Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know, it bothers me how easily everybody gets back on board with stopping Kefka in the world of ruin. Of all of them, Strago is the only one that makes sense in universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

You know, it bothers me how easily everybody gets back on board with stopping Kefka in the world of ruin. Of all of them, Strago is the only one that makes sense in universe.

This is a good opportunity to read you my essay on how Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame are just a retelling of Final Fantasy VI.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
HOLY poo poo YOU'RE RIGHT, RIGHT DOWN TO THE FIVE YEARS LATER PART.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd like to know more, sure.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Dirge of Cerberus isn't the worst FF7 spinoff.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Honestly the entire Compilation is really good, and Sa is just being its same old dead gay forums self.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Overbite posted:

Dirge of Cerberus isn't the worst FF7 spinoff.

i mean do the clunky rear end games designed to be played on a 2002 japanese flip phone really count

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The worst FF7 spinoff is FF10.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gologle posted:

No, the only one who makes sense is Shadow. If you don't wait for him. Because then he's dead, and everyone in the party would also be dead, from being on an airship fleeing a floating continent and being struck by shrapnel. Also, FFVI is just Gau's dream as he is treated for his bad hairstyle and is shaking a snowglobe.

I mean what else are they gonna do with their lives, sit there and get squashed? The second airship makes it all feasible.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gologle posted:

Honestly the entire Compilation is really good, and Sa is just being its same old dead gay forums self.

You have to be over 13 to use the forums without your parents permission.

Real talk, I've never heard someone who wasn't part of anime club say good things about the FF7 spinoffs. Or talk about them period.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The FF7 spinoffs are terrible and the only good thing that came out of them is knowing Gackt is preventing the usage of his insert.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gackt

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I thought people liked Crisis Core. or at least didn't hate it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Advent Children's One Winged Angel is just straight up superior to the original in every way.

They even gave it new, better lyrics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

morallyobjected posted:

I thought people liked Crisis Core. or at least didn't hate it

It's pretty good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crisis Core is a middling to good game with lots of story and decisions that are awful that you forget about because it absolutely 100% nails the ending.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Never having played FFX (I've played pretty much all the others, except maybe II and V), I picked it up the HD remaster on Steam a while back. I've finally started it and am about 20 hrs in (just got the airship). From being alive and on the internet, I already know a few things (like Tidus's questionable existence) about the story, but it's been fun so far seeing it fleshed out.

I know someone a bit earlier complained a little about the combat, but I'm enjoying it. It's much more interesting than just mashing the attack button. I think it's fun using things like Dark/Bio/Slow and debuffs and having easy access to Sensor to suss out the elemental weaknesses. Plus, it seems pretty well animated for its time. I'm not as big a fan of the gear system; so far changing weapons seems pretty pointless (except for Wakka's TKO -- that one made a HUGE impact on speeding up battles). And the Sphere Grid system seems like a really clunky way to disguise a standard level-up system. For all the appearance of a 2-D grid, it's really just a set of mostly linear tracks that happen to intersect in a few places.

Speaking of linear: From what I've heard, one of the big complaints about FFXIII is that it felt like one long corridor for a big part of the early game (I haven't played it myself). If so, why was that not raised for FFX? I've played 20 hours so far as I've said, and it's been one long corridor, more or less. Some areas are even literally a road or a path with no branches to get form setpiece A to setpiece B. It's honestly been a tiny bit boring -- I miss the more open overworld maps, even if it's often an illusion of freedom.

Oh, and that Seymour guy sure seemed like a bad apple. I'm glad we killed him before he could execute his evil plan and marry Yuna. I'm sure he won't be coming back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually it was a sticking point when the game came out!

just, after ff13, everyone thought "wow you could revisit old areas and play minigames. look at how good we had it"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

werdnam posted:

Never having played FFX (I've played pretty much all the others, except maybe II and V), I picked it up the HD remaster on Steam a while back. I've finally started it and am about 20 hrs in (just got the airship). From being alive and on the internet, I already know a few things (like Tidus's questionable existence) about the story, but it's been fun so far seeing it fleshed out.

I know someone a bit earlier complained a little about the combat, but I'm enjoying it. It's much more interesting than just mashing the attack button. I think it's fun using things like Dark/Bio/Slow and debuffs and having easy access to Sensor to suss out the elemental weaknesses. Plus, it seems pretty well animated for its time. I'm not as big a fan of the gear system; so far changing weapons seems pretty pointless (except for Wakka's TKO -- that one made a HUGE impact on speeding up battles). And the Sphere Grid system seems like a really clunky way to disguise a standard level-up system. For all the appearance of a 2-D grid, it's really just a set of mostly linear tracks that happen to intersect in a few places.

Speaking of linear: From what I've heard, one of the big complaints about FFXIII is that it felt like one long corridor for a big part of the early game (I haven't played it myself). If so, why was that not raised for FFX? I've played 20 hours so far as I've said, and it's been one long corridor, more or less. Some areas are even literally a road or a path with no branches to get form setpiece A to setpiece B. It's honestly been a tiny bit boring -- I miss the more open overworld maps, even if it's often an illusion of freedom.

Oh, and that Seymour guy sure seemed like a bad apple. I'm glad we killed him before he could execute his evil plan and marry Yuna. I'm sure he won't be coming back.

The sequel to X is one of the most non-linear, if not the most non-linear, FF games ever. So somebody must have complained.

And actually, every time somebody criticizes XIII's hallways, somebody invariably says "X was linear too and people loved it!" This is a false equivalence because X allows you to backtrack. Furthermore, it has towns. I can't stress this enough. There is nothing to do in XIII except run from cutscene to cutscene and fight monsters along the way. In X you can chill out and talk to people and they actually do change and have new things to say depending on where you are in the plot. Also minigames, even if they are awful minigames.

Glad to hear you are having fun, though. Do you plan to fight optional superbosses and the like? Have you heard of the Dark Aeons and stuff?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Yup, FFX was the first of the story tube FF games. Or at least the blatant story tube games, they've all had a direction and a plot and such.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ItBreathes posted:

Real talk, I've never heard someone who wasn't part of anime club say good things about the FF7 spinoffs. Or talk about them period.

Crisis Core has a really good ending, and Advent Children was pretty to look at. As stupid as it is, I loved everyone taking turns boosting Cloud up so he could get the killing blow on the evil Bahamut. “Ready?”

Been playing FFVII, and I forgot how drat great the game is. FFIX is my personal favorite, but I can’t deny FFVII is the best.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh per the monster discussion earlier I cannot believe I loving forgot how great the FFXV Tonberry was. Especially running into them where you do. Everything about those little fuckers was perfect.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

NikkolasKing posted:

Glad to hear you are having fun, though. Do you plan to fight optional superbosses and the like? Have you heard of the Dark Aeons and stuff?

Probably. I never really tackled superbosses in previous games because I just didn't have the patience for the grinding. Is it any better in FFX? And I haven't heard of the Dark Aeons. The only advice I read before starting was to wait about 20 hours into the game to tackle blitzball, so my first decision now is whether to pick that up again.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, FFX had towns, temples, minigames, random wandering NPCs to chat up, and the ability to go back to pretty much anywhere in the world later on. It's got sidequests and hidden items for everyone's ultimate weapons. It even has not one, but TWO optional semi-hidden Aeons to collect! It is, compared to XIII, a smorgasbord of gameplay variety.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

werdnam posted:

Probably. I never really tackled superbosses in previous games because I just didn't have the patience for the grinding. Is it any better in FFX? And I haven't heard of the Dark Aeons. The only advice I read before starting was to wait about 20 hours into the game to tackle blitzball, so my first decision now is whether to pick that up again.

There is a trick to grinding AP to fill out everyone's Sphere Grid. You need to max out the Sphere Grid to even stand a chance against the Dark Aeons, or at least some of them.

Then it becomes a problem getting more Power and Speed Spheres and the like. No doubt you have 99 or close to all of them right now but they will start to vanish quickly once you have tons of AP to spend . I have no idea on how this might be done or if it's quick.

So, unfortunately, grinding is not exactly quick in FFX. It's not hard but it is repetitive.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Oh per the monster discussion earlier I cannot believe I loving forgot how great the FFXV Tonberry was. Especially running into them where you do. Everything about those little fuckers was perfect.

the tonberry fakeout in XIII is probably my favourite. get hosed Zenobia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey 13 has a single non-combat sidequest. Thats tons of variety!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I put so many hours into ffx just doing the monster arena because I loved the turn based combat so much and then they never did turn based combat again. I haven't gotten around to playing the remaster yet but my experience with the original sphere grid wasn't fun until I got far enough to start filling out a different character's grids so I had the abilities of the people I couldn't get ultimate weapons for. I don't remember where I used to grind out spheres, but exp gets hilariously fast if you equip damage to overdrive and overdrive to AP and face an arena monster that can hit you for over 10k damage a hit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rodbeard posted:

I put so many hours into ffx just doing the monster arena because I loved the turn based combat so much and then they never did turn based combat again. I haven't gotten around to playing the remaster yet but my experience with the original sphere grid wasn't fun until I got far enough to start filling out a different character's grids so I had the abilities of the people I couldn't get ultimate weapons for. I don't remember where I used to grind out spheres, but exp gets hilariously fast if you equip damage to overdrive and overdrive to AP and face an arena monster that can hit you for over 10k damage a hit.

Yeah the monster arena was pretty fun at the time, in a way that something like the Battle Square wasn't. I could hit a roadblock then walk around the world, play some more, and get back and have a go at it or just try to figure out a better strategy. At the time I played it I remember thinking X's optional bosses were the most fun I had with FF combat because I wasn't too much into its predecessors.

Unfortunately nowadays whenever I think "sphere grid" I just want to play Path of Exile instead :v:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

werdnam posted:

blitzball is where the real game starts

also the superbosses are easy if you cheese yojimbo and then uncap the summons damage

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

There is a trick to grinding AP to fill out everyone's Sphere Grid. You need to max out the Sphere Grid to even stand a chance against the Dark Aeons, or at least some of them.

Then it becomes a problem getting more Power and Speed Spheres and the like. No doubt you have 99 or close to all of them right now but they will start to vanish quickly once you have tons of AP to spend . I have no idea on how this might be done or if it's quick.

So, unfortunately, grinding is not exactly quick in FFX. It's not hard but it is repetitive.

Grinding spheres is easy, there's a monster in the arena that drops 20 of a particular item on death (40 with overkill). If you use an Extract X ability before killing it, you can get 40 X spheres per fight. You can also sell the weapons it drops for bribe money.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Grinding spheres is easy, there's a monster in the arena that drops 20 of a particular item on death (40 with overkill). If you use an Extract X ability before killing it, you can get 40 X spheres per fight. You can also sell the weapons it drops for bribe money.

The main issue is making a perfect sphere grid, which means having to go around the entire grid and rip out all those +2 stat/ +200 HP/MP nodes to replace them with better ones.

Also each node sphere only drops in sets of 2 and occasionally drop Dark Matter instead.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

BisbyWorl posted:

The main issue is making a perfect sphere grid, which means having to go around the entire grid and rip out all those +2 stat/ +200 HP/MP nodes to replace them with better ones.

Also each node sphere only drops in sets of 2 and occasionally drop Dark Matter instead.

You could also be me and decide to go for 255 luck :suicide:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
edit nvm.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i think it's really cool that you can edit the sphere grid but it's really lame that the bonus bosses expect nothing but maxed numbers or a cheeseball summon from you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

werdnam posted:

People definitely complained about this back in the day. It just became overshadowed by 13 being so much worse at this. 10 was very linear, but it did a lot of things right to make it entertaining, things that 13 didn't do. This video sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZMJDFe1kc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Why is it called The Sister Ray?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's more stock straight FFs than FFs with side quests.

Gologle posted:

Why is it called The Sister Ray?
Brother Ray is Hojos dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zedprime posted:

There's more stock straight FFs than FFs with side quests.

Brother Ray is Hojos dick.

It's really only 1-3 that have no side quests (and even then 3 does have an optional dungeon). Most of the summon stuff in 4 is optional, and even 13 has hunts once you reach Pulse. The rest generally have a good amount to do that steadily increases with each iteration.