Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=fGVIWkVmtY0&start1=120&video2=ks3D4VySI1c&start2=00&authorName=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah it's hard to justify Aryas 20 minutes in that episode without thinking she's not involved next week but hey that's got

If you believe D&D in the after credits interview they state that they put Arya in those bits to give us a character we care about in peril instead of just random peasants and soldiers.

After about the second fakeout though I totally stopped thinking she was in any danger though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should have used Davos. Then I would have been worried the character may have actually been able to die.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Unnamed One posted:

Also: the show wants to establish Jon is more popular than Dany, but with the way things were done there’s no way that’s true outside of the North.

As far as people in the South know, he’s just the dude who won the Battle of the Bastards, with help from the Vale.

Why the gently caress would anyone in the Riverlands care about Jon Snow? Or the Stormlands? The Reach? Or the Iron Islands outside of Yara (who probably doesn’t give a poo poo either, really)?

The show just wants us to assume Jon is more popular than Dany, but that really just applies to one specific part of Westeros.

She could’ve unsuccessfully tried to establish herself in the other Kingdoms before moving on to King’s Landing, but the show really doesn’t care to explore the political ramifications of anything anymore.

This would have made a good final season. After S8 could have been the war with the dead and it would consume most of Westeros. The houses and Lords continue to join Jon and Dany as they keep getting pushed back. Ultimately they defeat the NK and Jon and Dany are seen as equally responsible for winning the war. The conflict of Jon’s reveal to Dany is spread out throughout a season and Varys/Tyrions’ plotting can be given room to grow. The final shorter season is then about taking KL and defeating the Lannister’s, GC, and anyone else that joined them while also playing the politics of who exactly should end up in the throne. 2 seasons of constant conflict where Dany is at odds with Jon while also having no choice but to rely and count on him to get through it while she faces some very big losses (Jorah, Missandei, Rhaegal) can help her descent to madness more natural.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Unnamed One posted:

Also: the show wants to establish Jon is more popular than Dany, but with the way things were done there’s no way that’s true outside of the North.

As far as people in the South know, he’s just the dude who won the Battle of the Bastards, with help from the Vale.

Why the gently caress would anyone in the Riverlands care about Jon Snow? Or the Stormlands? The Reach? Or the Iron Islands outside of Yara (who probably doesn’t give a poo poo either, really)?

The show just wants us to assume Jon is more popular than Dany, but that really just applies to one specific part of Westeros.

She could’ve unsuccessfully tried to establish herself in the other Kingdoms before moving on to King’s Landing, but the show really doesn’t care to explore the political ramifications of anything anymore.

This show doesn't care about those places anymore except as parsels to be doled out for secondary characters to have their names attached to. By all means most of the realm should be knee deep in snow and nearing starvation but it looked balmy and calm in KL until the dragon fired them up so best just not to think about it. The realm = KL, Dragonstone, and the North. That's it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Most people I have talked to think Arya will kill Dany

It does seem like Arya will be the one to do it; her seeing the devastation of King's Landing and the loss of innocent life as part of rediscovering her own humanity can't be for nothing, but I can certainly see them playing her off into the sunset without doing anything else important. I would speculate that maybe Arya, wearing Jon's face, is the one who kills Dany and Jon ends up taking the blame anyway because he wants to protect his sister and it's an excuse not to take the crown, but I don't think Arya can copy living people so. There's just so many ways d&d can gently caress it up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're gonna play up Arya being the one to do it and have Jon actually kill her as a "shocking twist." Might even do a stupid fake out where they show Arya's face reacting to it before they reveal it was Jon.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

They should have used Davos. Then I would have been worried the character may have actually been able to die.

Make them suddenly remember Davos’s wife and he’s trying to find her.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dany's fear about Jon isnt misplaced. He has a legitimate claim to the throne and is a good leader who is well liked by people (other than that one time his own guys killed him), has a miraculous / supernatural origin story, and is a good fighter. No, the people in Dorne have no idea who he is, but hes clearly a credible rival for the throne whether he wants to be or not

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
It's 100% Jon based on the leak descriptions

quote:

The tone of it is very tragic. It's kind of like she's completely consumed by madness and he's saying how much he loves her and he's loyal to her, then he stabs her when he gets close enough. It's obviously traumatizing for him to do because he does love her. This is actually the one thing I hope they keep in the books, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's where they got it from. Obviously, the show didn't do a good job of getting to this endpoint in a way that makes sense for the characters, so it feels sudden and unearned, but I could see the books pulling it off.
Yeah, at that point Jon is horrified by what Dany has done to King's Landing, and she gives speeches about how she'll keep doing it to free slaves from their chains. He's also convinced by Tyrion that his family will never be safe because he presents a threat to her rule, so he's motivated by that as well, I'm sure.

radlum
May 13, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Dany's fear about Jon isnt misplaced. He has a legitimate claim to the throne and is a good leader who is well liked by people (other than that one time his own guys killed him), has a miraculous / supernatural origin story, and is a good fighter. No, the people in Dorne have no idea who he is, but hes clearly a credible rival for the throne whether he wants to be or not

They should have shown that in the show. Maybe have that new prince of Dorne teleport to Winterfell and get along better with Jon or maybe use Yara again and have her going from supporting Dany to being best buds with Jon. Something to establish that Jon is liked by people outside the North and how that puts Dany's claim in danger of not being supported.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Imagined posted:

If you believe D&D in the after credits interview they state that they put Arya in those bits to give us a character we care about in peril instead of just random peasants and soldiers.

After about the second fakeout though I totally stopped thinking she was in any danger though.

Right. Assuming the spoilers are right, though, we just watched best assassin Arya, who dedicated her life to revenge, spend 20 minutes seeing Innocents being burned to death or crushed by rubble and she's going to do absolutely nothing in revenge

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

radlum posted:

They should have shown that in the show. Maybe have that new prince of Dorne teleport to Winterfell and get along better with Jon or maybe use Yara again and have her going from supporting Dany to being best buds with Jon. Something to establish that Jon is liked by people outside the North and how that puts Dany's claim in danger of not being supported.

But wouldn't it save room for more action sequences if they just skipped all that and didn't bother justifying it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jon kills Dany. Takes the black.

EPILOGUE.

Jon in the ruins of castle black. Takes off his face. It’s actually Arya. Also Bran is there. He says “now we can begin”. His eyes begin to glow blue.

Ghost is behind both of them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Last shot, Bran is looking out at his loyal subjects and he turns to the camera a la Frank Underwood. "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." He winks. Cut to black.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm assuming Arya would be able to take Jon's face since he's died before 🤷🏾‍♀️

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
How many castles are just sitting empty in this dumb show? Dragonstone was empty until Dany moved in at the beginning of season 7 (and then left it again until recently). Cersei was going to give Bronn Riverrun (Edmure Tully is still alive but homeless, I guess) until Tyrion/Jaime said they'd give him Highgarden. No one knew if anyone was living at Storm's End so Dany gave it to Gendry. The Twins are empty because Arya killed all the Freys.

Now that I think about it, the Twins would be perfect for Bronn. It's two castles (two is better than one) plus the whole point of it is the ability to extract a price for allowing people to cross the Trident. That's perfect for a cutthroat.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Arya choosing to let go of her personal vengeance, going through like half an hour of the horror Dany is causing to the common folk, looking up at the dragon that is the instrument of said horror and then getting on the magically spawned Horse of Obvious Death Symbolism is clearly setting her up to kill Danny.

All of which means they'll subvert our expectations by having someone else do it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What I expected:
Winterfell: Sansa
Dorne: lol
The Twins: Bronn
Casterly Rock : Tyrion's corpse
The Vale: "who again"
Highgarden : Sam (let's be real gilly would be doing the actual ruling).

I doubt any but sansa will be true.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Edmure Tully will get Riverrun in ten years when Tyrion happens to find him in a cell at Casterly Rock when he's home for the holidays.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bloom posted:

Arya choosing to let go of her personal vengeance, going through like half an hour of the horror Dany is causing to the common folk, looking up at the dragon that is the instrument of said horror and then getting on the magically spawned Horse of Obvious Death Symbolism is clearly setting her up to kill Danny.

All of which means they'll subvert our expectations by having someone else do it.

I feel like they really shot themselves in the foot with Arya killing the Night King. Like what you're saying makes total sense, but because Arya already killed an important person this season, they can't have her do it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nail Rat posted:

Last shot, Bran is looking out at his loyal subjects and he turns to the camera a la Frank Underwood. "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." He winks. Cut to black.

He says "All hail king no one"

You'd think the people who assume Arya is going to kill Dany would wonder then why Arya didn't also kill Cersei.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I loved Arya killing the NK, but besides a couple of mentions in episode 4, no one has talked about it. She killed the big bad, the monster that was gonna destroy Westeros and no one talks about it. Not even Jon who was really into the whole "the dead are coming" thing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Arya will kill Danny’s last dragon. :black101:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Variety ranked all episodes of Game of Thrones (excluding the finale).
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/game-of-thrones-episodes-ranked-1203212161/

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Arya will kill Danny’s last dragon. :black101:

Would make more sense tbh, she did get a fancy stick and surprise sticks are shown to be supereffective against dragens and she already mastered teleporting in offscreen.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Zedd posted:

What I expected:
Winterfell: Sansa
Dorne: lol
The Twins: Bronn
Casterly Rock : Tyrion's corpse
The Vale: "who again"
Highgarden : Sam (let's be real gilly would be doing the actual ruling).

I doubt any but sansa will be true.

Sweetrobin will bring glory back to House Arryn, bringing a thousand years of milk and prosperity.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

clown shoes posted:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/game-of-thrones-episodes-ranked-1203212161/

They go five episodes before getting to anything from the last two seasons, list already invalidated.

edit: wow, they have 4 of the season 8 episodes in the top 22. This is a poo poo list.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
The reaction to the episode over the internet is everything i hoped for

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

clown shoes posted:

2 season 8 episodes in the top 10. Yes A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was good but lol at Battle of Winterfell as number 5

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Zedd posted:

Would make more sense tbh, she did get a fancy stick and surprise sticks are shown to be supereffective against dragens and she already mastered teleporting in offscreen.

Arya teleporting behind drogon the dragon and stabbing it in the neck would be gloriously stupid. Bonus points if the dragon is flying when she does it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

jisforjosh posted:

2 season 8 episodes in the top 10. Yes A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was good but lol at Battle of Winterfell as number 5

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was good, but it's not THAT good.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

clown shoes posted:

This list, somewhat inadvertently, reminded me of how tightly plotted and memorable so many episodes and scenes from season 1 were, and I feel like we never did get that level of narrative cleanliness again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

clown shoes posted:

That sure is a list, a lot of good rankings but then shite eps sprinkled throughout.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

clown shoes posted:

lol that list couldn’t be more wrong

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Season 6 is overrated.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I think it’s just that season 5 was real boring so season 6 was a nice refreshing breath of...mild air?

:kiddo:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

radlum posted:

It wouldn't have really added anything. It's just information unless you add dramatic stakes to it.

Jon's already gotten along with a lot of people and amassed a lot of allies along the way. It's pretty clear the guy can pull it off and that people think he's leadership material. It's about his ability, not how many allies he has at any given moment.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 14, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

mastershakeman posted:

Right. Assuming the spoilers are right, though, we just watched best assassin Arya, who dedicated her life to revenge, spend 20 minutes seeing Innocents being burned to death or crushed by rubble and she's going to do absolutely nothing in revenge

Ahh yes but Sandor said "don't be like me" at the last minute so therefore

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It wouldn't have really added anything. It's just information.

It would be like Theon rescuing Yara. Or the scenes with Dorne and Olenna pledging to Daenerys. Unless you engineer some actual dramatic stakes around it, it's just "stuff that happens".

Jon's already gotten along with a lot of people and amassed a lot of allies along the way. It's pretty clear the guy can pull it off and that people think he's cool at this point, a random Dornish prince isn't going to change that.

It's still kind of weird for Dany to be all "nobody likes me :smith:" like 3 weeks after landing at Westeros (and gaining all these loyal allies including the exact person she is jealous of).

Jon being loved inside Winterfell by people he's fought beside for years shouldn't affect her as much as him attracting other nobles to his cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zohar posted:

She isn't Caligula mad. The basic reason is spelled out pretty clearly: everyone prefers Jon to her and she needs to make herself feared. She decides to do that in a pretty spectacular way, and is clearly not portrayed as mentally well, but it's in no way monkey-cheese random - just paranoia and narcissism.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the episode really doesn't focus on Dany at all except as a force of destruction so we don't know her motivations at the moment she snaps. Her perspective and discussion of her actions will come next episode going by the leaks.

It was written shoddily in the context of the season but I don't think the basic plot point is out of nowhere.

The "fear it is" line is definitely supposed to pave the way for everything she does in the latter half of the episode, but it's just not enough. It can't support the weight of her actions; it's "load-bearing drywall".