Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

...I have a $100k hooptie. Goddamnit.

A hand-built British sports car has issues? Where's the gasp emoticon? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I was super nuclear mega mad yesterday when I took a shock off the front of my truck again to find out I got the wrong shocks again and I had to put the same fuckin floppy shock back on and order another fuckin set of shocks again.

$100k hooptie makes me feel a little better, sorry your pain helped my pain and also thanks

E: also you know the part in Planes, Trains and Automobiles when the car catches on fire and they just start laughing, well that part came on just about the time I figured out my shock was too big and it was perfect timing.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man Kill hour that sucks, there is a reason when I worked at Lexus people would bring Jags in still under warranty, had a guy who was a master and he had one of those Chargers maybe that had the long piece tail light that was impossible to find back then. He helped me strip down my Nova for paint back in the day. Should have never left that place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I felt/heard the clockspring in my steering wheel snap the other day.

Cruise control and airbags are over-rated anyways :shrug:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Pretty sure my rotors are warped, hooray

It's mechanical fuckup day here in the land of automotive insanity it seems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I just bought that TV for $515. SHould be here tomorrow!

The TCL 617 (or is it 615? - one of those is Best Buy's exclusive model number but same TV)? Seems like a heck of a value. There are complaints of the panel quality being something of a roulette, but TCL has been making any bad ones right. I'm at a point where I won't even consider a smart TV with anything but Fire or Roku. The proprietary OSes can suck it. Not that it's terribly critical in my case - I have an Xbox One, and Xbox 360, and an PS3 all connected to where that TV would be.

The Prong Song posted:

Oh, hey, thanks for pointing that out. I've dealt with some higher-end printers through my workplace and have been looking for something to use at home, that looks like it fits the bill. Backed.

No prob. I figured someone might find it interesting - 's why I posted.
I figure it should bypass a lot of the "babby's first 3D printer" issues for me.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Darchangel posted:

...No prob. I figured someone might find it interesting - 's why I posted.
I figure it should bypass a lot of the "babby's first 3D printer" issues for me.

I have a coworker who is super-into 3D printing. He prints up little toys and poo poo all the time, does statues/plaques/whatever when people leave the office or for our quarterly all-hands competitions, etc. And he's got (I forget) 3 or 4, and at any given time he's either got 1 or none operational. He's constantly replacing motors or print heads or has a problem with the print bed or something-or-other. It's worse than hand-built British sports cars. :regd08:

I like that it has high positional accuracy, I like that it can print fine filament, I like that it has interchangeable tool heads for laser, 2-axis CnC. Kind of feels like the first step towards the second-gen of home manufacturing devices.

EDIT: vvv did you put it on a flatbed... to avoid having to drive it any more miles over the specified oil change interval?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 13, 2019

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just put my M3 on a flatbed down to the mechanic for regular servicing (nothing is wrong with it but it is 500 miles overdue for an oil change). Pray for my wallet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

E: also you know the part in Planes, Trains and Automobiles when the car catches on fire and they just start laughing, well that part came on just about the time I figured out my shock was too big and it was perfect timing.

Oddly enough that was on at my mom's house last night. I've still never sat and watched the whole thing all the way through, but holy poo poo, Steve Martin and John Candy were just loving gifted in that movie.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

One of our security cameras caught a perfect angle of the accident at work this morning and I got to see it. :haw:

There's a major intersection about 50 yards from our front drive at the dealership, but there isn't a light or stop signs for our dealership, so if you're coming from the west you can just turn right and you're there, but if you're coming from the East you have to turn left into the median and then cross two lanes of traffic that doesn't stop. The light was red at the nearby intersection and traffic was backed up to our drive (which is does when the lights are red, because it's a major road and the intersection is so close.) Once traffic started moving again, the people that were stopped in the two lanes just before where our drive is KIIIIIINDA let her cross, but she also kiiinddaa just muscled her way past them before they could start accelerating, and then some jackass comes tearing rear end 40MPH down the shoulder/emergency lane and fuckin' smokes the poo poo out of her. He hit her hard enough in her right rear quarter with his tiny little (newer, obviously) Dart to make her (also new) RAV4 spin a full 360 degrees and slid into the lot on its side.

So she literally arrived at work, on time, in a smoking, scraping pile of metal, glass and debris. :black101:
And Dart guy is probably gonna get a massive ticket on top of his totaled car.

She's fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I got a 911 text from a friend/neighbor this afternoon. She was backing her Audi S5 convertible out of the neighbor's driveway and caught the edge of the curb with the front bumper. Pulled that sumbitch right off.

I got there and 3/4 of the bumper cover was displaced and dragging on the ground.

I was able to get everything to line back up and pop back in, except for the area just outboard of the driver's headlight. There, the clips are held on with like 1/16" thick strip of plastic and that peeled right away. The only way to get it to not stick out would be a) new bumper cover, or b) tactical zip ties. I'd go the zip tie route, but left the decision up to them. I told them that I be it's a 4 figure repair if they replace the bumper cover. :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T-Square posted:

One of our security cameras caught a perfect angle of the accident at work this morning and I got to see it. :haw:

There's a major intersection about 50 yards from our front drive at the dealership, but there isn't a light or stop signs for our dealership, so if you're coming from the west you can just turn right and you're there, but if you're coming from the East you have to turn left into the median and then cross two lanes of traffic that doesn't stop. The light was red at the nearby intersection and traffic was backed up to our drive (which is does when the lights are red, because it's a major road and the intersection is so close.) Once traffic started moving again, the people that were stopped in the two lanes just before where our drive is KIIIIIINDA let her cross, but she also kiiinddaa just muscled her way past them before they could start accelerating, and then some jackass comes tearing rear end 40MPH down the shoulder/emergency lane and fuckin' smokes the poo poo out of her. He hit her hard enough in her right rear quarter with his tiny little (newer, obviously) Dart to make her (also new) RAV4 spin a full 360 degrees and slid into the lot on its side.

So she literally arrived at work, on time, in a smoking, scraping pile of metal, glass and debris. :black101:

She's fine.

I've seen similar to this happen several times in front of the stereo shop I used to work at, and it wasn't even someone using the should illegally. See, there's a side street just before the light, and a right turn lane just for that street right there. People leave a gap, folks try to cross into our parking lot, and suddenly there's a poor guy who wasn't even speeding about to clock you.
My buddy has a name for that space left by traffic for left turners: "suicide gap."

Glad she's OK.

I should also mention that I've been the poor guy trundling along when someone shoots the suicide gap, in a different spot, long before I worked for the stereo shop.
That resulted in this:

I'd had the car 3 weeks at the time. To the day!
I spun the lady's Olds 98 around 180 degrees. Whacked her right between the passenger doors.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 13, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I guess I'm the lucky one because the dealership that broke my radiator decided to fix it with no arguing whatsoever. I was prepared for a fight that never happened :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oddly enough that was on at my mom's house last night. I've still never sat and watched the whole thing all the way through, but holy poo poo, Steve Martin and John Candy were just loving gifted in that movie.

Haha yea, it was on the Escape channel and same here. I've seen probably the whole movie in parts but never all the way through until then and it is a great movie.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Add one to the pile

Got notified that the CR-V was ready for pickup, and they were open until 6. Cool. Get there, manage to get to the holding area before I talk to the cashier... And the hood has not been resprayed. Maybe the sides were blended to match the fenders, but not the leading edge. Now, I know the car is 7 years old so there were probably a couple rock chips, but there's more than I remember, as well as some very fresh scratches like from a deer rolling across the front.

Of course the body shop manager was gone for the day, so I'll talk to him tomorrow. Fortunately for us we have backup vehicles so we can afford the time to stall and talk to our insurance about it. :)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I guess I'm the lucky one because the dealership that broke my radiator decided to fix it with no arguing whatsoever. I was prepared for a fight that never happened :v:

I meant to ask about this, glad it worked out!

Darchangel posted:

My buddy has a name for that space left by traffic for left turners: "suicide gap."

That's a perfect name for it. And people do this all of the time for me when I come from the same direction she did and I just wave them forward because I can't see what's beyond them and it spooks me. No bueno!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

I felt/heard the clockspring in my steering wheel snap the other day.

Cruise control and airbags are over-rated anyways :shrug:

Yeah, but you need the horn. How will the offending driver know you are about to shoot them if you don't give them a head's up with the horn?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

I saw that in the theater with my dad when I was about 13 and we loving laughed so loving hard at the loving car rental scene, and our house was not a 'swearing-allowed' type place. I'll always remember having that time spent with him, he's been gone 5 years in about a month.

What a great movie. Going to watch it later tonight.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

KillHour posted:

gently caress me.

I called the dealership again and asked when the hell I could get my car in to be looked at. After complaining that it's a giant paperweight, they agreed to get it in today. I brought it in and I explained how the steering wheel is off center and I can hear some creaking in the rear driver's side well when I fully stop or just get going and how the tires are mismatched across the axle. Response from the tech who was writing this all down was "sounds like a bad speed sensor." What. The. gently caress.

Oh, and literally on the way there I get a check engine light with an "emissions failure" message.

Also when I bought it, I had it detailed and an opticoat ceramic coating put on and it's already COVERED in micro scratches.

I have a $100k hooptie. Goddamnit.

AM and Range rover use similar can bus systems am I correct? I had a 15 Range Rover come in today with flashing tpms sensor light (it doesnt use wheel sensors) , a bunch of traction poo poo pass key codes as well as some other body control stuff. It only had like 40k on it. Seamed to all stem to the Steering wheel module. I woul
d expect that it needs a software update or flash so dont freak out just yet.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 14, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Darchangel posted:

Sounds like you work in a fun place.

Sorta relevant to TV chat, I've been considering replacing my 57" Mitsubishi DLP rear-projection (which works fin, but...) with one of the TCL 6-series 55" Roku 4K TVs. They keep going on sale for $500, or even $400 for a refurb. Heck even one of the 5-series TVs would probably be fine for me.
Then this Kickstarter came up, and I bought a 3D printer/laser/CNC mill instead. I sure hope it's all it's claimed, as I'm sure the other 2300 backers do, as well. Impressive that the not only surpassed the goal by an order of magnitude, but doubled it as well. The closed-loop feedback positioning system is what sold me.

Huh, I've been wanting a 3D printer for a LOOOOOONG time.
Threw down some money for this one, here's hoping we get the payoff!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

*clicks refill medication on clinic patient portal*
*gets text message a few minutes later saying I have an appointment scheduled for Monday*
Huh, okay, I guess maybe because it's a controlled substance. My old doctor only wanted to see me every 6 months for it, but I have a few questions for him about my last round of bloodwork anyway.

Get there today.
Dr: What's up STR?
Me: Uh, I clicked refill, got a text a few minutes later saying I had an appointment scheduled, so here I am. I figured it was because it was a controlled substance.
Dr: Uh...... yeah, I sent that to the pharmacy this morning. Weird. We do have to see you at least every 3 months because it's a controlled substance, but it hasn't quite been 3 months since we last saw you.
Me: :iiam:
Dr: :iiam:

Dr: Welp I guess we don't need to do a face to face for the next refill so long as you refill before August 13th!

I'm so glad my PCP copay is only $1 (and they waive it, it costs more for them to collect it vs just eating it), but I'm sure they're going to bill my insurance something silly like $300 for what was essentially a 20 minute (from getting out of the car to exiting the parking lot) visit.

Before the dr came in, the nurse told me it's probably because the clinic has a policy of a face to face every 3 months for controlled substances, but said the DEA had cut down from every 6 months to 3 as well (not sure about that.. GF is on a schedule 2 medication, and she sees her dr every 6 months... mine's schedule 4, basically the lowest class of controlled substances).

Medical goons: I did ask him something about my bloodwork - my sodium was on the low side on my last round. He said it was likely dehydration when they drew blood, but it was so close to normal that he wasn't concerned. I'm kinda curious if it's because I don't use much salt when I cook (don't eat out often, don't eat much junk food, etc.. almost all my own home cooking), or if blood sodium is completely unrelated.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 14, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My meds tend to induce low sodium as a side effect, but so far chowing down on pickles and slurping ramen has kept me above the low range.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

chowing down on pickles and slurping ramen

This sounds far dirtier than it should.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:cawg:

I... got nothin on that. Explains why I've been craving pickles (and "pickles") so much more than usual though :v:

I don't think any of my meds tend to cause that (dr claims they don't anyway, but I'm on enough that I rattle if you shake me :corsair:), but I'm on... uh... I think 6 rx meds now? 2 Wilford Brimley meds, 2 for blood pressure, 1 for anxiety, 1 for allergies.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 14, 2019

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KillHour posted:

gently caress me.

I called the dealership again and asked when the hell I could get my car in to be looked at. After complaining that it's a giant paperweight, they agreed to get it in today. I brought it in and I explained how the steering wheel is off center and I can hear some creaking in the rear driver's side well when I fully stop or just get going and how the tires are mismatched across the axle. Response from the tech who was writing this all down was "sounds like a bad speed sensor." What. The. gently caress.

Oh, and literally on the way there I get a check engine light with an "emissions failure" message.

Also when I bought it, I had it detailed and an opticoat ceramic coating put on and it's already COVERED in micro scratches.

I have a $100k hooptie. Goddamnit.

gently caress that sucks.
Also if it's the dealer that is washing your car despite you telling them not to (which is mandatory if you've have had your car corrected), they should be paying to fix it. To get rid of the micro scratches it's basically a whole correction and reapplication of the coating again.
If anyone reads this and is on the fence about getting a coating: Basically only get coatings if you either don't care about scratches and only want the easy to wash properties OR can wash it properly with the right tools and products every time it needs it. Most people get a "DO NOT WASH" sign that they hang in the car when going to dealers. Dealers are stupid and will wash anyway sometimes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd be getting my cash back on that Aston tbh and buying something less poo poo like a GTR and I don't even like GTRs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
A) Avengers : Endgame is every bit as good as it's cracked up to be

B) Detective Pikachu is uhhh..... not good. Ryan Reynolds absolutly saves the movie tho so it's kinda worth seeing?

Now for John Wick 3 this weekend

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

B) Detective Pikachu is uhhh..... not good. Ryan Reynolds absolutly saves the movie tho so it's kinda worth seeing?

Pikachu was weirdly not as cute as it should've been, right? Pikachu himself is adorable and the Bulbasaur crew equally so but I dunno, the story takes place in a city where pokemon are everywhere and I feel like I didn't get to see enough. Instead we get this jankily written story about a character that could be great (a loving Pikachu detective??) only for them to basically ruin the entire premise (which you saw coming from the start). Also a lot of the creatures looked like poo poo, that ghost pokemon looked loving terrible in terms of design... I did appreciate the multiple fingering jokes though.

I get to see Wick 3 tomorrow with my usual Wick viewing crew. :rms:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got home from work last night at about 5. Laid down on the couch. The next time I got up was at 7:30 to crawl into bed and then 30 minutes ago to wake up for the day.

My sore back woke me up tons, so not a deep sleep by any means, but god drat I needed that. I literally cannot remember the last time I did that... maybe once before in my adult life.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Game of Thrones, bad? Why I never.

I haven't seen any of season 8, but hoo boy do I know the entire plot from being bombarded by it on every social media platform.

Also can confirm being on a medicine that raises potassium, meaning I have to chow down on sodium to keep it in check (tl;dr it's all about the sodium:potassium ratio).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I stopped watching after the first season of GoT. Pretty meh and then they killed off Sean Bean. I'm not a huge fantasy fan (anymore) though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Sean Beans whole shtick is getting killed off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Got home from work last night at about 5. Laid down on the couch. The next time I got up was at 7:30 to crawl into bed and then 30 minutes ago to wake up for the day.

My sore back woke me up tons, so not a deep sleep by any means, but god drat I needed that. I literally cannot remember the last time I did that... maybe once before in my adult life.

as far as I can tell like 95% of american adults are sleep deprived

i feel it because every time i get on a plane for work (weekly) and i'm not doing anything around taxi and takeoff, i fall asleep

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

T-Square posted:

She's fine.
Glad she's ok.

I hate drivers that abuse turn and suicide lanes. Only accident I've ever been in was me turning left out of a lot past two lanes of backed up and letting me go traffic only to clip an rear end in a top hat using the suicide lane to bypass all of that for a left turn a quarter mile up the road at 40mph.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm hoping 3 is better than 2.

Tickets in hand for Friday.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 14, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Sean Beans whole shtick is getting killed off

Sean Bean was the first special target of Hitman 2. The joke was he keeps coming back after being assassinated.

https://youtu.be/VKWCyQJHh6c

One of the ways you can kill him is stabbing him through the eye with a pen.

A year later, they brought him back with a patch over his eye.

MrOnBicycle posted:

gently caress that sucks.
Also if it's the dealer that is washing your car despite you telling them not to (which is mandatory if you've have had your car corrected), they should be paying to fix it. To get rid of the micro scratches it's basically a whole correction and reapplication of the coating again.
If anyone reads this and is on the fence about getting a coating: Basically only get coatings if you either don't care about scratches and only want the easy to wash properties OR can wash it properly with the right tools and products every time it needs it. Most people get a "DO NOT WASH" sign that they hang in the car when going to dealers. Dealers are stupid and will wash anyway sometimes.

The dealer was the place where it was put on. It has a 5 year warranty so I'm just going to make them redo it. Probably after I get an actual paint protection film put on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I saw a custom license plate that made me :lol: yesterday. It was a newer civic with no rear bumper cover and the plate was NOBMPR. Guess his friends made fun of him enough about it to pay a little more money to make it official, but not actually replace it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
So I had a 4.0 going into this final semester.

The class I put work into for the first half, but pulled back to bare minimum after he didn't grade anything? A.

The class I feel like I understood better than any class I've taken so far, and enjoyed better as well, and worked my rear end off in? B.

I emailed him and turns out I got a 65 on the final. A SIXTY FIVE. On the final I walked out of with a poo poo eating grin. This is the same guy that randomly gave me a 55 on a homework I felt I deserved a 90 on, and through sheer brute force polite annoyance we settled on a 75. Looks like we're doing the same with the final exam.

I'm sorry if this sounds like humble bragging, but I've been maintaining a 4.0 for 5 years and apparently I hosed it up on the very LAST thing I had to do to lock it in. I feel like I completely understood the exam material, and I studied my rear end off for it, so I have no idea where this 65 came from. I'm just completely irked by the entire thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm hoping 3 is better than 2.

Tickets in hand for Friday.

It's gonna be even more of the same my guy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's gonna be even more of the same my guy.
Can't do worse than yet another nightclub scene and taking suppressed pot shots in a train station without anybody noticing. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
According to bmi charts which I don't usually care about I am enjoying the fact that technically I'm not obese anymore, merely overweight. Haven't been this low since maybe middle or early high school? I don't know.

Life is good. Have gf, she likes my loud car and general awkwardness. Lost over 200 pounds herself so we both have shared loose skin trauma.

Pickle chat? I could eat an entire jar of pickles. I would eat nothing but pickles if the salt intake wouldn't kill me. Baby dills are my jam oh YEAH.

ilkhan posted:

Can't do worse than yet another nightclub scene and taking suppressed pot shots in a train station without anybody noticing. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.
This is my main complaint with the movie. Stop walking for literally one second so you have a good shot. Who cares if some civilian sees you aim your gun or whatever ugh.