Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've been playing combat engineer lately as just taking a blacksmith hammer and building up the basic fortifications is invaluable in frontlines. It has absolutely swung some games back into a victory just by having a place for people to retreat and rest up for a moment.

I had some Horselord run into my barricade where I proceeded to smack him with the hammer. After a few good hits and blocking his sword, he tried to ride off only to get beaned in the back of the head by the thrown hammer and die. I rode his half-dead horse screaming into the enemy lines where I beat an archer to death with my fists.

10/10 GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Well there goes my strategy of using the heater shield and then hitting people in the back of the head with an ax after they turn away to fight someone else because they're frustrated they can't hit me

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

A Typical Goon posted:

Well there goes my strategy of using the heater shield and then hitting people in the back of the head with an ax after they turn away to fight someone else because they're frustrated they can't hit me

There it goes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

A Typical Goon posted:

Amazing username post combo here.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A Typical Goon posted:

:kicks this post to death:

E: I use a heater + messer too I think it will still be good, just not as lame

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
gosh there are so many racist dudes playing this game! you'd think typing the n-word would be an autoban but it's probably 80% of the chat's vocabulary

game's fun though

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
drat after this patch my ping is totally cooked. 150+ which makes it impossible to play. Hopefully it's fixed soon because of my thirst for blood

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

2 patches ago, i crashed hourly. Last patch, not one crash. This morning, I've crashed once. Lets hope this poo poo doesn't continue.

Crash #2. Whelp, game dead until next patch.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 15, 2019

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Lmao

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I saw width mentioned about kick changes, but nothing about height? My main issue with kicks was if someone was on so much as a 2 inch incline up of down. So if there wasn't any vertical changes then fighting shield, zweihander, and polearm (you know, like that long spear) users on two stairs or by the bottom/top of a hill are still probably gonna be the time of "Welp, better not even bother with kicks then."

While I can easily understand the change in a vacuum, I'm also hoping the universal stab nerf doesn't have a knock on effect of making kicks followed up with an arming sword/bastard sword thrust barely edge into gettnig reblocked, but 25ms sounds too small to worry about that. It would be pretty funny if the intended "Nerf spear+shield!" changes accidentally put a dent in the most effective way to kill shield users though.

gently caress yeah carpentry buffs though :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 15, 2019

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Midgetskydiver posted:

This is unfortunately quite true and it doesn't bode well for the lifespan of the game imo. Seems like there are maybe 2 playstyles that make up a majority of the population:

1. wide swing spammers, mostly Zweihander / Executioner but some mauls too looking for one shot kills
2. spear / rapier + shield stab spammers

I would say at least 66% of the people on frontline are one of these two categories because it's easy to get lots of kills just spamming. If they want to fix this they should remove the Friendly trait and make missed swings take up significantly more stamina.

I agree with the stamina part. Big wide stupid 360 no scope swings and drags should completely drain your stamina. If your going to swing for the fences with a giant weapon then there should be an extreme cost for the extreme damage your going to bring put out. It would make 2 Hand weapons a big risk big reward weapon instead of spam 360 swings. Just an IMO to make things more entertaining.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I love checking out the comments on patch posts because the impotent anger makes me chuckle sometimes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wow, the patch pretty much covers most the complaints I was seeing here.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I played a little bit after the patch and really like it! Even groggy and pre-morning-coffee I was able to take out some shield+rapier users with stuff that would've just clonked off before and landed a few kicks. I don't notice much of a difference with stabbing at all. But I haven't tried rapier or estoc today. Bastard sword felt fine, and it's dope that they're on top of stuff like this :)

I also haven't tried buying anything so I don't know if I'm still afflicted by the infinite loading screen bug after buying stuff. I didn't see a mention of it in the patch notes but maybe I missed it.
Edit, yay! that bug is fixed.

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Telltolin posted:

I played a little bit after the patch and really like it! Even groggy and pre-morning-coffee I was able to take out some shield+rapier users with stuff that would've just clonked off before and landed a few kicks. I don't notice much of a difference with stabbing at all. But I haven't tried rapier or estoc today. Bastard sword felt fine, and it's dope that they're on top of stuff like this :)

I also haven't tried buying anything so I don't know if I'm still afflicted by the infinite loading screen bug after buying stuff. I didn't see a mention of it in the patch notes but maybe I missed it.
I mean, the stab nerf is a whopping 25 milliseconds. I'm sure people are going to scream LOL NOOB EVEN TEN MS IS AN ETERNITY WHEN YOU'RE ANY GOOD SCRUB :smugdog: but it seems absurdly tiny to me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wow, the patch pretty much covers most the complaints I was seeing here.

Eh not really. It didn't nerf spam it just made it a bit slower. The issue wasn't that I couldn't keep up with blocking, it was that on frontline there's 32 out of 64 people stabbing non stop. Then there's 28 drag spammers and 4 people playing a lute.

It's a mindless meat grinder that rewards people for monotonous play. They still need more modes or more battlefield objectives to reduce the fighting from massive blobs to more concentrated blobs.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
No balance changes are going to make Frontline more diverse without really screwing up the balance of smaller scale game modes. Throwing 32v32 teams at each other in fast respawning waves is always going to result in a meta focused heavily on crowd control and area denial.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah the problem here is that Frontline is the de facto "default" mode. Other modes play very differently, even just team Deathmatch which is mostly the same thing but on a smaller scale.

Skirmish, though it seems there are few servers, is great because no fast respawns promotes trying to stay alive much more.

Deathmatch Is just chaos and pretty fun from time to time.

Battle Royale has the same no respawn factor of skirmish plus is very asymmetrical (I don't really like it but it's still more "tactical" than Frontline)

We really need an official duel mode.

All that said, Frontline with it's objectives was supposed to be more "thinking" and acting as a team, but they have to really give people a reason to go for objectives rather than bloody chaosbowl murder

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Official duel mode is coming, if they keep taking time to make changes like these though I'm fine waiting.

Also Mordhau Patch #6:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
having a loving blast when I can get a mallet on my crossbow wielding engineer but it kinda sucks all the ranged weapons are either 7+ points... even the objectively useless recurve. or they're like, four throwables that do 15 damage a pop and leave me with a million points to spare.

One change I do wanna see is short-spears going grey instead of vanishing when thrown so you can replenish them at a supply box. That or a dedicated two javelin stack.

Also, havin' a ton of fun just duelling as an archer with a short sword. Just having a bow on your back sends duelists buggin' and throws them right the gently caress off... even if you never use it.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 15, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

btw here are the new weapon skins:

buckler, 12000

cleaver, 6000

cleaver, 55000

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Babe Magnet posted:

btw here are the new weapon skins:

that cleaver... now I just need an akubra.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am getting worse at this game the more I play it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

think of it more like everyone else is getting better. I'm still doing the same wacky poo poo as week 1 but less people are falling for it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NuckmasterJ posted:

I agree with the stamina part. Big wide stupid 360 no scope swings and drags should completely drain your stamina. If your going to swing for the fences with a giant weapon then there should be an extreme cost for the extreme damage your going to bring put out. It would make 2 Hand weapons a big risk big reward weapon instead of spam 360 swings. Just an IMO to make things more entertaining.
Really ridiculous 270+ degree drags are already punished by having the damage massively reduced to like 1/3. The game still rewards 180 degree drags though.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's okay, I keep trying fancier and more elaborate duel moves in frontlines instead of swinging for the fences and wind up with my head on the ground :fuckoff:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Seems like those fairly rare frame drops I was getting before the patch are now pretty regular, poo poo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
LOL the game literally kills you if you crouch down against oncoming arrow fire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

think of it more like everyone else is getting better. I'm still doing the same wacky poo poo as week 1 but less people are falling for it.

I've noticed more people are starting to feint outside of duels and it's really psyching me out, and one guy in Frontline yesterday chambered my chamber of his maul overhead :pwn:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That new cleaver skin is just a medieval bowie knife, holy poo poo.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

People are definitely getting better in Frontline, which makes for some interesting, and frustrating fights. Moves that used to be an automatic win are no longer working with the same regularity. You never know if the guy you're feinting is experienced enough not to bite on it, is going to bite on it, or doesn't even know what a feint is and is just going to power through and smash you in the face.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one thing I've noticed in regards to that, and something that's starting to make frontlines a little more frustrating, is that people are able to tie you up longer, which is fine on its own but really makes archery stand out as kind of being in an unfun place imo. I'm not generally against archery as much as some people, but man is it starting to feel like a tool for Fun Denying more than anything. I just don't know what I would do about it. I wouldn't remove it, it has its place, but I also wouldn't make the weapons much weaker either, maybe a little weaker against heavier armor. Maybe limit the amount of archers that a team of a given size can field? I don't know.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you mean the difficulty in closing distance, archery is pretty hard countered by heater/kite shields. You can wield the shield without having to have a 1-handed weapon and you can use it purely as a distance closer. If you have good reactions, from far enough away, you can just react parry arrows. Arrows really shine in that mid distance where you can't really react, though, so you can get really hosed if you don't have a shield and there's a lot of archers.

You can also use a shield to control space on an objective and force archers to come to you. Maybe a pavise shield or toolbox is also good for this purpose. You can probably walk backwards toward enemy archer fire with a pavise shield on your back before you plant it. I'm purely theorycrafting and haven't tried this.

You can also pick shields up off the ground and don't need it in your starting inventory. In frontline you should just be picking poo poo up to max out your flexibility and power to counter the situations you'll face since the only cost is your 3 inventory slots.

I would say in a melee, the best you can do vs archer support in the backline is try to use the enemy to block line of sight of enemy arrows. If you've ever tried to be an archer, the most difficult thing is trying not to shoot your teammates from behind.

If the enemy archers are supporting their frontline from the high ground, I think this is where archery really shines since they can shoot much more easily past their teammates into the enemy. Not much you can really do there except get to the high ground or if that's impossible throw projectiles up there yourself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got this video game and it's fun but also infuriating sometimes. For some reason people wielding rapiers are like my kryptonite, but chopping a head off from 100% to 0% with an executioner's sword always feels delightful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I made a rapier man explicitly to be lovely and run around and steal kills and never get into a serious fight

en garde bitch

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I mean, that's the game in a nutshell. Babe just harped on archery then presented his rapier-douche. You just have to be okay with all of the warts.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

how does this game not have giant golden codpieces yet

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Babe Magnet posted:

I made a rapier man explicitly to be lovely and run around and steal kills and never get into a serious fight

en garde bitch

that helmet is the thing im most looking forward to unlocking

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I mean, that's the game in a nutshell. Babe just harped on archery then presented his rapier-douche. You just have to be okay with all of the warts.

rapier without a shield is perfectly fine and actually really easy to deal with, I just wanted a fancy nobleman and that vest is stellar looking in lime green, also rapier douche has seen 0 combat scenarios in like the 3 days since I made him lol

I love that you can throw the rapier. It's such a dumb an inelegant thing to do but hey if it works...

hakimashou posted:

that helmet is the thing im most looking forward to unlocking

it's a good rear end helmet

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How many of you use the 240 system vs actually keybinding all of the attacks?

From what I understand all of the chivalry tryhards keybind all their poo poo.