Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Forbidden World

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good creature feature.
The sauna at the research station is the most shamelesss nudity setpiece of all time. It's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I choose all tubi.tv picks based on their titles and cover art.

HELL MOUNTAIN - Sometimes a well placed logo can highlight or heighten a particular mood in a film, a very clear "Faberware" on a kitchen knife dripping with corn syrup blood is the opposite of that. Lots of indie films in general are clearly first drafts but the locations in this seem like first drafts as well. "Studio City bungalow as witch's hut" could work for a horror movie, but shooting it like sketch comedy does not work. is The best friend role in this is played by someone whose face looked familiar as hell until I realized it was Lava Girl.

STRANGE EVENTS - Usually what sinks a creepypasta (other than length) is voice, a lot of amateur writers have "sort of" ideas that would come across well if told better, used different vocabulary, consistently relayed perspective, etc. This is a series of stories that are "sort of" ideas, told in the style of something like Fuan no Tane or slimyswampghost, light on explanation, heavy on atmosphere. When translated to film, the use of mundane vernacular settings and relationships have to be keenly observed or they seem false. In a horror movie, this means contrast. The lighting in this film is bad and way too bright.

MEADOWOODS - FF movie about shithead teenagers and a pleasant surprise, clearly a take on the "Scream" murder of Casey Jo Stoddard, Skylar Neese, etc. When it steps outside of that, the thinness of the characters is a letdown - the sullen teenage girl accomplice improvises well for a very thinly written character, but one really bad character FF movies can't get enough of is dialog about how the cameraman films everything, even when the cameraman has other traits besides holding the camera. Underdeveloped but at least had some narrative momentum, at least I'm one for three.

I'm halfway through Meadowoods and I want to die how the gently caress did you finish this

Here's a thing I'll say: they're playing with the Columbine thing where Klebold was just super depressed and along for the ride

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 15, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Been saying it for like a decade now but the good version of that is S&MAN.

S&MAN is the only good horror movie about horror movies

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
7. God Told Me To dir. Larry Cohen (1976)

Bad news: God's an Alien. Worse news: he's Catholic.
Between this and The Stuff I've decided that Larry Cohen owns. It has a bunch of great on location and handheld camerawork, especially in the early sections where Det. Nicholas is just doing normal investigative work and during the (filming permitless) parade sequence, I'm a sucker for 70s New York movies. Love the way this frog-in-boiling-waters itself from a great NY police procedural into cosmic horror, I don't know if I've seen anything else that manages something quite like that. Really, no movie with a stomach vagina has ever steered me wrong, all two of them.

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 3. The Stuff 4/5, 4. Gozu 3.5/5, 5. Dark Water 3/5 6. Hellraiser 3.5/5, 7. God Told Me To 4/5

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

May I request a dispensation to substitute a movie for one of the remaining movies in my challenge (F13 5-8 plus FvJ)?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
7. Suspiria 2018, streaming on Prime

I missed seeing this in theaters when it was out, and based on my experience seeing the original I originally thought this was a big mistake. I think seeing the Argento film on the best and biggest screen possible is critical for fully enjoying it, but that's not necessary the case for Guadagnino's remake. That's not to say the remake isn't visually appealing (some of the dance sequences are particularly intense), but it is much more of a narrative and character driven film. Unlike the weird menacing dreamworld that the main character walks into in the 1977 movie, this version of a 1970s German dance studio is stuck firmly in a drab, guilt laden, post-war Germany. This atmosphere is critical to the movie's B-plot: an old psychiatrist (played by Tilda Swinton in drag) seeking closure and forgiveness for the loss of his wife during the war years. I do like how this allows the movie to be a kind of showcase for how great of an actor Swinton is, but at 2.5 hours long I have to think the movie would be better if that B-plot wasn't there. It didn't bother me, but I did have to split my viewing into two parts due to its run time. Horror films frankly just shouldn't be that long -even horror-art films.

That being said, I thought the movie was great. It's a witch film, a cult film, a dance film, and eventually a monster movie. The cast great. Tilda Swinton is the obvious standout but even Dakota Johnson is impressive here. There's some over-the-top gore effects and some very unsettling imagery -even if it never truly crosses the line and becomes scary. Some of the gore works like Madam Blanc's neck but a lot of the effects in the climatic sequence are knee-capped by some pretty lovely looking CGI blood. I don't know why blood is so drat hard to get right.

This is really what a remake should be, honestly. Take a film premise (a coven in a dance studio) and make something entirely original. It doesn't feel necessary to ask if it was needed or if it improved on the original because it's its own thing. Strongly recommend, even for people who feel protective of the Argento classic.

4.5/5

1. Day of the Animals | 2. The Snarling | 3. Nekromantik | 4. Wolfcop | 5. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things | 6. Contamination | 7. Suspiria (2018)

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 15, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm halfway through Meadowoods and I want to die how the gently caress did you finish this

Here's a thing I'll say: they're playing with the Columbine thing where Klebold was just super depressed and along for the ride

I was working, wasn't too hard. The worst thing about the film is the score, imo. I will say I watched one the other day I could barely finish because it's a butt ugly, badly acted Shining riff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn’t decide what to watch last night so I decided it was time to get back to the grindstone.

15. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)
Available on Amazon Prime

Jason’s been dead for one whole movie but Tommy Jarvis understandably has some unresolved issues so he decides to go dig Jason up and burn and desecrate the corpse a little. Unfortunately the corpse is struck by lightning and comes back to life. Huh? Ok, whatever. You know the rest. Camp, oversexed teens, random bodies piling up. I don’t think I saw any boobs, so maybe they were going for a more family audience this time.

I’d make jokes about Jason’s resurrection and the utter lack of effort put into making it make any sense, but honestly I never really understood or cared how Jason was alive all those other times so whatever. I’m gonna be generous and read this as the filmmakers wanting to let us all know that Dr. Frankenstein was a hack and it turns out any corpse hit with lightning comes back. Who knew?

I guess this is the point where the franchise took that turn towards taking itself less serious. I suppose its commendable it took 6 films to get there. By the 6th Nightmare film Wes was sad enough to be be trying to fix Freddy and by the 6th Chucky film… well that’s a weird rear end film. Jason held out a long time, and honestly not a lot changes here. Occasionally Jason looks funny at something but mostly its the same movie we’ve been watching but with one of the one dimensional characters occasionally making a joke to the camera in their 5 minutes of screen time. The slightly different tone did catch me by surprise though and I’ll admit that the weird rear end Bond opening made me nearly choke on my drink.

This is probably the first film where I at least GET why people might dig it. Its tongue in cheek enough that its inviting you to laugh with it rather than at it. It felt a little fan servicey and self indulgent to me but I didn’t come in as a fan of the franchise so I’m not really the audience. I found it kind of odd Jason’s rampage almost felt like a subplot to Tommy’s adventures with his new dangerously unstable love interest. but that might be what made it the most watchable of the films so far to me. For once we were given reason and time to really give a drat about the non-Jason characters. For once the protagonist of the film is Tommy and Megan, not Jason.

I think what strikes me about these films most is the loving years on them. 1986? I thought the LAST movie was made in 1986. They cracked out the first 8 Friday the 13th movies in 10 years. That’s insane. The first movie came out less than a month after I was born and my entire 8 movie Blu Ray collection finishes just a little after my 9th birthday. That seems really nuts to me.

At least they got Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper to make a really bad theme song.

Also am I the only one wondering what the hell happened to Tommy’s sister?

”Wonder How This Holds Up” PreGaming in April
1. World War Z (2013); 2. As Above, So Below (2014); 3. The Cabin in the Woods (2011); 4. The Last Exorcism (2010); 5. Trollhunter (2010); 6. The Blair Witch Project (1999); 7. Unfriended (2014); 8. Absentia (2011); 9. The Last Exorcism Part II (2013); 10. The Prophecy (1995); 11. Dawn of the Dead (1976); 12. Mandy (2018)

May “New To Me/Clean Up” Marathon
Watched - New (Total)
1. From Beyond (1986); 2. Train to Busan (2016); 3. Coraline (2009); 4. The Old Dark House (1932); 5. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 6. Apostle (2018); 7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985); 8. Suspiria (2018); 9. Venom (2018); 10. Winchester (2018); 11. The Masque of the Red Death (1964); 12. Behind the Mask:The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006); 13. The Stuff (1985); 14. Veronica (2017); 15. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986);

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 15, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Obligatory that I post this every time Jason Lives is discussed:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was kinda worried going into The Lure that it was gonna turn out to be one of those European sex movies for perverts. The Criterion Collection has tricked me with those before. But The Lure is only partly a sex movie for European perverts. It's also a musical about man-eating mermaids. And a band biopic, and a remake of The Little Mermaid.

It's very good to look at. The musical sequences, the fight scene with all the feathers, colored lights, it's a very good looking movie.

I've seen people call The Lure a horror movie, which is why I watched it for this thing, but I dunno about that. It's didn't feel very horrory to me, and the man-eating segments were unfortunately brief and not very gory. If it was gonna be a horror movie I'd want some more horror in there. They've got those great huge gross fish tails, give me a scene where one of them propels herself out of the water with it like one of those jumping sharks and grabs a dude off a bridge, now that would be badass. But as it is I don't even know if I should add it to my count for the May Horror Challenge

But yeah, The Lure is good. In terms of mermaid semi-horror movies I like Mermaids: The Body Found better, but that's just because I love fake documentaries. Most people would like The Lure better and be right to.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, The Shining, Tales From The Darkside The Movie, The Alphabet Killer, Ghost Ship, Delivery: The Beast Within, Pulse, The Lure

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Obligatory that I post this every time Jason Lives is discussed:

In Voorhees We Trust spent like 15 minutes talking about this moment. It's so bizarre.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hit my goal much sooner than I thought I would. Guess I'll keep going!

13. Pieces (1982)
(Shudder)

40 years after a young boy chopped his mother up with an axe, a series of gruesome killings begin at a college campus. The killer likes to chop up his vicitms with a chainsaw, and the police are unable to track him down. The cops in this movie are absurdly incompetent - 99% of their detective work is just asking people a vague "can you tell us anything?" and then letting it drop when they say no. There is also a female cop that goes undercover as bait, but she is incredibly useless. The police recruit a college kid to do most of the work for them, and he isn't very good at it either. Basically everyone in the movie is dumb and bad.

You can see a lot of giallo influence in this early '80s slasher, in the general story (investigation of a series of sexually-charged murders involving scantily clad young women) and in things like the shots from the POV of a killer wearing black gloves. There is a lot of gore, and the effects are mostly pretty decent. Most everything else about the film is bad though - the acting is awful and very little of what happens makes any sense. I give it credit for moving things along at least - there is rarely much of a lull between death scenes, or at least scenes where something mind-boggingly stupid happens to keep things interesting.

This could be fun to watch and make fun of with friends and some weed or booze but it is not at all a good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWA2IYrKlk

Total: 13
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I've seen people call The Lure a horror movie, which is why I watched it for this thing, but I dunno about that. It's didn't feel very horrory to me, and the man-eating segments were unfortunately brief and not very gory. If it was gonna be a horror movie I'd want some more horror in there. They've got those great huge gross fish tails, give me a scene where one of them propels herself out of the water with it like one of those jumping sharks and grabs a dude off a bridge, now that would be badass. But as it is I don't even know if I should add it to my count for the May Horror Challenge

Eh. It'd be misleading to only call it a musical. While most of the murder and flesh eating is implied and off-screen, the fantastic element is pervasive throughout, and fully embraces the murderous aspect of mermaid mythos.

So it's fine for the challenge.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

one of those European sex movies for perverts

Looking for some movie recommendations. Uh...for a friend.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

graventy posted:

Martyrs, Inside, Saló should keep you busy. Inside even has a baby, mazel tov!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Salo is sexy as hell. Good rec.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Eh. It'd be misleading to only call it a musical. While most of the murder and flesh eating is implied and off-screen, the fantastic element is pervasive throughout, and fully embraces the murderous aspect of mermaid mythos.

So it's fine for the challenge.

In that case, Happiness of the Katakuris would also qualify for the challenge.

All of you should watch Happiness of the Katakuris

graventy posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color. You get lured in by the Criterion packaging and think, "oh this is gonna be a fancy important LGBT movie" and then it turns out to be two and a half hours of scissoring directed by a gross middle-aged Frenchman

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

In that case, Happiness of the Katakuris would also qualify for the challenge.

All of you should watch Happiness of the Katakuris

It does, though. It's regularly mentioned in the Horror thread as a popular horror musical.

Gripweed posted:

Blue is the Warmest Color. You get lured in by the Criterion packaging and think, "oh this is gonna be a fancy important LGBT movie" and then it turns out to be two and a half hours of scissoring directed by a gross middle-aged Frenchman

Both aspects are true, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, Salo is sexy as hell. Good rec.

No joke, I started watching this a few weeks ago at like 1 AM (quite drunk) and I had to turn it off because it made me feel insanely horrible.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Martyrs, Inside, Saló should keep you busy. Inside even has a baby, mazel tov!

I think my friend is a different kind of pervert than you freaks.

I've been a lazy subtitle-less movie watcher lately but I think I'll move Katakuris to the top of the list.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

No joke, I started watching this a few weeks ago at like 1 AM (quite drunk) and I had to turn it off because it made me feel insanely horrible.

I haven't been able to watch much for the challenge due to off-line stuff, but I thought about trying to watch Salo this weekend and get it over with. Like you, movies of that depraved caliber makes me feel really bad.

graventy posted:

I think my friend is a different kind of pervert than you freaks.

Don't be a lame. :getin:

I don't get how Martyrs was included with the joke, since there's nothing remotely sexual in the film. It's very good, though! I do plan to watch Inside for this challenge, as it's one of the last flicks I have from Slate's list.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 15, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

The owner of the comic shop I frequented in high school loaned us Salo, told us nothing about it and then laughed his rear end off when we have it back and said it was weird and gross and that we didn't finish it

Edit:I should specify that we kept asking him to let us see it after he told is about it

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's been a while but I enjoyed Inside a lot.

OK gotta catch up with my reporting.

5. Hello, Mary Lou. Prom Night II

Mary Lou is an all-around bad girl, as she herself informs us while the movie opens. She lies, she cheats, she fornicates with boys, she's a real troublemaker. When she cheats on her boyfriend at prom, he gets revenge by accidentally killing her. Oops! Thirty years later, it's prom season again and Mary Lou's vengeful spirit is unleashed.

What a weird film! The first half mostly feels like an 'homage' to Nightmare on Elm Street, with lots of dream sequences as Vickie gets slowly possessed. It was pretty fun! I'm kind of disappointed the Prom Nights aren't connected because I'd like to see more people take on Mary Lou.
3.5/5

6. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

There's this asylum on CNN's top haunted places list, and after yet another group of teens go missing, a streaming horror show recruits some people to investigate, and stream their trip. With predictably deadly results.

I love when physical spaces mess with people, and I like when people think they're smarter than the ghosts when they are not, so I found this to be another fun found footage film in the general vein of Grave Encounters. Maybe a bit too much screaming, but realistically I’d be screaming like a colicky baby so…
4.5/5

7. Hell House LLC II

The events of Hell House happened, and our lone survivor appears on a television show before getting roped into returning to the titular Hell House with a new documentary crew.

The reason that the first movie worked so well for me is that a lot of effort went into establishing the space with slow buildup. When poo poo goes down, you have a pretty good idea what exactly is going on despite the shaky camera situations. We don't bother with that in this movie. The morning show is boring, so they air those segments interspersed in the 'documentary crew' footage. But they do it so poorly that we learn stuff from the documentary scenes that happened on the morning show, but we don't see it happen until later. There's no option to build up tension here because we are constantly cutting between past and present. The 'twist' is super dumb and ridiculous but also in a weird way pretty obvious. drat this movie sucked.
0/5

8. #FollowFriday

Someone starts killing people on campus seemingly at random, except they are the only new people we are introduced to before they get killed. Turns out it's twitter's fault.

Made for Syfy, it was as you might expect. Sometimes you watch movies just to get them off of your Plex server. The final villain was hilariously dumb and I'm not sure I like it when I make a dumb joke when the movie starts and it turns out to be true. You probably shouldn't watch it so the villain is a literal Twitter egg, a random person not connected to anyone in the cast in any way.
1/5

9. Demons

A movie theater opens its doors for a special one-night screening, and spoilers it's demons, demons everywhere.

This was fun! I really enjoy the way the movie paralleled the movie-within-the-movie, and when the characters began to realize that. Just an enjoyable gooey experience.
4/5

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
10.) Escape from Tomorrow

2013, first watch, Shudder via Amazon Prime

A black-and-white guerrilla-style production within the labyrinthine guts of the most magical place on earth, you're going to be watching Escape for the premise. The question then becomes whether the gag contributes to the experience - or at least, is it interesting on a technical level? I'm afraid we're not quite there. The venue isn't adding much value beyond the bare bones of the gimmick itself.

Bad things happen everywhere. Especially here.

11.) Airaa

2019, first watch, Amazon Prime, Tamil

A journalist, Yamuna (Nayanthara), makes her presence known on the internet using staged videos of ghostly activities - yet she is also pursued by a genuine vengeful spirit, Bhavani (Nayanthara).

As with Dora, this movie's front and back halves don't have much in common. Yogi Babu shows up to provide some comic relief, then vanishes into the ether when things get serious and the bodies start to pile up. Airaa looks good - there's a lot of red lighting, jaunty camera angles, and other steps to provide polish to what you're watching. It also owes a lot of its visual language to high profile horror - there are bits of Conjuring, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, and The Grudge mixed in here.

This is not, all things considered, a story about a ghost. It's a story about misfortune, everyday decency, and envy; Nayanthara's dual role helps assert that nothing but circumstance divides the two women who drive the plot. Bhavani's misfortunes arise from the scorn and cruelty of others, denying her an education, a home, a career, a husband, and ultimately her life. Yamuna's role in Bhavani's final day is a small one - but she has everything Bhavani lacks, and her failure to offer the merest consideration to a stranger is more galling in light of the mountain of blessings she enjoys without reflection.

Shouldn't you experience a small part of the suffering that I went through?

Watched: 1.) Jason X 2.) Tumbbad* 3.) Child's Play 4.) Suspiria (2018) 5.) 3 A.M.* 6.) 465* 7.) Dora* 8.) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1977) 9.) Noroi: The Curse* 10.) Escape from Tomorrow 11.) Airaa* [7 first watches, 6 foreign] [Goal: 13+ movies, 7+ firsts, 4+ foreign.]

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Journeying through the They Shoot Zombies… list

Apparently, the list was updated to 2019 sometime during the past few days, so the viewing order I planned doesn’t quite fit. Not a huge deal though.

#113: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

I guess question marks in titles weren’t considered a bad omen back in 1962.

I’d only seen one film by Aldrich before (the excellent Kiss Me Deadly) but that was enough to let me know that he’s not a director to shy away from darkness. And that he loves setting films on the beach. (I think you can even see the beach house from Kiss Me Deadly at one point). Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? lies somewhere between Sunset Boulevard and Misery, an acerbic tale of lost fame turning to delusion and an ostensible caretaker turning abusive. Aside from the gorgeous photography (the film is littered with effective deep focus shots), its main draw lies in seeing acting giants Bette Davis and Joan Crawford together for the first time. Their off-screen rivalry was the stuff of legends, and they’re really having a go at each other here. There’s a fascinating meta-element running through the whole story, although, to the film’s credit, you don’t need to know about the background to enjoy the experience. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? works excellently as a straightforward thriller as well.

#150: Ginger Snaps (2000)

Finally answering the all-important question: What if Ghost World had werewolves? Using lycanthropy as metaphor for puberty is such a good fit that I’m surprised there aren’t more werewolf films which went that route. Ginger Snaps effectively prays upon the teenage fear of our body undergoing changes beyond our control. Even though it lacks a stand-out transformation scene, there is more body horror going on than you usually see within the genre.

There are a few digs at the high school environment and the societal perception of sexually active women as well, although those tend to fall flat because they’re not well-woven into the overall narrative and because most side characters are one-dimensional caricatures. The film is at its best whenever it forgets about the external world and focuses on the relationship between two sisters pushed to their limits by an uncertain fate.

#956: Zodiac (2007)

I technically didn’t watch this for the challenge, but turns out it’s listed on the newest version of the They Shoot Zombies… list, so what the hell, I’m counting it. The infamous basement scene certainly leaves a much more lasting impression than a lot of other horror films I've seen.

As you might infer from the title, the film tells the story of the real-life Zodiac killer and the people who investigated him. Fincher stays relatively close to historical facts, at least in the first two-thirds, showing the entire timeline from the Zodiac’s first murder to his last letter. The connection to real-life both elevates and hinders the film. Elevate in the sense that it gives the depicted events an intensity they would have lacked otherwise. It’s much harder to emotionally disconnect from a violent stabbing if you know it didn’t simply emerge from the mind of the writer. Hinder because real-life doesn’t always write the most satisfying stories. If you’re familiar with the case, you’ll know that the police never managed to convict or even charge anyone for it. The hunt for the Zodiac killer was a decade-spanning wild goose chase, every seemingly important clue turning out to be either a red herring or insubstantial evidence. In awareness of this, the last act of Zodiac desperately tries to build up one of the suspects as the definitive killer, which even if you could make a good case for him (and based purely on what the film tells me, I’m not sure you can), comes across as a weird and honestly kind of gross form of mob justice. I guess that take's a bit hypocritical since I love Stone’s similarly conspiracy-drenched JFK, but at least that film only fingers powerful institutions instead of individuals.

#121: Village of the Damned (1960)

George Sanders and creepy children? Sign me up! If Ginger Snaps perfectly encapsulates teenage fears, Village of the Damned must be the nightmare of all middle-aged couples. The idea that your children, the most important people in your life, turn out terrifyingly inhuman and will treat you as nothing more than a useful asset is a rather unpleasant one. Stylistically, the film feels like a lost Twilight Zone episode at times. There’s a distinct lack of visual flair and the low budget becomes quite apparent during the effect-heavy moments, but the whole enterprise is saved by strong writing and acting. At a measly 70 minutes, it’s fairly briskly paced too.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

When a friend and I were talking about Ghostwatch recently, I realized that I hadn’t seen many other “fake broadcast” movies. (The only other one I could think of was WNUF Halloween Special, which I didn’t much care for.) Thankfully YouTube has a few made-for-tv options to check out. Neither of them fit the horror category as neatly as Ghostwatch does, but as an '80s kid who probably shouldn't have been allowed to stay up past my bedtime to catch The Day After, I tend to see realistic takes on global apocalypse/nuclear panic as horror.

6. Without Warning (1994)

I liked the intro to this, which shows a sleazy crime drama interrupted by breaking news reports of three simultaneous asteroid strikes. Some of the characters that stood out were played by real reporters, which adds a bit of realism. The story moves slowly into stranger territory, and it’s interesting to watch worldwide reactions to this kind of unprecedented event.

The biggest drawback is that it’s flat and plot-heavy. The TV personalities do get developed a little, mostly towards the end, but the main appeal is the situation and the one-note moral. It would probably suit anyone looking for a kick of early ‘90s nostalgia, but I preferred both the look and the story of the next movie I watched.

7. Special Bulletin (1983)

Special Bulletin follows the coverage of a nuclear terrorist threat against Charleston. Since it’s smaller in scope than Without Warning, there’s more breathing room to develop characters and themes beyond just the immediate danger. Some of the reporters become part of the story themselves, and there are scenes that question the media’s role in the crisis.

The overall style seems pretty authentic, though there are times when it’s impossible to imagine that these reporters would have been allowed to continue filming. The ending was predictable but still packed a punch, and following along as the anchor shifted attention to other, fresher news in the last few moments really worked for me.

Watched: 1. Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) 2. The Other (1972) 3. Bloody Birthday 4. Bad Dreams (1988) 5. The Car (1977) 6. Without Warning (1994) 7. Special Bulletin (1983)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm starting much later than I had planned but I am confident I can make it to thirteen if I just neglect anything else for a month.

1. Evil Eye AKA The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)

A film so old that the very first scene has people smoking on an airplane.

A young American woman named Nora Drowson goes to Rome to visit her ageing aunt but when Nora ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time she witnesses a murder but everyone thinks she's crazy because there is no body and Nora is a huge fan of trashy crime novels. She of course begins investigating on her own with the help of a hunky young doctor who just wants to show her the city and also boink her. After some digging she finds out that the murder took place but it happened ten years ago.

Apparently this is the American edit which puts a heavier emphasis on the romantic comedy aspects of the film. Which explains why it feels more like a fun little romp. There's even a montage where the young doctor shows her around the city and we're treated with a series of shots of him miming various bits of Italian history to her most notably gladiatorial combat and fascism. There are still a lot of scenes that push the plot forward and even a few very tense scenes but all the thrilling thriller stuff is interspersed with Nora being a complete dork and klutz and the doctor constantly hitting on her.

Aside from the tone Evil Eye feels a bit like a proto-giallo. There is no J&B whiskey and the murders happens mostly off screen or are just barely glimpsed and Nora remains fully clothed for almost the entire film. but it is a film about a beautiful woman that has to become an amateur sleuth because the police won't believe her is the basic plot of at least a dozen gialli but the sleazy tone of latter films is mostly absent and this feels more like Bava doing his best Hitchcock impression. The crime pulps Nora reads throughout the film, complete with voiceover from her about whatever grisly deeds are being committed on the page, are the sort of literature that the giallo genre takes its name from. As most of you are probably aware "giallo" is Italian for yellow which was the colour crime novel covers tended to be.

On the whole a very enjoyable picture. The twist isn't too surprising but Bava, who is of course also cinematographer, is nothing if not a visual master and like all of his films this film is gorgeous so it's at worth a watch even if it's far from Bava's best. I should probably try to get my hand on the more thriller oriented international cut to see how it compares.

2. Terrified (2017)

A haunted house movie there isn't just one haunted house but an entire haunted neighborhood starting in one house and then spreading like an infection.

The film start with a flashback to the ever escalating paranormal events in some sleepy suburb in Argentina. A group of aged paranormal investigators then contact the survivors and get permission to spend a night gathering evidence. A middle aged cop with a bum ticker (two weeks away from retirement) who is personally involved with one of the victims and an old friend of one of the investigators tags along.

I am a bit torn on this film. It does a lot of really cool things and many of the effects and creature designs are amazing but it doesn't quite stick the landing. I'm a huge sucker for all paranormal investigation nonsense and this really scratched that itch and I really love the concept that the creatures are not actually ghosts but microscopic being from a parallel dimension that are somehow possessing our flesh and using our dead bodies as vehicles to spread their and also drink human blood. In a way it's a bit like a very very loose adaptation of Lovecraft's From Beyond where a scientist discovers that we are actually constantly surrounded by terrifying monsters but they don't quite exist on the same spectrum of light as we so we can't see them and they can't see us. It's a bit like they ran out of money towards the end and couldn't shoot the final climax because it just sort of ends just as it's getting really crazy.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 16, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
9. City of the Living Dead (Shudder)

Before today I had only ever seen one other Italian horror movie, Zombi 2 - another Fulci. I remember finding it quite boring but I admit that could have been a failing one my part rather than the films, and it was over 15 years ago. I plan on doing a few more before the end of May.

A priest commits suicide in the Dunwich cemetery, allowing the gates of Hell to open on All Saints Day and the dead will walk the earth. A psychic who had a premonition about these events joins with a reporter to try and stop this from happening.

To be honest I found the first hour to be somewhat of a chore highlighted by a handful of fantastic scenes. Emily’s design, the glass and bleeding walls, the drill scene and any scene with the apparition of the priest are all top notch. The last half hour however, basically from the maggot storm through the credits is non stop fun and I wish the rest of the movie had been as entertaining. This one gets a 2.5/5 from me with the caveat I may come to appreciate it more in the future.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"Somewhat of a chore highlighted by a handful of fantastic scenes" sums up most of Fulci's work pretty well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

deety posted:

7. Special Bulletin (1983)

You now have to watch Countdown to Looking Glass, which is sort of on the border of these films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

deety posted:

I liked the intro to this, which shows a sleazy crime drama interrupted by breaking news reports of three simultaneous asteroid strikes. Some of the characters that stood out were played by real reporters, which adds a bit of realism. The story moves slowly into stranger territory, and it’s interesting to watch worldwide reactions to this kind of unprecedented event.

The biggest drawback is that it’s flat and plot-heavy. The TV personalities do get developed a little, mostly towards the end, but the main appeal is the situation and the one-note moral. It would probably suit anyone looking for a kick of early ‘90s nostalgia, but I preferred both the look and the story of the next movie I watched.
I saw this on broadcast tv when it aired and the "lovely thriller interrupted by newscast" completely got me.

Unfortunately, they did the war of the worlds thing where before and after every commercial they had a big disclaimer that it was a movie, so that thrill only lasted 14 minutes, but still - it was awesome. I love Without Warning to this day as one of the most clinical armageddons ever filmed.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
8. The Others dir. Alejandro Amenábar (2001)

Watched this on a whim because it starred Nicole Kidman and I'm very glad I did. As expected she's absolutely great, constantly expressing so much with just her eyes. You can really feel just how her nerves are on fire the entire film, even when she's projecting calm. Also had some solid child acting, and the rest of the cast is quite solid, especially Fionnula Flanagan. I'm sort of surprised to see that the music was composed by the director because I found it pretty average overall and in a few quieter scenes rather distracting. He did a good job on directing and writing though so hey, 2/3's not bad.

4 oil lamps out of 5

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 3. The Stuff 4/5, 4. Gozu 3.5/5, 5. Dark Water 3/5 6. Hellraiser 3.5/5, 7. God Told Me To 4/5, 8. The Others 4/5

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

5. Ichi the Killer (2001): Audition probably unsettled me more than any horror movie I’ve seen, so I was pretty excited for more Miike. But this didn’t really do it for me. It is extremely violent and gross but the pacing is a bit off. I was into it for the first hour or so but by the end it all just feels gratuitous and tryhard. It’s also probably more yakuza movie than horror, but I think it’s horror enough to count.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

14. Candyman (1992)
(blu-ray) re-watch

A grad student who is writing her thesis on urban legends learns about the myth of the Candyman, a man with a hook for a hand who haunts a local project and appears when you say his name 5 times in the mirror. She goes to investigate and finds herself in grave danger even before the supernatural stuff starts.

I loving love this movie. Tony Todd is the poo poo, the Philip Glass score is incredible, and it's legit scary all the way through. I picked up the Scream Factory blu-ray and it looks gorgeous compared to the old lovely DVD I had.

In my top 5 horror movies of the '90s.

Total: 14
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces | Candyman

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

14. Candyman (1992)
(blu-ray) re-watch

A grad student who is writing her thesis on urban legends learns about the myth of the Candyman, a man with a hook for a hand who haunts a local project and appears when you say his name 5 times in the mirror. She goes to investigate and finds herself in grave danger even before the supernatural stuff starts.

I loving love this movie. Tony Todd is the poo poo, the Philip Glass score is incredible, and it's legit scary all the way through. I picked up the Scream Factory blu-ray and it looks gorgeous compared to the old lovely DVD I had.
Fun discussion point: Is Candyman real?

Like, obviously the historical figure (within the movie's universe) of Daniel Robataille existed and is a ghost story in Cabrini Green - but nothing that happens in Candyman could not have happened if some peak-white-nonsense misery-tourist white lady went insane reading spooky history all day and then visiting the pjs.

So did Helen go insane and commit all them murders, or is Candyman a real ghost that guts people and she was caught up in a tragic story? The only thing that "Candyman" did that couldn't have been Helen happened in the psychiatrist's office, with her restrained already - but she could have slipped out and imagined it was Candyman cutting her bonds.

Side note: Tony Todd was reluctant to do this movie since it had so many bees. So he put a rider in his contract, $1,000 for every sting. He made an extra $23,000.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 16, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Fun discussion point: Is Candyman real?

Like, obviously the historical figure (within the movie's universe) of Daniel Robataille existed and is a ghost story in Cabrini Green - but nothing that happens in Candyman could not have happened if some peak-white-nonsense misery-tourist white lady went insane reading spooky history all day and then visiting the pjs.

So did Helen go insane and commit all them murders, or is Candyman real and she was caught up in a tragic story? The only thing that "Candyman" did that couldn't have been Helen happened in the psychiatrist's office, with her restrained already - but she could have slipped out and imagined it was Candyman cutting her bonds.

I'd say no except for the baby disappearing for over a month - it's hard to argue that being a hallucination or something when the baby really does come back since we see him at the funeral. Also with the psychiatrist I don't think there is anything in there she could have killed him with? At least nothing is shown.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm on a really nice run here, already discovered a few new favorites and last night I did a fairly random double feature and hit on two more!

Terrorvision(Prime)

This is another case of "why the hell did I not watch this years ago?" because it's exactly the kind of ridiculous creature feature that I love. By the director of Subspecies, and a Charles Band Production, Terrorvision felt to me like a higher level production than a lot of his later Full Moon films. Which makes sense, this was made under Band's previous company, Empire and in the same year as From Beyond. It seems like these pre-Full Moon films had higher budgets, but of course that's a relative statement. Terrorvision still looks cheap at times, but Ted Nicolaou infuses it with stylistic flourishes that are pretty effective at papering over those flaws. You could say the same thing of Subspecies, even though they're completely different in tone.

As with most effective creature features, the thing that makes it is a combination of a great monster + a solid cast of interesting characters. There's no attempt here to be serious, everything is over the top and the special effects fit right in with all that. I can't see how a person could watch this and not have a lot of fun.

Noroi: The Curse(Shudder)

Some crazy tonal whiplash here, you can't really do a double feature of two more different films but I'm glad I did. Noroi immediately jumps right into the mix as one of my favorite found footage films, it's just so well thought out and effective at building atmosphere and dread. It's a gradual build, you have to be willing to pay close attention to the first 30 minutes or so when not a whole lot has happened yet, but as it goes your attention will be rewarded. Noroi delivers some truly haunting imagery in it's second half, only made that much more affecting by how the stage is set in it's opening scenes.

It's rare to find truly scary horror films these days, and I think this is one that has the potential to really terrify if you're in the right mindset. It's very grounded in reality, right up until the moment that it's not, and that can be a very scary thing. Noroi hasn't always been so easy to track down in the U.S., so definitely check it out on Shudder if you've never seen it.

WATCHED: 1. Evil Bong 2. Let's Scare Jessica to Death 3. Mom and Dad 4. Train to Busan 5. Full Moon High 6. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark 7. It's Alive 8. King Cohen 9. Angel Heart 10. Forbidden World 11. Terrorvision 12. Noroi: The Curse

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 16, 2019

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
10. Valentine (2001)

At a middle school dance, everyone picks on poor outcast Jeremy Melton, none of the girls dance with him. Thirteen years later, someone begins killing the mean girls off. WHO COULD IT BE

Why doesn't he kill the mean boys off? Did he already? This was mediocre as hell. There was an occasional ok kill but the bumbling and incompetent killer and a remarkably stupid ending make it not all that worth watching.
1/5

11. You Might be the Killer

Panicked and in the middle of a camp slasher attack, Sam calls his best friend Chuck, horror aficionado, to help talk him through the situation. Turns out Sam might be the killer. Sam has to figure out exactly what happened while protecting himself from the other camp counselors.

It was clever as a twitter thread, and not quite as clever as it thinks it is as a movie. It was still a pretty entertaining ride, with some fun kills.
3.5/5

*Charlie Charlie: Ouija 3

There's this half-assed Ouija-style game using two pencils and a piece of paper in four quadrants labeled yes and no, and you balance the pencils and ask questions. Apparently you can only dial in very violent ghosts. A haunted house entrepreneur decides to capitalize on the popularity of the game and sets up one of his own.

I don't stop mid-movie very often but goddamn this felt so amateurish and stupid that I just couldn't do it. The movie opens with three sorority house girls playing the game, summoning the spirit, and basically instantly dying. The house operator is so hammy and over-the-top, and his workers were trying far too hard to be comic relief. The players of the game are just a group of random people with no personality or character except 'girl on her phone'. At least, in the 30 minutes I watched.
0/5

12. Downrange

A car of college kids gets waylaid by a sniper.

This reminded me a lot of Frozen: group of kids, trapped by nature, occasionally giving monologues about their lives. In this case nature is a skilled sniper with a rifle. Because they're all ride sharing, they don't really have the camaraderie you would expect in a group of friends. I think the movie could have used more interpersonal moments, although, the few it did have were poorly handled. It's a pretty tense and believable situation and mostly enjoyable movie although I think it goes on a little long.
3/5

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

You now have to watch Countdown to Looking Glass, which is sort of on the border of these films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg

8. Countdown to Looking Glass (1984)

This is the most realistic “crisis news” movie I’ve watched so far in terms of setting up a series of believable worldwide events that could lead to a nuclear confrontation. Unlike the others, it mixes in scenes from the off-camera lives of the news crew that help contextualize the shipping blockades and troop movements they’re reporting on. The last thirty minutes builds a lot of tension, but some combination of budget and that push for realism brought about my biggest found footage pet peeve: a climax you can barely see thanks to camera glitches, darkness, and movement. I’d have honestly preferred some cheesy, dated special effect, but the movie was enjoyable anyway.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Watched: 1. Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) 2. The Other (1972) 3. Bloody Birthday 4. Bad Dreams (1988) 5. The Car (1977) 6. Without Warning (1994) 7. Special Bulletin (1983) 8. Countdown to Looking Glass (1984)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What do you think of the "see ya later, suckers!" ending?