Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Sounds like Evo psych minus the overt misogyny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

Sounds like Evo psych minus the overt misogyny

Whenever people start getting speculative about the social sciences you see the skull calipers come out real quick

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hey, Axed is supposed to be goofy violent comedy, it's not allowed to make me sad!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Hey, Axed is supposed to be goofy violent comedy, it's not allowed to make me sad!

Jeez. That's pretty real and then pretty sad.

I know it's calibrated for phones and people who just love swiping every which way, but I still hate scrolling through infinite canvas. Half the time individual panels don't even fit all on the screen at once.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, it's part of the reason I can only really stand to follow maybe 2 Webtoons. They're SUCH a chore to read. I like it when a comic very sparingly uses the technique for dramatic and/or emotional effect (Octopus Pie being the absolute best example) but when it's every single page it loses its appeal. It also makes them impossible (or at least difficult) to release in physical form.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

is there an incredibly good plot-related reason for the transcribed babytalk voice

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just assumed she was from the dino-south.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just assumed she was from the dino-south.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a Scottish accent, since I'm pretty sure that's the Loch Ness Monster.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is there an incredibly good plot-related reason for the transcribed babytalk voice

That's a scottish brogue. She's Nessie.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, it's part of the reason I can only really stand to follow maybe 2 Webtoons. They're SUCH a chore to read. I like it when a comic very sparingly uses the technique for dramatic and/or emotional effect (Octopus Pie being the absolute best example) but when it's every single page it loses its appeal. It also makes them impossible (or at least difficult) to release in physical form.

That some webtoons have all the pacing of an ant pushing a brick in the middle of a black hole and a subset of that has some of the most unlikable protagonists I’ve had the misfortune to come across (seriously, I’m hoping the end of Unordinary is a meteor wiping the planet of super sociopaths the gently caress out) absolutely doesn’t help.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
today on never satisfied:

:haw: :haw: :haw:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 10, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The author's notes on that page are pretty wild, since they more or less lay out all the stuff we've been theorizing about when taking Never Satisfied and this chapter.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ok that joke would have gone better if I knew how to make a low res pic hi res but thats literally my first attempt at image manipulation so whatevs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
i dont get it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: idk either?

no peony

never meet your heroes

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the joke is her smile and nose are incredibly powerful

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That full page panel is pretty heartbreaking, you can see pretty clearly in Tobi's face that he'd prefer not to have to offer housing to Lucy but is being guilted into it, and you can see pretty clearly in Lucy's face that they can tell :(

Also now I'm shipping Tobi and Lucy and YOU CAN'T STOP ME

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 10, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

The author's notes on that page are pretty wild, since they more or less lay out all the stuff we've been theorizing about when taking Never Satisfied and this chapter.

You know.... given the nature of webcomic readers and the dire state of close readings in popular media nowadays, I have to admit this is a good idea and I wouldn't mind more of it elsewhere.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hussie used to explain the story and easily-missed minor details with in-comic recaps, back when Homestuck was an actually manageable creature and not the horrendous gone-horribly-right monster it ended up as.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kinda weird to see Lalli actually able to talk to people. It must have been months in universe since he had someone he could speak with other than Onni (before Onni shitted off to wherever anti-social Finnish mages poo poo off to).

Also, I can't believe that someone let Reynir back out into the world, mages are rare and useful and he's not immune!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
:nms: today on wilde life: a good doggo :3: :nms: (minor gore)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Hussie used to explain the story and easily-missed minor details with in-comic recaps, back when Homestuck was an actually manageable creature and not the horrendous gone-horribly-right monster it ended up as.

Oh yeah, I remeber those from when I read HS. They ruled.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

That's a scottish brogue. She's Nessie.

It absolutely is not, is the thing. And also her kids don't have it. And also it's so bad. "Joost"? Come on, man.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah if it's more important to you that your writing is legible or can be taken seriously than that it reads like a weirdly racist 1920s pulp novel maybe lay off phonetically transcribing the funny ethnic accents

or like, take a couple minutes to look at how actual scottish people write out scottish dialect

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 14, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Writing phonetic accents is almost always a terrible idea. Word choices and slang usage are often much better at establishing a regional voice than any attempt at an accent, which almost always comes off as either unreadable, exaggerated to racist levels or both.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I've always been vaguely confused about what sort of accent, say, Scary Go Round characters have, because they aren't really written with anything of that nature except for dropping Gs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I've always been vaguely confused about what sort of accent, say, Scary Go Round characters have, because they aren't really written with anything of that nature except for dropping Gs.

English midlands, bruv!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

or like, take a couple minutes to look at how actual scottish people write out scottish dialect

Scotsperson twitter is a delight. And realistic, I once stayed in Edinburgh at a b&b where half of the proprietors couldn't understand us and we couldn't understand him, so we both needed his wife to translate for us for anything more complicated than "tea."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

English midlands, bruv!

Tackleford is in Yorkshire, but trying to read it with a Yorkshire accent often doesn't work.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Isn't John Allison from Yorkshire, though? And at least per his Tumblr the characters are supposed to have a Yorkshire accent. I wonder what the characters sound like in his head.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Tackleford's in West Yorkshire, according to this map, anyway..

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Isn't John Allison from Yorkshire, though? And at least per his Tumblr the characters are supposed to have a Yorkshire accent. I wonder what the characters sound like in his head.

From, but he's said in the past that he hasn't lived in Yorkshire for a long time.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, anyone not already reading Kill Six Billion Demons needs to get in, because Gog-Agog is in town and everyone loves Gog-Agog.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'll confess to loving gog-agog

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Mors Rattus posted:

Writing phonetic accents is almost always a terrible idea. Word choices and slang usage are often much better at establishing a regional voice than any attempt at an accent, which almost always comes off as either unreadable, exaggerated to racist levels or both.
One of Robert Rankin's books featured a character that spoke in an excruciating phonetic Scottish accent. After a couple of appearances there's a note from the author basically saying "okay you get the idea, I'm going to stop doing that now", which I appreciated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I put up with it in Claremont's X-Men for a couple decades but that's painful to go back over now. Och wee ya noo.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jonathan Dalton is doing a take on BC, 3 eps so far
http://www.jonathondalton.com/?p=2662
http://www.jonathondalton.com/?p=2664
http://www.jonathondalton.com/?p=2665

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

:hmmyes:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

not one jesus so far

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

These website has hella malware redirects going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

These website has hella malware redirects going on.

I'm not seeing anything? Tried in a couple browsers.