Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

:rant: mode on:

Should I just not post polls anymore if we're going to do this same dance every time?

The point of posting this poll, which was laid out in the tweet I posted, was that Bernie was tied with Biden for black voters (on further analysis, he's actually in a slight lead):

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1128095158405353473

This poll is consistent with the trend we have noticed over several national polls that Bernie and Biden are basically tied for demographics, though split amongst age.

And, of course, it always the same group of posters who keep returning to the well to find various excuses for every single poll that looks good for Bernie so they can go "Actually, this isn't really that good for Bernie. It's an outlier. It's a bad pollster." Coincidentally, most of these posters have expressed their desire for a non-Bernie candidate to win at some point in this thread. Me posting polls is not pro-Bernie spin, it is trying to get a handle for the status of the race, you do not have to counter-spin every poll I post.

"Good for Bernie" here means positive in a specific way for him (in this case, demonstrating a furthering of the trend that he is doing very well with black voters, which is indeed a big plus for him considering how he did with them in 2016), not that he is a lock to win, just so we can cut off that strawman argument before it begins.

Maybe we just shouldn't post polls till after the first debate or something. Isn't anyone else finding this dance exhausting? Do y'all just treat everyone else like they started posting yesterday and have zero post history in this thread? It's such a bizarre way of communicating. I thought we all agreed that reading too much into early polling is madness, which is why I keep being careful to hedge my words and yet still keep getting pushback on every single poll even when I'm just trying to describe trends!

Instead everyone wants to argue about Chelsea Manning in the loving primary thread. And I'm the one getting 6ers for being off topic! Can we stop the madness?

Anyway I'll take a small fry with that too, thanks. *pulls around to the first window*

people are arguing about chelsea manning cause some people really really want to like buttigieg despite him being shown to be really lovely, so now they're busy covering for his myriad sins.

i'm sure brandorkp will eventually make excuses for why it was totally ok to hose the homeless of the streets and destroy their beds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

people are arguing about chelsea manning cause some people really really want to like buttigieg despite him being shown to be really lovely, so now they're busy covering for his myriad sins.

i'm sure brandorkp will eventually make excuses for why it was totally ok to hose the homeless of the streets and destroy their beds

Yea but we've left that argument a long time ago. When I was responding to Brandor, we were still talking about Buttigieg. Now we're just talking about Manning.

E: VVV Fine, ignore the comment about Manning, feel free to keep arguing because I do want to see if anyone can actually defend their weird anti-Manning takes. I was just mad cause I got off a stupid 6er for trying to debate and discuss.

Z. Autobahn, I swear to Christ, just don't @ me

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 14, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean I don't see why Manning is off-topic when one of the candidates is a dead-eyed imperialist warlover who thinks she should be thrown back in a hole and tortured, and all his supporters are justifying this with "well you'll never find enough proof to convince me Hillary Clinton didn't order Banghazi" reasoning

Condiv posted:

That did so much damage to his soul, Condiv, have you no empathy for the world's poor unfortunate souls. By which I mean Pete Buttigieg who has suffered like Christ in order to be worthy of becoming President of America

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 14, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1128046848059437056

A really good video, as penance for my dumb ranting about poll posting.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

also, again, what does it matter that she dumped the information en masse KN? neither you nor anyone else have been able to show it was harmful, just say that you think it could've been harmful. that's a really lovely standard but you antivaxxers torture enthusiasts keep going for it

I'm glad that Manning was released -- I think she had served more than sufficient time and wasn't a threat in any way. I don't think it's unreasonable she faced some jail time for leaking classified information. The treatment within jail is another issue.

What is your general approach for how leaks and leakers should be treated by the legal system? Can you think of an examples where someone should some face jail time and what's the criteria?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

KingNastidon posted:

I'm glad that Manning was released -- I think she had served more than sufficient time and wasn't a threat in any way. I don't think it's unreasonable she faced some jail time for leaking classified information. The treatment within jail is another issue.

What is your general approach for how leaks and leakers should be treated by the legal system? Can you think of an examples where someone should some face jail time and what's the criteria?

manning should've faced no (0) jail time because what she leaked was in the public interest

that you think she should've been tortured for a period for acting in the public interest speaks volumes about you KN

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While I support the goals of Martin Luther King it is just and proper that he had to spend time in jail because he did, after all, break the law - KingNastidon circa 1965

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

She should have been protected under whistleblowing laws, as all she was doing was bringing to light the massive war crimes America has done

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's always a debate over Manning being punished but for some reason all the crimes she exposed just fading into the ether as if they were committed by ghosts is never questioned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know everyone is excited for Bullochmentum today

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

moths posted:

E: She did good things and also bad things. Is there actually a thread to discuss this?

You can always create one, instead of having this discussion here! D&D doesn't have to be all megathreads all the time, you can create a smaller thread for a more narrowly focused discussion.

KingNastidon posted:

Let's not go here, this is way too off-topic for this thread. I don't think this is the place for a discussion of leaking in general. And on that note, let's keep Manningchat under control and stay focused on the primary election aspects.

Remember, Buttigieg didn't just hate Manning and her leaks - he hated that her sentence was commuted after seven years behind bars, which included several stints in solitary confinement (one of which lasted 11 months), two suicide attempts, and a two-year legal battle because the Army was refusing to let her transition. We don't necessarily have to decide the moral standing of the leaks with total accuracy to assess Buttigieg's apparent belief that Manning wasn't imprisoned and tortured enough.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Radish posted:

It's always a debate over Manning being punished but for some reason all the crimes she exposed just fading into the ether as if they were committed by ghosts is never questioned.

Because that's the part everyone agrees on? There's no dispute that the whistleblowing of crimes is good.
But that's not all she did, was it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

can this style of posting be designated as probatable?
if you have something to say then say it, this kind of "whoooo bet you'd like to know what I mean but you'll have to ask me and then wait for me to post again" bullshit is wasting everyone's time and it's incredibly loving irritating.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Every time I see Buttigieg in the top 5 I go, "him?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

Because that's the part everyone agrees on? There's no dispute that the whistleblowing of crimes is good.

did you get hired by fuckin Dateline or are you just dumb as poo poo

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I think Manning already had her day in court, and she lost and went to jail for it, right? She got out.

Why are we relitigating this trash again? Because Mayor Pete wants her thrown back in jail? Well, gently caress mayor Pete.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Just make your goddamned arguments up front, people, instead of engaging in silly "Are not"/"Are too" nonsense where each side has to have their argument painstakingly dragged out of them one sentence at a time. In-depth discussion of the effects of the Manning leaks is only barely on-topic anyway, so let's not drag it out with this stupid teasing crap.

Just going to give everyone a reminder of this post, since it's been a whopping 24 hours since I gave this warning. Remember it well, because there will be no third warning.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chilichimp posted:

Every time I see Buttigieg in the top 5 I go, "him?"

He's slightly more interesting than Beto and has thus taken his spot as Young White Man

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

I think Manning already had her day in court, and she lost and went to jail for it, right? She got out.

Why are we relitigating this trash again? Because Mayor Pete wants her thrown back in jail? Well, gently caress mayor Pete.

mayor pete wants her back in jail and people in the thread want him to be good so they have to argue how it's really ok she went to jail to feel better about themselves

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

overmind2000 posted:

He's slightly more interesting than Beto and has thus taken his spot as Young White Man
Yeah and he has been slipping in the polls anyway

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

mayor pete wants her back in jail and people in the thread want him to be good so they have to argue how it's really ok she went to jail to feel better about themselves

yea I mean I guess there's not a ton more to say since Team Boot is just going 'yea but what IF....' but I don't know why we're constantly acting like this is a bigger derail than half this thread is normally. Pete literally thinks she shouldn't have been released, he's, for some reason, a major candidate. Talking about her is more on topic than talking about literally anything related to like 15 of the people in the race who are polling at 1%. We're months away from anything but polls and bullshit like this to be available to discuss.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

yea I mean I guess there's not a ton more to say since Team Boot is just going 'yea but what IF....' but I don't know why we're constantly acting like this is a bigger derail than half this thread is normally. Pete literally thinks she shouldn't have been released, he's, for some reason, a major candidate. Talking about her is more on topic than talking about literally anything related to like 15 of the people in the race who are polling at 1%. We're months away from anything but polls and bullshit like this to be available to discuss.

Him?

I still can't believe there's a massive clamor for this rear end in a top hat. He's just some neocon progressive (lol) who can string together sentences in front of a camera. He's run a town in Indiana. Why the gently caress is anyone giving him longer than 2 seconds for a pitch?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Chilichimp posted:

Him?

I still can't believe there's a massive clamor for this rear end in a top hat. He's just some neocon progressive (lol) who can string together sentences in front of a camera. He's run a town in Indiana. Why the gently caress is anyone giving him longer than 2 seconds for a pitch?

systems thinking and data analytics is what the whitehouse needs, racism and hatred of labor be damned

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's credentialed and he's smart and he's gay and he's a Democrat in a red state and he did well in a town hall or something. Media loves all that stuff and some people take their cues from them. He's lucky his name is weird because it keeps the first pass of questions on the surface. I think he will be doing the campaign version of "wow that's a great question, what does the group think?" while dancing around a lot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Him?

There isn't, he's polling single digits, I highly doubt we see him rise up to the peak of where he was at the top of his media push (a whopping 15%? I think? Was the height of his bubble?)

Also, black voters are literally not supporting him at all, and you can not win the Democratic primary without black voters, so there's no need to worry about Pete unless he's just in this to run for Biden's VP.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did any of the illegal actions she helped expose lead to anything? Did she face greater punishment for exposing crimes than the original criminals? Those questions are integral to the soul of this country and the fact we have Democratic presidential candidates being lauded while being on the wrong side of those is extremely bad and something we should be strongly considering. It's too bad the country is coming apart at the seams and Buttigieg is concerned about whistleblowers with a sense of ethics.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I like polls. Don't hesitate to post all polls.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Chilichimp posted:

Him?

When his polling was broken down by race and income, his support is almost universally from white people that make over six figures. This is also almost universally who is represented in the news media so its not so much that there is an army of Bootlickers out there but the people that are have very large megaphones.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1117972745915121665

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Judakel posted:

I like polls. Don't hesitate to post all polls.

Here's a neat tidbit from that Emerson poll:

quote:

A majority of Democratic primary voters, 56%, indicate there is a chance they could change their mind and vote for another candidate, whereas 44% say they will definitely vote for the candidate they are currently supporting.

The majority of the Dem primary voters say they're totally willing to vote for someone else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

Exactly and they want to do the cowardly dance of not actually defending their candidate and instead focus on what Manning’s punishment should have been if not torturous. As if that’s a gotcha.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is a dumb aside but I almost wish they wouldn't ask "who WOULDN'T you vote for" because you get a lot of the cart leading the horse, there. That is to say a lowish info guy who says "not that Bernie guy" is now a lot less likely to vote Bernie down the road than before you asked.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Twinkie posted:

When his polling was broken down by race and income, his support is almost universally from white people that make over six figures. This is also almost universally who is represented in the news media so its not so much that there is an army of Bootlickers out there but the people that are have very large megaphones.

So basically, people with comfortable lives, who will live comfortable lives no matter who wins, have decided to back the “fun!” candidate with the most novel idpol cred (‘black’ and ‘woman’ are sooo played out!).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pangstrom posted:

This is a dumb aside but I almost wish they wouldn't ask "who WOULDN'T you vote for" because you get a lot of the cart leading the horse, there. That is to say a lowish info guy who says "not that Bernie guy" is now a lot less likely to vote Bernie down the road than before you asked.

That’s not dumb, that’s actually really insightful. People want to “stick to their guns” and be consistent with their past statements whether anybody is going to actually hold them accountable or not. The guy who thinks to himself “I hate Bernie” isn’t quite as sure about it as he is after he tells someone “I hate Bernie”.

I like to say that the only way to get an opponent to take your position is to convince them it was their position all along. That’s harder when they’re “on the record”.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 14, 2019

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Pete Buttigieg looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mellow Seas posted:

That’s not dumb, that’s actually really insightful. People want to “stick to their guns” and be consistent with their past statements whether anybody is going to actually hold them accountable or not. The guy who thinks to himself “I hate Bernie” isn’t quite as sure about it as he is after he tells someone “I hate Bernie”.

I like to say that the only way to get an opponent to take your position is to convince them it was their position all along. That’s harder when they’re “on the record”.
Well, arguing against myself I guess but: it's dumb in that most people don't ever talk to a pollster and only a fraction of those who do are going to be in this category.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AsInHowe posted:

Pete Buttigieg looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas.

Honestly, Trump was completely correct with Alfred E. Nueman on this one

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

kidkissinger posted:

Honestly, Trump was completely correct with Alfred E. Nueman on this one

Better as Grinch.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Mellow Seas posted:

So basically, people with comfortable lives, who will live comfortable lives no matter who wins, have decided to back the “fun!” candidate with the most novel idpol cred (‘black’ and ‘woman’ are sooo played out!).

Honestly I think it is more so that they absolutely do not give a poo poo about idpol. Butt Peteigieg is a Harvard educated white man born into a wealthy family and at the end of the day they feel most comfortable with one of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Buttigieg is idpol for highschool honor society students.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 14, 2019