Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just did the first autox of the year and god I'm glad winters over. 5th of 16 in class too and got 9 runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Just did the first autox of the year and god I'm glad winters over. 5th of 16 in class too and got 9 runs.

:hellyeah: :)

I picked up the class record for one of the local orgs time trial series yesterday. ProAutosports HL3 at Arizona Motorsports Park, managed a 1:49:500. Previous record was a 1:51:960, I believe.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 5, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

About 2.5 seconds is more like smashed the record. Good job.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone in the market for a HANS device? I got a slightly used adjustable one, that'll work in formula and regular cars, so the old one has to go. It'll need to be sent in and recertified but it's in good shape and never been in a serious crash.

Might just send it in for recertify and new straps then list it locally but thought I'd give you guys first chance at it.

edit: BIR SCCA school at the end of this month in a spec racer ford, NCM end of June with the locost

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 8, 2019

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

I read the OP but still have a question on what path I should take. I've autocrossed the past two years and have thought about getting in to track driving. My local PCA chapter has HPDEs at NJMP as well as Pocono raceway, but I'm wondering if that's the best way of going forward? I currently have a 987 Boxster Spyder, which seems like it's probably the wrong thing to use if I want to get in to racing long term. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty much the definition of a weekend racer. I'm not going to be winning Spec Miata anytime soon, so it seems silly to track something that has expensive consumables until I'm too good for Spec Miata (which I'm assuming will be never).

That being said, I'd like to dip my toes in the water a bit more before buying a Spec Miata and having my wife threaten to divorce me. What's the best way of doing that? Would getting in to something like Chump Car be ok? Is that a decent path for someone who's just starting out? Is there a way to go out with a group that's looking for another body to fill a seat?

Seat time, Seat time, Seat time. Driving on a track has a bit of a different skill set than that of AutoX. Specifically, you will need to slow your hands down. Most AutoX/Karting drivers that take our school wind up throwing the car at the corner, with an inital jerk reaction on the steering wheel, while on full track driving, you want to start turning the wheel very slowly to get that initial weight transfer before fully cranking the wheel. Vision will also be key, most people don't look far enough.

I just finished a 2 day school at Calabogie Motorsports Park with a group of 'advanced' students, who... boy oh boy, can't drive and chew gum at the same time. Before you go road racing, and to be honestly, before you do 'solo' track days, you need to be able to think. The speed is not important. Being consistent, the same line, the same apex, over, and over and over again - like you are your favourite song on repeat.

As soon as we opened up passing, people started driving like animals - missing their apexes, missing yellow flags, black flags... and almost causing a huge collision when they refused to pass the tow truck during that scenario. We'd be on the track, a yellow flag would come out, and the student wouldn't check up even 1%. They would just say: It's an exercise, and not understand that there is no different between an 'Exercise' yellow, and a 'There is a car spun in the middle of the track' yellow, which - there was a few of because of peoples lack of ability to control their vehicles.

Many clubs do point-by passing, because they say it is safer. It is a cop-out because they focus on teaching the students to drive before the teach the students on how to be aware of their surroundings. Just like on the street, you need to know who is behind you, who is ahead of you. Be predictable, be on point, and plan your maneuvers. If you know that car with 200hp less than you is up your rear end, when you exit the corner, you aren't going to nail the throttle and let that guy get a momentum pass on you. You don't need to point and tell that driver, its okay to pass. It is your responsibility to be aware that you are getting passed, and the passer's responsibility to get the job done.

I'd say do HPDEs, lapping days. Check PCA, BMW, and any and all other groups. If an instructor is telling you that you're slow - get a different instructor. An instructor should be telling you that your lines are great, you're doing this and that right and that wrong. That feedback will allow you to push harder. I've often asked students if this is as fast as they feel they can go, and if they say yes... I don't push the issue. Most of the time they will say: I feel like I am slow here and there... and that is where we work on it - together.

If you got any questions; feel free to holler.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fuzz_83 posted:

Many clubs do point-by passing, because they say it is safer. It is a cop-out because they focus on teaching the students to drive before the teach the students on how to be aware of their surroundings.

If you know that car with 200hp less than you is up your rear end, when you exit the corner, you aren't going to nail the throttle and let that guy get a momentum pass on you.

I would argue that pointing-by is a way to get you to always be looking around you to aid with managing traffic.
I don't like pointing by, as a fairly low-skilled driver.

Take the exact scenario you pointed out -- I'm fine with taking an off line after apex and letting faster drivers pass through. But while setting up a non optimal line while having them 6 inches off my bumper, I don't like further complicating things by taking one of my hands off the wheel and giving the point by. I want to be focused on driving right, but do the point by because that's the rules.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is why I prefer orgs that tell you to stay on line when being passed, it's always a shitshow when you roll up on someone quick and they start acting weird, especially if the cars are making their lap times in dramatically different places of the track

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I'd rather have an org. that has a procedure defined than one that just freewheels it. I went to one trackday where the organizers decided, in the middle of the morning driver's meeting, to allow point-bys OR use of a turn indicator as a "pass-me" sign if you had a window net or other restraint that prevented you from sticking your arm out. OK, a little more forewarning would be nice but whatever.

I had guys on the track using their turn indicators on the side they wanted me to pass on, on the opposite side they wanted me to pass on, running off-line to the edge of the track and then indicating on the off-track side, turning on their four-ways, blinking their indicator once and then nailing the gas... and not a single reprimand or reminder for anyone.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 9, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

That is why I prefer orgs that tell you to stay on line when being passed, it's always a shitshow when you roll up on someone quick and they start acting weird, especially if the cars are making their lap times in dramatically different places of the track

God, not empty quoting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The point of the point-by is to control the traffic behind you to pass where and when you’re comfortable. The overtaking car should be the one to go offline, too. :psyduck:

If you’re not comfortable throwing your hand out the window in the middle of a corner, then don’t. Wait until the car is straight and you have nothing better to do for the next 10 seconds on the front straight or back straight. You’re under no obligation to put yourself in danger to invite the Corvette behind you from putting his nose in your door.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Fuzz_83 posted:

I just finished a 2 day school at Calabogie Motorsports Park with a group of 'advanced' students, who... boy oh boy, can't drive and chew gum at the same time. Before you go road racing, and to be honestly, before you do 'solo' track days, you need to be able to think. The speed is not important. Being consistent, the same line, the same apex, over, and over and over again - like you are your favourite song on repeat.

Was this the AISA race school?

Re point by - with the org I usually run with, the person being passed holds their line and the passer goes off line to pass. The person being passed must point by to initiate the pass, as this is confirmation that they know its coming.

Insurance requires point by passing for our events or they won't insure.

kimbo305 posted:

Take the exact scenario you pointed out -- I'm fine with taking an off line after apex and letting faster drivers pass through. But while setting up a non optimal line while having them 6 inches off my bumper, I don't like further complicating things by taking one of my hands off the wheel and giving the point by. I want to be focused on driving right, but do the point by because that's the rules.

Ours is also only in designated zones on track for the novice and intermediate sessions, so you wouldn't need to worry about taking your hands off the wheel to point by until you're on a straight. No one should be 6" off your bumper on a track day regardless of run group.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 9, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TrueChaos posted:

Ours is also only in designated zones on track for the novice and intermediate sessions, so you wouldn't need to worry about taking your hands off the wheel to point by until you're on a straight. No one should be 6" off your bumper on a track day regardless of run group.

The days I did with BMWCCA were like that at intermediate -- designated point-by zones all on straights, generally pretty even skill level in a run group. Very easy to work.

COMSCC was extremely lax, with way too high of a skill range per run group, point-by anywhere, and every other car passing without waiting for point-by. I remember out of one turn, I got passed both on the inside and the outside simultaneously.

Phone posted:

The point of the point-by is to control the traffic behind you to pass where and when you’re comfortable. The overtaking car should be the one to go offline, too. :psyduck:

Yeah, I know it's the passer who should go offline, but I was not comfortable with some of the passes they were making when I was on line, so if I had someone right behind me in the braking zone, I would usually go in slower and keep more to the inside after the apex. Usually they'd be alongside me already passing by the time I was starting the point by.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Usually they'd be alongside me already passing by the time I was starting the point by.

I fully admit to having yet to do a proper track day but this sounds like the people in these groups do not fundamentally understand the purpose of a point by.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Never change your line. Never never never. Always be predictable. If all of a sudden you change your line to be courteous, you become unpredictable.

We want the driver ahead to be driving on their line, and not have to make the decision for the car behind on when to pass. Because if the guy ahead only remembers to point you by 3/4 down the straight away, now your in a harry situation... and it also screws up the flow because you can't use your momentum exiting the corner.

Slow car: Oh Look... A faster car is approaching, this guy will probable pass me in the next passing zone.
Faster car: Oh Look, I'm catching this guy really quick in the corners, I can carry more momentum
Slow car: Theres my reference for breaking, theres my reference for the apex, lets turn in, wheres my exit marker, oh there it is, okay groovy baby, lets get a run out as fast as possible, and use all of the width of the track and stay on my line, and not go full throttle on exit to help them pass.
Faster car: BRRRAAAAPAPAPAPAPPAPA VTEC BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSTTTTTTTT
Slow car: Look at that Honda Fit go... I should follow him for a few laps in my Porsche 911 GT3RS and see where he is going faster.

TrueChaos posted:

Was this the AISA race school?

Yes sir. Former student?

Fuzz_83 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2019

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

COMSCC was extremely lax, with way too high of a skill range per run group, point-by anywhere, and every other car passing without waiting for point-by. I remember out of one turn, I got passed both on the inside and the outside simultaneously.

We tell everyone to play nice at the drivers meeting and explain that we have no issues sending people home, with a smile on our faces, and will even invite them back at the next event. We've found that most people don't do dumbass poo poo like this, probably because the traffic naturally flows so well that people don't get frustrated.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fuzz_83 posted:

Slow car: Look at that Honda Fit go... I should follow him for a few laps in my Porsche 911 GT3RS and see where he is going faster.

LOL

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Fuzz_83 posted:

Never change your line. Never never never. Always be predictable. If all of a sudden you change your line to be courteous, you become unpredictable.

We want the driver ahead to be driving on their line, and not have to make the decision for the car behind on when to pass. Because if the guy ahead only remembers to point you by 3/4 down the straight away, now your in a harry situation... and it also screws up the flow because you can't use your momentum exiting the corner.

Yes sir. Former student?

I'm hoping to take the school next year if I can get the time off work, we'll see. The MSF level 2 instructor course is more of a priority, and I need to put a race seat and harness in the passenger side before that. I instruct with motorsport club of Ottawa at Calabogie & Shannonville, as well as Calabogie's novice days. I put a bucket and harness on the drivers side shortly after being signed off solo.

A thousand times keep your line and be predictable. If you're on your line I can set up my corner into the straight to put me off line on exit ready to pass. If the guy ahead only points you by 3/4 of the way down the straight, just don't pass. I can completely understand not doing point bys at a race school, but otherwise it's not the end of the world to be stuck behind someone for a few more corners. Worst case come through pit lane and get the pit out martial to give you some space. With MCO, you won't be signed off solo if you can't manage to both point cars by and make the correct judgement call on if you have enough time to make a pass if someone gives you a late point by. We typically have an instructor out in the novice session specifically giving late point bys so we can evaluate what the student will do in that scenario.

We ran open passing in the advanced group for a few events until insurance found out and slapped our wrists. It was fantastic in the advanced group, everyone was hyper aware and anyone who wasn't comfortable bumped themselves back to intermediate on their own.

Surprised that you had that many idiots in that course - most HPDE days at bogie seem to run really smoothly, with few incidents. Any tips on temptation in a miata? I've tried so many different lines through it and can't decide between about 3 different ones which is best. No appreciable difference in lap time or corner exit speed. I can't pm you, but are you local?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone around VIR interested in participating in a 2H Enduro Kart race? It's arrive-and-drive, $220 team entry fee. My neighbor and I are going, but we need at least two more to round out the team. Total for-fun thing. If so, shoot me a PM.
Information
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come join us for wheel to wheel karting at VIR! The same weekend that THSCC will be running its HPDE program we will have an arrive-and-drive two-hour karting enduro at the VIR Kart Track on Saturday afternoon.

Please note, if it is raining this event will be canceled and your cards will not be charged. We plan to make the call by 11AM that day, if not earlier.

NOTE: Registration for this event constitutes one team entry. That means only the team captain must sign up. A maximum of twelve (12) teams can compete at this event.

Entry fee is $220 per team. Payment method must be provided upon registration, however cards will not be charged until registration closes 9pm Wednesday before the event.

If you would like to participate in parade laps around VIR, please arrive and be in line by 11AM. Parade laps will occur approximately from 11:15am-11:45am.

Check out some video of similar enduro events at this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7PwiYyKUs

Event Schedule

Registration Closes & entry fees charged Wednesday, May 29th @ 9:00 PM
Driver weigh-in and Drivers' Meeting Saturday, June 1st @ 5:00 PM
Race Start Saturday, June 1s @ 6:00 PM
Checkered Flag Saturday, June 1s @ 8:00 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...0isDQYPPWDM6ylQ

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just saw that and I’m gonna be out of town. :(

The VIR karts and track are good.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

TrueChaos posted:

I'm hoping to take the school next year if I can get the time off work, we'll see. The MSF level 2 instructor course is more of a priority, and I need to put a race seat and harness in the passenger side before that. I instruct with motorsport club of Ottawa at Calabogie & Shannonville, as well as Calabogie's novice days. I put a bucket and harness on the drivers side shortly after being signed off solo.

A lot of people keep telling me to do the MSF course, and I've had a few discussions with people, and to be honest - I see their point, I see whats the goals are, but I don't see the need, as at the end of the day, its the organization that is running the event to ensure they have qualified instructors. If Rob turn around tomorrow and says MCO is going to only use MSFII Instructors, and doesn't properly structure the day, or the course, or make sure that he is actually working with qualified instructors... that is a recipe for disaster. I'm part of a few of Ross's groups and the stuff I see other instructors posting is... wow.

Case in point to why I don't get MSF certification: You need to get a race seat and harness into the car to do the course? Why? My ability to dispense knowledge that I've acquired over the years has nothing to do with my ability to drive. So why do I have to show up with a track worthy car.

TrueChaos posted:

We ran open passing in the advanced group for a few events until insurance found out and slapped our wrists. It was fantastic in the advanced group, everyone was hyper aware and anyone who wasn't comfortable bumped themselves back to intermediate on their own.

Open passing, while not racing to me is dumb. Non-Point by in dedicated zones (Straight line, straight steering wheel, before the braking zone) which is what we do at Schools, Lapping Days, no issues with insurance. Big difference.

TrueChaos posted:

Surprised that you had that many idiots in that course - most HPDE days at bogie seem to run really smoothly, with few incidents. Any tips on temptation in a miata? I've tried so many different lines through it and can't decide between about 3 different ones which is best. No appreciable difference in lap time or corner exit speed. I can't pm you, but are you local?

We didn't have any incidents, but the 'everyones a winner' mentality is starting to come into HPDE. I don't know how some people get signed off. Advanced students that have done 10+ days at CMP, are driving cone to cone. And I can feel the car jerk as they point the car at the next cone. It normally prompts a question like: Do you need cones to get to work in the morning or do you have that ability to figure that poo poo out. We've purposely removed cones in the braking zones and OH MY GOD people lose their poo poo... and we do it to prove a point: You're looking at the cones, not at the track and you're not looking far enough.
It happens when you start to force drivers out of their element by making them focus on other things (Like a flag, or a cone on the track). This is why I have an issue with point-bys, and organizations that teach people on how to go fast.

As for Temptation...
That is Temptation. There are 100000 lines through there. Do whatever you have to do, to get on the power as early as possible and carry as much speed out as you can. If that doesn't make a difference, then do whatever it easiest on the car (the less wear and tear).
There is no specific line per car, because every car is different, even the same make, model and year. I know 5 guys with Miatas, ranging from 150whp to 430whp, they all drive their car differently.

There are also other factors that are completely separate from the racing line such as:
1. What does the car do (how is it handling and responding to certain inputs)
2. What are you doing as a driver to provoke the handling... for example, is the rear end twitchy because your using too much brake pressure while trail braking, or is the front end pushing because your not trail braking enough?
3. What level of pucker factor are you at. If you're scared to all hell, you will never press the gas, no matter how stable the car is.

My Civic, which has got a 32mm sway bar on it... I ' Vee ' off the corner, double apex. So I pass the 3-2-1... Turn in, THEN Brake, Cut the inside, Run towards the rock, pivot the car and drive out.

Local: Outskirts of Montreal. I'm at bogie often. I coach there, I coach with CMP, MCO, BMW Ottawa, BMW Quebec, I'm a race official, I was going to go to CMTP this weekend and work the weekend there but I've decided to say gently caress it - I travel too much for work, I need a weekend at home.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Fuzz_83 posted:

A lot of people keep telling me to do the MSF course, and I've had a few discussions with people, and to be honest - I see their point, I see whats the goals are, but I don't see the need, as at the end of the day, its the organization that is running the event to ensure they have qualified instructors. If Rob turn around tomorrow and says MCO is going to only use MSFII Instructors, and doesn't properly structure the day, or the course, or make sure that he is actually working with qualified instructors... that is a recipe for disaster. I'm part of a few of Ross's groups and the stuff I see other instructors posting is... wow.

Case in point to why I don't get MSF certification: You need to get a race seat and harness into the car to do the course? Why? My ability to dispense knowledge that I've acquired over the years has nothing to do with my ability to drive. So why do I have to show up with a track worthy car.

Open passing, while not racing to me is dumb. Non-Point by in dedicated zones (Straight line, straight steering wheel, before the braking zone) which is what we do at Schools, Lapping Days, no issues with insurance. Big difference.

We didn't have any incidents, but the 'everyones a winner' mentality is starting to come into HPDE. I don't know how some people get signed off. Advanced students that have done 10+ days at CMP, are driving cone to cone. And I can feel the car jerk as they point the car at the next cone. It normally prompts a question like: Do you need cones to get to work in the morning or do you have that ability to figure that poo poo out. We've purposely removed cones in the braking zones and OH MY GOD people lose their poo poo... and we do it to prove a point: You're looking at the cones, not at the track and you're not looking far enough.
It happens when you start to force drivers out of their element by making them focus on other things (Like a flag, or a cone on the track). This is why I have an issue with point-bys, and organizations that teach people on how to go fast.

As for Temptation...
That is Temptation. There are 100000 lines through there. Do whatever you have to do, to get on the power as early as possible and carry as much speed out as you can. If that doesn't make a difference, then do whatever it easiest on the car (the less wear and tear).
There is no specific line per car, because every car is different, even the same make, model and year. I know 5 guys with Miatas, ranging from 150whp to 430whp, they all drive their car differently.

There are also other factors that are completely separate from the racing line such as:
1. What does the car do (how is it handling and responding to certain inputs)
2. What are you doing as a driver to provoke the handling... for example, is the rear end twitchy because your using too much brake pressure while trail braking, or is the front end pushing because your not trail braking enough?
3. What level of pucker factor are you at. If you're scared to all hell, you will never press the gas, no matter how stable the car is.

My Civic, which has got a 32mm sway bar on it... I ' Vee ' off the corner, double apex. So I pass the 3-2-1... Turn in, THEN Brake, Cut the inside, Run towards the rock, pivot the car and drive out.

Local: Outskirts of Montreal. I'm at bogie often. I coach there, I coach with CMP, MCO, BMW Ottawa, BMW Quebec, I'm a race official, I was going to go to CMTP this weekend and work the weekend there but I've decided to say gently caress it - I travel too much for work, I need a weekend at home.

The MSFII course requires equal restraints, and as I've got a bucket & 6pt the passenger side needs that as well, which makes perfect sense. I guess I could put the stock seat in but that's a lot of hassle and then I'm not under the roll bar.

I like having number boards because they're an easy reference point for braking, but I haven't paid much attention to the cones in years. People still do that after they've learned the track?

I use that same line for temptation, except I'm braking a bit at the 1, turn in & trail brake. I'll see if I can turn in with less or no brakes (I've been loosing ground on entry there compared to others, so I'm sure it's possible).

Enjoy your weekend off! We've likely met before. If you see a black nb with one bucket and one stock seat, come say hi.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Fuzz_83 posted:

Advanced students that have done 10+ days at CMP, are driving cone to cone. And I can feel the car jerk as they point the car at the next cone. It normally prompts a question like: Do you need cones to get to work in the morning or do you have that ability to figure that poo poo out. We've purposely removed cones in the braking zones and OH MY GOD people lose their poo poo... and we do it to prove a point: You're looking at the cones, not at the track and you're not looking far enough.

Ditch the cones altogether. Yes, this makes teaching the green students a little more challenging without the visual crutch, but they won't have to unlearn bad habits later if they never pick them up in the first place.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

When I was instructing, it's been a while, we removed the cones at lunch on the first day. We'd warn the students so they wouldn't be surprised but it helped reduce the cone-to-cone driving.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Fuzz_83 posted:

I've never had a problem with this running the north east US, the open passing days or groups are normally all racers in racecars, or seasoned TT guys, or racers in street cars.

Days tend to be invite only, and run groups during other events tend to be racers only in race cars with nets up in full safety gear.

I don't see a problem with open passing, but I don't recommend it with normal hpde folks in the same session.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I’ve got a track day coming up at the Thunderhill West track on Thursday and forecast looks like it’s gonna be raining throughout the day. I’m running a 94 Miata and normally run Hankook RS3s. Wondering if it’s a wet day if it’d be better to run the stock wheels on all seasons instead?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's the production date on those rs3s :thunk:

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Now that you mention it, they’re probably from like 2013 or 2014 or something. All seasons are probably similar. I can check them out tomorrow.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

But yes, all seasons will be a hell of more forgiving to drive in the wet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd take the RS3s (or any 180-200TW Extreme Summer) over all-seasons in the wet.

I'd also take tires that aren't 5 years old, too.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Phone posted:

I'd take the RS3s (or any 180-200TW Extreme Summer) over all-seasons in the wet.

Other 200tw? Yes. RE71s are sublime at full tread in the wet. RS3s? Absolutely loving not. The worst wet breakaway of *any* tire I've driven on track, including NT01s worn past the tread marks. That was when new, I can't imagine what old date codes are like.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The RS3s had bad breakaway characteristics overall; however, they were absolutely fine in the wet. Running all seasons in the wet isn't like running snow tires for rallycross.

It was a decent tire and an upgrade over the RS2, less vague under braking and way more grippy.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 15, 2019

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
0415 date code on these. Guess it’ll be a good learning experience for low grip situations!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
fortunately you're in a car :v: i had an expensive mistake at 3 in the rain a few years ago

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

e: Wrong thread.

net work error fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2019

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's fun watching cars race where I've lapped. It's a bit of a boring track in a stock powered miata though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wrong thread my bad!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

SCCA comp school starts tomorrow morning. We're driving spec racer fords and the weather looks slightly less than ideal...

This is going to be a blast, I'm pumped.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That looks like terror :eyepop:

I picked up two second places in TT4 this weekend at WHP East (~1m lap time). The winner both days was a guy with an Integra on Hoosiers; Saturday there was a 1.2 second gap, Sunday I closed it to about .8s. I wish Maxxis would do contingency because there is no way I am spending hoho money.
Also picked up another TA-B win on Sunday, so I am still leading the class and overall.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I picked up two second places in TT4 this weekend at WHP East (~1m lap time). The winner both days was a guy with an Integra on Hoosiers; Saturday there was a 1.2 second gap, Sunday I closed it to about .8s. I wish Maxxis would do contingency because there is no way I am spending hoho money.
Also picked up another TA-B win on Sunday, so I am still leading the class and overall.

Nice job dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

You've run nt01s right? What are your thoughts on RC-1s?

Need new tires for mid-season on the racecar and the nankangs I wanted to try are out of stock everywhere.