Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ims/3605111002/
"I’m still here."

https://twitter.com/IndyStarSports/status/1127627749164761089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My complaints about the screens at IMS and NBC Sports Gold aside, the race was awesome, glad to see my boy Pagenaud get a long overdue win in spectacular style, and my dad got me an early birthday present and now I've got a brick with my name and an inscription on it outside the IMS museum, which is all pretty dope.

Also I met Pippa when she was signing autographs in the plaza, which was neat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember, no practice today.

TOMORROW, 11 EASTERN, PRACTICE STARTS

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Turn 2 suite is ready to go. :getin:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was the best ever race at the Indy GP.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Frond posted:

That was the best ever race at the Indy GP.

Excellent last third. Really good stuff.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar/status/1128046838920224768

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1128039262446915585

Bentai fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 13, 2019

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Reynold posted:

My complaints about the screens at IMS and NBC Sports Gold aside, the race was awesome, glad to see my boy Pagenaud get a long overdue win in spectacular style, and my dad got me an early birthday present and now I've got a brick with my name and an inscription on it outside the IMS museum, which is all pretty dope.

Also I met Pippa when she was signing autographs in the plaza, which was neat.

Does the track have like facility wide wifi? I know a lot of stadiums are doing this but wasn't sure about a place that big. If so do you think it would be reliable enough to stream the race while at the race? I was thinking of doing that to keep up on what was going on during the race aside from what was immediately in front of me. Though I guess just keeping the radio call on would do that for me.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

bigbillystyle posted:

Does the track have like facility wide wifi? I know a lot of stadiums are doing this but wasn't sure about a place that big. If so do you think it would be reliable enough to stream the race while at the race? I was thinking of doing that to keep up on what was going on during the race aside from what was immediately in front of me. Though I guess just keeping the radio call on would do that for me.

Nope. I got a decent enough signal but didn’t try to stream.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

bigbillystyle posted:

I can ask. I think someone from the former ExactTarget IT team that helped out at the track still works in my department.

That said, I wouldn't hold your breath.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

WiFi really isn't suited for such a large crowd of people like race day and really needs to be specifically set up and designed to do so.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

gret posted:

WiFi really isn't suited for such a large crowd of people like race day and really needs to be specifically set up and designed to do so.

Verizon had something setup at the track that was basically a one-way Wifi broadcast, or something along those lines, that could pump a signal to everyone without bogging down the network.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1128071925484404737

I'm going to say this.

For ISC/FranceCo to do this to a venue like Nazareth is disgraceful.

Especially considering how important that venue was to the likes of Roger Penske and Mario Andretti. Figures that transcend IndyCar, and are now Auto Racing legends period.

And it's not even a "HURR DURR INDYCAR" sort of thing. That venue was great for Trucks, Busch Series and USAC.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/CarlosMunoz034/status/1128081522521776130

How is it some of the jobbers on the entry list get rides and Carlos Munoz doesn't?

fake edit- How does Sage Karam get a ride and Carlos Munoz doesn't? :wtc:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://racer.com/2019/05/13/juncos-loses-primary-indy-500-sponsors/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

How is it some of the jobbers on the entry list get rides and Carlos Munoz doesn't?

Let's just skip ahead to 2020 because I don't give a poo poo about this one

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Big Huski Boi posted:

Let's just skip ahead to 2020 because I don't give a poo poo about this one

but but but ARE NANDO

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm not even a hardcore Indycar follower, and I'm full on :wtc: about this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I really wish we could have more of a "Bring what you got" culture to the "500" again.

Sad that door is shut and has been shut since 1996.

Would have been nice to read a headline like "Local Indianapolis Restaurant Chain owner to run Carlos Munoz in year old car with help from John Menard" or something

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That door has been sealed since 1996, but it started closing years before - once "competitive engine" didn't mean throwing a shitton of boost at an old Offy or Cosworth.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As much as a "Garage 34" or "run what you brung" would be amazing, I have a feeling there would be another "USAC vs CART" shitstorm the moment the one-off entry beats all the regulars. :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

As much as a "Garage 34" or "run what you brung" would be amazing, I have a feeling there would be another "USAC vs CART" shitstorm the moment the one-off entry beats all the regulars. :(

If it’s two guys and a dog, they won’t have the ability to make a car safe and fast enough to make the field.

If you let Penske, Andretti or Ganassi exploit the loophole, it’ll be The Beast all over again.

It was an era where everything was simpler and much less professional, and that is not a genie going back into the bottle at this point for IndyCar.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1128071925484404737

I'm going to say this.

For ISC/FranceCo to do this to a venue like Nazareth is disgraceful.

Especially considering how important that venue was to the likes of Roger Penske and Mario Andretti. Figures that transcend IndyCar, and are now Auto Racing legends period.

And it's not even a "HURR DURR INDYCAR" sort of thing. That venue was great for Trucks, Busch Series and USAC.

Is it wrong my favourite part of this whole article that rather than go meet the guy who has been employed to let them in, Mario still wants to go round back and sneak through the hole in the fence anyway?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine is the fact that Mario still has recurring nightmares about missing the race and/or someone else being in his car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey

Hey

PRACTICE TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS :getin:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Delta force on repeat, headed to my turn 2 suite :getin:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I'm at the part in Adrian Newey's book where he writes about March, Indycar, Rahal, Kraco and Newman Haas. It's a great read so far and his description of the Month of May experience is really great. It's a part of his career I knew virtually nothing about and he was right in the middle of some great times.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The March 86C’s RC/SC/Short Oval rear wing was insanely huge.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
walked into suite, grabbed beer, sat down, race cars fired up. I’m “working” at a vendor event on my calendar

On as much free beer as possible, yes

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Frond posted:

The March 86C’s RC/SC/Short Oval rear wing was insanely huge.

Newey also did some typically trick poo poo with it, turning the turbocharger around and using 'heat shields' (which happened to form an extension to the undertray) to enable an exhaust-blown diffuser.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sulman posted:

Newey also did some typically trick poo poo with it, turning the turbocharger around and using 'heat shields' (which happened to form an extension to the undertray) to enable an exhaust-blown diffuser.

The guy knows how to exploit every little thing out of cars to great effect, that's for sure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Work has NBC Sports Gold blocked, so i guess its finally time to get unlimited data on my phone :v:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol at getting unlimited data and instead of just living/working in the Indy metro area and making sure you drink at the track for free all may instead

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

devmd01 posted:

Lol at getting unlimited data and instead of just living/working in the Indy metro area and making sure you drink at the track for free all may instead

downside is you have to live in Indy the other 11 months of the year

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Peanut President posted:

downside is you have to live in Indiana the other 11 months of the year

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

frankencar already spotted, its may baby

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik