Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I didn't think to post this when I got it: new Misen nonstick.

I've only used it once... it's nice. The coating seems sturdy, and the pan is heavy. I never would've bought it if the price hadn't been absurdly low, but someone who uses them more often would probably be well served.

I've got a friend visiting, and so far she's managed to use a metal spatula on it and then run the thing through the dishwasher. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

I didn't think to post this when I got it: new Misen nonstick.

I've only used it once... it's nice. The coating seems sturdy, and the pan is heavy. I never would've bought it if the price hadn't been absurdly low, but someone who uses them more often would probably be well served.

I've got a friend visiting, and so far she's managed to use a metal spatula on it and then run the thing through the dishwasher. :argh:

:sever:

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Does anyone have some good big bowls like ceramic/porcelain? We like pho way too much and often I end up picking up some to-go, but I lack big enough bowls to properly consume and we always end up using weird large format stuff like glass tupperware or mixing bowls to eat out of. I'm over it - I want some drat pho bowls.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Spudalicious posted:

Does anyone have some good big bowls like ceramic/porcelain? We like pho way too much and often I end up picking up some to-go, but I lack big enough bowls to properly consume and we always end up using weird large format stuff like glass tupperware or mixing bowls to eat out of. I'm over it - I want some drat pho bowls.
Is there some reason you're not just buying generic phở bowls? Like is there something in particular you're looking for?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

Ikea has good/acceptable ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you’re not eating pho out of these melamine bowls with the generic Asian decorative stripe can you really say you ate pho

https://www.amazon.com/Melamine-Ori...gateway&sr=8-25

Also about 1.6 quarts which is the general size you want

Edit: also popular design:
https://www.amazon.com/Melamine-Ori...gateway&sr=8-30

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 3, 2019

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Oh hell yeah I have a whole set of the red ones I use any time I'm having Asian food.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Steve Yun posted:

If you’re not eating pho out of these melamine bowls with the generic Asian decorative stripe can you really say you ate pho

https://www.amazon.com/Melamine-Ori...gateway&sr=8-25

Also about 1.6 quarts which is the general size you want

Edit: also popular design:
https://www.amazon.com/Melamine-Ori...gateway&sr=8-30

This is what we needed. Also got some of those funny spoons. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Trip report: for decades my mom had a tall Panasonic bread machine that always made sorta mushy bread. It broke down recently and she got a Zojirushi long bread machine. It’s really really good! Crumb is pretty even, soft and is small bubbles, crust is very satisfyingly crunchy even after a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB...hi+bread&sr=8-3

Only downside is that the bread has two holes in the bottom but otherwise very impressed!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 9, 2019

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a good oven thermometer? I'm really suspicious of my oven lately and I'm sick of buying cheap pieces of poo poo on amazon that don't work.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This one is cheap and durable.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Midniter posted:

This one is cheap and durable.

I used this and found out my oven has been really poo poo at getting up to temp. Set the oven to 400, and when the pre-heat timer goes off, the oven is maybe at 300. Might be why I had trouble with cookies this past Christmas

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rotten Cookies posted:

I used this and found out my oven has been really poo poo at getting up to temp. Set the oven to 400, and when the pre-heat timer goes off, the oven is maybe at 300. Might be why I had trouble with cookies this past Christmas

I've found this to be the case for every oven I've ever used. I just let them preheat for like an hour now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My oven was absolute poo poo and all of my notebooks had time written down twice -- one for what it was supposed to take and one for what it took in my oven. I also bought a blowtorch because browning never worked right. A few packages of quarry tile and an oven thermometer later, i can scratch those out.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Steve Yun posted:

Trip report: for decades my mom had a tall Panasonic bread machine that always made sorta mushy bread. It broke down recently and she got a Zojirushi long bread machine. It’s really really good! Crumb is pretty even, soft and is small bubbles, crust is very satisfyingly crunchy even after a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BB...hi+bread&sr=8-3

Only downside is that the bread has two holes in the bottom but otherwise very impressed!

I tried out a series of breadmakers through the local thrift shop - buy one for $5, make a couple of mediocre loaves, donate it back to the shop, repeat with a different brand... One day they had a Zoji on the shelves for the princely sum of $35. Based on our experience with our Zoji rice cooker I bought it. We've had it for three years now and if (when?) it breaks I will be immediately buying a new one. It is awesome, especially after you get comfortable enough with it to start modifying recipes.

I'm amazed at the excellent results using the delayed start. My wife really enjoys coming home from work to the smell of fresh bread ready to come out of the bread machine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pepper grinder broke. My old one was okay for one plate at a time but tedious when grinding enough pepper at the stove. Googling suggests this Unicorn Magnum is the best. Any thoughts on that? Buy the grinder with the weird name or is it overrated?
https://smile.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Pepper grinder broke. My old one was okay for one plate at a time but tedious when grinding enough pepper at the stove. Googling suggests this Unicorn Magnum is the best. Any thoughts on that? Buy the grinder with the weird name or is it overrated?
https://smile.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/

It's the best. Not an heirloom item like a fancy Peugeot, but puts out a ton of pepper.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Yeah the unicorn is a great mill. Got one last month and it feels solid, holds a ton in its hopper, and as mentioned grinds fast as hell

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m still on the fence about Unicorns because I hear they don’t grind very fine. I like my pepper ground SUPER fine, which is part of the reason I love my Peugeot Paris.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new electric griddle. Our current one heats really unevenly and is generally just a big piece of poo poo. Any recs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m still on the fence about Unicorns because I hear they don’t grind very fine. I like my pepper ground SUPER fine, which is part of the reason I love my Peugeot Paris.

I’ll see if I can get you an example of how fine I can grind with mine when I get home. I rarely use on a finer setting so I’m not really sure.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I. M. Gei posted:

I own both a Peugeot and a Unicorn, and I have to say I reach for the Peugeot more often, because I also really like very very finely ground. The unicorn is fine for cooking, but it really does wind up with too many shards.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like a slightly coarse grind so the Unicorn will work for me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dino. posted:

I own both a Peugeot and a Unicorn, and I have to say I reach for the Peugeot more often, because I also really like very very finely ground. The unicorn is fine for cooking, but it really does wind up with too many shards.

Honestly I should probably just use a coffee grinder or something.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is this Cuisinart still the go-to for stick blenders?

EDIT: I do also need recommendations for coffee grinders that are good for grinding spices, assuming that isn’t “all of them”.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 15, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I. M. Gei posted:

Is this Cuisinart still the go-to for stick blenders?

EDIT: I do also need recommendations for coffee grinders that are good for grinding spices, assuming that isn’t “all of them”.

cuisinart sells a spice mill specifically but honestly I break out the mortar and pestle more often

then again I have a 1-quart mortar and pestle and it'll make quick work of any spices you throw at it, unless you're grinding a cup or more at a time in which case I break out the electric grinder

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I already have the Cuisinart spice grinder, but it leaves behind big pieces of whatever it’s grinding. I want something that doesn’t do that. I want something that’ll grind poo poo completely to a fine powder and requires no manual effort whatsoever (so no mortar and pestle). Hence, coffee grinder but for spices.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

They make those, they’re called coffee grinders

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I already have the Cuisinart spice grinder, but it leaves behind big pieces of whatever it’s grinding. I want something that doesn’t do that. I want something that’ll grind poo poo completely to a fine powder and requires no manual effort whatsoever (so no mortar and pestle). Hence, coffee grinder but for spices.

Pick up and shake your spice grinder while it's grinding. Any coffee grinder will do that, but if you have the Cuisinart spice grinder already you don't need to purchase another thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A nicer burr grinder (type of coffee grinder) will be adjustable for size of grain and will do a great job.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Pick up and shake your spice grinder while it's grinding.

I tried that. It didn’t work.

VelociBacon posted:

A nicer burr grinder (type of coffee grinder) will be adjustable for size of grain and will do a great job.

Would a Capresso 560.01 Infinity work? Keep in mind I want to be able to grind pepper super fine with it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 15, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Quote is not Edit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Would a Capresso 560.01 Infinity work? Keep in mind I want to be able to grind pepper super fine with it.

Yeah, that’s one of the more frequently recommended entry-level coffee grinders and it should work for you, assuming espresso dust is fine enough

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is this real life, are you going to spend 75 dollars to make pepper powder

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

is this real life, are you going to spend 75 dollars to make pepper powder

I DON’T KNOW YET, drat

I mean if I get it then I’m gonna grind other spices with it too, not just pepper. I thought the Cuisinart was gonna be all I needed, but it leaves a bit to be desired and I know people use coffee grinders to grind spices.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I DON’T KNOW YET, drat

I mean if I get it then I’m gonna grind other spices with it too, not just pepper. I thought the Cuisinart was gonna be all I needed, but it leaves a bit to be desired and I know people use coffee grinders to grind spices.

have you tried holding down the button for longer because I have the cuisinart too and it grinds fenugreek seeds to free-flowing dust

this is the one I mean, just making sure we're on the same page https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG...=gateway&sr=8-3

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

have you tried holding down the button for longer because I have the cuisinart too and it grinds fenugreek seeds to free-flowing dust

this is the one I mean, just making sure we're on the same page https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG...=gateway&sr=8-3

Yeah that’s the one I have.

Y’all are right that I don’t really NEED a coffee grinder for spices, I’m just kind of exploring options right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Maybe it’s a good time to change the subject. I’m also looking for an electric griddle and a stick blender, in that order. I know I’ve asked about stick blenders here before, but that was in 2017 I think.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Maybe it’s a good time to change the subject. I’m also looking for an electric griddle and a stick blender, in that order. I know I’ve asked about stick blenders here before, but that was in 2017 I think.

I've got this All-Clad and it's never failed me. I didn't pay a hundred bucks for it though, got it for about half that on sale as an open-box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ve tried using a Philips stick blender to grind spices and I don’t recommend it op