Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Alder posted:

Law school a good idea in 2019? I don't know any lawyers and I wasn't sure where to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-UEqJ85KE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Alder posted:

Law school a good idea in 2019? I don't know any lawyers and I wasn't sure where to ask.

I had a bunch of bad joke answers lined up, but I'll spare you -- no. If you live in the US it's almost certainly not a good idea to go to law school, because it's either a bad bargain, or you are good enough at school and test-taking that you could get into a better grad program and onto a better career track.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Alder posted:

Better than it was in 2009

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

But still, no.

Just read the Toona saga in the op.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Paging Nice Piece of Fish with the latest & greatest out of Norway:

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1128410312825348096

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Paging Nice Piece of Fish with the latest & greatest out of Norway:

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1128410312825348096

Yeaaaah...

Gotta say, I didn't actually imagine she could sink any lower after her last husband, but she certainly did. The royal family has been... lukewarm publicly. The only good thing about it is that I can now call out republicans for being racist against the royal family, which is nice.

That said I'm totally rolling a shaman named Durek in WoW Classic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

No it isn't.

Don't go to law school.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Remember how last month job numbers went up like 240k and the unemployment rate went down to 3.7%? Well, the legal job market lost 700 jobs.

You might get a couple months a year where the legal market gains 1000 jobs but it always ends up with a net gain per year of 1-2k (and yes it was even worse in 2009). Weigh this against law schools pooping out 12-15k law grads a year nationwide and you see where this is going.

Go do something else instead of joining a dying guild.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Alder posted:

I graduated law school last year and I have a great job with good pay that allowed me to buy a nice house in the suburbs.

I’m also not a lawyer, I completely wrecked my life while in law school, redeveloped latent alcoholism, had an affair due to the stress of law school, got divorced, there’s no jobs, most of my friends are making incomes they could have made using their undergrad degree, 99% of public service loan forgiveness applications are denied, and truthfully, unless you’re getting a full scholarship to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, it’s just a bad idea.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Counterpoint: actually there is none haha

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I guess my bottom line is: if you were in a situation where law school was a good idea, you would not have any desire to ask...and you would also be independently wealthy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 16, 2019

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I got a full scholarship at U Iowa, got the job I wanted when I applied, and doubled my pre-law school salary. I generally enjoy what I do. I started law school in 2014.

I'm still roughly $36,000 in debt, it's difficult to build up a down-payment for a home, and I'm less interesting than I was before I went to law school.

In conclusion, law school is a land of contrasts.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toona the Cat posted:

I graduated law school last year and I have a great job with good pay that allowed me to buy a nice house in the suburbs.

I’m also not a lawyer, I completely wrecked my life while in law school, redeveloped latent alcoholism, had an affair due to the stress of law school, got divorced, there’s no jobs, most of my friends are making incomes they could have made using their undergrad degree, 99% of public service loan forgiveness applications are denied, and truthfully, unless you’re getting a full scholarship to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, it’s just a bad idea.

well at least we finally think you're cool, and if that isn't worth torching your entire life over I don't know what is

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Lol @ affair due to stress of law school. It simply couldn't be avoided.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

:lol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol at the idea law school is stressful

if i had an affair every time my life was as stressful as law school i would have run out of women in the world by now

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

evilweasel posted:

lol at the idea law school is stressful

if i had an affair every time my life was as stressful as law school i would have run out of women in the world by now

I'd have someone glued to my lap at all times.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Go to law school, this thread needs new blood and fresh meat.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alder posted:

Nursing school will get you a decent job after 2-3 years of schooling with opportunities to go to CRNA or NP school. PA school is 2.5 years and you make ~100k out of the gate and potentially more if you’re in a rural area. These jobs will be relatively secure and high paying over 20-30 years and generally can’t be automated. I would strongly consider it if you’re looking for something with higher education. Comparable rates of alcoholism too if you’re in stressful fields!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lote posted:

Nursing school will get you a decent job after 2-3 years of schooling with opportunities to go to CRNA or NP school. PA school is 2.5 years and you make ~100k out of the gate and potentially more if you’re in a rural area. These jobs will be relatively secure and high paying over 20-30 years and generally can’t be automated. I would strongly consider it if you’re looking for something with higher education. Comparable rates of alcoholism too if you’re in stressful fields!

Yeah but I only have to clean up figurative poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lote posted:

My friend did nursing school and hates the work and the people, plus it rapidly destroys your body. Apparently most medical personnel are incredibly inept and callous and it's real demoralizing. But hey, at least it's a real career with real job opportunities!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This thread always assumes lawyers will for some reason be good at and enjoy jobs that are vastly different and have their own stresses simply because career prospects are better.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

This thread always assumes lawyers will for some reason be good at and enjoy jobs that are vastly different and have their own stresses simply because career prospects are better.

I just assume most people don’t want to be unemployed, underemployed, or stuck in contract work with no benefits.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Serious question: what do you actually want to do if you get the degree? If the answer isn't "represent the indigent against the full power of the government and police for crappy pay and lots of stress" then no, go do something else.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Pook Good Mook posted:

In the past 12 months, the Dallas bar has lost 11 members to suicide.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If I was concerned about min/maxing my life I would've been an arsonist.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently most medical personnel are incredibly inept and callous and it's real demoralizing.

probably got talked into doing it instead of law school

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do you want to wipe bodily fluids off of obese people at 2 am?? Well tell you what I have a career for you

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you want to wipe bodily fluids off of obese people at 2 am?? Well tell you what I have a career for you

Marrying a lawyer is not a career

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1129193168942112768?s=21

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

It says pepe love "pop" (the drink). I knew he was a bad character.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

nm posted:

It says pepe love "pop" (the drink). I knew he was a bad character.

Though props to the lawyers for finally finding a beneficial use for copyright litigation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Some recent law school grad has the greatest federal clerkship in a while and the judge is likely telling him he can’t talk about it

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
FYI, thread favorite sci-fi Children of Time has a sequel out - Children of Ruin

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

FYI, thread favorite sci-fi Children of Time has a sequel out - Children of Ruin

gently caress yeah

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Pook Good Mook posted:

But the prospective 1L asking isn't a lawyer, and we have no reason to think they have the aptitude or will enjoy law, either. Most people dream of going to law school chasing misguided assumptions of wealth and prestige, not because they have the Right Stuff for law.

What I'm trying to say is that I should have been an engineer. My engineer friends make good money and seem happy.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Summer associate season is here god drat I can’t wait to see some poor decision-making to make me feel better about myself

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

Summer associate season is here god drat I can’t wait to see some poor decision-making to make me feel better about myself

As far as I can tell summers basically get a limitless budget and no real work in order to trick them into thinking we live a desirable lifestyle. I lateraled in so I got none of that and I'm not mad or jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It's just nonstop happy hours, suites at the ballpark, parties at the race track, bowling nights, taco trucks and live music. Sure, it can be hard sometimes, but hey...work hard, play hard, that's our motto here at Fuchoff, Uschitz & Dye! Go to law school!