Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I forgot you could turn off weather. I always seemed to embark in areas that get tons of precipitation, so... stonesense? I think? the sound and music program, would constantly play rain and snowstorm sound effects. It got depressing for me after a while of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I forgot to set a sensible child limit before embark and now i have like 40 of the drat things. If i just wait a decade I'll get a bunch of haulers...

I also miss the time when population didn't grow so fast through migrant waves. Well, it seemed like it anyway. I'm always at about 150 by end of the second year nowadays.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah, i wish you could set a maximum per wave. just send me like ten at a time not 35

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Thanks for that link to the current Toady immersion controversy. Depressing hilarity seems to have ensued. I am a fan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah, i wish you could set a maximum per wave. just send me like ten at a time not 35

You can sort of do this by setting the strict population limit and raising it a little at a time. I think with DFHack you can even do it from within the game, no save / edit / reload required.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So what's the best way to handle job optimization?

I used to use Dwarf Therapist but no matter what settings i use it always just seems to want to make everyone a hauler. I swear it used to be easier but maybe I'm still just an idiot.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
If you don't want to do any management just use DFHack's autolabor (or the labormanager version below).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sankis posted:

So what's the best way to handle job optimization?

I used to use Dwarf Therapist but no matter what settings i use it always just seems to want to make everyone a hauler. I swear it used to be easier but maybe I'm still just an idiot.

Are you mixing up Dwarf Therapist with autolabor? Therapist is just an alternative UI so you can set jobs yourself without having to go through all the horrible in-game menus.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are you mixing up Dwarf Therapist with autolabor? Therapist is just an alternative UI so you can set jobs yourself without having to go through all the horrible in-game menus.

Therapist has a labor manager where you specify rules and it applies them. But its way more complicated to use than autolabor/labormanager in DFHack (for me, at least).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was talking about the optimizer inside Therapist. I should have been more clear.

I seem to remember it being easier to use but apparently my memory is bad.

Autolabor sounds like what i actually want. I didn't realize it was so in depth. Is there any kind of performance hit with it?

I'm trying to make my fort pretty before my FPS gets too bad. I can not tolerate any slackers!!!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't really used it on a large fort (I prefer to manage them myself), but it shouldn't be much of a performance hit (if at all).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So I seeded the opening of a character sheet into Talk To Transformer...

:magical:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 14, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That's amazing, holy poo poo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

scamtank posted:

i should remind you all that toady tried literal crack once, thought that he liked it but that's probably how an addict would think and never touched it again

please elaborate/link, this sounds... bizarro

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
As I recall Toady was very depressed during his grad school career (Maths, Stanford iirc) so he tried meth once.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Meth was mentioned in the NYT article and he elaborated that later (can't remember/find where).
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah I don't think Toady not wanting to do drugs again is some feat of strength, p sure it's just a square nerd freaking out about where his life is going

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's also worth noting that very very few drugs are capable of causing full-blown addiction after only initial experimentation. Even the more notoriously addictive substances mainly have that reputation because the people getting hooked on them are usually stuck in the kinds of lovely circumstances that drive people to self-medicate anyway.

"Tried meth, enjoyed it, and promptly never did it again" is still a funny anecdote though (and feels like a distinctly Toady anecdote, too, somehow). Just another wacky little detail spat out by the procedural story generator of life.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
We're going to need a new overseer for the current succession LP in June. The fort, "Valleysilences" is built into the side of an evil volcano, has begun adamantine extraction, has two resident werepanthers, and is poised to become the dwarven capital in the next year.

Please chime in if you'd like to keep these plates spinning. :regd08:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

So Math posted:

We're going to need a new overseer for the current succession LP in June. The fort, "Valleysilences" is built into the side of an evil volcano, has begun adamantine extraction, has two resident werepanthers, and is poised to become the dwarven capital in the next year.

Please chime in if you'd like to keep these plates spinning. :regd08:

Don't feel like providing a link?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851331

Here you are

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

How do I fix the "cancels drink: job item lost or destroyed" spam from dwarves spilling their drinks (and wasting dozens, or hundreds, of drink items?)

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Sankis posted:

How do I fix the "cancels drink: job item lost or destroyed" spam from dwarves spilling their drinks (and wasting dozens, or hundreds, of drink items?)

I have never heard of this. Is this from bar fights or something? Usually I only see drink cancellations from a dwarf grabbing and moving a barrel of drinks.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Started a new game and like ten minutes into it, one of my original seven just decided to become a king of of nowhere :what:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

blinking beacon nose posted:

Started a new game and like ten minutes into it, one of my original seven just decided to become a king of of nowhere :what:

Did the dwarf civ get wiped out?

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

kidkissinger posted:

Did the dwarf civ get wiped out?

Dunno, but that'd make sense. It was also my first game on a brand new world IIRC. I might have to take that world out of the Recycle Bin and post it here

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I noticed something in this week's :black101:Valleysilences:black101: update where a mechanic ignored burrows to link a lever to a floodgate. I'm going to guess that the game only checked that the lever was inside the burrow and didn't care that the floodgate was outside of it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Huh. Reminds me of the old Planepacked bug.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Can enemies pass a door diagonally from above? Like if I have

=#=
=..=

And on the z level above there's no floor above the door

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/343859/QA_Dissecting_the_development_of_Dwarf_Fortress_with_creator_Tarn_Adams.php

Q&A with Tarn.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Thanks for posting, it's a good read, especially the world gen breakdown, even if a lot of it is common interview material for him.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Can enemies pass a door diagonally from above? Like if I have

=#=
=..=

And on the z level above there's no floor above the door

If they can climb to it they will.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how stable is masterworks? I have a savegame that consistently crashes a month or two in as a human fortress that was going rather smoothly.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/1610515908963717519

quote:

Hello!

As we noted in the last news post, I'm finishing up the villain work that was in progress before we move on to getting the Steam release together, and this work had just hit the 'post world generation' phase, where we take our foundational but abstract data and code that was used to make the world's history and get it into a form that can be used in player fortresses and in Dwarf Fortress's RPG mode. In the previous post, I'd just finished a basic assassination plot.

The next step was to get the villain's lieutenants and handlers to work with assassins. In our existing plots from DF history generation, the villains don't always contact the assassin directly, in order to better conceal their identities. This adds some complications once you get into play, because the villain needs to contact the handler, and then the handler needs to hire the assassin, and each of these pairs need to meet in some location, which isn't always simple since the desired assassin (or the handler) might be doing something else, making an immediate meeting impossible. There are various sorts of possible missed connections, some unavoidable, but the basic two-step plots are working now.

However, sometimes a villain or handler is just too important to go on a lengthy secret trip (they are a ruler, say). To solve this problem, I've allowed sufficiently important people to send messages more abstractly. An important villain might send a message to a handler, who then travels physically to hire an assassin, or a villain might physically travel to speak to a highly-placed corrupt official, who then sends word to an assassin via message. The messages still take time to travel, and they'll be a form of evidence when we get to the investigation process, where you as a fortress mode player or adventurer are trying to unravel whatever plot you've encountered.

But in most situations, there will be people moving around, going about villainous business, and these will be the same people that arrive at your tavern in fort mode, looking to meet a conspirator or otherwise cause trouble for you.

Some supporting features from history generation have also needed to make the transition to play. For instance, as I mentioned last time, we added some religious information (on top of mercenaries, merchant companies, etc.) in order to give the villains more connections for their plots, and I spent some time transferring that into a form that can be used once play starts. Each culture now tracks religious demographics and certain historical data (such as persecution and famous sermons) in a way that the in-play civilians can see. These include dwarves immigrating to your fortress, and the people you meet as adventurer.

Additionally, I began updating the other (non-assassination) plots - there's still a bit to do there, right where the action of the plot happens (whether it's sabotage or a theft), but they mostly use the same code, because concepts like 'handlers' work the same regardless of the plot.

- Tarn

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm going to be extremely naive and hold out hope for a 2020 Steam release

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You think the wait until the Steam release is long, wait until you hear about what he literally calls "The Big Wait" that's happening after that release.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 29, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Steam release is 1.0 :haw:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Today I could not get a woodcutter to cut any wood. I went into other dwarves' inventories who were holding axes and asked them to dump them, but i guess they didn't because the woodcutter never actually got hold of one to start cutting things :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

Today I could not get a woodcutter to cut any wood. I went into other dwarves' inventories who were holding axes and asked them to dump them, but i guess they didn't because the woodcutter never actually got hold of one to start cutting things :(
Things that are Dumped become forbidden, did you go find the garbage dump zone you made so they have somewhere to Dump things and unforbid the axes after they put them there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

tote up a bags posted:

Were they holding them because they were in the military?