Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'm moving to a new place soon with a bigger space for my creative endeavours. A big problem I have with my current room is that my computer/tablet setup is very cramped, my seating and table suck and my posture is absolute horseshit. I've barely drawn in the last year or so due to being poor and not having the means to really improve any of this until I move, and I'm not keen to worsen the arm/hand pain issues I was getting.

Can anyone give me tips or a tutorial or anything about how to set up a comfortable working space for digital drawing? Like, what kind of table makes sense, what kind of chair, in which distance and at which height should I sit in front of the desk and PC, how should my arm and hand posture be, that kinda thing? Do note that I don't have a tablet with a screen yet. I'm sorry for being clueless but I'm genuinely interested in learning not to gently caress up my body so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've been struggling with the same. What I've seen says to have your seat height set so that if you rest your arm on the table your elbow is at 90 degrees, though that's not tablet-specific, it's more a general office-setup guide. Beyond that, I'm all ears.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
can't wait for college! i pray the dorm-room i get isn't too crowded since i need some room for my cintiq and desktop along with a decent monitor...

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fruity20 posted:

can't wait for college! i pray the dorm-room i get isn't too crowded since i need some room for my cintiq and desktop along with a decent monitor...

Did...you get a room-sized Cintiq or something?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

XBenedict posted:

Did...you get a room-sized Cintiq or something?

i wanna buy a wacom cintiq 16 and i need some room to reach for my keyboard.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Where does a keyboard go? Right in front of you.
Where does a tablet monitor go? Right in front of you.
Uh oh!

I resolved this with a large sized monitor stand. Wide enough to fit the keyboard underneath and tablet on top, tall enough to type on the keyboard without bumping the shelf and use the tablet without hunching over horribly. Keeps both in usable positions without having to always rearrange things, which can be especially important if you're dealing with wacom's connectors.

If the tablet has a VESA mount, an Ergotron-style monitor arm is also a good solution.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
im burning

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi burning, I'm dad!

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

:ohdear: are you on fire?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Plz consider this illustration on good ergonomics from my quick googling:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Plz consider this illustration on good ergonomics from my quick googling:

Yeah but Chad isn’t suffering for his art, so how can it be any good? Plus he can’t draw with his whole arm, those poor gestures!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah but Chad isn’t suffering for his art, so how can it be any good? Plus he can’t draw with his whole arm, those poor gestures!

Chad's got a drawing pad so he can make big long lines with small movements, with no arm-rest to hold him down. He's suffering on the inside 'cause he makes bank by illustrating those online "rpg" ad where tiddies in armour bounce.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Would it save me the headache to just work alone and never rely on anything anymore? For the many years I've been on the internet, most of what i say is some form of a question. I'm like in my 20s now and this hasn't stopped. I can't seem to do anything without me asking..is this okay?

Like is it okay to buy the latest cintiq 16 despite the fact that the color gamut is considered bad by many, and that there's way better alternatives out there...When I asked this question in another forum, folks were trying vie for control over my mind in order convince me that this product is good and if buy wacom your selling your soul to the devil...Despite it being like 649 dollars...

maybe it's time i started being more abrasive and independent for once..

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

So you asked for advice and don't like it when people give you advice, so you're asking for advice on if you should stop asking for advice?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Edit: this isn't the questions thread, I was confused.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 9, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

lofi posted:

So you asked for advice and don't like it when people give you advice, so you're asking for advice on if you should stop asking for advice?

:thunk:

you legit made a really good brain twister..

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
If you wanna buy a wacom, you're gonna buy a wacom. I've recommended the alternative like one billion times and people will always go "I guess I'll just get that cintiq tho, thanks".

Here's the thing: It's your loving money. You spend it on what you wanna spend it on. If you want a shiny thing, it does not matter if every other thing outperforms it, because they're not Shiny so you'll not like them as much even if you get them.

Gods know I've bought a ton of things where there's cheaper or better alternatives, but I don't like them. Why? Dunno. Dun like 'em. That black stone composite sink? Gotta have it. Oh there's a black stone composite sink for 200 less over there? Yeah, but look at it. LOOK AT IT. Who's buying this? Me, that's who, we're getting the expensive one.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

When you're sinking a huge chunk of cash into a tool, brand recognition goes a long way. Further than it should.

You've had good experiences with wacom alternatives, then?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

lofi posted:

When you're sinking a huge chunk of cash into a tool, brand recognition goes a long way. Further than it should.

You've had good experiences with wacom alternatives, then?

i only watched reviews...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Composite stone sinks seem like such a hassle to maintain over time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whatever tablet is gonna be fine. Skill makes up 96% of it all. Tools are tools.

Log off for a while. Flush your brain. Go on a walk and keep asking yourself what you want until you answer.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Xarbala posted:

Composite stone sinks seem like such a hassle to maintain over time.

First thoughts: Hassle? What maintenance? They don't need any maintenance!
Second thoughts: Wait, should I have been doing maintenance on it all these years?
Third thoughts: I better check out my sink.
Fourth thoughts: Goddamn this is a nice sink. Not a scratch on it. Perfect black smooth matte surface. Shiny stainless steel strainer part. Yep. Sure is sheer delight putting dirty dishes in this, I'm so lucky to have it.

You know how there's some objects that you see, and you know they're meant to be yours? And it feels like no-one else sees what you see in them, but you look at them and they speak to you. You look at the thing and it slots into a jagged outcropping in your soul that you didn't know needed something slotting in. They can be completely mundane or random, but it's the object that you have an understanding with. The one that you are still happy to have years after, when all the other things have lost their attraction. The one that you know you'd still think back to longingly years later, wishing you'd gotten it if you miss your chance.

My composite stone sink is one of those objects, people told me to get the cheaper one or even a stainless steel sink. It's just a sink, right?
(It's not)

Get the tablet you want. GET THE TABLET YOU WAAAANT.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I met a traveller from an antique forum,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless slabs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Sharpest Crayon, Goon of goons;
Look on my sink, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i wash out of a corrugated iron rain tank in my yard

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
but is it the corrugated iron rain tank you want?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Fish Noise posted:

but is it the corrugated iron rain tank you want?
no actually i'm wildly dissatisfied with it, but such is the life of a yokel

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sharpest Crayon posted:

First thoughts: Hassle? What maintenance? They don't need any maintenance!
Second thoughts: Wait, should I have been doing maintenance on it all these years?
Third thoughts: I better check out my sink.
Fourth thoughts: Goddamn this is a nice sink. Not a scratch on it. Perfect black smooth matte surface. Shiny stainless steel strainer part. Yep. Sure is sheer delight putting dirty dishes in this, I'm so lucky to have it.

You know how there's some objects that you see, and you know they're meant to be yours? And it feels like no-one else sees what you see in them, but you look at them and they speak to you. You look at the thing and it slots into a jagged outcropping in your soul that you didn't know needed something slotting in. They can be completely mundane or random, but it's the object that you have an understanding with. The one that you are still happy to have years after, when all the other things have lost their attraction. The one that you know you'd still think back to longingly years later, wishing you'd gotten it if you miss your chance.

My composite stone sink is one of those objects, people told me to get the cheaper one or even a stainless steel sink. It's just a sink, right?
(It's not)

Get the tablet you want. GET THE TABLET YOU WAAAANT.

I bought a 1985 copy of the full encyclopedia brittanica for $5 today so i know exactly what you mean it's sweet af

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm saving up for the perfect goat

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds expensive

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

should I try the thunderdome to improve my writing skills?

I got nothing much else to do so i might as well give a go.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Fruity20 posted:

should I try the thunderdome to improve my writing skills?

I got nothing much else to do so i might as well give a go.

I've thought about it myself but the thread seems a little intense to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Get into the dome you scaredy cats

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

well i don't want that icon :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
then don't write bad

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Simply Simon posted:

then don't write bad

easier said then done...

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thunderdome is fun but also very direct and blunt. If you don't like very blunt feedback, it might not be fun for you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the critique is pretty blunt, and there's an explicit "don't discuss/argue about crits in the TD thread, take it to the Fiction Advice thread or Discord" rule, if that's potentially a problem for you.

That said, a major virtue of TD is that participating regularly will get you to just practice writing and producing things, which is valuable if you have problems with the "just stop thinking and write already" part of the process. It's good training against perfectionism, and the variety of prompts can help you stretch your muscles in different tones and genres instead of focusing on one project endlessly. If you can handle the environment, it's a really good opportunity to practice and learn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a lot nicer than it used to be haha. I would actually recommend it for you, because it will get you over your perfectionism hump.

All you need to do is read the prompt, post 'in' and write a story by deadline (Sunday midnight): this week is short 666 word spooky stories around the campfire, so it's a good week to jump in.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

sebmojo posted:

It's a lot nicer than it used to be haha.

This is true! I still think it's worth mentioning, because I think those used to very generous compliment-sandwich-style crits will find TD style an unpleasant surprise, but it's pretty much just frank assessment of a story's faults, not hyperbole and insults. Nobody's telling anyone to drink bleach these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I entered, and didn't even get a loser avatar! And they were all disturbingly nice, I'm still not 100% convinced it's not a long con.