Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

Not gonna ask about spoilers but I’m real curious how you became a beta reader.

Short answer: Nepotism.

Long answer: Friend by marriage, attended his wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I read October Man over the weekend. It was excellent. Not the best thing in the series or anything -- the main characters are very german and lack Peter and Nightingale's flair -- but entertaining. Mostly worth reading for the German perspective on Aaronovitch's setting.

Anyway, really came here to post this:

https://twitter.com/Ben_Aaronovitch/status/1129407678042771456

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh, so Ghosts of Gotham is connected to the Faust-verse after all (or at least the Faust-multiverse). Didn't expect that after what I'd read going in. Wonder if it'll actually properly cross over. I loved Wisdom's Grave, so hoping it'll happen. That's a really strong run by Schaeffer now. Hopefully he knows what he's doing with Harmony Black and it won't break the streak.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Junkenstein posted:

Hopefully he knows what he's doing with Harmony Black and it won't break the streak.

He's said that he's changed up his approach to Harmony Black now that he isn't beholden to a publisher with the series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Junkenstein posted:

Oh, so Ghosts of Gotham is connected to the Faust-verse after all (or at least the Faust-multiverse). Didn't expect that after what I'd read going in. Wonder if it'll actually properly cross over. I loved Wisdom's Grave, so hoping it'll happen.

It's not according to his blog:

quote:

(Long story short, all the Daniel Faust and Faust-adjacent series are in the First Story continuity, while Gotham and its followups are in the new, unconnected Secret History universe. And as for the Charlie McCabe books…well, that’ll be a challenge for sharp-eyed readers to figure out sometime next year.)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dilber posted:

It's not according to his blog:

Yeah, that's why I was surprised to see The Lady in Red, the King of Lament, the smell of roses.....

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, that's why I was surprised to see The Lady in Red, the King of Lament, the smell of roses.....

Similar imagery and archetypes but I don’t think they were actually those characters.

Post-Wisdom Graves Spoiler:
The Faustverse is heavily Judeo-Christian influenced with only a smattering of characters that might not have come from the Goddess of the Universe or her sad offspring. The enemy and the Rakshasa are the only ones I can think of but they might be easily explained in a future book.

Gotham has a very different mythology so far. Magic is abundant and doesn’t immediately appear to be coming from the same tainted (or now pure) source as Faustverse. Hekate and her daughters have strong similarities to the lady and the Cutting Knives but seem to be something else so far. So far we’ve seen more Greek/Roman influences than Judeo-Christian.

I don’t think the creature on the other side of the portal was a king either. Just some kind of anti-life being.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lawlicaust posted:

Similar imagery and archetypes but I don’t think they were actually those characters.

Post-Wisdom Graves Spoiler:
The Faustverse is heavily Judeo-Christian influenced with only a smattering of characters that might not have come from the Goddess of the Universe or her sad offspring. The enemy and the Rakshasa are the only ones I can think of but they might be easily explained in a future book.

Gotham has a very different mythology so far. Magic is abundant and doesn’t immediately appear to be coming from the same tainted (or now pure) source as Faustverse. Hekate and her daughters have strong similarities to the lady and the Cutting Knives but seem to be something else so far. So far we’ve seen more Greek/Roman influences than Judeo-Christian.

I don’t think the creature on the other side of the portal was a king either. Just some kind of anti-life being.

Yeah, it absolutely doesn't fit at the moment, based on what we learn in Wisdom's Grave, but the little things seems a bit more than easter eggs to me, especially since they're directly related to multiverse poo poo like the smell of roses when portals open.

The antagonist says he's going to become the Prince of Lament and one of the ships in Bring the Fire belongs to the King of Lament. Seems an odd choice if they're not related.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
My theory (also post-Wisdoms Grave spoilers): The caretaker in Heaven says that Sophia left for a while, and speculates that she "stepped sideways into some other multiverse" before she came back and was murdered. Structurally, the Faustverse is Gnostic/Judeo-Christian with the exception of the rakshasa (and Naavarasi has lied about so much poo poo at this point that nothing she says can be trusted) and one lone actual goddess, the Lady in Red. While the Ghosts-verse, on the other hand, is basically Greek: the Greek gods, muses and myths are all real there.

I think the two settings are side by side, walled off from each other. Sophia either created the Gotham-verse when she went wandering or she found it already there, visited, and left again. Hekate and the Lady in Red are the same person, and the reason she's unique in the Faust multiverse is because she's not a native: as the goddess of witches, she found a way to breach the wall between settings the same way Sophia did, maybe by following Sophia's trail.

Schaefer being Schaefer, he wrote an entire sequel to Gotham, decided it sucked, and threw it in the trash to start all over again. The new book is a stand-alone with new characters set in the same world, and he updated his blog with a synopsis: "The working title (which will probably get changed) is The Hungry Dreaming, in which a modern-day investigation into the byzantine bureaucracy of New York’s Emergency Management Department leads to a conspiracy with its roots in the American Revolution. It involves Alexander Hamilton (and his true, secret mission at the Battle of Yorktown), the Culper spy network, the execution of Benedict Arnold, a renegade goddess, and the power of truth in a post-truth world. (And if your reaction to that is “but Benedict Arnold was never executed,” you are correct. Or are you?)"

Also the new Harmony book has been totally finished for months but he can't release any self-pubbed stuff within X months of his trad-pubbed books because contracts, so he has to sit on it for now, and the new Faust is with his editor.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

StonecutterJoe posted:

My theory (also post-Wisdoms Grave spoilers): The caretaker in Heaven says that Sophia left for a while, and speculates that she "stepped sideways into some other multiverse" before she came back and was murdered. Structurally, the Faustverse is Gnostic/Judeo-Christian with the exception of the rakshasa (and Naavarasi has lied about so much poo poo at this point that nothing she says can be trusted) and one lone actual goddess, the Lady in Red. While the Ghosts-verse, on the other hand, is basically Greek: the Greek gods, muses and myths are all real there.

I think the two settings are side by side, walled off from each other. Sophia either created the Gotham-verse when she went wandering or she found it already there, visited, and left again. Hekate and the Lady in Red are the same person, and the reason she's unique in the Faust multiverse is because she's not a native: as the goddess of witches, she found a way to breach the wall between settings the same way Sophia did, maybe by following Sophia's trail.

Schaefer being Schaefer, he wrote an entire sequel to Gotham, decided it sucked, and threw it in the trash to start all over again. The new book is a stand-alone with new characters set in the same world, and he updated his blog with a synopsis: "The working title (which will probably get changed) is The Hungry Dreaming, in which a modern-day investigation into the byzantine bureaucracy of New York’s Emergency Management Department leads to a conspiracy with its roots in the American Revolution. It involves Alexander Hamilton (and his true, secret mission at the Battle of Yorktown), the Culper spy network, the execution of Benedict Arnold, a renegade goddess, and the power of truth in a post-truth world. (And if your reaction to that is “but Benedict Arnold was never executed,” you are correct. Or are you?)"

Also the new Harmony book has been totally finished for months but he can't release any self-pubbed stuff within X months of his trad-pubbed books because contracts, so he has to sit on it for now, and the new Faust is with his editor.

The man is a machine. How does he pump out so many words? And they are still high quality.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I don't know anything about the metalore stuff, but I finished Ghosts of Gotham and really enjoyed it. Although I preferred the parts before the supernatural stuff started happening.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Scorchy posted:

I don't know anything about the metalore stuff, but I finished Ghosts of Gotham and really enjoyed it. Although I preferred the parts before the supernatural stuff started happening.

He's got a noir-y non-supernatural book coming out soon (because of course he loving does), so that bodes well for that I guess.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
So good omens has landed and apparently so has the first few episodes of the Rook

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

So good omens has landed and apparently so has the first few episodes of the Rook

Google says The Rook is still a month away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sloth Life posted:

Watched it last night. It's pretty good.

I think Amazon's binge it all at once structure doesn't work as well for building buzz as once a week releases.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Google says The Rook is still a month away.

You are right, 30 June, I'm sorry.

Good Omens: I'm charmed by Aziraphael. Not a Tennant fan. Lots of "Hey! It's that Guy/Gal" going on which is fun. Surprised by some of the star power they managed to get.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 1, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was a little wary of Good Omens (it's been one of my favorite books for something like half my life) but I thought it was, while not perfect, very good.

And I am a Tennant fan but Michael Sheen's performance as Aziraphale was probably my favorite thing in the show.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sheen was perfect. Tennent was good.

Third episode, which opened with a bunch of vignettes about the two, was my favorite part.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Trailer for The Rook is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeREWeYsvls

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Looks alright to me.

Is that handsome black dude supposed to be Conrad Grantchester?

And did I miss Alrich? I really want to see what they do with him.

His casual, yet overwhelming, weirdness is one of my favorite things from the book. There's always something off about him in every scene. Sometimes it's his hair, sometimes his clothes, sometimes the fact that he's "casually ripping the arms off".

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Achievement Unlocked: We Liked That Version of Mad World, Too
Use a slower, gender-screwed version of a song for your drama trailer

It looks fine, it'll probably be fine. I wonder if this'll be one season and done or if they're going to do Stiletto next.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

It looked like a gritty, dark version. I enjoyed the whimsy as much as anything else and this looks like it’ll be...unwhimsy. It’ll be need if they use the video files in place of her infodump binders.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
IDK if Starz just has a particularly lovely style of trailer, but the tone seems completely wrong. Hopefully it's not lovely.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not weird and supernatural enough, imo. Though hopefully they are just saving the good stuff?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It really sounds like they're trying to make all of the Checquy's agents out to be some flavor of psychic instead of magical, which is... not good, considering one of them being a straight up vampire is a core conceit of the book. The Checquy is supposed to be way, waaaaay beyond "the farthest reach of human biology".

quote:

Is that handsome black dude supposed to be Conrad Grantchester?
Wikipedia says yes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

navyjack posted:

It looked like a gritty, dark version. I enjoyed the whimsy as much as anything else and this looks like it’ll be...unwhimsy. It’ll be need if they use the video files in place of her infodump binders.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The Checquy is supposed to be way, waaaaay beyond "the farthest reach of human biology".

To me, these both read as compulsory concessions to the medium. Whimsy is tough to sustain in serialized drama, especially when it's attempting to counterbalance more serious elements. What often results is clunky tonal dissonance.

As for toning down the supernatural, that screams budget limitations. It's a lot cheaper to cut the giant flesh cube and have most of the power usage present as actors grimacing and emoting really hard.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finally decided to sit down and knuckle through the faust larger series, and I'm not far into Harmony black - hope it improves because it's *really* not pulling in my attention.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
What I don't get is the trafficking angle. Quote: "like all rare and valuable things, EVA's are being trafficked." It's been a while since I read the book but that was never a real thing was it? I hope this doesn't mean they're skipping over the Grafters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wahad posted:

What I don't get is the trafficking angle. Quote: "like all rare and valuable things, EVA's are being trafficked." It's been a while since I read the book but that was never a real thing was it? I hope this doesn't mean they're skipping over the Grafters.

It was there. The phony Estate was acquiring kids (both with and without powers) through illegal means. It wasn't called trafficking, but it was trafficking.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

ConfusedUs posted:

It was there. The phony Estate was acquiring kids (both with and without powers) through illegal means. It wasn't called trafficking, but it was trafficking.

Ooooh, right. drat, I didn't even think of that. I guess the fact that the trailer said it made me think they were gonna put more of an emphasis on it, but I guess that's not the worst thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tithin posted:

Finally decided to sit down and knuckle through the faust larger series, and I'm not far into Harmony black - hope it improves because it's *really* not pulling in my attention.

Harmony Black is easily the worst of all Schaefer's series; something he largely blames on publisher interference making him add a bunch of stuff (a romance angle, etc) that he didn't want to add.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I like the Harmony Black books but lady autist lead character, lady beast co lead is a hard sell outside of paranormal romance.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tithin posted:

Harmony Black is easily skippable imo

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It might help to read Harmony to understand why Jessie can go head to head with Nyx but other than that, you could probably skip most of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wisdom’s Grave is definitely not skippable

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fallom posted:

Wisdom’s Grave is definitely not skippable

Same goes for the Revanche Cycle, because the payoff in Wisdom's Grave loses a bit without that backstory.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How heavy is Wisdom's Grave on sex scenes? I remember Schaefer being really bad at those.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

anilEhilated posted:

How heavy is Wisdom's Grave on sex scenes? I remember Schaefer being really bad at those.

There's some BDSM stuff but it's mostly foreplay with fade to black before the actual sex. Unless I just skimmed them and don't remember the details.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
There is a new mercy Thompson book out, and she's back on form after a few slightly disappointing ones. The "not like other girls" trope is still strong but it's a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm 5 books through the Rivers of London series (boy those are fun reads), and I was curious- is the implication supposed to be that Lesley teamed up with the faceless man in book 3 or 4, or that she was working for him all along? I originally assumed that she'd been turned sometime during the night witch book (since she told their captors to call the faceless man before executing her), but a friend of mine assumed that she was a mole from the very start, since it's kinda weird that she taught herself lux after seeing it once or twice.