Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Google Play Music backup thing for your own music getting the heave-hoe? I use it as cloud backup for my music on the main PC but if it's getting stiffed I need to look at alternative backup options.

https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-music-upload-google-play-music/

Eventually, yes. Google confined they'll one day move that feature to YouTube Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to keep Chrome in a work profile on a given version but update it outside the work profile? Our internal employee apps use some Citrix framework that hasn't yet been patched to work with the most recent version of Chrome.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some folks on reddit who have been unhappy with the performance of their Pixel 3 have reported improvements after deactivating digital wellbeing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bn844i/just_turned_off_digital_wellbeing_app_logging/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Incessant Excess posted:

Some folks on reddit who have been unhappy with the performance of their Pixel 3 have reported improvements after deactivating digital wellbeing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bn844i/just_turned_off_digital_wellbeing_app_logging/

This might be a placebo effect but it definitely feels much better after this, its definitely keeping more apps in memory for longer.

Edit: Yup, placebo, spoke too soon, kill me.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-music-upload-google-play-music/

Eventually, yes. Google confined they'll one day move that feature to YouTube Music.
The likelihood they'll shut down Google Music before that feature is on YouTube Music approaches 100%.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The likelihood they'll shut down Google Music before that feature is on YouTube Music approaches 100%.
Unless they kill the new version of YouTube Music and go back to Play Music once again.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm still confused why they have both Play Music and YouTube Music

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm still confused why they have both Play Music and YouTube Music
Because Google's bonus structure incentivizes people to make new products instead of improving existing ones.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some combination of "to give users time to move to YouTube Music" and "because Google is incredibly dysfunctional."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google play music is really good. I'm not looking forward to moving to youtube music.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Switching to a Galaxy from an iPhone leads to problems figuring out where what should be obvious things are.

When I get a message through the messages app, the screen lights up so I can see the notification. When I get a message in Signal, it does not. How do I change the latter's behavior to the former?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Boxman posted:

Switching to a Galaxy from an iPhone leads to problems figuring out where what should be obvious things are.

When I get a message through the messages app, the screen lights up so I can see the notification. When I get a message in Signal, it does not. How do I change the latter's behavior to the former?

It should be pretty obvious. Settings - Notifications - App and make sure “Lock Screen” is toggled on.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I believe you, but why is it ok to say this about refresh rates, but mentioning audio quality gets you mocked? What's the difference?

Because current tech is still in the range where higher refresh rates than are common are still perceiveable by some people. On the audio side, however, we've been at the equivalent of a referesh rate well beyond the threshold of even the most senstive eyes since the release of the CD. No one can hear frequencies higher than 24kHz, (what sample rates >48kHz get you) and being able to reproduce sounds over 100dB with zero quantization noise (what bit depths beyond 16 get you) is a completely useless thing outside of mixing.

It's as if 6,000hz displays were the standard and there were people who claimed that 18,000hz is just so much smoother, you're blind if you can't tell the difference.

Oh and they also claim that 18,000hz content has way better brightness, color, and contrast even though those things have nothing to do with refresh rate.

Edit: vvvv I don't know for sure, but I would think that any effect that higher frequency sounds have on sounds in the audible range would be picked up when you record the sounds in the audible range. vvvv

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 12, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
One thing I've always wondered about audio is if frequencies we can't hear still interact with frequencies we CAN hear and affect their sound.

Like, do the sound waves interact with each other such that removal of the high frequencies we can't hear for compression purposes causes a perceivable change in the frequencies we CAN hear because the other waves aren't present like they would be if you heard the instrument live.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Annath posted:

One thing I've always wondered about audio is if frequencies we can't hear still interact with frequencies we CAN hear and affect their sound.

Like, do the sound waves interact with each other such that removal of the high frequencies we can't hear for compression purposes causes a perceivable change in the frequencies we CAN hear because the other waves aren't present like they would be if you heard the instrument live.
Not in your ears, but if you play back high sampling rate audio the high frequencies you can't hear can cause speaker distortion that negatively affects sounds you can hear.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RZA Encryption posted:

Google play music is really good. I'm not looking forward to moving to youtube music.

I switched some months ago from Google to Amazon's music service and it's great. It's $2 cheaper a month assuming you have Prime (and even cheaper if you only stream to Echo devices) and has the same catalog of music as far as I can tell. Amazon lets you upload your own files and play them too. And on Android it can stream to both Chromecasts and Echo devices--although god help you if you have Chromecast audios because Google pulled the plug on those (gently caress you Google). The $20 Echo input is a way better Chromecast audio though in my experience--wifi setup is easier, voice control that works great, and the streaming just works.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I thought Amazon removed the ability to upload your music?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/amazon-music-ends-mp3-upload-support-will-end-music-storage-service-in-2019/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh weird, I guess I got grandfathered in--years ago I uploaded a bunch of stuff to Amazon and it's still there today.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
can anyone suggest an app that will let me turn a directory on the main storage into just a passthrough link to the corresponding directory on my SD card, or at least just move everything from the former to the latter as a scheduled task or equivalent thereof? It seems Google thinks nobody would want to do that so the options in the os are quite limited, I can pretty much only set the camera to use the SD card which is the one app I DON'T want to do that by default.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I switched some months ago from Google to Amazon's music service and it's great. It's $2 cheaper a month assuming you have Prime (and even cheaper if you only stream to Echo devices) and has the same catalog of music as far as I can tell. Amazon lets you upload your own files and play them too. And on Android it can stream to both Chromecasts and Echo devices--although god help you if you have Chromecast audios because Google pulled the plug on those (gently caress you Google). The $20 Echo input is a way better Chromecast audio though in my experience--wifi setup is easier, voice control that works great, and the streaming just works.

Incompatible with Google Assistant and thus unable to use search in Android Auto is a pretty big drawback.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mister Facetious posted:

They don't have quantifiable numbers for "wider soundstage", "warmer sound", "directionality", etc.
The industry uses qualitative claims with absolutely no standard for measuring or detecting them.

Refresh rate is much more binary; you have a number of frames the display is rendering per second. You either notice it or you don't compared to a different rate of refresh.

I basically said this but with different words and then somebody got reeeeeeaaaal defensive because I pointed out that you can actually measure Hz over "Sounds Good placebo units" and that there is an objective difference to a lot of people. But nah, >60hz panels are snake oil and if you can see the difference in a 90hz panel and a 60hz panel, I suppose it's because your cock is firmly grasped. I have learned my lesson not to reply to any posts beyond an arbitrary threshold of "conversation being over" I guess :laffo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Same, It works well, streams well, plays well, and YouTube Music is, less good and has a smaller selection then the other so... Why force the change?

I lived through the Zune Music -> Xbox Music -> Groove Music -> Just use Spotify because we suck at this, debacle on the Microsoft side. Google pulling the same poo poo would be pretty Microsoft/Google of them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

Same, It works well, streams well, plays well, and YouTube Music is, less good and has a smaller selection then the other so... Why force the change?

I lived through the Zune Music -> Xbox Music -> Groove Music -> Just use Spotify because we suck at this, debacle on the Microsoft side. Google pulling the same poo poo would be pretty Microsoft/Google of them.

Google has been Microsoft for a while now, for both better and worse. We as users deserve what we get at this point.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I basically said this but with different words and then somebody got reeeeeeaaaal defensive because I pointed out that you can actually measure Hz over "Sounds Good placebo units" and that there is an objective difference to a lot of people. But nah, >60hz panels are snake oil and if you can see the difference in a 90hz panel and a 60hz panel, I suppose it's because your cock is firmly grasped. I have learned my lesson not to reply to any posts beyond an arbitrary threshold of "conversation being over" I guess :laffo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Unironically the best post in the entire thread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm connected to my hotel's WiFi... but I can't update my OS or backup my photos to Google Photos because both apps say they are not connected to WiFi. What the gently caress?

These are the only two things that are hosed up right now, and I don't understand why. Tried turning on/off WiFi, on/off airplane mode, forgetting the network, restarting the phone, deleting old networks(only 10 in my phone's memory now fwiw), nothing has worked.

I turn my cellular data off manually when connected to WiFi, so the only way I'm getting a connection is through the loving WiFi. Anybody seen this happen? It's really starting to piss me off.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Your hotel wifi is probably blocking those things.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Celexi posted:

Your hotel wifi is probably blocking those things.

I thought about that, but would they block the OS update? It's only 160MB :confused:

Well I'm switching hotels soon so I guess it's no biggie. Just wondering if it's something dumb that I did/missed, cause it usually is!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It may be similar to airplane wifi that only allows a very limited list of apps to operate. I always assumed it was a whitelist, not that they're specifically blacklisting OS updates or whatever.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm connected to my hotel's WiFi... but I can't update my OS or backup my photos to Google Photos because both apps say they are not connected to WiFi. What the gently caress?

I've had this over VPN, telling the apps to allow updates over cellular seems to allow it to update OK, and over the borked WiFi rather than using your data allowance.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Good news for OG Pixel owners:

quote:

Google has agreed to settle a class action lawsuit brought by owners of the original Google Pixel who said the company knowingly sold handsets with defective microphones. Pending the court’s approval, Google could pay up to $500 to certain Pixel owners for a total settlement of $7.25 million. Pixel and Pixel XL devices manufactured before January 4th, 2017, are covered by the lawsuit.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623077/google-pixel-faulty-mic-issues-lawsuit-payout-hairline-fracture

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The $500 estimate is for people that swapped the phone and still had problems with the replacement. If you're like me and had the microphone issue and had the phone swapped once, you could get up to $350 according to the article. Not bad for a relatively minor annoyance. Who actually talks on their phones anyway?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh wow, I'm pretty sure I'm in the $500 group so that's nice even though I wish it didn't cover me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bandire posted:

The $500 estimate is for people that swapped the phone and still had problems with the replacement. If you're like me and had the microphone issue and had the phone swapped once, you could get up to $350 according to the article. Not bad for a relatively minor annoyance. Who actually talks on their phones anyway?

I've seen this mentioned a few times - am I really in the minority phoning and getting phoned by my woman and family frequently?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The bigger issue for me is what when the mic went, the headphone jack went too.

Also it was annoying when I wanted to take video of well...anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bandire posted:

Who actually talks on their phones anyway?

The one time I had to call 911 for an emergency was when I had a lemon Nokia with a barely audible earpiece. That was fun.

I came upon a lady with a broken leg on the bike trail, not exactly life or death emergency, but still needed to get an ambulance to her.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times - am I really in the minority phoning and getting phoned by my woman and family frequently?

Probably! But I'm mostly just repeating the running joke. Also, I'm an antisocial retard that gets mad when someone calls me rather than text/IM.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Please consider removing the r-word from your vocabulary.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
OnePlus 7 Pro reviews are out and AP and Amadeo both really love it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/oneplus-7-pro-review-the-fastest-best-designed-best-value-android-phone/

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/14/the-oneplus-7-pro-is-the-best-smartphone-you-can-buy-right-now/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3fBhttgS0

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
$669.99. That's quite a bit less than the speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The one real negative for me personally so far is the lack of AOD, done for battery saving reasons according to OnePlus.