Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Agreed, it's better

:wrong:

Spoiler to both: Picard has a fundamental vulnerability that Sheridan never had, and there is character development for the torturer, as well. In the end, when Picard's free, we find out what we could have suspected, that he was about to crack; Sheridan is built up as too perfect to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I prefer turn based intersections.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The ony way to improve Intersections would be if Patrick McGoohan had been available to play the interrogator (as I think was the original plan)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Spoiler to both: Picard has a fundamental vulnerability that Sheridan never had, and there is character development for the torturer, as well. In the end, when Picard's free, we find out what we could have suspected, that he was about to crack; Sheridan is built up as too perfect to do that.

Spoiler response (Intersections and ST:TNG Chain of Command): Sheridan has arguably cracked already in the following episode. While Picard says he could see a fifth light, Sheridan is hallucinating having escaped from imprisonment and being back on B5 having a conversation with Franklin. And the interrogator says he's close to giving them what they want.

Look at the expression on Sheridan's face during the breakout when he kills a guard and tell me he's not unstable. The show does gloss over his recovery after that, although it could be argued that his resolution to go with the gambit he goes with is strengthened by the experience. Then again, Picard is back to normal in his next episode, too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actual torturers don't undergo character development. They're completely emotionally detached from the process - like in Intersections. Telling the prisoner a story from your childhood where you showed weakness? What is this, amateur hour?

It's stuff like that that make me prefer Intersections. It is genuinely harrowing at quite how hopeless the situation is, and as it occupies the entire episode...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the big lies of fascism is that it can be all cool and detached while instituting its brutality.

I think both episodes are very notable in that it was common knowledge even back then that torture is only good for forcing false confessions, and somehow between then and now so much pop culture started just accepting the idea of torture as a way to get people to tell the truth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the big lies of fascism is that it can be all cool and detached while instituting its brutality.

I think both episodes are very notable in that it was common knowledge even back then that torture is only good for forcing false confessions, and somehow between then and now so much pop culture started just accepting the idea of torture as a way to get people to tell the truth.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Actual torturers don't undergo character development. They're completely emotionally detached from the process - like in Intersections. Telling the prisoner a story from your childhood where you showed weakness? What is this, amateur hour?
Not in the sense that the torturer changes. In the sense that we learn more about what motivates him, and really, more about Cardassian society.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Just finished Season 4.

Fantastic show so far, can see that they thought this was going to be the last season because how the hell do you continue from that.

I think I'm going to watch The Beginning and start Season 5 during the weekend.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Adnor posted:

Just finished Season 4.

Fantastic show so far, can see that they thought this was going to be the last season because how the hell do you continue from that.

I think I'm going to watch The Beginning and start Season 5 during the weekend.

IIRC, they originally planned for it to go 5 seasons, but there was some question about that so they tried to wrap up the big stuff at the end of season 4. But then they got a surprise final season 5 so stuff gets a little dragged out in the wrap up. Still good though. Glad you like it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Every season, they thought "maybe we won't get renewed". Season 4, they'd gotten the story to a place that it could be concluded ... and the worry had changed from their own renewal to "is our network even going to be here next year?" (answer: no.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. Five season plan, show was cancelled at four, then it got picked up for a final season at the last minute. What would've been the early part of season 5 was compressed into 4, then 5 starts off with some new material before going on to the originally planned back half or so.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I can't recall where I saw this, but allegedly Intersections in Real Time was supposed to be the S4 finale, and the assault on Earth take up a big chunk of early S5.

Talk about a cliffhanger.

Edit: Here we go. http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=9182

jms posted:

(blocked) asks:
> it sounded good <g> Which ep would have been?

Well...I don't usually comment on this, but...if I had known
*with absolute certainty* that there would be a season 5, then season 4
would have ended with 418, "Intersections in Real Time." So you only
pull 4 episodes forward, really. You'll understand when you see it.

jms

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 17, 2019

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Which worked out pretty great because the show went on hiatus after that episode, so it was functionally the season finale anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
One of the things I think is a shame about the compressed Season 4 is the way-too-abrupt change of the dynamic between Londo and G'kar. It should have taken way longer for them to transition from enemies to enemies of the same enemy to sharing jokes with each other.

More generally, unlike previous seasons where I feel like it wouldn't be impossible for someone to jump in at pretty much any episode and then catch up on background in reruns, S4 was very tight. It's the most Golden Age of TV season of a show that was in so many ways its progenitor.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One of the things I think is a shame about the compressed Season 4 is the way-too-abrupt change of the dynamic between Londo and G'kar. It should have taken way longer for them to transition from enemies to enemies of the same enemy to sharing jokes with each other.

I think the idea was for The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari to happen near the end of S4. By the time they had the breathing room to show the breakthrough in the relationship, it was already in effect onscreen.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

More generally, unlike previous seasons where I feel like it wouldn't be impossible for someone to jump in at pretty much any episode and then catch up on background in reruns, S4 was very tight. It's the most Golden Age of TV season of a show that was in so many ways its progenitor.

I'm willing to let the "...not on the same page..." B-plot do a lot of the heavy lifting there. The initial steps happened on-screen.

S5's interminable promos on TNT tended to repeat a line about our heros winning the war, but can they "win the peace," which is a nice way to look at S5. Sheridan was a great war-leader, but can he meet the challenges of leading people in peacetime?

I also find myself being more and more forgiving of it as a final season as more and more shows arrive at unsatisfying final seasons that don't take any time to breathe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do you have any allergies or illnesses I should be aware of ? Are you currently taking any medication ? Have you had any trouble with your heart ?

Intersections would have been the greatest season-finale cliffhanger of all time. it's still one of my favorite hours of television.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Everything we know is a lie...
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1135587777477668866

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seaQuest DSV of all shows managed to get a Bluray release and I can't imagine the profit projections from that were any better than B5's would be, if that really is the case.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If JMS is correct, there's no technical/profit problem, it's that there's at least one executive at WB with a specific vendetta against Babylon 5 and the other shows from PTEN who blocks any attempt to do anything with them. Until that's gone there's zero hope of any sort of higher quality releases or novels or anything to do with the property. JMS only owns the rights to do a theatrical release movie, which has never gotten anywhere.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Although, to be fair, there's a couple of things going on with B5 that weren't factors with seaQuest:

- seaQuest's CGI was rendered at a higher resolution - not at what is considered "high resolution" these days, but better than 480 lines - so blowing it up isn't quite as jarring. Also much of the CGI was underwater shots where low light helped to obscure the limitations of the old models and textures.

- seaQuest was never filmed for widescreen and never had a widescreen release. I could see a 4:3 release of B5 being seen by some as a step backward, and I could also see doing the same zoom-and-crop technique as was done for the DVDs as a waste. (Personally, given that WB is almost certainly not going to spend the money to re-do the CGI - even just to throw the assets into Lightwave and set the output resolution to 1080p - I'd take 4:3 as an acceptable compromise.)

But that said I do still suspect there's still a grudge in play.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Got to meet Claudia Christian over the weekend at Denver Pop Culture Con. She is a very nice person to talk to.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I got linked to this article that seems like a pretty fair take on Babylon 5. Calls it the greatest, most terrible sci-fi series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rings pretty true to me. I particularly like this criticism of Star Trek.

Jennifer Giesbrecht posted:

We all know that the Federation is a glorious Fully Automated Luxury Space Communism paradise, right? I mean, it is—there’s nothing else it could be, but no writer has ever told us this directly. Starfleet Officers are awfully self righteous about a way of life that the franchise seems averse to actual spelling out in explicit terms. And if you don’t say something out loud, it turns out you don’t actually have a whole lot to say about it in the end after all.

There's a lot of things that Babylon 5 tries and kinda fails at doing, but I can never really hold its failures against it, because it's not like anybody else was trying it. Even if you don't finish the race, you'll always be in first place if you're the only driver.

Of course, part of that is the whole thing with genre fiction where trying to do things more elaborate or abstract than other fiction forces works to do things that seem otherwise stilted or shallow when judged by the standards of "normal" drama.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I got linked to this article that seems like a pretty fair take on Babylon 5. Calls it the greatest, most terrible sci-fi series.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Only qualm was the "capital F-fantasy" bit, which I think took some liberties.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Habibi posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Only qualm was the "capital F-fantasy" bit, which I think took some liberties.

It was good. I objected more to misspelling Richard Bigg's name as "Briggs," than the science fantasy distinction, which was really driven by the author's belief that the show was both depicting the world we live in and yet simplifying or denying it.

It did make me realize that the whole B5 series could be compared to the Millennium Falcon: she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

May I please have a good Babylon 5 video game that is next-gen?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

There's enough factual errors about the show that the analysis is kind of thrown off, but enough of it is fundamentally right that it rings true.

So all in all the piece is itself a metaphor for the show.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

May I please have a good Babylon 5 video game that is next-gen?

poo poo, I can take JMS barfing out an RPG Maker game at this point.

There was that one Sierra tried making but I think Sierra was folding at that point and thus the game was never made. I think it was called Into the Fire or something like that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Honestly B5 might make for a mapgame I'd actually play, or a good space RTS, or an old school space-fighter game.

Or hell, an RPG might be good.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I played the hell out of the board game in college. Still have it, although I'm not sure it holds up. Very fiddly and late 90s/early 2000s.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Airspace posted:

poo poo, I can take JMS barfing out an RPG Maker game at this point.

There was that one Sierra tried making but I think Sierra was folding at that point and thus the game was never made. I think it was called Into the Fire or something like that.

The E3 demo of Into the Fire got leaked to the Internet a few years ago. It looks like it might've been an actually decent sci-fi flight game had it not been canned.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Stellaris is probably the closest we will ever get since the devs are unapologetic B5 fans. There are advanced “fallen empires” like the Vorlons and Shadows and with the right expansions, you can get War in Heaven events where they wake up and try to take the younger races into the fight.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Honestly B5 might make for a mapgame I'd actually play, or a good space RTS, or an old school space-fighter game.

:yeah:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I think a paradox-style mapgame would really go against the spirit of the show, seeing as how the show's pretty firm on how bad opportunistic expansion is, and opportunistic expansion is the whole point of mapgames.

A spacefighter game like freespace would fit pretty well into things, or maybe a strategy game like Homeworld, but a whole zoomed-out perspective might really miss out on the tone of the series. Some kind of point and click adventure game might be neat, a detective story tracking down a mystery in the station while weaving through political intrigue. Only problem is, all three of those genres are mostly dead right now.

The real temptation would be to shoehorn the setting into a currently-popular genre like a third person cover shooter, which would take a fair amount of rewriting. Maybe give the player some direct control over some important political decisions in the setting. Throw in some semi-optional sex scenes too, those sell like hotcakes...and I've just pitched Mass Effect.

Either way, I'd sure love more things with interstellar politics.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's enough factual errors about the show that the analysis is kind of thrown off, but enough of it is fundamentally right that it rings true.

So all in all the piece is itself a metaphor for the show.

What in particular was wrong? Nothing stood out to me.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mass Effect.

I don't think it's a stretch to say the franchise was heavily influenced in the first place. There were definitely moments that I felt like 'this is the closest I'm gonna get to playing a pew-pew B5 RPG.'

I will say that I wished that feeling had extended into 3. After playing through that game, I immediately went onto youtube to watch the president's address from In the Beginning and just kept asking myself why they couldn't have just gone for a straight rip-off with not-so-slight modifications-- like Earth just getting straight-up annihilated instead of, at least in ME3, being the focal point of the galaxy for no discernible reason.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aside from Mass Effect the other avenue that springs to mind would be a Telltale adventure game, but uh, whoops.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

John Murdoch posted:

Aside from Mass Effect the other avenue that springs to mind would be a Telltale adventure game, but uh, whoops.

I'd rather have a game where you had actual power to change the narrative, not just a meaningless "G'Kar will remember this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The E3 demo of Into the Fire got leaked to the Internet a few years ago. It looks like it might've been an actually decent sci-fi flight game had it not been canned.

Part of the soundtrack got released too, and it whips rear end https://youtu.be/2hAtD3zqJMU