Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Motherfucker posted:

I could fully see mount and blade going for a system like this.

Mount and blade definitely already lets you take enemy nobles/knights captive when you beat them in battle and eventually ransom them back to their home countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My biggest problem with spear + shield is that it's difficult to break through before some other spear + shield kills you. I think the big fix is making kick a bit more effective on them? Or just lowering the speed of the short spear stab

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Schneider Inside Her posted:

My biggest problem with spear + shield is that it's difficult to break through before some other spear + shield kills you. I think the big fix is making kick a bit more effective on them? Or just lowering the speed of the short spear stab

I think making shields less stamina efficient is probably the right way to go. It makes sense, too, holding up a big heavy piece of metal and blocking hits is going to tire you out faster than redirecting those hits with a parry.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Axes mails and eveningstar should do bonus stam dmg against shields

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILhLK2S8yus

This game is too drat funny

Parachute
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILhLK2S8yus&t=34s

hell yeah is this the awesome flail tactic ppl are talking about or some kind of avian mating dance?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Parachute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILhLK2S8yus&t=34s

hell yeah is this the awesome flail tactic ppl are talking about or some kind of avian mating dance?
That's the flourish, Mash X and 1 and watch the magic happen :buddy:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How do you throw your weapon? I want to toss my Zweihander if I could

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

How do you throw your weapon? I want to toss my Zweihander if I could

Only one-handed weapons with no alternate mode can be thrown, press R.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Has anyone else been using their final point in slow, heavy weapon builds to snag a dagger? It feels like you can get a big chip on someone and they never expect you to suddenly whip out a dagger and jab them in the face after they've finally gotten in on your halberd's reach. People seem to have a real challenge changing gears mentally from "I need to close on this person and just counter their slow attacks without creating an opening" to "I need to chamber and block this lunatic stabbing at me as fast as humanly possible" and it's gotten me a lot of kills, even on players that are at that level of gameplay where they're reliably chambering and blocking attacks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Commoners posted:

Has anyone else been using their final point in slow, heavy weapon builds to snag a dagger? It feels like you can get a big chip on someone and they never expect you to suddenly whip out a dagger and jab them in the face after they've finally gotten in on your halberd's reach. People seem to have a real challenge changing gears mentally from "I need to close on this person and just counter their slow attacks without creating an opening" to "I need to chamber and block this lunatic stabbing at me as fast as humanly possible" and it's gotten me a lot of kills, even on players that are at that level of gameplay where they're reliably chambering and blocking attacks.
All the goddamned time, yes, if normally a shortsword. When not splurging on an arming sword.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Orv posted:

Only one-handed weapons with no alternate mode can be thrown, press R.

Also the Maul. You can just chuck it at people and it is never unfunny.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Also the Maul. You can just chuck it at people and it is never unfunny.

To add, if you can actually fight with a maul and hit someone with a 75 dmg to the body they tend to nope out. The maul throw to the back is hilarious.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

To add, if you can actually fight with a maul and hit someone with a 75 dmg to the body they tend to nope out. The maul throw to the back is hilarious.

A maul throw to the face is a solid 50, and then they usually retreat...allowing you to run up, pick the maul up & fling it into them again :black101:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

oldskool posted:

A maul throw to the face is a solid 50, and then they usually retreat...allowing you to run up, pick the maul up & fling it into them again :black101:

Between the maul,l and eveningstar - I'm just cracking bones all day. Executioner's Sword is brolic as hell too. If I'm feeling fancy, longsword. Although, no one should sleep on the arming sword. It hits hard enough to put someone on notice and against slower weapons, I've hit them before their swing after a parry finishes.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Glenn Quebec posted:

Between the maul,l and eveningstar - I'm just cracking bones all day. Executioner's Sword is brolic as hell too. If I'm feeling fancy, longsword. Although, no one should sleep on the arming sword. It hits hard enough to put someone on notice and against slower weapons, I've hit them before their swing after a parry finishes.

I've really come to love the Maul and the Mace as my go-to weapons lately. The Maul just hits wonderfully with big, albeit slow, swings and its overhead will just wreck players. Anyone who skimped on head armor is just easy prey. Once you get the timing and how to aim it down, it will absolutely ruin people left and right. The mace is also great. Its quick on the swing and its overhead will crunch plenty of skulls. Just great weapons once you get the aiming bit down for the overhead, though the thrust will always be a bit disappointing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol reading about people's complaints that directly correlates to what killed them last always makes me laugh

Well Freud I almost always die to large weapons so looks like you're dumb.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No your dumb

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So what are the points in frontline? People keep calling them tickets but they aren't available respawns.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

So what are the points in frontline? People keep calling them tickets but they aren't available respawns.

Holding equal or lesser points than the enemy team drains points, increasing with the gap in held objectives. Deaths also decrease points but at no point are you ever prevented from spawning due to points. It's basically just Who Loses, The Number.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it's like tickets but for when you die and also holding certain points makes them go down over time.

yeah what orv said

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'd like to emphasize taking the point in frontlines over engaging the enemy haphazardly. If the point looks saturated with the enemy, wait for allies to show before engaging or bait them out to you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

Holding equal or lesser points than the enemy team drains points, increasing with the gap in held objectives. Deaths also decrease points but at no point are you ever prevented from spawning due to points. It's basically just Who Loses, The Number.

I thought it was like the number of respawns that each team is allotted.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to emphasize taking the point in frontlines over engaging the enemy haphazardly. If the point looks saturated with the enemy, wait for allies to show before engaging or bait them out to you.

Roobanguy posted:

there's nothing more frustrating in front line than when you and 3 other dudes are contesting the middle point single handedly for like a minute straight while every other teammate dicks around.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Unlucky7 posted:

That can't be true because then having me on their team means the game would be over in 30 seconds

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You will call me a madman, deranged, a lunatic, a fool, but trust me, trust me and at least try] third person. You may hate it, I did at first, rather a lot, but after about an hour and a half of forcing myself to keep at it, it clicked and I felt like Neo in the Matrix side stepping blows and parrying enemies behind me. You might not like it, most do not seem to but at least try it. I find it wildly easier to parry in third person and the increased spatial awareness will greatly help in knowing where your enemies and allies are.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
3rd person defeats the whole purpose of the game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

that's how they usually work but not this time. if you hit 0 you just lose

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
So there's a limit on how many spikes you can build, right? I noticed all my clever blind corner spikes were vanishing, and I saw one of my spikes poof out of existence when I plopped down a new one. Why can't I litter the map with fiendish traps? :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

hakimashou posted:

Is the whole purpose of the game to be deceived by your weapons range due to how first person melee combat works in games

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

your weapons range never randomly changes, you're not being deceived you just don't know it all that well yet

Power Walrus posted:

So there's a limit on how many spikes you can build, right? I noticed all my clever blind corner spikes were vanishing, and I saw one of my spikes poof out of existence when I plopped down a new one. Why can't I litter the map with fiendish traps? :smith:

I think you can only build like 5 or 6 things before the old stuff starts disappearing. You can only have one mini-ballista but I don't think it counts against your total

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

hakimashou posted:

It is a trade off. I find it much easier to morph and land precise stabs in first person, short weapons which are not also high damage do seem better in first person to me, since you can better judge the distance.

However, since I mostly play Frontline and few fights are duels, the benefits of being able to clearly see your enemies and allies outweighs those advantages, to me anyway.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Random sword chat: I don't personally see any appeal to any sword beside the estoc and messer, or as a secondary weapon, the arming sword. Am I missing something? This is a serious question.

The longsword, greatsword and zweihander have huge arcs, but, they are slow and usually won't land two attack kills on heavy armor. The bastard sword does nothing the messer does not do better except be a tiiiny bit faster in exchange for less damage and not two hitting people. The messer has the amazing advantage 50 damage on body hits to level 3 armor so you can consistently two shot anyone. It is not the fastest weapon but it is pretty fast and it is not the longest but it is long enough.

The estoc is just a confused spear and spears are awesome. I don't need to comment on the merits of King Staby Sword.

Am I missing something? Is there some benefit to the other swords I am not seeing? People seem to be getting good at parrying the very long swings of the greatsword, longsword and zweihander. If I want more range I wouldn't pick a sword at all, rather the long spear, halberd or bardiche.

Am I missing some feature which makes those three weapons useful? This is a serious question. the only thing that I can think of is that it is easier to faint people at a distance, but if that would work on them at a distance you can do it up close anyway. You can also more easily hit an enemy engaged with a teammate do to their longer range, but that does not seem like a significant benefit on its own.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah I think light weapons should only be able to parry other light weapons and maybe a few of the mid sized one handed weapons. A dagger parrying a maul or Zweihander is pretty loving stupid.

I just wish parrying used more stamina versus a heavier weapon that it does now. You kinda gotta wail on all these rapier/dagger guys even if you're using a halberd or maul and it sucks.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
You can have up to 6 spikes OR walls and 1 mini ballista.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

what is the purpose of the game?

as i understand its to spend 90% of your time loving around in the character editor. thus third person is very important to enjoy your style in a match

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
There are three types of players who play this game: those who like to swing, those who like to stab, and those who like to shoot.

Shooters are their own beast and cannot be predicted. Until you see them a few times in which case they usually become so.

Stab and swing; if a player is good with one they will bitch about the other. This is how I know things are balanced more or less.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Beans posted:

what is the purpose of the game?

as i understand its to spend 90% of your time loving around in the character editor. thus third person is very important to enjoy your style in a match

You could also just move your mouse downward after you die and enjoy looking at your mangled but stylish corpse :unsmigghh:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I don't put on fancy/colourful clothes for myself. I do it so people remember me. Also I can't aim for poo poo in 3rd person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diogines posted:

Random sword chat: I don't personally see any appeal to any sword beside the estoc and messer, or as a secondary weapon, the arming sword. Am I missing something? This is a serious question.

The longsword, greatsword and zweihander have huge arcs, but, they are slow and usually won't land two attack kills on heavy armor. The bastard sword does nothing the messer does not do better except be a tiiiny bit faster in exchange for less damage and not two hitting people. The messer has the amazing advantage 50 damage on body hits to level 3 armor so you can consistently two shot anyone. It is not the fastest weapon but it is pretty fast and it is not the longest but it is long enough.

The estoc is just a confused spear and spears are awesome. I don't need to comment on the merits of King Staby Sword.

Am I missing something? Is there some benefit to the other swords I am not seeing? People seem to be getting good at parrying the very long swings of the greatsword, longsword and zweihander. If I want more range I wouldn't pick a sword at all, rather the long spear, halberd or bardiche.

Am I missing some feature which makes those three weapons useful? This is a serious question. the only thing that I can think of is that it is easier to faint people at a distance, but if that would work on them at a distance you can do it up close anyway. You can also more easily hit an enemy engaged with a teammate do to their longer range, but that does not seem like a significant benefit on its own.

The messer only does 50 damage to level 2 armor. If you see numbers that big against level 3 guys you're probably accidentally getting headshots.
There are only a few weapons that hit hard enough to kill level 3 armor in two hits: waraxe, executioner sword, mace, eveningstar, maul, and apparently the peasant sledgehammer.

The messer's big downside is that its stabs are pretty lackluster so you have to use a less-varied offense of mostly just slashes, and morphs are less useful/effective. Against level 3 armor it doesn't kill any faster than e.g. the longsword which can also stab properly in addition to slashing. I still like it a lot, especially in frontline when lots of people run around with level 2 or below armor.
Estoc has the same problem in reverse because its stabs hit hard but its slashes are weak. Like the messer it can two-shot with stabs against level 2 armor but is no better than the longsword against level 3 (although it's longer).

Greatsword and zweihander get bigger and bigger reach advantages while still hitting hard with both attack types. Greatsword can also two-shot level 2 body armor with stabs (like the estoc), while zweihander can two-shot it with either stabs or slashes.