Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

Unrelated, but I want a willpower brute/scrap/tank. What should I pair with it? Already have claws, spines, and stone melee.

Now I have a silly idea for an Elec/WP Brute that just runs every toggle ever because there's no way he's going to run out of endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Relentless posted:

I have recently seen numerous SJWs (Street Justice/Willpower).

Alternatively, it has the End Recovery to cover Titan Weapon. Dual Blades is good and fun too. Personally, I have a soft spot for War Mace, but mostly because it includes a bunch of regular rear end "baseball bat" options.

i made the ultimate SJW (technically WSJ..)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Holy poo poo I just saw that this opened back up. The very first thing I did was go about remaking my main from back in the day. I guess I hadn’t played two years prior to its close, so there are some fun surprises like expanded power pools and new power set combos. Were these all in prior to servers closing, or are some of these later changes put in by the private server people?

Loving the new sorcery pool power set. Flight and teleportation in one? My mastermind is a fan.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

uncurable mlady posted:

i made the ultimate SJW (technically WSJ..)

This looks nothing like the Wall Street Journal.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The Stalker eliminates problems. When there's a huge pull of ghosts and bigger ghosts, and everyone is missing with every attack, the Stalker walks up to the Ruin Mage spamming debuffs and just... ends him. The Engineer summoning shield drones, the Quantum Gunner who's about to snipe your peacebringer, the weird awakened seer who has like five pets and seven mechanics that no one understands, they just topple over one by one in the back of the fight. And then the Brute and the Scrapper murder all the minions and high five before rushing off to the next pull, where the problem unit the team composition kind of struggles against doesn't seem to do much before dying.

Yeah, they can't handle huge teams alone. Yeah, they're not the flashiest dps. But unless you're fighting big piles of tofu like the Buttonmen or the Shivans, a Stalker goes a long, long way.

Important note about this that I don't think people widely know about : They hugely toned down Quantum Gunners and Void Hunters to the point where they're basically a non-issue. They used to be kill on sight because they could blow Kheldians the gently caress up but now at worst they only deal a small amount of bonus damage to Khelds (and I think it's like, properly typed and everything). This came about when VEATs launched busted as hell and had no comparable weakness, plus Kheldians were never noticeably strong that they needed a special Achilles' heel in the first place.

mastajake posted:

Now you guys have got me wanting to make a claws guy. Figure I'll pair it with kin but I'm not committed to it just yet.

So if I want him to reasonably do all praet content (along with undercover stuff, turning off xp for awhile, etc.) but then probably do a lot of goon TFs, what is the best AT? Stalker is nice to skip to the end of a lot of missions done for story and no xp, but I could also just take the concealment pool I guess.

I realize it's subjective; I'm just looking for input.

Hide is a stronger cloak than Stealth from the Concealment pool, but also Praetoria has a shitload of ambushes and I don't remember if they ever fixed their ability to see straight through invisibility powers.

HPanda posted:

Were these all in prior to servers closing, or are some of these later changes put in by the private server people?

Half and half, basically. The starting point was I24 which never made it off of the test server back on live, but it also includes I25 which is all of the additional changes added by the private server.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
What is a good support powerset that has a more involved gameplay? I used to be especially fond of Kinetics, actually capped my one and only Lvl 50 as Ice/Kin Controller and even did some raids and whatnot million years ago. Empathy looks a bit boring and I have no idea about other powersets so any advice is welcome

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

My main is now a Katana/WP because I really like defences. When her build is done it'll have something like Defence softcapped all positions, 600%+ regen with more for Rise of the Challenge, and 90% S/L and 15%+ resistance everything else, which is nice since I like to just be very comfortable and tank everything and let everyone shine and do their cool blasty things.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

Hide is a stronger cloak than Stealth from the Concealment pool, but also Praetoria has a shitload of ambushes and I don't remember if they ever fixed their ability to see straight through invisibility powers.

My aforementioned DB/Fire stalker can confirm that they most certainly did not.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Inzombiac posted:

And I think it needs to be repeated for any new players:

The designers did a pretty dang good job tuning the game for the lowest level of power.

You can reasonably solo a lot of content with a FF/Archery defender if you really, REALLY wanted to.

What's nice is that you should be teaming up as much as possible and in doing so the shortcomings of your build will not mean anything.

Play any combo you want. Whatever makes you happy.

You can even have separate team and solo builds if your solo strategy relies on things like force exploding mobs into the next zip code that might not go over well on teams.

Of course you'll need another set of enhancements for the other build, but they probably won't be as mad optimal as your main.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 15, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Also

quote:

Regular Maintenance Schedule
After our migration to OVH, we will be establishing 3 regular maintenance windows in order to give you a more predictable downtime warning.

Our schedule will be 12:00 PM - 2 PM UTC every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. This schedule may change over time, and will almost certainly shift during Summer Time.

Our downtime will rarely fill this entire window, and we may not need to go down during every window, but we're reserving those slots for any maintenance that may be needed.

Please note that emergency maintenance may still need to occur at short notice.
https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,1551.msg9342.htm

That is every
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
10am-12pm Eastern
7am-9am Pacific
The servers will be down, unless I got screwed up on my times.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2019

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

John Murdoch posted:

Important note about this that I don't think people widely know about : They hugely toned down Quantum Gunners and Void Hunters to the point where they're basically a non-issue. They used to be kill on sight because they could blow Kheldians the gently caress up but now at worst they only deal a small amount of bonus damage to Khelds (and I think it's like, properly typed and everything). This came about when VEATs launched busted as hell and had no comparable weakness, plus Kheldians were never noticeably strong that they needed a special Achilles' heel in the first place.
I haven't had much high level teaming with a Kheldian recently, but are Cyst Crystals still a threat? I loved those little evil things.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jazerus posted:

once upon a time people were more discriminatory about team composition but everyone seems to have chilled out about it now. most teams just take everybody who wants to join and roll with whatever composition they end up with

This is one of my favorite things about this server so far. I loved the game back in the day, but groups were often stuck in the early MMO 'must have optimal group' mentality that ended up with every group wanting an emp defender or whatever. My favorite groups are generally a ton of random archetypes just blowing stuff up everywhere.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I haven't had much high level teaming with a Kheldian recently, but are Cyst Crystals still a threat? I loved those little evil things.

They no longer spawn in random missions, only in scripted places like the ITF.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I was never super into heavy team play, but my experience back in the day was way more that people just wanted to make sure there was someone capable of tanking, someone on support in some form, and then whatever else. The devs did a great job making sure pretty much everything was viable, at least after the first year or so.

So does anyone have any quick and dirty impressions for any of the newer power sets? Let’s say new as in anything post 2010.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is one of my favorite things about this server so far. I loved the game back in the day, but groups were often stuck in the early MMO 'must have optimal group' mentality that ended up with every group wanting an emp defender or whatever. My favorite groups are generally a ton of random archetypes just blowing stuff up everywhere.

Having a balanced group is almost suboptimal to just bringing 6 Spiders and having all the auras, or so many control sets no boss ever gets to do anything, or a ton of support sets giving everyone bubbles and speed buffs and constant regeneration or a bunch of full fury brutes deleting enemies.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

CoH definitely gets very silly when you stack multiples of the same thing

I remember one of my favorite gimmick modes was when two friends and me made three Fire/Dark Corruptors and just threw three Tar Pits and three Rains of Fire down on each mob group

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Relentless posted:

Having a balanced group is almost suboptimal to just bringing 6 Spiders and having all the auras, or so many control sets no boss ever gets to do anything, or a ton of support sets giving everyone bubbles and speed buffs and constant regeneration or a bunch of full fury brutes deleting enemies.

A full team of 8 Thugs/ Masterminds using Gang War. :getin:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I forgot how much I liked tip missions tho mostly because of the framing

hero/vigilante are kinda meh just because the answer in my head is always "why cant I call a buddy to do the other half"

vigilante->villain is hilariously dickish

anything rogue is awesome because you are basically the worlds worst villain

you are a god in mortal form but all your work is small time get rich poo poo

I would do tip missions all day if there were more of them and the drop rate was higher

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Ugh I need to get this up and running because I love Robbin banks

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I forgot how much I loved RADIO RADIOOOOOOO! Free opportunity!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So there was a version of Mids' Hero Designer that had been modified by Pine to support the I24 stuff. It had most of the I25 stuff, except Kinetics and Thermal Radiation for Masterminds were blank.

Pine just release a new version, with full support for I25.

Pine posted:

Just unzip the folder and install with setup.exe.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Or loving don't install, and just, y'know, run the actual executible three folders in.

Seriously, what the hell is the point of that installer.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Kheldarn posted:

So there was a version of Mids' Hero Designer that had been modified by Pine to support the I24 stuff. It had most of the I25 stuff, except Kinetics and Thermal Radiation for Masterminds were blank.

Pine just release a new version, with full support for I25.

So this is the same thing as what we have in discord without needing to add the additional patch on top of it? Double checking before I edit any posts in the channel since it looks like it's identical to what we've already had.

e: I checked the Homecoming forums, if you already downloaded what's in our discord don't bother getting this, it isn't any different.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 16, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

So this is the same thing as what we have in discord without needing to add the additional patch on top of it? Double checking before I edit any posts in the channel since it looks like it's identical to what we've already had.

e: I checked the Homecoming forums, if you already downloaded what's in our discord don't bother getting this, it isn't any different.

Ah. I'd been running v2.14. Didn't know that there was a v2.21 before today. Cheers!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Ah. I'd been running v2.14. Didn't know that there was a v2.21 before today. Cheers!

I grabbed the patched version of it off Leo's forums and pinned it in discord about 3 weeks ago. :shobon: Nobody checks the pins!

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Platonicsolid posted:

I forgot how much I loved RADIO RADIOOOOOOO! Free opportunity!

omg how could I forget the radio

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Tsurupettan posted:

I grabbed the patched version of it off Leo's forums and pinned it in discord about 3 weeks ago. :shobon: Nobody checks the pins!

I check the pins, though I'm not sure if Kheldarn is in the discord.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

Leo's forums are still around?

OgNar posted:

I check the pins, though I'm not sure if Kheldarn is in the discord.

I am not. That's why I missed it.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
What level recipes is recommended for making IO sets? Is it mostly 50s, or a mix of 50s and lower level ones?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ghosts! posted:

What level recipes is recommended for making IO sets? Is it mostly 50s, or a mix of 50s and lower level ones?

Make IO sets at their maximum level.
Catalyze non-purple sets.
+5 non-sets and purple IOs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

There's a lot of discussion about TA being bad or good, and so I've been thinking about how I'd change the set to improve it. Since the power is in the player's hands now, it will be possible to buff various sets that are a bit lackluster.

My thoughts below are how to improve the abilities primarily by changing numbers on them or adding minor functionality, without replacing anything wholesale. I think these are pretty conservative and would make the set feel a lot better to play, but it still wouldn't come anywhere close to some of the bullshit from kin, cold or time.

T1, Entangling Arrow. This is actually the one ability I don't know how I'd improve. It's kind of pointless. Making it an AOE is actually a negative so that's not it. I can't think of any effects I'd suggest adding to it. I'd actually replace this one outright. What about something like a ground targeted aoe medical arrow or something? Giving the set a heal is almost a bit eyerolling and cliche though.

T2, Flash Arrow. Let me start off by saying I think this ability is underrated in its actual usage. It is a to-hit debuff on a short rchg with an ENORMOUS radius. One of the largest in the game. It also doesn't aggro enemies, thus letting you pre-emptively drop it on packs before engaging. I feel it simply needs better numbers. Bump it to a -10% tohit base value for defenders. That'll let you reasonably enhance it to 15-16%ish, and I feel it'd help cut alphas down a fair bit without putting yourself in harm's way by opening with other debuffs.

T3, Glue Arrow. Slow isn't exciting. -Rchg debuffs aren't exciting. This isn't the worst ability but it isn't great either. At the very least, slows help keep enemies together for your friends. I would simply tack on a small autohit def debuff, around -7.5 to -10%. Think of it as 'oh they're all glued down so they can't avoid attacks easily'. This also lets it slot achilles, which is a nice utility boost. I'd also cut the base recharge down by 15-30s.

T4, Ice Arrow. Easy, slap a -regen debuff in it. Not benumb tier, but just -100% regen. Cut cast time to 1.3s.

T5, Poison Gas Arrow is... okay I guess? Sleep itself isn't great, but at least it mules some nice sets. It has a LOT of -dmg. In a perfect world I'd rather see it as a low mag disorient instead of sleep. I'm not sure how big the radius on it is, I'd probably make sure it's at least 15.

T6, Acid Arrow. Needs a radius bump. Make it 15. Otherwise this is fine. There are other abilities that do similar things with a much larger radius.

T7, Disruption Arrow. This ability is fine. I wouldn't do anything to it, really. Very wide radius -res debuff on a reasonable base recharge. If I had to do something, maybe a tiny bit of damage so you could use it to carry sets/procs.

T8, Oil Slick Arrow. This is mostly fine. I'd either bump its radius to 10 or I'd cut the base recharge to 120s.

T9, EMP Arrow. Why do you have a loving crash, what the hell. Get rid of the crash and cut the base recharge to 240s. You could probably do a lot more to it but I'm being conservative. Keep in mind that Blaster has a crashless version of this on a 90s cd with a smaller radius!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I tried making babby’s first Mastermind today. I don’t think I ever played one back on live. But I’m looking forward to playing The Wild Man*, along with his very good boy Yowie.

His battlecry is “I’m Not Wearing Pants!”

*I was sad that “Sasquatch” was taken but gobsmacked that “Wild Man” was not.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

I've been leveling a Warshade and they still loving suck and are STILL kill on sight because they will knockback/stunlock you to death and I only recently could a afford a -KB IO to ix that.

I dunno how bad they used to be but they're not just write-offs now.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

It's been a long time for me but back in the day they did enormous damage as well to you, like "get two-shot at best case scenario" territory

It really wasn't necessary especially given VEATs have no downsides

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone dress down a good Spider build? I hear they get mondo pets.

I got the name Spider Daddy so I can't let it go to waste.

edit:

I'm not proud of myself but it needed to be done

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 16, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

UHD posted:

I forgot how much I liked tip missions tho mostly because of the framing

hero/vigilante are kinda meh just because the answer in my head is always "why cant I call a buddy to do the other half"

vigilante->villain is hilariously dickish

anything rogue is awesome because you are basically the worlds worst villain

you are a god in mortal form but all your work is small time get rich poo poo

I would do tip missions all day if there were more of them and the drop rate was higher

I actually really like the Rogue style missions, and CoV mission styling in general, because I have a tendency to make Spiderman-tier villains anyway so it just sort of fits. I know a lot of people were turned off by CoV because it didn't really mesh with their conquer-the-world villain concepts though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
A quickie guide to archetypes:

Blaster
What it does: You do tons of damage at range, and you die if someone looks at you funny.
Good for beginners: Yes. You'll be defeated a million times, but the penalty for death is very small. Being a squishy will give you a good idea of what you can and cannot handle.
Good powersets: Fire, Water, Ice
No-so-great powersets: Archery, Electric, Dual Pistols

Brute/Scrapper
What it does: You punch people and are very hard to kill. I'm lumping Brutes and Scraps together because they're pretty much the same. Scraps do a bit more damage and Brutes are a bit more sturdy, but it comes down to a few percentage points in both cases.
Good for beginners: Yes.
Good powersets: Titan Weapons, Super Strength, Bio Armor, Electric Armor, Invulnerability
No-so-great powersets: Energy Melee, Kinetic Melee, Staff Melee, Electric Melee, Regeneration, Dark Armor

Tank
What it does: A lot like a brute/scrap, you deal less damage but are pretty much immortal.
Good for beginners: Yes
Good powersets: Titan Weapons, Super Strength, Bio Armor, Electric Armor, Invulnerability
No-so-great powersets: Energy Melee, Kinetic Melee, Staff Melee, Electric Melee, Regeneration, Dark Armor

Stalker
What it does: Another punching archetype. You sneak around and deliver critical hits from hide to take out bosses.
Good for beginners: Honestly you'd be better off starting with a brute/scrap.
Good powersets: Bio Armor, Super Reflexes
No-so-great powersets: Dark Armor, Regeneration

Controller/Dominator
What it does: You make foes weak and helpless. Depending on powerset, you can also buff friends, do damage, and have a pet. I'm lumping these two together because their role is mostly the same.
Good for beginners: Eh. I'd go with a dedicated damager or buffer.
Good powersets: Illusion, Fire, Plant
No-so-great powersets: none

Defender
What it does: Buff allies and debuff foes. Also a splash of damage.
Good for beginners: Yes, as long as you don't intend to solo. If you love to hang back and help your friends out, this is the class for you.
Good powersets: Kinetics, Cold, Dark, Nature, Time. Kinetics in particular will always get you a spot on a team.
No-so-great powersets: Trick Arrow, Sonic

Corruptor
What it does: Halfway between blaster and defender. Blast foes and buff allies.
Good for beginners: A beginner should probably start with a set that does one thing well.
Good powersets: Same as defender
No-so-great powersets: Same as defender

Mastermind
What it does: You have an army of pets, and can command them more precisely than other pets. You can also buff and debuff.
Good for beginners: No. MMs are very powerful and fun, but they play very differently from other classes. Play a blaster or something first.
Good powersets: Robots, Demons, Thugs, Cold, Dark, Kinetics, Time
No-so-great powersets: Ninjas, Mercs

Peacebringer/Warshade
What it does: A whole mishmash of powers. Ranged and melee stuff, a bit of armor, some wacky stuff.
Good for beginners: No. They're more complex than other ATs with not much payoff.
Good powersets: n/a
No-so-great powersets: n/a

Soldiers of Arachnos
What it does: Your choice of melee or ranged, plus they're pretty sturdy, have pets, and can passively buff allies.
Good for beginners: Eh. They're a tad more complex than other classes, but powerful enough to make it worthwhile.
Good powersets: n/a
No-so-great powersets: n/a

Once again, remember that there are no powersets that are completely horrible. If you simply must make a staff/regen scrap, do it.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 16, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wait why is mercs not so great? I'm killing poo poo so fast as Venom Snake I have to keep upping the difficulty.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Not sure if this has been posted here, but someone's working on an optimal case raw DPS spreadsheet. Some of the results are kinda surprising.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19VuZ9zJ_8eKN11JytgaK9mt9Fy-8pjANopb-FGh68Uw/htmlview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I remember Gravity Control being a bad set for Dominators/Controllers, since it only has two actual holds and an intangibility. Was that incorrect or did it get fixed?