Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

splash pages and vertical splash pages where you gotta turn the book sideways and foldout splash pages are cool, don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

splash pages and vertical splash pages where you gotta turn the book sideways and foldout splash pages are cool, don't @ me

Agreed.

Doing cool stuff with the art is cool. My favourite marvel pages are the 4 page splash that Steranko did in Strange Tales that required you to buy 2 copies of the book to experience fully.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Complaining about horizontal panels is legit one of the stupidest takes I've heard about comics in a long time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if a cartoonist isn't allowed to go nuts with panel layout and page design, what's the point of creating a comic at all!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

Agreed.

Doing cool stuff with the art is cool. My favourite marvel pages are the 4 page splash that Steranko did in Strange Tales that required you to buy 2 copies of the book to experience fully.

one of the things that really hooked me when i first got back into comics was a 2 page spread in bendis' torso that's like, a spiral panelling thing that you had to turn the book vertical for. it was really cool

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean just look at how horizontal this monstrosity is. No more of this kind of comic booking please.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that whips rear end

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If you don't like horizontal panels does that mean you want all comic books to be 4koma like Pop Team Epic?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

if a cartoonist isn't allowed to go nuts with panel layout and page design, what's the point of creating a comic at all!

Absoutely. There are a lot of comic book artists who are bad at layout and storytelling, though. Being able to design an interesting page is one of those things that a lot of comic book readers don't even notice, too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Absoutely. There are a lot of comic book artists who are bad at layout and storytelling, though. Being able to design an interesting page is one of those things that a lot of comic book readers don't even notice, too.

just because people won't notice it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done or even attempted if you're new and unexperienced. the only way to learn how to do unconventional panel layout is to try and see what works.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there a digital angle to this? My reader fits to width not height so vertical panels == scrolling

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Scaramouche posted:

Is there a digital angle to this? My reader fits to width not height so vertical panels == scrolling
It's minor, but undoubtedly so. As nice as digital is, I will admit that you do lose the visual wham you get when turning the page and seeing all of a two-page splash at once.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno if your app has this setting, but on mine there's an option to show the full page every page turn

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

one of the things that really hooked me when i first got back into comics was a 2 page spread in bendis' torso that's like, a spiral panelling thing that you had to turn the book vertical for. it was really cool

Torso really fascinates me in that so much of what we think of when we think of Bendis in 2019 is already there, from the really idiosyncratic way he thinks about tempo and I almost want to say "meter" in how he tackles panels, to the fact that the ending is a huge disappointment. But yeah, the spread you're talking about is great and sort of blew my mind too when I first encountered it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah, i re-read it...i think it was last summer now, and in many ways it is already what we would call Peak Bendis and the strength of the book is mostly carried by the artwork of marc andreyko

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It's minor, but undoubtedly so. As nice as digital is, I will admit that you do lose the visual wham you get when turning the page and seeing all of a two-page splash at once.

I read in landscape mode and get this no problem.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh yeah I know I can use other layouts, but I'm wondering if the majority of the digital reading public bothers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

9 square panels per page so you can actually tell a complete story in one 19 page issue instead of stretching it out to 6 issues, thanks.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Why stop there, just take the nine panel grids and turn them into 18 panel grids, you can get twice the story in the same number of pages.

27 panel grids and you can tell an entire trade's worth of story in an issue or two.

Maybe forget the panels, one page with a plot summary and a header image, let's really get down to brass tacks. That's how Stan and Jack would've done it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe forget the panels, one page with a plot summary and a header image, let's really get down to brass tacks. That's how Stan and Jack would've done it!

Jack "Nine Panel Grid Is How I Pencil 122 Pages a Month" Kirby would never stand for that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Random Stranger posted:

Jack "Nine Panel Grid Is How I Pencil 122 Pages a Month" Kirby would never stand for that.
Jack "Wait who said I use nine panel grids and why would I ever want to draw 122 pages a month, that sounds insane and if I ever actually did it I am sure my work and life suffered for it" Kirby endorsed my message first. From the grave. Hypothetically.

I don't really associate Kirby with nine panel grids; people who love him usually talk about his big panels and his use of double page spreads, not his compact tight nine panel economy. Contemporary bitching about his work from the late 1960s onward was about how he relied too much on splash pages or only doing 3-5 panels a page in order to get through pages faster, and I can't even tell what your argument here is, nine panel grids end up making you need to draw more than 4 or 6 panel pages, but also who knows.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The name that leaps to mind for nine panels grids to me is Giffen, and I guess the guy who did the Miracle Man maxi.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Kirby worked on sixes way more than on nines

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Jack "Wait who said I use nine panel grids and why would I ever want to draw 122 pages a month, that sounds insane and if I ever actually did it I am sure my work and life suffered for it" Kirby endorsed my message first. From the grave. Hypothetically.

The month Fantastic Four 1 came out Kirby drew 122 pages for Marvel. In 1962 he drew over 1200 pages for Marvel. Kirby was a machine.

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't really associate Kirby with nine panel grids; people who love him usually talk about his big panels and his use of double page spreads, not his compact tight nine panel economy. Contemporary bitching about his work from the late 1960s onward was about how he relied too much on splash pages or only doing 3-5 panels a page in order to get through pages faster, and I can't even tell what your argument here is, nine panel grids end up making you need to draw more than 4 or 6 panel pages, but also who knows.

It was just a joke about the Stan and Jack's true intention thing.

Benito Cereno posted:

Kirby worked on sixes way more than on nines

I've been reading a lot of 1963 and before Kirby lately and while toward the end of that he's breaking away from a rigid nine, he sticks to it alot with occasional merging of a row into two panels. By the end of the sixties he's definitely more on a six panel layout, though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Scaramouche posted:

The name that leaps to mind for nine panels grids to me is Giffen, and I guess the guy who did the Miracle Man maxi.

Aja for me but he still varies a lot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

The month Fantastic Four 1 came out Kirby drew 122 pages for Marvel. In 1962 he drew over 1200 pages for Marvel. Kirby was a machine.

As Kirby would tell you, he got paid per page and had a family to support.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

yeah, i re-read it...i think it was last summer now, and in many ways it is already what we would call Peak Bendis and the strength of the book is mostly carried by the artwork of marc andreyko

Bendis drew it, Andreyko co-wrote it

I remember telling him that while I liked his writing but I also liked his art and wished he was still drawing stuff at a con in like 2004 or something, when he was still on Daredevil and he gave me a weird look and said something like "no one has ever said that to me before"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 16, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah well then it was carried by his art more than the writing, and yeah he was (is?) a good artist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He's a writer, not an artist, but 9 panel comics make me think of Alan Moore more than anything, his biggest works all use that with a variety of artists (Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, V for Vendetta sorta)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

He's a writer, not an artist, but 9 panel comics make me think of Alan Moore more than anything, his biggest works all use that with a variety of artists (Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, V for Vendetta sorta)

Moore can draw too, he did the strip Maxwell the Magic Cat that appeared in a Northampton paper from like the early to mid 80s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm re-reading Modern Fried Snakes, and I really wish Ryan Armand hadn't disappeared. The dude was like Stan Sakai good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1128991111136120832

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Several months ago, I mentioned that I had written a scholarly article about what lessons Daredevil comics can teach about legal ethics and the legal system in general, especially to an audience of non-lawyers. It was finally published online today, in the Capital University Law Review. I'm a tenure-track law librarian, and getting scholarly articles written and published is one of the necessary requirements for tenure, which means you either get more job security and stability, or you get fired.

Based on getting the article accepted for publication (and the other stuff I do, like teaching classes and chairing committees), our faculty voted to award me tenure earlier this year. And now, after months of editing (both from me and the law review staff), it's finally out. I don't know if anyone here would be interested in reading it, but I promise you the source material is much more exciting than my article. I cited Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, David Hine, Mark Waid, and especially Charles Soule's Daredevil comics extensively, so the article does contain some spoilers from all of their runs.

Best of all, I am planning to meet Charles Soule at MegaCon this weekend, both to get him to sign all my Daredevil and She-Hulk TPBs, and to give him a copy of this article (in a nice red folder) and thank him. He's an attorney himself, so hopefully he'll get it. His DD comics in particular inspired me to write this, so I feel like I owe him and all those other creators my job.

Here it is, all 56 whopping pages: https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
congrats on becoming unfireable. time to slack off

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By which site means take your slacks off and lecture pantsless.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks, but if they decide they want to get rid of me, nothing can really stop them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
where the hell are they going to find another Superheroes' Ethics & Law professor? go wild

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Several months ago, I mentioned that I had written a scholarly article about what lessons Daredevil comics can teach about legal ethics and the legal system in general, especially to an audience of non-lawyers. It was finally published online today, in the Capital University Law Review. I'm a tenure-track law librarian, and getting scholarly articles written and published is one of the necessary requirements for tenure, which means you either get more job security and stability, or you get fired.

Based on getting the article accepted for publication (and the other stuff I do, like teaching classes and chairing committees), our faculty voted to award me tenure earlier this year. And now, after months of editing (both from me and the law review staff), it's finally out. I don't know if anyone here would be interested in reading it, but I promise you the source material is much more exciting than my article. I cited Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, David Hine, Mark Waid, and especially Charles Soule's Daredevil comics extensively, so the article does contain some spoilers from all of their runs.

Best of all, I am planning to meet Charles Soule at MegaCon this weekend, both to get him to sign all my Daredevil and She-Hulk TPBs, and to give him a copy of this article (in a nice red folder) and thank him. He's an attorney himself, so hopefully he'll get it. His DD comics in particular inspired me to write this, so I feel like I owe him and all those other creators my job.

Here it is, all 56 whopping pages: https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

This is awesome, congratulations!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Congratulations! :doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cool article. And the best part of having tenure is that unlike Matt Murdock, you would face no significant consequences for becoming a costumed vigilante.