Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The ui having a big open space next to 3d world (and the fact that it's called extra game styles) makes me think we'll eventually get more styles in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh gosh competitive Mario Bros.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was not expecting online multiplayer. That's so sick.

The only thing I feel like this game is missing is being able to set up your own worlds.

Overbite posted:

My worry about clear conditions is that it will give people even more incentive to skip levels. I can't find the last big coin, skip

On the other hand it's going to give makers a ton of tools for making interesting puzzle levels.

e: I'm a bit confused about the Moon & Night Theme - they said something about unlocking night theme so you don't have to place a moon. Is the moon the thing that triggers the additional mechanics?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 15, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yeah, so, I'd like to draw your attention to this obvious gap to the right of Super Mario 3D World style, and the use of plural.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, so, I'd like to draw your attention to this obvious gap to the right of Super Mario 3D World style, and the use of plural.

Incredible, and I think it's finally time for them to give us some SMB2/USA love.

Bring back Wart!

Also, I still really want overworlds/campaign making.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/1128791284582363136?s=21

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

I didn't think SMB2 was an actual possibility due to the different mechanics, but given how they've implemented this where 3D World is it's own thing and you can't go back and switch styles makes me believe it can happen. Could be something they hold onto for DLC though.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I still really want overworlds/campaign making.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but this is probably the last direct before it comes out. If they didn't touch on it at all then it's probably not in :(

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

online multiplayer holy gently caress

dlc game styles gently caress yes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was not expecting online multiplayer. I’m going to play this game so loving much.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I wonder if 3d world style will have different physics?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It goes by really quick but one of the potential clear conditions you can set is "reach the goal without landing after leaving the ground" which is definitely interesting. Potentially they could have all kinds of stuff like "don't collect a single coin" challenges.

Another new thing I noticed is the badges on the maker profile. I'm guessing these will still control your ability to upload courses, but the icons suggest different ways to get them. It looks like two are for getting likes on your stages, two for completing stages, one for setting world records, and four for doing endless mode. There's one more that just looks like >>>> that I'm not sure about. Maybe participating in versus mode?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

g0lbez posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but this is probably the last direct before it comes out. If they didn't touch on it at all then it's probably not in :(

Game comes out after E3, and there's still that obviously missing game style, so the game will probably show up in the E3 direct. I'm still holding out some hope. It could even be a thing in that invitational.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
They didn't mention anything about local co-op, versus, outside of building, right? I hope that's a thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sounds like co-op is random level selection. I really think they ought to give everyone in the game a chance to pick a level. I want to force my co-op partners to play my stuff!

GigaPeon posted:

They didn't mention anything about local co-op, versus, outside of building, right? I hope that's a thing.

They showed that nearby play thing where it looks like everyone needs their own Switch to play together. Pretty dumb if that's the only way to do it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mario Maker 2 was already a must buy for me but this game has everything I wanted so far except a map maker/linking levels together. Can't wait until this is out.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Um, obviously it's going to be a game where Mario is the playable character (golf).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A golf mode like that one minigame they make you play a thousand times in Wario Land 3 would be... awful, but I hope they put it in anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Clear Condition alone is loving awesome but man all I need is a level map so we can make our own Worlds, thought they'd put something like that in but ah well. Still a day 1 buy because holy gently caress so much content.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rirse posted:

8 bit costumes are gone it seems as no mention of amiibos at all.

This is sad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going to remake the one good level I made in Mario Maker 1.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Last Visible Dog posted:

As for dream features I'd like to see, there's one simple one I'd love: the ability to divide up your level into distinct areas. I'm not talking anything fancy, just being able to add/remove little walls on your course map where it's already got the screen length indicators. And these walls would act as the edge of a screen, so the camera would stop scrolling beyond it, and nothing on the other side would load. It would make a huge difference when making courses with a lot of doors or pipes, where you want to convey, say, an area that's inside a house, or a number of single-screen underground secrets. Right now, all you can do is either space these areas far apart, which can be wasteful, or else allow the player to see the other bits of the level beyond the walls, which can be awkward.
I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, though.

Oh man, I got my wish, and they implemented it in such a simple manner, too! I didn't actually expect this one to happen!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm going to remake the one good level I made in Mario Maker 1.

i'm going to make it first, and take all the credit

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

J-Spot posted:

Sounds like co-op is random level selection. I really think they ought to give everyone in the game a chance to pick a level. I want to force my co-op partners to play my stuff!

They showed that nearby play thing where it looks like everyone needs their own Switch to play together. Pretty dumb if that's the only way to do it.

I think going through randomly selected levels is specifically for the network play mode whether with online or local players. I'm pretty sure you can play specific multiplayer levels or else this wording wouldn't make sense. Also, there's some multiplayer looking icon in the "my course" section at 0:31.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Another blink and you'll miss it thing I noticed: you can now "boo" a level you don't like. On the one hand I will be more than happy to slam that button every time some fucker puts a thwomp above the starting location or puts a door over a pit, but I kind of prefer leaving that little bit of negativity out of the game. Hitting the skip button was cathartic enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Another blink and you'll miss it thing I noticed: you can now "boo" a level you don't like. On the one hand I will be more than happy to slam that button every time some fucker puts a thwomp above the starting location or puts a door over a pit, but I kind of prefer leaving that little bit of negativity out of the game. Hitting the skip button was cathartic enough.

I bet they won't show the downvotes and instead just push disliked levels down the likelihood of appearing. But saying, "This is a bad level," every time I come to a place where there's four path options and three of them kill you will make me feel better. (It's the third one, BTW. Just human psychology that if someone does this, they're almost definitely going to make the third one the correct path.)

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

J-Spot posted:

It seems like the camera locks to your character on your screen in the multiplayer modes so they wouldn't have to use a dynamically zooming camera (which would be weird in the 16/8-bit versions), or lock the screen to the fastest/slowest player's progress, so everyone on has to play on their own Switch is the natural solution.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

creationist believer posted:

It seems like the camera locks to your character on your screen in the multiplayer modes so they wouldn't have to use a dynamically zooming camera (which would be weird in the 16/8-bit versions), or lock the screen to the fastest/slowest player's progress, so everyone on has to play on their own Switch is the natural solution.

Ah, that's a good point.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

*shoves way into thread*
Um, allow me to gamexplain this for you, ladies.
I may have watched the direct like 3 more times already.

The video showed every object from Super Mario Maker 1 other than costume mushrooms. (Except Monty Moles? which were in the reveal trailer.)
It appears that course codes are now 9 digit alphanumerics, instead of hexadecimal.
They implied liquid level changes are restricted by level (to forest for water, and castle for lava).
There is no evidence so far of how many sub levels we're allowed. (They've only showed the number 1 on the marker so far.)
Coop play is one person per switch because they didn't do any split screen, but oddly coop making requires single joycons?

J-Spot posted:

It goes by really quick but one of the potential clear conditions you can set is "reach the goal without landing after leaving the ground" which is definitely interesting. Potentially they could have all kinds of stuff like "don't collect a single coin" challenges.

Another new thing I noticed is the badges on the maker profile. I'm guessing these will still control your ability to upload courses, but the icons suggest different ways to get them. It looks like two are for getting likes on your stages, two for completing stages, one for setting world records, and four for doing endless mode. There's one more that just looks like >>>> that I'm not sure about. Maybe participating in versus mode?

The symbols match.

Here are some more dumb things I spotted:
You can draw miiverse style pictures.

Don't everyone rush to draw penises at once.

For some reason when you get the car it shows the super famicon logo?

This is probably the giant mushroom.

It's likely you can change theme colors in some manner. (This ground tile type is always blue in SMB3 and SMM1.)

BTW, it did not appear that you can custom assign background decorations.

Here's a new block in Mario 1 style. It just looks like a wood block to me, but those were the zelda type pyramids in Mario 1 before.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

DalaranJ posted:

Here's a new block in Mario 1 style. It just looks like a wood block to me, but those were the zelda type pyramids in Mario 1 before.

Is that a non-breakable block in the desert style maybe?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

creationist believer posted:

Is that a non-breakable block in the desert style maybe?

It was in sky style, but there's not a lot of evidence for there being new block types so you may have identified it correctly.

e: It's at 3:07, have a look for yourself since that cloud style is also new.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 16, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Still miss worlds but I guess I'll still get the game. drat

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Holy poo poo that trailer owned, I'm so hyped for this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay so what's on everyone's wishlist now that they've covered so many of the things people wanted:

- Maps and secret exits
- A website for queuing up levels like in the original
- Charging Chucks
- semi-solid slopes
- tilted pipes
- Mario 2

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

For some reason when you get the car it shows the super famicon logo?

It might be a sound effect attached to the car.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Argue posted:

Okay so what's on everyone's wishlist now that they've covered so many of the things people wanted:

- Ice Flower and other power ups in general
- Ability to queue up your own stages or bookmarked/downloaded stages in online multiplayer co-op mode
- Blue Yoshi
- Ability to reupload levels without losing stars and comments
- Pokey (come on Nintendo how can we have desert stages without Pokey?)

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
give me the Yoshi's Island style

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Overbite posted:

My worry about clear conditions is that it will give people even more incentive to skip levels. I can't find the last big coin, skip

who cares though? if people don't want to play trickmaster nate's ghosthouse of tricks them skipping it doesn't hurt nate or the people who like that style of play.

That Dry Bones shell looks amazing and I'm excited to play with it.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

DalaranJ posted:

It's likely you can change theme colors in some manner. (This ground tile type is always blue in SMB3 and SMM1.)

That’s probably the subspace for the SMB3 desert theme. It was the color scheme for the pyramid level in SMB3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Low-key one of my favorite additions is the on/off rails. That was one of the first specific objects I wanted added in MM1, because rails are real useful for setting things up and having more control is even better.