Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

reminder that the most successful and perfect game ever created was made in Soviet Russia :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Poland is not Soviet Russia.

Oh wait you mean Tetris...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah. Not Hatred.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is this game dead yet?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is this game dead yet?

no, this guy is streaming it right now to 72 people

https://www.twitch.tv/flexxy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kaysette posted:

oh wow that's like almost 100 people!!!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can’t wait for that awkward moment when Anthem is brought up at EA’s Play Event at E3.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

After showing a GaaS Dragon Age 4, natch

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kaysette posted:

Actually that's really a lot of people if you think about them in a room all together, and that wasn't even a question.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZeeBoi posted:

After showing a GaaS Dragon Age 4, natch

After showing a pre-rendered mock trailer of DA4 labelled "live gameplay footage" that will in retrospect contain nothing but cut or missing features.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My prediction: :bioware: won't be able to get AI controlled parties working on the Anthem code base so every recruitable character will stand around motionless in your base while you have to solo everything. Actually no, no recruitment at all. Cut all that too.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
No recruitment, no companions, no romance, no choices, no story, no melee combat

But your mage staff now handles like a gun

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gasoline posted:

No recruitment, no companions, no romance, no choices, no story, no melee combat

And you have two mage spells to choose from: large fireball and large lightning ball.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Kaysette posted:

do you think they actually like the game he's playing though

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/CkmpWg5.mp4

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Gasoline posted:

Back-mountable mini dragon that handles suspiciously like a jetpack.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Back-mountable mini dragon that handles suspiciously like a jetpack.

Magic carpet which is just a non-animated flat rectangular carpet texture you fly around on while stuck in a t-pose.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
They start from scratch again and this time they can't figure out how to make the camera 3rd person, so it's in 1st instead. Also there's a killfeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*strokes chin*

Wow it's incredible how much the new Dragon Age 4 world resembles the trenches in World War 1 France.

*turns corner*

Oh wow they didn't even delete the wrecked tank from the map they re-used.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

They start from scratch again and this time they can't figure out how to make the camera 3rd person, so it's in 1st instead. Also there's a killfeed.

It's first person but they have the player model and hitbox projected in front of the viewport, causing camera angles that would make Legacy of Kain: Defiance blush.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DancingShade posted:

*strokes chin*

Wow it's incredible how much the new Dragon Age 4 world resembles the trenches in World War 1 France.

*turns corner*

Oh wow they didn't even delete the wrecked tank from the map they re-used.
ACTUALLY it's a steam punk golem, you would know this if you immersed yourself in the rich tapestry of Thedas Lore (please ignore the multiple 'Baby Got Back' references in the rich tapestry)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao an unarmed person is coming at you and you allow him to kick you out of a god drat window. Bioware makes the worst cutscenes ever.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

https://twitter.com/darokaz/status/1128034821442277376?s=21

:rip:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao this is the deadest game.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

That guy works less than me and I’m on gardening leave

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

To preface, I'm a player closing in on 600 hours of playtime according to the Origins launcher. To be fair there have been a few times that I've left myself idle in Fort Tarsis overnight or been alt-tabbed and not realized it for a couple of hours, but for the most part it's been spent doing GM3 freeplay or GM1 HOR. I feel like this gives me an ample platform to discuss what I do like about Anthem and what I feel needs improvement. I'm going to try and keep this from being a loot post because I think it's been beaten to death. I do think that loot needs an overhaul, but would prefer it be a quality improvement over quantity, so you feel good when you get a legendary.

This is going to be a really long post but hopefully useful to those who still care, or BioWare if they feel like constructive (I think at least) criticism.

I stopped doing legendary missions and contracts about 3 weeks ago because more often than not I'd load into a session by myself, hang out for a few minutes then give up.

I run 90+ luck on all but my interceptor who is currently at 88.

I have a functional 788 Ranger, Colossus, and Storm (not all 100% ideal builds but decently close) and a 732 Interceptor.

Below I give my feedback on areas of the game.

General Improvements:

End of mission - Takes too long to end the mission when the boss dies. Elysian caches are gone, we auto rez when the boss dies, and loot goes into our inventory regardless. Don't need to stand around emoting for another 15 seconds.

I'd prefer to see my individual contributions in a mission, such as damage/healing/recovery/ultimate damage/ability vs weapon than to see what everyone on my team did by way of mission achievements. Something along the lines of enemies killed, solo kills, weak point percentage, total damage done etc. If you wanted to just give us a percentage on those that are only visible to us that would be cool so we see what our contribution is, and not necessarily to shame anyone else in particular (except that one guy running Grand Opening or Bitter Harvest).

Salvage all. I've gotten to the point where I don't bother picking up masterworks half of the time. The most frustrating part at end of a session is figuring out how to spam escape the correct amount of times so I can get to the salvage screen without skipping it, so that I don't have to go to the vault.

The vault reports a different number of slots used than the salvage screen (bug?). Why do I have level 1 items taking up slots in the vault? (maybe that's the difference in available spots?)

In freeplay, teammates should be on the compass no matter how close they are. There are too many times the player name disappears on the screen but they are too far to see their outline flying around.

When dead, let us hit escape and look at the map (so we can see where we died?), menus, or change gear (in compatible play modes).

Respawning should be closer to your previous objective or world event, or have a marker on the compass to lead you back.

Minimum item level per difficulty enforced outside of a 4-man squad, specifically in strongholds and legendary missions. I'm not too bothered by freeplay or contracts as they have plenty of areas for a lower health javelin to hide, but when damage and survivability mean the difference between multiple wipes it becomes taxing. The decline in playerbase exacerbates this.

Titans occasionally aren't affected by procs, whether they are gear or weapon. For example, Last Argument won't proc, Badge of Devastation, Tip of the Spear, etc. Having to grind down a titan doing 4-600 damage and ultimates not building when using an ultimate build is painful.

Put a very slight glowing outline around collectibles to make them stand out a little bit more. Seems silly to have to look at guides to find them instead of exploring and enjoying the world, especially in cluttered areas.

Get rid of the ????? challenge.

Legendary Javelin challenge is still broken.

Champion of Tarsis should be accelerated somehow, I don't have a suggestion for it though.

Not enough Luminaries in Freeplay. I haven't seen one spawn in weeks.

Enemy Gates and invisible spawns (when you see a bunch of 0's where you are AOEing) are frustrating. Would be good to find a solution to that, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Ralners Blaze - Single most used weapon, carries every class but Interceptor, and that's only because I haven't bothered putting it on yet.

Thunderbolt of Yvenia - Can be great, but I feel like the prime on Ralners tops it out.

Shotguns need to be more rewarding, full stop. They don't feel useful on GM3. Same goes for Grenade Launchers.

Elemental rage buff needs to last longer, and should proc on all mobs not just elite. If nothing else they should proc on Legendary enemies.

Emergency power - please show the 120 second cooldown somewhere.

Autocannons still using 2 bullets instead of 1

Stats - Yes. We need some sort of stats screen, some kind of uniformity, to build structure. The randomness and lack of insight into what our Javelin's strengths/weaknesses are pushes min maxers and hardcore gamers away. There are no theorycrafting sites out there, no build sites. Only spreadsheets-turned-stats in HTML form, but they are tedious and preclude sharing your ideal build because it'd be impossible to achieve.

Onto the Javelin's

Storm

I run Ruin, Daring, Emergency Power, Master, Pupil, Winter, Precision.

Feels weak in GM3 in all content, especially difficult to solo in any build outside of something with Winter's Wrath, Black Ice, 10k Suns. Being a primer is only good when you have teamwork to combo off of it or enjoy meleeing everything.
Ultimate builds too slowly, and can be hard to aim far away or gets redirected to any object that happens to fly in front of you, wasting a charge. Would be nice to have a visual vertical cone showing the area of effect instead of an orb.

Because you have to hover and dodge all the time, casting while moving can be difficult. I find myself bumping into objects frequently that throw my aim off. My own fault I'm sure but perhaps there could be a little more auto-aim associated with spells as they have such long CD's.

10K Suns - takes too much time to cast, and doing that 10 times to get the full buff gets tiring. Spamming it to get the buff works but feels unrewarding and by that time your target has un-frozen itself making you lose your combo. Does too little damage on GM3, even with lots of + damage.

Hailstorm's renewal - needs a huge buff. Shotgun style AOE that's hard to aim and doesn't do enough damage on GM3, especially with a 7 second CD. Should be labeled as a primer and isn't.

Stasis Chain - Not consistent in whether it arcs to another enemy, whether you're above it when you cast or horizontal to it. Can be amazing, or amazingly disappointing. For the cooldown it feels bad. I've got one with 200% charges and there are plenty of times I can't kill even something like a Scar Scout because it misses due to the above bumping into things (or even though my cursor turns red, it misses) Should be a detonator.

Binary Star - really cool, should be a primer. Feels really good to use against groups of enemies. Useless on single target, might be neat if it circled your enemy burning them all the while to make it more fun against single target.

Black Ice - Haven't played with it enough. Feels like I miss just like with Stasis Chain when I feel I shouldn't. Should do more damage.

Chaotic Rime - Feels bad to use, not enough damage, doesn't always prime or freeze enemies you expect it to.

Venemous Blaze - I like it, but it should apply acid on the 2nd charge not 3rd, or should prime fire as well. Damage feels OK to me on GM3. Should add 1 more charge to default so you can prime 2 packs of enemies.

I haven't gotten a legendary Ponder, Seal of the Open Mind, Winter's Wrath, or 10k Suns, (I can't comments much on those as I've only used them in freeplay and not stuck with them, outside WW and 10KSuns) I've got multiples of the others, though.

The storm feels like it relies on weapon damage way more than it should. I find myself switching to Ralners way too much. I would prefer to never need to fire a weapon as the storm, especially as they add new abilities.

Ranger

Feels great most of the time. I run the Last Argument/Recurring Vengeance build and build ultimate incredibly fast, can clear GM3 freeplay Outlaw events with ease.

Last Argument - Feels good. Very rewarding.

Recurring Vengeance - Also feels good.

Argo's Mace - Should explode regardless of whether you defeat an enemy or not. On GM3 this isn't rewarding.

Grand Opening - Can't bring myself to even try it really. Weapons you want to use have procs that do more damage.

Cold Blooded - Should do damage. I don't see a reason to run this in GM3, especially with as many elemental mobs as there are.

Tactical Onslaught - Feels redundant with Elemental Ops and Acid Slugs for not enough damage.

The Gambit - Should freeze enemies, not really a Grenade, has a really small area of effect (if any). One Ralners proc does more than the nade (without combo)

Colossus

Not enough viable builds for GM3. Volatic Dome and Best Defense are almost irreplacable in GM3. For the most part it's a melee spam fest.

Ultimate - Too short of a window to fire.

Solvent Green - Feels OK but hard to aim, difficult to choose this over Best Defense.

Rubidium Furnace - Too hit-or-miss on where it lands. If you hit an enemy with it, it should still create the wall of fire.

Titan's Hail - Neat, needs to fire more quickly as mobs can move out of the way especially on GM3.

Black Powder - Ability not useful on GM3 where mobs have higher health.

Garred's Hammer - Satisfying to hit a weak point with this, but difficult to be consistent. Best Defense is too good.

Volatic Dome - Hard to not use, it's really too good.

Best Defense - Also too good. Hard to die when using it properly, and if you get one with multiple charges (Wish I had one)

Final Judgement - Tried it once, didn't like it. Just feels weak.

Vassa's Arc - I feel like toggling this ability needs to be smoother. Sometimes I'll press Q and it won't either turn on, or off immediately.

Fist of the Crucible - I haven't much used this as I've not gotten a legendary version. Limited range seems like it wouldn't be used much over a choice like melee.

Emblem of Destruction - Getting a multikill with the ultimate is rare. I'd reduce the requirement to (3) or (4) in order to get the extra charge.

Interceptor

I've not played enough Interceptor to give real feedback, so I'm going to skip on the comments and details, maybe I'll put thoughts together on it at some point but I'm starting to burn out so I may not get there.

Overall the gameplay and combat is still enjoyable. Adding new enemy types and tuning difficulty a little more could drastically improve the player experience once a higher gear score is achieved.

I know that was a literal wall of text, so thanks for reading if you got here. Feel free to provide your comments or suggestions, but I'd like to keep it civil. Yes, Fix loot. I know, and I agree on the temporary solution of turning it up while they address the other things.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

geonetix posted:

That guy works less than me and I’m on gardening leave

Are you Paddy Lowe? Asking for a friend...

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Maybe, i even stopped watching races

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

What I’m saying is I’m not sure if Williams is doing better than anthem.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Why? Why play the dead game for 600 hours? Why make this effort post when you know drat well nobody that matters will read it? Even if they did read it do you think BioWare gives a drat about fixing this game? You could be spending time playing the good games instead of the bad games.

edit: Nice. got me.

El Scandelouse fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 14, 2019

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This is perfect.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's good news because they're not removing content this week. Be grateful.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

"Bioware does not have a vending machine. It smells, and I thank God every day I get home that I didn't get exploded."

- Anonymous Bioware Employee

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

marshmallow creep posted:

It's good news because they're not removing content this week. Be grateful.

It's only Tuesday, be patient

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If no loot drops in a game and noone is playing to complain about it, does it still suck?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

If no loot drops in a game and noone is playing to complain about it, does it still suck?

Was it ever released or was it all simply a shared hallucination thanks to local Dagon worshippers?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Both vanilla and Legion of Dawn Edition are $30 at Gamestop. Time to jump in, gamers!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roman posted:

Both vanilla and Legion of Dawn Edition are $30 at Gamestop. Time to jump in, gamers!

That's about $60 too much. Time is money.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Why buy when they're going to make it F2P anyway?

loving :laffo: at the leadership blaming the players. :bioware:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anthem going F2P and basically copying whatever Warframe is doing being the last ditch thing Bioware tries to do before being shut down is just beautiful.