explore the question "Did a Communist country ever produce a good car?" and they point out that the Riva was based on a Fiat 124. But then the Russians changed the design to replace the disc brakes with drum brakes (aluminum drums!) , thicken up the steel of the body panels, and add a crank starter and a manual fuel pump. Then they pointed out that the car was still in production in Egypt. "A car designed by the Italians, 'improved' by the Russians, and produced by the Egyptians. I can't think of anything worse than that."

The thicker panelwork was silly and certainly made the car slower, but I doubt anyone really noticed the substitution for drum brakes. But in fairness to our Russian friends, most of the other changes were legitimate improvements for the Russian market. It had a supplemental crank starter and a manual auxiliary fuel pump because the expectation was that the battery would fail to crank and that you would have to prime the engine without working electrics in very cold Siberian conditions - which was accurate. It's not like those features replaced the electronics, they were just supplemental.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The thicker panelwork was silly and certainly made the car slower, but I doubt anyone really noticed the substitution for drum brakes. But in fairness to our Russian friends, most of the other changes were legitimate improvements for the Russian market. It had a supplemental crank starter and a manual auxiliary fuel pump because the expectation was that the battery would fail to crank and that you would have to prime the engine without working electrics in very cold Siberian conditions - which was accurate. It's not like those features replaced the electronics, they were just supplemental.

I think there's also the thinking that it's better to have a car, any car. A lot of the target market in the Soviet Union for cheap vehicles would be people without a lot of resources who would need reliable transportation down roads without very good infrastructure. This would inevitably lead to a desire to make the simplest car possible that could easily be maintained and operated by someone who's used to taking care of things by themselves (like people in rural areas).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Getting a car way back in the soviet union was a huge deal and you had to take a whole test to show you were practically a certified mechanic able to fix any problem with the car on your own.

Unless you had connections of course, which was the main source of cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

chitoryu12 posted:

I think there's also the thinking that it's better to have a car, any car. A lot of the target market in the Soviet Union for cheap vehicles would be people without a lot of resources who would need reliable transportation down roads without very good infrastructure. This would inevitably lead to a desire to make the simplest car possible that could easily be maintained and operated by someone who's used to taking care of things by themselves (like people in rural areas).

That doesn't jive with what actually went on with the modifications to the 124. If anything, VAZ made the design more complicated by putting in a newer engine and a bunch of redundant systems. There were Russification changes to improve ride, ground clearance, and cold start capability, but they did not make the car any simpler.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

...except that it still cost the equivalent of three years' wage so it's not like the people in rural areas were going to afford them anyway.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kanine posted:

oh btw osha thread ive spent the last 4 years going to an art school with a fairly good sculpture department which means ive spent a lot of time with other students in wood and metal shops and have some pretty fucken osha stories if you folks are interested

Oooohh, this reminds me about the jewelry/metal professor at my college. In addition to numerous warning signs, lectures, etc., on the importance of tying back long hair and loose clothing while operating the buffer, he would tack scalps to the wall above the buffer.

Actual pieces of scalp and hair that had been caught in the machine by student who didn't listen.

Pretty :black101: way of getting the point across.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a famous moment from WW2 when Packard was licensed to produce Merlin engines.

Which plane was it that was assembled to a minimum possible flying condition at one facility and flown a short distance to another for major rework and finishing?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Delta-P strikes again

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is he gonna be okay, or did he......

croak

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
OSHA report all stating "management was informed several times of the difficulty communicating with subj. Jeremiah, this was overlooked due to the quality of his wine."

edit- just thought of a way simpler one: Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

was.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

Is he gonna be okay, or did he......

croak

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hah, get a load of the guy who doesn't know how to post mp4s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

hah, get a load of the guy who doesn't know how to post mp4s.

It's working fine for me?

Are you using Awful app, that may be why.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nope, browser, just shows a broken image logo.

https://i.imgur.com/skyhpY0.mp4

jaken97
Aug 1, 2013

Hell Gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGquxvqI_Y
Colin Furze never ceases to be a source of amusement and wonder.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Saw some nice OSHA thread Saturday morning: beat-to-hell first gen. Scion Xb on fat little spoked chrome wheels minus the rear passenger wheel, which was a donut spare. Behind this is attached a four foot long flatbed trailer. The kind of contaption that doesn't even have lights, just reflectors, and no brakes. Crudely lashed in a heap on said trailer is a refrigerator, riding lawn mower, filing cabinet, and a few hundred pounds of scrap metal. Dude weaves through traffic down one of the shittiest roads in Tampa dragging the safety chains and scraping the towbar on every bump before merging onto the interstate going up-hill. My desire to get home overrode morbid curiosity this once, it seemed like a bad idea to be behind that death trap.

Sounds like an ironic Thather-ite statement /s.

Another poster brought up a Finnish thing. I'd believe you over any other when it comes to these things. Is this true?

Sormus posted:

In Finland the classiest places are easily identified by their blue lighting in the toilets. Harder to do drugs if you cant find your veins, they claim. 

I don't go to classy places. People just inject weed in or outside the library nowadays as far as I know. I remember Cosmic Comic Cafe had blue lights in the john like ten or fifteen years ago vOv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've heard that injecting weed is the most lethal way to do it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Wait what, what the gently caress

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

jaken97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGquxvqI_Y
Colin Furze never ceases to be a source of amusement and wonder.

This guy is definitely too weird to die, but i'm sure his fingers aren't long for this realm.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/E24ij1F.mp4

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i am firmly convinced colin while an absolute treasure has made a pact with dark gods.

and he keeps finding more dangerous things to possibly do and managing not to die doing them

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

holy poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Asmodai_00 posted:

holy poo poo

I know, right?

NEVER place your grinder face down. if you grab it by the button it could kick and take out your kneecap.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I've heard that injecting weed is the most lethal way to do it.

You know someone is failing fast when they start butt-chugging it. So sad to see them walking around like that.

Finland, Florida of the North. Sorry, I'll stop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: nvm

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LifeSunDeath posted:

This guy is definitely too weird to die, but i'm sure his fingers aren't long for this realm.

He's been doing this stuff for years and years, with only minor injuries.

I think he's under the protection of some kind of arcane British shed magick.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I would have flailed around a lot longer before going for the grinder tbf

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

suuma posted:

Wait what, what the gently caress

Probably a bridge collapsed, someone decided to get creative, and everyone followed them before the police could set up cones.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can now adopt a hallway at work to make it phone-walking free. I'm not sure how it works beyond the dorky adopt a highway knockoff posters. Maybe you can safely jump in front of phone-walkers and go BOO?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Running tackle errrrrybody

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mustached Demon posted:

You can now adopt a hallway at work to make it phone-walking free. I'm not sure how it works beyond the dorky adopt a highway knockoff posters. Maybe you can safely jump in front of phone-walkers and go BOO?

Do you get a cap or a sash for enforcement?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
excuse me if its America a full tactical ensemble is more appropriate.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Syncopated posted:

I would have flailed around a lot longer before going for the grinder tbf

that's the resigned reaction of someone who's done this before imo

or it's scripted

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDa8tR25dk

Apologies since this isn't really OSHA but I can't think of a better thread to share it in.

If it's been linked previously, my bad.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mustached Demon posted:

Sounds like a job for Terry Tate: Office Linebacker.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

Apologies since this isn't really OSHA but I can't think of a better thread to share it in.

If it's been linked previously, my bad.

If you're not watching the HBO miniseries, you should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
More Australian OSHA....

(3.6m = 11'9")