Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did they announce a non-pro OP7? Looks like I might be grabbing a 3a to replace my OP3T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Did they announce a non-pro OP7? Looks like I might be grabbing a 3a to replace my OP3T.

No OnePlus 7 for North America. It's coming to China, India, Hong Kong, and most of Europe though. The 6T got a $30 price drop for the non-6GB models. The 6GB is discontinued.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That's disappointing.

3a it is I suppose.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm mulling over trading in my 6T for the 7Pro. The $290 trade in drops the price to $379. I can probably get $100 more selling on Swappa.

Hmm...

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 14, 2019

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

so this WAS the secret reviewer bonerphone from a week ago... :thunk:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That looks incredible for the price, but that popup camera makes me uncomfortable.

e: vvvv and I'm not a fan of those too, yeah

e: The Android Thread - Secret Bonerphone HQ

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 14, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Curved edges no thanks. I learned my lesson from Samsung

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FistEnergy posted:

so this WAS the secret reviewer bonerphone from a week ago... :thunk:

does he slam dunk it into a bucket of water

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OhFunny posted:

No OnePlus 7 for North America. It's coming to China, India, Hong Kong, and most of Europe though. The 6T got a $30 price drop for the non-6GB models. The 6GB is discontinued.

This is pretty lovely, I love how they're now going to let themselves get dramatically undercut by Pixel 3A and the eternally carrier-subsidized Galaxy Ses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, if it didn't have a curved edge I might have made it an impulse buy, but curved screen just kills it. No thanks.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Can't wait for all the damaged pop-up camera complaints in this thread!

Edit: I know the reveal talks about a free-fall safety mechanism, but it's retraction speed is slow, and I've already had a few of those fumbles where attempting to catch my falling phone just launched it into the ground faster.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 14, 2019

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I still love my OP6 and don't feel the need to upgrade, but if I was shopping for a phone today, the OP7 Pro would not interest me in the same way the OP6 did. Same skepticism over the pop-up camera, distaste for curved screens, and displeasure over the lack of a 3.5mm audio jack. The selection of phones in the style that I appreciate continues to dwindle. I wish the market would separate "luxury" phones lacking features and sporting gimmicks from "power user" phones that have capable hardware and unlockable bootloaders, but that's a pipe dream.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Popup camera is a non issue IMO. Sure some people doing things they shouldn't with it "May" break it, but I think the screen/back/etc will break before that camera mechanism itself.

The biggest problem is the fully out curved edge copy of Samsung they did. Why!?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Amadeo gushing over it being the pinnacle of design is pretty dumb too. Curved edges and no bezels make the thing a pain to actually use, which feels like something you should take into account when talking about design. Like, he mentions reading webpages on it is often kinda bad, as text gets "melty" in the curved portions of the screens, but thank god it doesn't look like some dinosaur of a phone from 2017.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tech bloggers and hyperbole are quite synonymous these days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I feel curved edges DOES look out of 2017. I think the S10e looks more modern than the S10 and S10+ because of this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

Amadeo gushing over it being the pinnacle of design is pretty dumb too. Curved edges and no bezels make the thing a pain to actually use, which feels like something you should take into account when talking about design. Like, he mentions reading webpages on it is often kinda bad, as text gets "melty" in the curved portions of the screens, but thank god it doesn't look like some dinosaur of a phone from 2017.

Amadeo and the AP guy have been mad about phones for a while now. Not people I really follow much anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Amadeo and the AP guy have been mad about phones for a while now. Not people I really follow much anymore.

I'm all about that Flossy Carter. :whatup:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Started playing with my 3a but won't take it out in the real world until I get my case and screen protector Thursday. Getting used to the new nav gestures but feel like that's gonna go right out the window when I go back the 1XL at work tomorrow. I like the "Shh" flip it over thing. Any other notable new features to look out for?

Which is the recommended 2FA app with cloud backups, is it Authy or Authenticator Plus?

e: Camera is nice

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 15, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Authy is my go to and has cloud backups.

Also isn't the turn over to shh been a feature since before the Nexus phones?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hi doggy

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Big fan of Authy for 2fa.

What's everyone using for password managers? I'm fed up with Lastpass and giving Bitwarden a shot, seems like it has Lastpass premium features and a better UI, except it's free!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

air- posted:

What's everyone using for password managers? I'm fed up with Lastpass and giving Bitwarden a shot, seems like it has Lastpass premium features and a better UI, except it's free!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android&hl=en_US

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is it odd that we're halfway through May and I still haven't gotten the May security updates for my Pixel 3?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

air- posted:

1password. Got rid of Keepass a while back, it's too archaic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Glad this discussion came round again, I've promised myself that this weekend it's finally time to get password managed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

Is it odd that we're halfway through May and I still haven't gotten the May security updates for my Pixel 3?

I don't have it yet either.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

I don't have it yet either.

I manually checked for updates several days ago and was able to get it to install. Since then my phone won't stay connected to wifi when on the second floor of my house. It could be coincidence, but it also could be a bug that caused them to pull the update back.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I like Lastpass, other than the fact that it is really slow to open.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Annath posted:

I like Lastpass, other than the fact that it is really slow to open.

That's a big part of why I switched to Bitwarden. Experienced too many occasions where auto fill just straight up doesn't work. In general, the app has been problematic for me lately and I can't stand it anymore.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I finally switched to Authy when I got my new phone, and I should probably look into switching off of LastPass finally. The app constantly logs me out which is an issue because my master password is...long and complicated, as it should be. But typing that in on a phone keyboard sucks a lot.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

If I try to use Autofill, Lastpass will display "Logging in..." toast messages literally every time a text field opens up: text messages, Instagram comments, browser URL. I'm reaching my breaking point with it, too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some Pixel 4 leaks from a Youtuber who supposedly was correct on a bunch of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a stuff:

-capacitive buttons instead of traditional volume and power buttons
-hole punch display
-in-display fingerprint reader
-128GB storage, 6GB of Ram
-dual camera on the rear

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-4-no-physical-buttons-features-leak_id116059

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I should take this opportunity to switch to something more modern than KeePass while I'm going through all my stuff anyway. Thanks for all the answers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Authenticator Plus 4 eva. Unsure of what the functional difference is between that and Authy, but definitely use one with cloud backup, it's a pain in the bollocks to set them all up again in future.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

I got mine for my p3xl a couple of days ago. Verizon

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Authenticator Plus 4 eva. Unsure of what the functional difference is between that and Authy, but definitely use one with cloud backup, it's a pain in the bollocks to set them all up again in future.

The functional difference is your cloud on Authenticator+ vs. their cloud on Authy. Authy has a Chrome extension which seems like it's ripe for abuse but I can't argue with the convenience of it, whereas Auth+ has a WearOS component that I really like and use every day. I will say Auth+ has never once restored my backed up codes. Every time I've had to export the database and reimport it manually.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The functional difference is your cloud on Authenticator+ vs. their cloud on Authy. Authy has a Chrome extension which seems like it's ripe for abuse but I can't argue with the convenience of it, whereas Auth+ has a WearOS component that I really like and use every day. I will say Auth+ has never once restored my backed up codes. Every time I've had to export the database and reimport it manually.

Yeah, the failures of Auth+ to restore my codes was a big reason I changed off it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

E: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LastInLine posted:

Authy has a Chrome extension which seems like it's ripe for abuse but I can't argue with the convenience of it

Man, one of our engineers at work posted about how you can use some software to get your MFA stuff moved onto your laptop for work access and our infosec person was immediately like "Do not do this, if I catch you doing this you will be in trouble."

I don't understand the point of going through the trouble to setup MFA and then obviating it.