Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/flood-plains-1.5135336

lmfao

best take ever.

"if these people who keep getting flooded can't buy new chumps to hold their inflated bag, their boaterhome will be worthless!"

The Ottawa River isn't even a river anymore, it's a series of about 13 big dams and reservoirs that each raise the natural level of the river by 6-20m, managed in the dark by people focused on generating electricity, not preventing property damage.
There's hundreds of dams if you count the tributaries. These man made floods really need to start being counted, at least partially, as an externality of hydro power so we can get to the nuclear holy land faster. There really needs to be an inquiry deep into how OPG decides which logs to remove and which to add. There never will be, I can't imagine the province letting them take on that kind of liability. They're making decisions like flood arnprior to save hull which should really be made by an organization with some transparency and accountability. There has to be room for improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
A guy I was sandbagging with was arguing with the home owner while we're chest deep that it couldn't be climate change because that should mean less snow. I explained the povo idea and kind of broached it in terms of increased likelihood rather than this is climate change (eg. we'll probably get more snow in snowy years and arctic air slips down more often for a late spring increasing odds of ground still being frozen by the time heavy spring rains come) and he didn't dismiss it outright so progress I guess. tbh the "this is climate change" people annoy me just as much as the not climate change people, it's just probability. Either way, climate change isn't the reason they can't start dropping the ottawa a couple of weeks earlier to save us 2-3 feet of river level.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
have you considered not living in a floodplain?

..i say, living in what was clearly a basin of an ancient sea

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If I wake up and there's a giant glacier blocking the st lawrence again, I will concede that, perhaps, the climate has changed.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

infernal machines posted:

Its funny, a friend of a friend does property law, and she lives in Calgary. She was up here in Edmonton and was shocked that we haven't developed the river valley more, since you could fit a lot of houses down there.

She made these comments as Calgarians were being evacuated due to flooding.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The Ottawa River isn't even a river anymore, it's a series of about 13 big dams and reservoirs that each raise the natural level of the river by 6-20m, managed in the dark by people focused on generating electricity, not preventing property damage.
There's hundreds of dams if you count the tributaries. These man made floods really need to start being counted, at least partially, as an externality of hydro power so we can get to the nuclear holy land faster. There really needs to be an inquiry deep into how OPG decides which logs to remove and which to add. There never will be, I can't imagine the province letting them take on that kind of liability. They're making decisions like flood arnprior to save hull which should really be made by an organization with some transparency and accountability. There has to be room for improvement.

hydro power is cool and good but only if more than zero dollars is spent on maintenance and planning

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Under Harper, Canadian scientists were silenced about climate change. Phone calls were monitored. Scientists were threatened, ruined. They would be followed around by government minders. It's pretty hosed up.

don't forget investigators looking into his poo poo mysteriously vanishing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yinlock posted:

hydro power is cool and good but only if more than zero dollars is spent on maintenance and planning

yeah it's like nuclear. nuclear is great! until the public decides that paying to maintain infrastructure is too costly.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dreylad posted:

yeah it's like nuclear. nuclear is great! until the public decides that paying to maintain infrastructure is too costly.

the rich don't really like that whole "maintenance" thing, it sounds like poor work

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

it's ok, we're still rebounding from all that ice that was here. sure hope it doesn't come back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

priznat posted:

erm, but if a house is on a flood plain and catastrophic floods are getting worse, nobody would or should buy it for any price. Governments should prevent people from moving there since theyd just be bailing them out. (literally)

living in a floodplain, just like living in an economically decaying rural township with more miles of road than humans, is an important part of the Canadian cultural fabric, and it is a moral imperative that we support it however crystal clear the eventual consequence is, and whatever the cost

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mind you Id rather burn billions rescuing peoples inbred show dogs from the top of McMansion roofs than give Bombardier bus fare, so its maybe not the biggest problem

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
happy 100th anniversary of the winnipeg general strike

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Doug Ford got booed at the send off for Ontario's Special Olympics athletes last night.

I'm trying to be better person so I'm not going to make a joke.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Yinlock posted:

don't forget investigators looking into his poo poo mysteriously vanishing

Wait, what?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Another Bill posted:

Doug Ford got booed at the send off for Ontario's Special Olympics athletes last night.

I hope by the special olympians

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yinlock posted:

the rich don't really like that whole "maintenance" thing, it sounds like poor work

what if there were a state-run custodian of some important resource that the private sector can't be trusted to not gently caress up

it could run a bit like a company, except instead of trying to turn a profit, their goal should be responsible, accountable stewardship

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DariusLikewise posted:

happy 100th anniversary of the winnipeg general strike

Proud to be a descendant of a striker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
gently caress em up, Horgan!!

about god drat time.

Not optimistic this will lead to charges or anything but shining a light on this crap is way overdue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

gently caress em up, Horgan!!

about god drat time.

Not optimistic this will lead to charges or anything but shining a light on this crap is way overdue.

They're going back to UWOs and we're going to find out in 20 years that 85% of UWOs were used within 5km of a first nations community, and less than 1% of them were used on L plate lambos with frunks full of cash.

lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kinda gettin ahead of ourselves here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Kinda gettin ahead of ourselves here.

Yeah, you're right, they're gonna try to get in between the only money coming into the province and the bullshit businesses it's propping up like mercedes dealers don't make campaign contributions.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Yeah, you're right, they're gonna try to get in between the only money coming into the province and the bullshit businesses it's propping up like mercedes dealers don't make campaign contributions.

I always assume the NDP are super concerned with the stability of the Liberal Party's campaign contribution machine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

"wow, this is the fist time i've ever been booed"

it ain't gonna be the last, dipshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

*nods wisely as he sits on his bed, on an island atop one of the most active fault zones in the world*

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I'd believe it more if they didn't announce public inquiries and we only found out about them after doors were smashed down and photos of mountains of laptops and paperwork are infront of the podium

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you want to announce it so that people might come to you unprompted in search of lenience.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I think you want to announce it so that people might come to you unprompted in search of lenience.

Leniency would be an hour a day of open skies above their head for the next 25 years

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Leniency would be an hour a day of open skies above their head for the next 25 years

sure, and if you cooperate that hour can be during daylight

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

sure, and if you cooperate that hour can be during daylight

Bleeding heart hippy!

Point taken on the cooperation thing thougj

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Donald Trump just pardoned motherfucking Conrad Black

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Another Bill posted:

They can keep him.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe he will return.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

probably just to gaslight people saying he hasn't pardoned any black people.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm thinking of joining the Communist Party of Canada, and I wanted to see if there are any serious issues with the party that should make me reconsider. I asked D&D and they told me the party was garbage because they support Maduro, FARC, and protested that Huawei executive getting arrested. Also some weird takes on twitter from 2017, including calling a neo-Nazi a Nazi and then something to do with fluoride. Anyways, D&D doesn't exactly have me convinced. So what's the consensus here in Cspam?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kindest Forums User posted:

I'm thinking of joining the Communist Party of Canada, and I wanted to see if there are any serious issues with the party that should make me reconsider. I asked D&D and they told me the party was garbage because they support Maduro, FARC, and protested that Huawei executive getting arrested. Also some weird takes on twitter from 2017, including calling a neo-Nazi a Nazi and then something to do with fluoride. Anyways, D&D doesn't exactly have me convinced. So what's the consensus here in Cspam?

:hmmyes: See this here is your problem

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kindest Forums User posted:

Its bad op

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
the posters here are the same ones in d&d who think youre nuts

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

the posters here are the same ones in d&d who think youre nuts

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU