Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Blood and Souls!"

gently caress off, you're not Elric and don't think no-one noticed how Souls is awfully close to Soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Kurieg's timeline/analysis is entirely correct.

I will say that the transition to NWoD happened right as MET LARP was falling off. Back in say 99-02, it seemed like every town had at least one or two regular, well-attended LARPs that were as much social scene as game, but that was kind of faddish and eventually the people who were mostly there to hang out went and did other stuff with their Saturday nights. This happened at the same time that the NWoD transition was happening, and I remember a LOT of people who were upset about that and refused to pay Requiem. Between those two factors and many others (the decline of goth and goth aesthetics as the default alternative culture, for example), MET LARP has never been what it once was, and I don't really see anything that could bring it back to that point.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought it was because there was simply too much accumulated lore for them to market their products to anyone who wasn't already a longtime fan. I assume this also made it difficult to bring new writers onboard.
My pet belief was they ran out of books to publish. For Vampire they did two revisions of the core book, multiple historical sub-lines, multiple vampires-of-other-lands sub-lines, two full sets of clanbooks, citybooks for most every important city in the hemisphere, and sourcebooks for every possible aspect of the VtM setting (Havens! Ghouls! Dhampires! Inconnu!). Werewolf and Mage had similarly gone over the same ground multiple times. I'll be the sales numbers showed diminishing returns across the entire line.

Sometimes you just run out of stuff to publish, y'know? (This is a problem that is currently afflicting Paizo/Pathfinder)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think you even have to call that a pet belief. Any game line is going to see declining sales from a supplement treadmill business model, as you eventually run out of stuff to publish and make your setting intimidating to new people.

How many roleplaying games besides D&D have been able to use a new edition to make their product line better-selling than ever? Often a new edition corebook sells like hotcakes, especially if the line has been dwindling or out-of-print long enough to generate nostalgia, but I don't think the sales for Chronicles of Darkness approach the old game lines at their peak.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

FMguru posted:

Sometimes you just run out of stuff to publish, y'know? (This is a problem that is currently afflicting Paizo/Pathfinder)

I feel bad for them, because I have no interest in learning a new edition of Pathfinder but what else are they gonna publish?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think you even have to call that a pet belief. Any game line is going to see declining sales from a supplement treadmill business model, as you eventually run out of stuff to publish and make your setting intimidating to new people.

How many roleplaying games besides D&D have been able to use a new edition to make their product line better-selling than ever? Often a new edition corebook sells like hotcakes, especially if the line has been dwindling or out-of-print long enough to generate nostalgia, but I don't think the sales for Chronicles of Darkness approach the old game lines at their peak.

I think Paranoia sold better with its later editions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I feel bad for them, because I have no interest in learning a new edition of Pathfinder but what else are they gonna publish?

There's actually a fair number of supplements Paizo cancelled for one reason or another that they could have published, and if you look at a D&D supplement treadmill there's still some gaps missing. Like the very last hardcover rulebook they did was a Manual of the Planes equivalent, which is usually pretty popular in D&D's gameline. Hell, 5e got to it first!

I don't think it's a mistake for them to do PF 2e, but they did have another couple years of book ideas left just looking at my shelves. Sales numbers are a different thing, it's entirely possible that Bestiary 6 didn't do very well. Although Paizo figured out how to resell everyone everything midway through with a second format for the books, so that was nice.

Also it's amazing how much fresher and more interesting the books for NWoD were over OWoD, not having the metaplot really freed them to try cool new things and it was really nice!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I admit I find it a little exasperating that the documentary accused Requiem of being "rollplaying not roleplaying," when the principle difference is that Requiem books teach you how to build your own mythos instead of just giving it to you.

An actual unverifiable pet theory, in which I heartily believe, is that a significant portion of the WoD fanbase enjoyed reading the sourcebooks when they couldn't find anybody to play anything but D&D. Requiem spoils that. You can't be a lore nerd for a set of suggestions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

An actual unverifiable pet theory, in which I heartily believe, is that a significant portion of the WoD fanbase enjoyed reading the sourcebooks when they couldn't find anybody to play anything but D&D. Requiem spoils that. You can't be a lore nerd for a set of suggestions.

If that was ever true of Requiem it isn't any more, though. There are unsolved mysteries, sure, but the Clan Books if nothing else definitely put the final nail in that coffin.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, nWoD is a fully realized setting, just one with no 90s style metaplot and a lot of areas marked ‘here be dragons’.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Arivia posted:

I don't think it's a mistake for them to do PF 2e, but they did have another couple years of book ideas left just looking at my shelves. Sales numbers are a different thing, it's entirely possible that Bestiary 6 didn't do very well. Although Paizo figured out how to resell everyone everything midway through with a second format for the books, so that was nice.

I always wanted a Pathfinder monthly or bimonthly magazine.

It could have featured new monsters, NPCs, pre-genned characters, one off and serialized adventures, and obligatory product previews/reviews.

Maybe subscribers could get a small discount on Adventure paths as they're released.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget Martin also mandated that OPP Put that hilariously transphobic, mysogynistic, and transmysogynistic stuff into the last Werewolf book before OPP just washed their hands of the whole W20 thing

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget Martin also mandated that OPP Put that hilariously transphobic, mysogynistic, and transmysogynistic stuff into the last Werewolf book before OPP just washed their hands of the whole W20 thing

I'd really rather be allowed to forget that and move along :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I always wanted a Pathfinder monthly or bimonthly magazine.

It could have featured new monsters, NPCs, pre-genned characters, one off and serialized adventures, and obligatory product previews/reviews.

Maybe subscribers could get a small discount on Adventure paths as they're released.

That's basically what the APs and player companions were, really. APs always had more to them than just the adventure, and the player companions could be bought separately so you could just buy PC stuff without spoiling the adventure. Paizo specifically offered subscriptions knowing the magazine model works really well.

Player companions are going away with 2e, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Liquid Communism posted:

This fucker learned nothing from crashing an entire publishing house.
This is stupid for so many reasons but the main one is the idea that our current Hellworld 2019 really needs a made-up game of vampires and werewolves to really show us The Real Horror That Is All Around Us. I mean, you can watch livestreamed video from a religious massacre from any computer or handheld device, or watch ISIS burn captured POWs alive in cages, or read accounts of live-as-it-happens genocide from Yemen and Burma, or read an endless stream of news reports about the coming ecological collapse, or imminent arrival of The Handmaid's Tale in our red states, or watch Nazis march in the street and murder people while the President assures us they are "fine people". What, exactly, does adding clans of vampires to the real world do to make any of this more real or more horrifying?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MollyMetroid posted:

Is there some way that the targeted people can forget about this and move on, but the assholes who actually need the reminder that this is Bad and Not Acceptable have it tattooed into their brains?

(I know the answer is "fixing our broken society" but... Well. :( )

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Arivia posted:

There's actually a fair number of supplements Paizo cancelled for one reason or another that they could have published, and if you look at a D&D supplement treadmill there's still some gaps missing.

And yet they decided to publish child abuse gives you magic powers, promised to remove it and didn't. Almost as if they're a poo poo show of lies all over. From defending and covering for bill webb to dismissing complaints about Mentzer to tj aforementioned mechanically incentivised child abuse that they promised to remove and didn't.

And then we have their lovely behaviour over the total collapse of the starfinder miniature Kickstarter

It's almost as if they have consistently been a loving poo poo show of a company that might have decent line staff but whose management are toxic waste.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PST posted:

And yet they decided to publish child abuse gives you magic powers, promised to remove it and didn't. Almost as if they're a poo poo show of lies all over. From defending and covering for bill webb to dismissing complaints about Mentzer to tj aforementioned mechanically incentivised child abuse that they promised to remove and didn't.

And then we have their lovely behaviour over the total collapse of the starfinder miniature Kickstarter

It's almost as if they have consistently been a loving poo poo show of a company that might have decent line staff but whose management are toxic waste.

I don't disagree with this but it has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Thoughts:
- "Black Dog Blues"... well, Swedracula might have turned White Wolf into the edgy 1990s parody of itself it used to portray, but at least he owns that.
- In between the bad proofreading ("Word on Darkness" - OK, English as a second language gets you a certain amount of slack, but you shouldn't be making that mistake after spending 3 years immersed in the material professionally and longer than that as a hobbyist), there seems to be a lot of "history will prove me right!"
- Note that the closing from is from The Sisterhood - AKA, the name under which Andrew Eldritch put a quick album (Gift) to stop ex-Sisters of Mercy bandmates from using that name (they became the Mission instead) and to air grievances with them in a coded fashion. I think we can expect to see him sniping from the sidelines for a good while.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

quote:

I wanted to become known for making the darkest poo poo using the best tricks for playing on serious subjects from the progressive Nordic larp scene and as opposed to censoring, ignoring, simplifying or romanticizing our real world material. I wanted us to be known as the company that treated our players as competent adult individuals, fully capable of enjoying a satirical vision of our own world, where everything is tainted and nothing is what it seems.

At first I misread that as "the dankest poo poo" and then after reading the rest of that bit I'm not sure that wasn't what was intended.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Warthur posted:

- In between the bad proofreading ("Word on Darkness" - OK, English as a second language gets you a certain amount of slack, but you shouldn't be making that mistake after spending 3 years immersed in the material professionally and longer than that as a hobbyist), there seems to be a lot of "history will prove me right!"

(Highly proficient) Non-native speakers are often actually much better proof-readers because they're more hyper-aware of weird spelling nonsense since they learned it as adults. E.g. some random German person is less likely to confuse they're/there/their than a native English speaker.

This isn't an English specific thing, it's just a thing about learning a second language as an adult. This is why my spelling in French is waaaaaaay better than in English or German.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If he wants to embrace Nordic LARP so much he should just stay contained within that community.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Ahh gently caress. Not sure how this one got overlooked, as it's going to be a big pain in the rear end for... basically every Kickstarter going forward/currently in the process of production.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My impression of the Nordic LARP scene is...not one that would be welcoming to a guy whose ambition is to become the Supreme Leader Edgelord.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Warthur posted:

At first I misread that as "the dankest poo poo" and then after reading the rest of that bit I'm not sure that wasn't what was intended.
He probably meant darkest considering he kept turning his nose up at OP's Chronic-cles of Darkness.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Martin Ericsson posted:

I wanted to make something as different and real as the punk visions of the original creation.

Martin Ericsson posted:

For now, allow me to just say that my brand work and subject matter choices always intended to bring WoD uncomfortably close to reality, letting us explore the worst parts of our world by mixing real horrors with metaphorical ones. I wanted to use WoD as a vehicle for awareness building and human rights advocacy. I wanted to show real evils by placing them next to fictitious ones.

Martin Ericsson posted:

I wanted to become known for making the darkest poo poo using the best tricks for playing on serious subjects from the progressive Nordic larp scene and as opposed to censoring, ignoring, simplifying or romanticizing our real world material.

Martin Ericsson posted:

It’s been real.

"Realism" is most often a refuge of the regressive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Realism" is most often a refuge of the regressive.
I just clicked over to the front page of the Guardian (US edition): https://www.theguardian.com/us

It's stories include:
- Officer shoots dead woman on video saying 'I'm pregnant'
- Germany's hard-right party embraces climate denial
- 'It goes after Roe directly': Alabama's abortion bill set to go before state senate
- Lawyers in wrongful death lawsuit say evidence was destroyed
- Stan Lee business manager charged with elder abuse
- Opinion: We've run out of elections to waste - this is the last chance to make a difference on climate change (Bill McKibben)

Plus articles about the slow motion attempted coup in Venezuela, the rise of antisemitism, accusations of abuse in a migrant detention center, and a live stream of terrible news about the ongoing subversion of democracy in the Trump administration.

The lead story in the NYT over the weekend was about Syria's network of torture prisons: "Nearly 128,000 have never emerged, and are presumed to be either dead or still in custody, according to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, an independent monitoring group that keeps the most rigorous tally. Nearly 14,000 were “killed under torture.” Many prisoners die from conditions so dire that a United Nations investigation labeled the process “extermination.”"

Boy, I sure am glad there's a Swedish guy who thinks he's Dracula working hard out there keeping it real. My goodness, just think of what a comfy little blinkered suburban cocoon we'd all be trapped in if this guy wasn't out there being all in our faces with his stories about trans vampires in Chechnya or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait is he ruining Black Dog Games now? Because if anyone can, it's him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

No, he just named his blog after it because that imprint represents everything he wants the WoD to be

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

No. Black Dog Games is a white wolf imprint, so whoever owns the rights to White Wolf (paradox) has the rights to Black Dog Games...

He's basically banking on Paradox not wanting to sue him for brand confusion with his Freelance gaming blog called "Black Dog Blues".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well huh. I guess that's kinda good? I mean he's gone but that's still some brand confusion.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

FMguru posted:

My pet belief was they ran out of books to publish. For Vampire they did two revisions of the core book, multiple historical sub-lines, multiple vampires-of-other-lands sub-lines, two full sets of clanbooks, citybooks for most every important city in the hemisphere, and sourcebooks for every possible aspect of the VtM setting (Havens! Ghouls! Dhampires! Inconnu!). Werewolf and Mage had similarly gone over the same ground multiple times. I'll be the sales numbers showed diminishing returns across the entire line.

Its less pet theory and more explicitly stated fact. Rich Thomas at OPP has written blog posts stating that the supplement treadmill was earning less and less with each new supplement. Ending the oWoD was predicated in big part of trying to deal with this, and while it might not have been the only solution, Sweddracula's nostalgic alt-history that the oWoD was chugging along fine was BS.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

Its less pet theory and more explicitly stated fact. Rich Thomas at OPP has written blog posts stating that the supplement treadmill was earning less and less with each new supplement. Ending the oWoD was predicated in big part of trying to deal with this, and while it might not have been the only solution, Sweddracula's nostalgic alt-history that the oWoD was chugging along fine was BS.

Well, Swedracula's primary interaction with the world of darkness was through the LARP community, which resisted the change over to nWoD hard because it would mean abandoning all the built up overpowered Methuselah characters they had 'earned' their shared storytelling experience.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

I wish I could forget it, because it poisons the memories of the last W20 book I developed.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

PinheadSlim posted:

Maybe it's all a ruse and right before 2e goes to print there'll be a guerilla kickstarter campaign for pathfinderfinder, the pathfinder clone of parhfinder because the game was already perfect, goddamn it!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

And Pathfinderfinder will just be 4e with a half assed find and replace for all the buzzwords people hated.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

4e without keywords sounds like literal actual hell.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kurieg posted:

Well, Swedracula's primary interaction with the world of darkness was through the LARP community, which resisted the change over to nWoD hard because it would mean abandoning all the built up overpowered Methuselah characters they had 'earned' their shared storytelling experience.

I'm not sure he's ever played MET and I always get the impression he thinks MET is for dorks. And it is, but that doesn't make the poo poo he likes Nordic LARPs for good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kurieg posted:

4e without keywords sounds like literal actual hell.

But *~^~^natural language^~^~*.

I’m joking it would be a nightmare. I love 4e and think it’s possibly the best D&D but jesus loving christ it had too many fiddly bits. It’s just more prominent because it didn’t hide its fiddliness and just wore that on its sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

And Pathfinderfinder will just be 4e with a half assed find and replace for all the buzzwords people hated.

this is already what PF2e is