Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

wdarkk posted:

Is there any way to paint a thing entirely glowing yellow without it looking like an enchanted piss forest?

I'll let you decide if it looks like a piss forrest, but here's one I did in yellow. (some blue too, but I've covered that before)

1) Basic gist, paint the model as normal, then from where you want the light to be emitted from make a VERY thin glaze of brown and work it outwards from the source. The Glaze should be so thin that it's barely visible over the existing paint, it'll also be runny as hell so apply it carefully.

2) On the light source paint the tiniest amount of Ulthuan Grey, then use a yellow to hit the raised edges closet to the source and materials that would more likely reflect the light (Edge of hammer, claws on pelt, metal bits on this guy etc..)

3) Glaze over the whole thing in Lamenters Yellow, including the brown glaze, to tie the colours together. In the deep recesses that are in the area of effect use a bit of the thinned orange, or some orange shade to exaggerate the shadows.

Keep playing with 2 and 3 until it looks more realistic. It's a lot of trial and error and it's a pain if you mess up step 1 by making the initial brown glaze to opaque as it's going to require repainting areas in a mix of their original colour + brown to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

A long time ago I asked about a recommendation for a cheap lightbox, and someone also posted a site where you could print off the cool marbled-looking background sheets instead of just having plain black or white, but apparently I forgot to bookmark it. Anybody happen to have a link to that, or know what I'm talking about?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
What kind of bases would thematically be appropriate for Slaanesh units? I really like Syll'Esske (MasterBlaster) for some reason, and was wondering how to base it. I had thought about trying to glue a mirror onto the base, but that seems difficult. Any other ideas?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Goblin green

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gaussian posted:

What kind of bases would thematically be appropriate for Slaanesh units? I really like Syll'Esske (MasterBlaster) for some reason, and was wondering how to base it. I had thought about trying to glue a mirror onto the base, but that seems difficult. Any other ideas?

A peppermint swirl pattern but in purple and pink. :thunk:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

perfect for Slaanesh

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
^i like these.

I also like the idea of a mirror but that seems like an insane amount of effort.

I’ve seen people do clear bases before, so that they always match the table, but it never looks great imo

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

^i like these.

I also like the idea of a mirror but that seems like an insane amount of effort.

I’ve seen people do clear bases before, so that they always match the table, but it never looks great imo

Clear bases look like poo poo after you play with them 3 times when they are all scratched up

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Imo clear bases look fine on printed battlemats, but look weird on handmade terrain.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Booley posted:

Clear bases look like poo poo after you play with them 3 times when they are all scratched up

I dislike them also, but scratches can be fixed by dunking in Klear. Historicals do it with cockpits to clean them up.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I dislike them also, but scratches can be fixed by dunking in Klear. Historicals do it with cockpits to clean them up.

Do you really want to do that every few games?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Good lord no. I was just trying to be helpful.

You know me, always shilling for big Klear.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Good lord no. I was just trying to be helpful.

You know me, always shilling for big Klear.

I think 'ardcoat would work better than Klear. Comes in a more convenient pot to apply with a brush and goes on thicker for more protection.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gorilla Glass bases when?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I meant to post this question here but put it in the 40k thread by mistake: Has anyone ever seen an example of edge highlighting black armour with a gloss varnish instead of a normal edge highlight? I saw it mentioned in a comment section somewhere, but they didn’t have any examples.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Not perfect, but he's done. Wish I'd spent more time on mould lines, done better with gaps, did smoother & cleaner lines for highlights and left a few things alone.

That said, I had a ball and learnt a lot. I know where I need to practice and I intend to do exactly that, and do another of these models in a few months to see my progress.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

A long time ago I asked about a recommendation for a cheap lightbox, and someone also posted a site where you could print off the cool marbled-looking background sheets instead of just having plain black or white, but apparently I forgot to bookmark it. Anybody happen to have a link to that, or know what I'm talking about?

Maybe Massive Voodoo?

The synergy between the avatar image and post is amazing.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 15, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Making slow but steady progress through the Chaos half of Shadowspear:

These new sculpts are amazing but I won't lie, they've been brutal to paint to any decent degree. I'm almost glad at how overpriced power armor is since I won't have to paint many more...still, happy with the outcome. The worst part is I kinda doubt I'll ever use choppy chaos marines for anything. :smith:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Bucnasti posted:

So I wonder if you could prime with Surface primer then seal with Satin Varnish and still get the same effect.

I know if you do a gloss coat before putting on a wash it settles into recesses more.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Making slow but steady progress through the Chaos half of Shadowspear:
I really like these, and I feel you about the complexity. Same problem with the Death Guard stuff. So many tiny details.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Finished my Primaris Ancient this morning (he's not attached to the base yet, just standing on it for the picture). I felt really good about my work on the banner, I know there's still a ways to go in learning to paint better but I'm happy about my progress.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Anyone got any good recommendations for Autumn leaf and/or cherry blossom scatter for basing?

Got some ideas for my Dark Eldar.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

SpaceViking posted:

Finished my Primaris Ancient this morning (he's not attached to the base yet, just standing on it for the picture). I felt really good about my work on the banner, I know there's still a ways to go in learning to paint better but I'm happy about my progress.

Good work! I was where you are right now about a year ago and have gotten a lot better in a pretty short space of time. You'll be astonished how competent you get with only a few months of practice!

If you wanted some advice I'd say maybe hit the pole with some Nuln Oil or some other dark shade to darken the metal down a bit, but other than that you did real good!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for Autumn leaf and/or cherry blossom scatter for basing?

I used Ammo MIG leaves that are a good size for minis, they've got a bunch of varieties.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

For Autumn leaves, I've seen people grab some leaves dry them out, send them through a sieve, then send the results through a tea strainer. you then get vaguely leaf shapes in the right sizes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Coupon is only good today, just got an email about it

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Gunder posted:

Good work! I was where you are right now about a year ago and have gotten a lot better in a pretty short space of time. You'll be astonished how competent you get with only a few months of practice!

If you wanted some advice I'd say maybe hit the pole with some Nuln Oil or some other dark shade to darken the metal down a bit, but other than that you did real good!

Thanks, I've basically just been churning through models since I got the Shadowspear box after probably not touching a paintbrush for a year and a half. I've been seeing a lot of improvement just sitting down and doing it a lot. I've got about 11 models left on my painting table (the 5 Hellblasters, 3 Inceptors, 2 Lieutenants, and Captain from Dark Imperium), and I'm gonna take my time on the HQs. I'll try hitting the pole with another round of Nuln Oil to pull it down a bit, I think the metallic I used was just a little too bright to start with.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

SpaceViking posted:

Thanks, I've basically just been churning through models since I got the Shadowspear box after probably not touching a paintbrush for a year and a half. I've been seeing a lot of improvement just sitting down and doing it a lot. I've got about 11 models left on my painting table (the 5 Hellblasters, 3 Inceptors, 2 Lieutenants, and Captain from Dark Imperium), and I'm gonna take my time on the HQs. I'll try hitting the pole with another round of Nuln Oil to pull it down a bit, I think the metallic I used was just a little too bright to start with.

Yeah, I started this hobby for the first time last year with the same Dark Imperium box. Took me around 2 months to get everything built and painted (not including the Death Guard). Try this technique for the Hellblaster plasma weaponry. It makes it so easy!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I started this hobby for the first time last year with the same Dark Imperium box. Took me around 2 months to get everything built and painted (not including the Death Guard). Try this technique for the Hellblaster plasma weaponry. It makes it so easy!

I saw that one earlier in the thread and used it on my old 5th edition tac marines to good effect.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My gaming group is starting Heresy, so I'm re-starting the Night Lords

This is the first test mini, candy coats next

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Those shoulders... Sexay.

Also for future use to derail Contrast arguments:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Was eyeing some glow in the dark paints but thought it'd be too impractical a joke to get any payoff out of. When would I be gaming in the dark?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeast posted:

Hixson 2.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

super sweet best pal posted:

Was eyeing some glow in the dark paints but thought it'd be too impractical a joke to get any payoff out of. When would I be gaming in the dark?

A black light will make glow in the dark paint light up weirdly bright, even in an already-lit room. You just need to augment the undoubtedly lovely lighting in your dungeon.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ijyt posted:

Hixson 2.
It doesn't have two left hands? :confused:

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

SpaceViking posted:

I like this and look forward to seeing more of the Stormcunts in future.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ijyt posted:

Hixson 2.

Exactly, I found his how to and did my best to copy it with scale paints.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Question for people that have watched/read into stuff about GW's new Contrast paints.

Normally how I do hordes is basecoat the most prevalent color with my airbrush, wash, pick out details, then highlight.

I have a bunch of squigs to paint, are the Contrast paints going to save me any time?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

richyp posted:

I'll let you decide if it looks like a piss forrest, but here's one I did in yellow. (some blue too, but I've covered that before)

1) Basic gist, paint the model as normal, then from where you want the light to be emitted from make a VERY thin glaze of brown and work it outwards from the source. The Glaze should be so thin that it's barely visible over the existing paint, it'll also be runny as hell so apply it carefully.

2) On the light source paint the tiniest amount of Ulthuan Grey, then use a yellow to hit the raised edges closet to the source and materials that would more likely reflect the light (Edge of hammer, claws on pelt, metal bits on this guy etc..)

3) Glaze over the whole thing in Lamenters Yellow, including the brown glaze, to tie the colours together. In the deep recesses that are in the area of effect use a bit of the thinned orange, or some orange shade to exaggerate the shadows.

Keep playing with 2 and 3 until it looks more realistic. It's a lot of trial and error and it's a pain if you mess up step 1 by making the initial brown glaze to opaque as it's going to require repainting areas in a mix of their original colour + brown to fix it.

That's not bad, but the issue I had was that there wasn't really very much that wasn't supposed to be glowing yellow.

I'm probably not going to bother actually painting anything though, because there's a <$20 model of the thing I'm thinking of on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeast posted:

Exactly, I found his how to and did my best to copy it with scale paints.

You aced it while making it your own, great work dude.