Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Reddit is complaining about the lack of armored horses. Not that disagree with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If character art is moddable, I guarantee there will be a Dynasty Warriors art mod within an hour from the mod tools being released.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Call me if they start replacing voice lines

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Davincie posted:

i’ve been playing since medieval 1, so im aware theres less variety in historical games. most still had different cultures with vastly different rosters though. so far, 3k doesn’t really have that since theres no nanman, northern tribes, korea, vietnamese etc

we can hope some of these get added over time, but its still less variety than anything but shogun, which i personally got bored off quickly

Nah, there's more variety here than shogun, especially launch shogun. Mainly with the lategame dragon/emperor units, which are pretty crazy.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yellow turbans are the best, so I'm just wondering: is their roster entirely unique? Just how many more of their mechanics are entirely different from all the other factions?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

NewMars posted:

Yellow turbans are the best, so I'm just wondering: is their roster entirely unique? Just how many more of their mechanics are entirely different from all the other factions?

I just finished watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOqOHtMbps

It looks like the same with most other factions. Some unique units to the faction, the rest are dependent on your generals class. You can research more unique units as well.

But there was a reddit post that had quite a few unique units listed for each type and I recall a lot for the yellow turbans.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I know this is sort of off topic and pointless but we've now crossed a new pathetic and ridiculous milestone in games marketing. I get why release day one DLC exists even if the reason for it from developers/publishers is only one step above staggered releases with exclusive content on the scale of "how much can we gently caress over consumers for their money" but CA has crossed the line to now have sponsored pre-release content specifically focused on the release day DLC. On the one hand it isn't all that different from just advertising the product but on the other hand it's paying people to show off parts of the game they might not even get by paying the full price before the game is even released.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
this is baby poo poo for "bad" games marketing lol

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What CA is doing is kind of lovely but do remember that you get this DLC as long as buy the game anytime between now and a week after its launch.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Your choices are to preorder with a discount and get the dlc, wait for a sale on everything, or just pirate the game. No one is forcing you to buy it for 60 a week after it comes out and not get the dlc.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Can't you get the DLC up to 1 week from release just from buying the game?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the yellow turban gameplay is making me realize large parts of the map are just empty. that whole area the dev migrated to, the parts to the west of the bandits, probably more in the west and south we haven't seen in gameplay yet

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Otherwise known as the parts of the map that aren't part of the old Chinese core. Those areas are either not part of the Han empire, or were distant enough that the Han court didn't care about them. So of course the old Han regional lords would not be present. But of course, there is almost certainly going to be a Nanman / southern non-Chinese peoples DLC, a Three Kingdoms of Korea (Goguryeo, Baekje, Silla) DLC, and a silk road DLC. There is no reason to have such a large map unless they are planning for those DLCs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Yellow Turban stuff seems quite a bit more full featured and expansive than I had assumed it would be.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's a compilation of Yellow Turban gameplay videos by YouTubers, and here is CA's own video showing mid-game-for-other-factions (starting on turn 102) He Yi gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t68lVxWbkyM

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Factions don't exist in multiplayer battles in 3Kingdoms Total War. Instead, you pick any three characters that you can afford to make up your army. In one review copy, the streamer was running Sun Ren / Zheng Jiang / Sima Yi against He Yi / Zhou Yu / Huang Shao.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hunt11 posted:

The only limitation on generics in regards to general class is that two of the classes only spawn male generic characters.

I'm guessing this means no women fighty characters for "Realism"?

Buuuu!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I'm guessing this means no women fighty characters for "Realism"?

Buuuu!

There are no generic female vanguards and champions which does suck.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

There are no generic female vanguards and champions which does suck.

god damnit devs, stop doing this

even the 2000s dynasty warriors had loads of women and custom characters could be male or female because its a fun videogame

it really sucks how the historical gaming community has like 30% more scumbags than normal gaming communities
and it makes devs of them assume, i think incorrectly, that they will lose more customers for being inclusive over "realistic" than the other way around

i am a little twitchy about this atm though cause my friend wants to play mordhau and im just kinda annoyed at the lack of skin colours and gender in a "create your own merc" game that isnt even set in the real world. i went on the official mordhau forums and its like 30 people total on there and 10 of them are disgusting racists and its unmoderated.
naturally the morhau steam forums are considerably worse cause the unmodrated steam community is just 4chan for some games complaining about "mongoloid sjws"
and the mordhau devs are adding women but are also adding a toggle so you can remove women from the game if you're too much of a shithead
you can make a case for a small team not wanting to add another model for women before release as extra work but the lack of skin colours doesn't follow that, thats just a weird choice

by comparison the last TWC thread I saw on the issue had basically everyone dogpiling the one guy saying women shouldnt be in there and he apologised and changed his mind. but that was the DeI forums and they seem like good dudes who take moderation seriously, (i got warned for saying "malaka" lol)

sorry for the rant it just genuinely bugs me and i dont know how to mod this to make it better

e: i think this extra bugs me cause its clearly a choice that itd be unrealistic for a woman to be able to fight like a man because of :biotruths:
theres probably some smart zizek or chomsky quote about how what people take as unideological truth tells you the most about their ideology

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 16, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well considering female warriors of the past have been DLC, they might just be holding back to make a little more money.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Nice review video, as a player spending 95% of the time on the world map I'm very excited. I wouldn't be shocked if they did away with the RTS part completely in some future iteration to aim fully at Paradox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAuFniLODo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Campaign is good, the battles are underwhelming. This lines up with the footage I've seen so far.

e: that said, this siege battle kicks.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 16, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Review compilation

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/bpd2bw/total_war_three_kingdoms_review_thread/

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

sauer kraut posted:

Nice review video, as a player spending 95% of the time on the world map I'm very excited. I wouldn't be shocked if they did away with the RTS part completely in some future iteration to aim fully at Paradox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAuFniLODo

Aren't battles the entire reason people play these games?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're never getting rid of the battles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Davos posted:

90% yeah.

Abandoning that would be insanely dumb, especially to go after a smaller publisher

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

eurogamer says that they tried a lot of new things and many of them are bad
that combined with a "good" campaign (its not hard to make a better campaign than.. well any TW campaign layer) but bad battles are basically what i was afraid of
cause thats pretty much ThroB which I still havent managed to have fun with

i've preordered it and am insanely hype despite myself though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Davos posted:

I think you would be surprised if you had access to ingame metrics about how many players go full autoresolve only. But that's only my opinion.
Yeah CA propbably won't abandon realtime battles for main games, but I can see them testing the grander strategy waters with a spinoff.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 16, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i basically autoresolve anything but the battles that seem like they will be cool. can't be bothered loading into the game to slay some peasants

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I auto-resolve probably 80% of my battles, but I really like being able to play one out when I feel like it or it seems like it could be cool. I haven’t played non-Warhammer TW in awhile but this seems similar and they were fine then?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

sauer kraut posted:

I think you would be surprised if you had access to ingame metrics about how many players go full autoresolve only. But that's only my opinion.
Yeah CA propbably won't abandon realtime battles for main games, but I can see them testing the grander strategy waters with a spinoff.

I wouldn't be surprised if people autoresolve the majority of battles, but that's more due to those battles being too one-sided to bother with than a desire to avoid the battle mechanics completely. Nobody cares about personally watching their 2000 man army overwhelm a 500 man garrison after the first few times. But those evenly matched tacticaly battles are the whole draw that Total War has over more strategy-focused games like Paradox's grand strategy games, or 4x ones.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Davos posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if people autoresolve the majority of battles, but that's more due to those battles being too one-sided to bother with than a desire to avoid the battle mechanics completely. Nobody cares about personally watching their 2000 man army overwhelm a 500 man garrison after the first few times. But those evenly matched tacticaly battles are the whole draw that Total War has over more strategy-focused games like Paradox's grand strategy games, or 4x ones.

Ehhh, I actually have the most fun when I build an economic engine that can autoresolve all my battles. The battle aspect is usually too stressful for me, which is why I tend to just go with missile-heavy armies, like the Chosokabe in Shogun 2.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean one of the best things in TW was either taking an army with little resources on a full campaign with little resources or holding a frontier with little resources. Granted getting that in a vanilla campaign is very hard

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The combat being sorta mediocre has me a bit wary, though I did enjoy Rome 2. Hm.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

EDIT: wrong thread

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
how is the combat bad tho

I mean it's not going to be flashy run around like Total Warhammer, but otherwise what are the hangups? That PartyElite video boiled down to "idk just didn't feel great gently caress if I know" and "the UI was bad and I didn't know what my units did," the latter being solvable through experience so whatev.

Records being a slower paced, more drawn out affair sounds like Shogun 2, a good game, so what up??

edit: like, the most I can divine is that units don't have a very distinct rock-paper-scissors role which ??

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2019

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it's gonna be really tough to expect a battle system that will feel "better" than dinosaurs vs skeletons.

i am most excited about the diplomatic updates. I'm hoping the officer variety makes up for the diminished troop variety.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

how is the combat bad tho

I mean it's not going to be flashy run around like Total Warhammer, but otherwise what are the hangups? That PartyElite video boiled down to "idk just didn't feel great gently caress if I know" and "the UI was bad and I didn't know what my units did," the latter being solvable through experience so whatev.

Records being a slower paced, more drawn out affair sounds like Shogun 2, a good game, so what up??

edit: like, the most I can divine is that units don't have a very distinct rock-paper-scissors role which ??

i havent played it but it could be a bit like ThroB where the loss of R-P-S (it exists but the lines are very blurry) or special units like in warhammer, combined with the faster, more chaotic combat of modern TW means every balanced fight is just you throwing all your army into a blobby scrum and 2 minutes later almost everyone on both sides is dead and the victorious armies shredded units are limping after the retreating armies shredded units

shogun 2 is a good game but is VERY rock paper scissors, I've been playing that recently and it plays quite differently to newer TW games. even peasant spears shred good cavalry, sword infantry carve up elite spear infantry and nobody is safe from gunpowder units of any kind over flat land

im not sure how vanilla rome 2 plays since i only play DeI but in that all the units types feel very different despite being flavours of spearmanii. hoplites are basically cement blocks, pikes are killy as hell from the front but collapse from the flank, shock cavalry outkill anything else by orders of magnitude in a rear charge etc

im just guessing from what i've seen and assume that 3K plays a bit like warhammer but with only flavours of infantry and cav which would be kinda a mess tbh. warhammer gets around its limitations with variety and cool poo poo, take that away and itd be kind of a sloppy scrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Just got my collectors edition delivered, and I'm stuck at work for the next couple of hours. I won't be able to play it for a couple of days anyway, but I want to check Guan Yu's statue.