Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are blueberries poisonous to cats?

My cat just happily devoured part of a blueberry muffin. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

I. M. Gei posted:

Are blueberries poisonous to cats?

My cat just happily devoured part of a blueberry muffin. :ohdear:
They aren't toxic to cats and are sometimes included in cat food, so unless your cat is allergic to them, you should be fine.

The rest of the stuff in the muffin might still cause a little GI upset, though, so good luck!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Has anyone here given a cat a nasal spray?

I have an 8 month-old 4.5 Lbs FIV+ kitten who has chronic sinusitis. Steroid shots help, but she can only have them 4 times a year and they only help for about a month at a time. She doesn't sneeze or cough, she just has nasal congestion and snores a ton. I worry that her chronic congestion will make her more susceptible to illnesses, but at the same time I don't want to go nuts medicating something that might not be serious. Our other 10 yo Tuxedo cat is wheezy and in perfectly good health. The next step with the vet is a nasal spray and I'm wondering how that would even work with such a tiny cat. I want her to have the best care but I don't want to drive her nuts at the same time...

Help?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ask the vet about your concerns!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Missed kitty pictures!

My boys are 10-12 pounds and about a year old now.

Minsc stretches out far more than you'd expect

He still loves riding around on my shoulder but he's gotten a bit too big for it so he's adjusted to be more of a cat scarf.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 9, 2019

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BabyFur Denny posted:

what a shameful catte

It's doing it right. That's a big loving rat. It's funny but at the same time if the cat get's bitten it's looking at an infection and possibly one of the rats carried diseases on top.
I've seen cats doing the same. Keep dancing around dodging till Mr Rat gets tired and realises 'oh gently caress, I'm miles from cover, exhausted and right next to a pissed off, hungry cat'. When I was a kid I shot rats with an airgun on farms round where I live so I can fully appreciate that cats desire not to get chomped. Wild rats are nasty bastards but no doubt meaty when subdued.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Wroughtirony posted:

I have an 8 month-old 4.5 Lbs FIV+ kitten who has chronic sinusitis. Steroid shots help, but she can only have them 4 times a year and they only help for about a month at a time. She doesn't sneeze or cough, she just has nasal congestion and snores a ton. I worry that her chronic congestion will make her more susceptible to illnesses, but at the same time I don't want to go nuts medicating something that might not be serious. Our other 10 yo Tuxedo cat is wheezy and in perfectly good health. The next step with the vet is a nasal spray and I'm wondering how that would even work with such a tiny cat. I want her to have the best care but I don't want to drive her nuts at the same time...

Help?

Not nasal spray, but had to help with an asthma inhaler sometimes for a friend's cat. They rigged up a tent with a nebulizer and the cat had to sit in it for a while. Ask your vet if something similar might work.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

effika posted:

Not nasal spray, but had to help with an asthma inhaler sometimes for a friend's cat. They rigged up a tent with a nebulizer and the cat had to sit in it for a while. Ask your vet if something similar might work.

One of my late cats, Colonel Tigh, had an ashma inhaler and the Aerocat was a godsend.

(Picture not mine.)

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Wroughtirony posted:

Help?
You're right to worry about potential risks of chronic congestion. The only advice I have for difficult medication regiments is to follow it up with a reward the cat loves, so the cat looks forward to the medication anyway. Food motivated? Great, give her something tasty. Attention motivated? Figure out the kind of attention she loves the most and do that afterward. Every cat has a weakness, and it's your job to find hers so you can exploit it.

Also, ongoing steroids and nasal sprays may help with symptoms, but they won't cure the underlying condition. Since you have a very young FIV+ cat, I'd seriously consider doing more diagnostics (if you haven't exhausted all of them already) unless you already know what's causing the inflammation. Lots of things can produce symptoms of sinusitis and many of them can be cured in ways that don't require lifelong medication for a kitten.

You also said your other cat is "wheezy and in perfectly good health." Healthy cats aren't wheezy. Even FIV+ cats aren't wheezy automatically. Did you mean something else?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

This exact quote with my cats but eating a piece of lunch meat without it being torn into bite sized pieces.

Seen here.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
All of your cats still lie together.

Mine used to when they were little kittens, but now, never sleep together.
They still play a lot together.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Sefal posted:

All of your cats still lie together.

Mine used to when they were little kittens, but now, never sleep together.
They still play a lot together.

Mine are the same! When they were kittens they'd curl up together in their bed all the time and it was adorable, but they stopped that as they grew up. Occasionally they'll sit next to each other(the big faux-fur cushion by the window is their favourite spot), but that leads to aggressive licking and then the usual wrassling ensues.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

LoreOfSerpents posted:

You're right to worry about potential risks of chronic congestion. The only advice I have for difficult medication regiments is to follow it up with a reward the cat loves, so the cat looks forward to the medication anyway. Food motivated? Great, give her something tasty. Attention motivated? Figure out the kind of attention she loves the most and do that afterward. Every cat has a weakness, and it's your job to find hers so you can exploit it.

Also, ongoing steroids and nasal sprays may help with symptoms, but they won't cure the underlying condition. Since you have a very young FIV+ cat, I'd seriously consider doing more diagnostics (if you haven't exhausted all of them already) unless you already know what's causing the inflammation. Lots of things can produce symptoms of sinusitis and many of them can be cured in ways that don't require lifelong medication for a kitten.

You also said your other cat is "wheezy and in perfectly good health." Healthy cats aren't wheezy. Even FIV+ cats aren't wheezy automatically. Did you mean something else?

Dexter, my 10 year old, has had loud breathing since she was a small kitten. She's FIV-. In her case it doesn't seem to be congestion, she just snores while asleep and kind of snorfles when awake. No discharge or illness ever, just loud sinuses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We were out of town the last two days and my fiancees mom hung out with our two dumbasses since they Domino can't be trusted to not dump any amount of water and they'll both eat all the food immediately.

Well we're home and he's acting like we're strangers he's never met before because he's an insane rear end in a top hat.

Bean rolled over for belly pets

On an unrelated note we went to a zoo today and saw so many big cats and it's not fair that I can't pet them

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Big cats are so freaking cool... There is part of me who REALLY would love to get a Bengal or a Savannah cat - some sort of hybrid felidae. I really, truly love big cats. I also tend to like cats who behave in general with some dog-like tendencies. You know, in terms of being a bit more human dependent and a bit less of the cats who act all aloof and perfect and graceful and would hiss and stab you with their sharpest claw if you deigned to so much as cast a shadow on her. I really have known cats like that.

Plus, a friend of mine had a Savannah Cat who was just... the ABSOLUTE coolest most handsome and absolutely cool pet I have ever seen anyone have.... His name was Claude Francois (Claude) which was a double entendre because their friend Francois was staying with in the summer for the climbing and the new kitten shredded the hell out of his hand. So it's a bit of a silly word joke, but I love those.

But really - he was magnificent. Weighed 25 probably, without an inch of fat on his frame. Had the softest, silkiest fur, and the most absurdly gorgeous faces with adorably long ears, which are VERY expressive and communicative and sometimes comical. Claude could also open doors with standard door knobs easily, as well as anything else on that level such as cabinets or drawers. I just love smart, dexterous cats in spite of their potential trouble-making.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Went to a cat cafe to be around happy healthy cats. It was very nice, would recommend.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Len posted:

On an unrelated note we went to a zoo today and saw so many big cats and it's not fair that I can't pet them

You can but it might cost you an arm and a leg :rimshot:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ratzap posted:

You can but it might cost you an arm and a leg :rimshot:

Worth. I'm sure they like belly rubs and ear scratches just like any other cat

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Went to a cat cafe to be around happy healthy cats. It was very nice, would recommend.

On our vacation we discovered the 'second largest cat Cafe in the US'. I think he said it was over 1,000 square feet. They had just opened 50 days previously and already adopted out 73 cats.

It's the 'Naughty Cat Cafe' in chattanooga and their logo kicks rear end, it's a little cat in a bandanna. I'll post a picture later when I can find the shirt we bought.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2019

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We cat-proofed our backyard!
Not looking to open up a can of worms here but outside cats are very much the norm where I live, and despite the lack of predators and relative safety we don't feel comfortable letting our tiny trash-baby roam the neighbourhood freely. Mostly because we have a lot of neighbourhood cats and see missing cat posters all of the time, and also because she's super-cute and friendly to strangers and I don't want anyone stealing my precious. :qq:

She was fine in our small backyard for a while but curiosity won out, and she found out she could easily climb the wooden fencing. This set off our arms-race and it looks like we might have won with this diy spinning bar system. Haha, owned.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

On our vacation we discovered the 'second largest cat Cafe in the US'. I think he said it was over 1,000 square feet. They had just opened 50 days previously and already adopted out 73 cats.

It's the 'Naughty Cat Cafe' in chattanooga and their logo kicks rear end, it's a little cat in a bandanna. I'll post a picture later when I can find the shirt we bought.

Hey I just went there on vacation too! It’s a pretty cool place, got to skritch a bunch of cats while drinking coffee.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

That’s mean, I like it. Hope it won’t be circumvented! You do realize it’ll keep other cats in your yard too once they get in, right? That looks like a Thunderdome situation in the making.

We’re letting our cats out too and have been fine, it’s a neighborhood with lots of cats and few cars. (One neighbor even lets his near-blind cat roam, he keeps creeping ours out because he won’t blink, haha)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

We cat-proofed our backyard!
Not looking to open up a can of worms here but outside cats are very much the norm where I live, and despite the lack of predators and relative safety we don't feel comfortable letting our tiny trash-baby roam the neighbourhood freely. Mostly because we have a lot of neighbourhood cats and see missing cat posters all of the time, and also because she's super-cute and friendly to strangers and I don't want anyone stealing my precious. :qq:

She was fine in our small backyard for a while but curiosity won out, and she found out she could easily climb the wooden fencing. This set off our arms-race and it looks like we might have won with this diy spinning bar system. Haha, owned.

Honestly, I think it's the right call. there's a lot of very preventable and dangerous accidents that happen when letting cats free roam outside. This is a pretty cool set up too!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That seems super effective at keeping cats in to the point I would worry about collecting the neighbour cats! Enclosed back yard is the best though, my courtyard is enclosed with netting and its the perfect combo of them getting to sleep on the bricks in the sun and me not losing sleep about them getting into trouble.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Our cat is FIV+ and he snuffles a fair bit and snores when he is sleeping sometimes. It could be a congestion thing but he also has a big scar on his nose so maybe he just got his nose broken when he was living on the streets.

Normally we let him out into the courtyard with us when we are hanging out there but I let him roam out there on his own once and he basically immediately jumped up on top of the wall and started looking around. He jumped down though when I said to him "Artichoke, you get down from there this instant," I think he realised how worried everyone was getting.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Zwille posted:

You do realize it’ll keep other cats in your yard too once they get in, right? That looks like a Thunderdome situation in the making.

Our yard used to be part of the domain of this big white & tabby fucker but ever since he and Katya held a few staring-contests, he usually sits and watches from the top of the fence. He can't do that anymore so we'll see if he manages to trap himself or just moves on. We'll of course check and safely remove him if necessary, I'm thinking he'll get the message if it even happens the one time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I probably mentioned this a bit, but I did finally get Jackie on a real diet that worked. The key was keeping a log of times and portions, so I figured when and how I was overfeeding at times and corrected. Keeping a log was HUGE.

Ideally, Jackie should be eating three 3-ounce cans of food a day with just *some* extra kibble mixed into her nightly portion, and that's the diet I've been keeping her on, which is a good diet for a cat with an ideal weight of about ~10-11 pounds, according to my vet. Jackie had gained some weight last year, and was back up to like ~14 pounds. However, it's 10 months later and I've been keeping the log to make sure, and it's so cool how well she is finally verifiably doing. She plays more and has more energy, and she just seems happier. The fur on her belly was NEARLY touching the floor last year, and now it's a solid inch or so from touching the ground! It's amazing.

Anyway, this morning, and on a coupler other random mornings in the past, she sometimes will wake up and like... *semi* throw up? She makes some gross sounds and just vomits some clear warm liquid once or twice (which is at least easy to clean up) and is then hungry and ready for breakfast... I put this down to the fact that ever since I instituted this diet, she generally always eats her food in one sitting (which I think is good) except occasionally for her afternoon meal. So she eats her evening meal at 8 or 9 and then usually sleeps through the entire night either on my bed or in one of her spots right next to it - but she really does stay in my room for almost the ~5-6 hours or so I sleep every night, *especially* now that she knows there isn't any kibble or leftovers to munch on in the kitchen and won't get fed until I wake up.

So I'm guessing the weird dry-heaving every couple weeks is just her being a cat and having an empty stomach first thing in the morning... And she's probably not used to her stomach EVER feeling this empty. At 12 pounds now, I think she's the lightest she's ever been. Feels good!

Random question: Does your cat ever groom themself while sitting in your lap, or while leaning/propped up against you, using you as a horizontal surface in order to more easily access those hard-to-lick places? Jackie seriously does with me. I only ask about it because she's the one and only cat I have had who wasn't like... very particular about not being around humans while grooming. Similarly, Jackie is the only cat I've had who doesn'y immediately flee from the litterbox when I come in the room. Cats look VERY funny standing in litterboxes with hoods like mind... I gotta snap a picture of that next time.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kaworu posted:

Random question: Does your cat ever groom themself while sitting in your lap, or while leaning/propped up against you, using you as a horizontal surface in order to more easily access those hard-to-lick places? Jackie seriously does with me. I only ask about it because she's the one and only cat I have had who wasn't like... very particular about not being around humans while grooming. Similarly, Jackie is the only cat I've had who doesn'y immediately flee from the litterbox when I come in the room. Cats look VERY funny standing in litterboxes with hoods like mind... I gotta snap a picture of that next time.

Yes, Katya does this all of the time. Sometimes she will so casually assume you'll support whatever crazy origami position she's in that she falls off if you're not paying attention. Lil dumdum.

edit: rude as hell

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 13, 2019

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

kaworu posted:

Anyway, this morning, and on a coupler other random mornings in the past, she sometimes will wake up and like... *semi* throw up? She makes some gross sounds and just vomits some clear warm liquid once or twice (which is at least easy to clean up) and is then hungry and ready for breakfast... I put this down to the fact that ever since I instituted this diet, she generally always eats her food in one sitting (which I think is good) except occasionally for her afternoon meal. So she eats her evening meal at 8 or 9 and then usually sleeps through the entire night either on my bed or in one of her spots right next to it - but she really does stay in my room for almost the ~5-6 hours or so I sleep every night, *especially* now that she knows there isn't any kibble or leftovers to munch on in the kitchen and won't get fed until I wake up.

So I'm guessing the weird dry-heaving every couple weeks is just her being a cat and having an empty stomach first thing in the morning... And she's probably not used to her stomach EVER feeling this empty. At 12 pounds now, I think she's the lightest she's ever been. Feels good!
This sounds similar to what one of our cats does on an empty stomach. Basically if she goes long enough without eating anything, she throws up a clear liquid that's mostly stomach acid with some mucus. As far as we've been able to tell in her case, it was a sign of indigestion.

The solution for us was to feed her more frequently, which isn't very convenient, but it apparently makes her more comfortable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Our cat is FIV+ and he snuffles a fair bit and snores when he is sleeping sometimes. It could be a congestion thing but he also has a big scar on his nose so maybe he just got his nose broken when he was living on the streets.

This exactly describes one of our cats. He has a scar on his nose, he snuffles, and his nose actually does look like it was broken (it has a funny ridge). I didn't think cat noses broke more like our noses so I thought it might've been a birth thing. Poor guys must've had it rough in their brief time on the streets before the shelter picked them up. His brother has a scar on his ear too.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

This exactly describes one of our cats. He has a scar on his nose, he snuffles, and his nose actually does look like it was broken (it has a funny ridge). I didn't think cat noses broke more like our noses so I thought it might've been a birth thing. Poor guys must've had it rough in their brief time on the streets before the shelter picked them up. His brother has a scar on his ear too.

That's funny. Roswell also has a weird little bump on her nose. She was part of a feral colony before I foster failed her so the vet thinks it's probably a scar from a fight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What's the best way to get rear end in a top hat to stop clawing me in the face during the night? He won't stop just waking me up to play by slapping me with his little points and it's killing me. I don't pet him when he does wake me up but I feel bad relocating him to the floor.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Close your door at night with the cat on the other side of it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Organza Quiz posted:

Close your door at night with the cat on the other side of it.

this is a very good way to lose your security deposit from the cat tearing up the carpet under the door

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deviant posted:

this is a very good way to lose your security deposit from the cat tearing up the carpet under the door

He also chews through wires, knocks things off shelves, and is generally destructive if we do that

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Len posted:

What's the best way to get rear end in a top hat to stop clawing me in the face during the night? He won't stop just waking me up to play by slapping me with his little points and it's killing me. I don't pet him when he does wake me up but I feel bad relocating him to the floor.

If you can't put him out, you can try standard deterrent techniques(spray bottle of water, compressed air, tin of pennies, etc) to make him stop, or Just Ignore Him and pull your blankets over your face or something. 'Relocating him to the floor' might count to his tiny walnut brain as attention and playtime and just reinforce his behaviour.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Every day I am thankful that my cats don't demand to share my bed because I'd never sleep.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I posted here back in February that we got a 3rd cat. We have had our first two for about 10 years.

We have been taking things very slow, both for the cats and since we are also busy.

New cat is super friendly and pretty shy, so issue is getting current cats to like him, not the other way around.

We have kept the new cat (about a year old, not a kitten) in a separate room since we got him. We try to let him out nightly to walk around supervised, mostly making sure our cats won’t kill him.

Our one cat did a bunch of hissing at first, but with visits over time they’re acclimated to each other. Still some light hissing, but the cat will sniff the new cat, let him be, starting to act normal around him.

Our other older cat is a bit harder. He is more shy than the other one, and doesn’t want much to do with the new cat. Still a lot of hissing, and he possibly would attack the new cat if we weren’t around intervening.

We have been using a towel off and on on the cats to try and get him used to the smell. Not much progress so far.

Any suggestions?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Sounds like things are fine. Hissing and spitting and occasional bapping are all ok and them just setting their boundaries as long as there's no blood or injuries and when they tussle, they stop themselves without you intervening. Try to continue to let them out whenever you're home, then expand to when you're out for an errand or dinner, while you're asleep, etc. It took about 4 months until my old cat would stop crossing the house to attack new cat while she was sleeping and thats when I finally let them roam unsupervised. Its been a year now, and there are no cuddle puddles, but they coexist fine.

I say unsupervised, but i still ran a camera feed to a private live youtube to keep an eye on things, but there was never an issue I had to run home for, just cute things I saved for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

zakharov posted:

Every day I am thankful that my cats don't demand to share my bed because I'd never sleep.

Yeah, if anything, Sweetheart likes to lurk under our bed, not on it.

We've tried to coax her up and she'll hop up there on very rare occasion, but even putting her favorite cat bed up there makes her just sleep in her favorite cardboard box in the living room instead. :shrug: