Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

cock hero flux posted:

quinoa is one of those words where even though I have learned the correct pronunciation I still somehow feel dumber saying it the right way than I do just going "KWINOAH"

Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proteus Jones posted:

It took my brain far too long to figure out what loving word this was.

"epi-TOME. epi-TOME. What the gently caress is epi-... oh."

When we were growing up, my brother honestly thought Yukon was pronounced YUCK-on.

Look at this guy who never played the Yukon trail and got hoodwinked into buying a bunch of gold sniffing gophers

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I learned a lot of words from books so it was pretty funny in a second year english literature uni tutorial when I said "hyper-bowl" without a trace of shame

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yes, and you call it "Birming Ham" despite the fact that it is obviously "Birming'm"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I learned a lot of words from books so it was pretty funny in a second year english literature uni tutorial when I said "hyper-bowl" without a trace of shame

Don't sweat it, I had an English lit and linguistics professor at uni who pronounced it the same.

Also have class pronouncing gaol wrong in their presentations was funny. I'll never forget my friends face when I told her afterwards that it's just an alternate spelling jail.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Garrand posted:

I didn't learn this fact until I was like 29

Seriously how the gently caress are you supposed to get keen-wa out of that

I'm guessing this is because in english it's difficult to say the "o" sound without ending it with a "u" sound. In spanish, the o in quinoa is short but it's definitely there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Taeke posted:

Don't sweat it, I had an English lit and linguistics professor at uni who pronounced it the same.

Also have class pronouncing gaol wrong in their presentations was funny. I'll never forget my friends face when I told her afterwards that it's just an alternate spelling jail.

Neverwinter Nights taught me this one.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
The word for me was 'Gibraltar'. I had seen it in print when I was maybe 10 and mentally came up with "GIB ruhl tar" with a hard G. I had even heard the word aloud, but never connected that pronounced word "ji BRAWL ter" with the printed version until I was into my 20s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I picked up a dumb habit of mispronouncing words deliberately because :dadjoke: but sometimes they get stuck in my head so now there's now a 50% chance I might accidentally pronounce something like 'vegetables' as "vuh-JETTA-bulls" in any given conversation. If it keeps up I'll have to tell people I had a stroke or something to explain it.

I also have a really annoying :smug: habit of interjecting "Actually it's pronounced [___]" into conversations just to throw my friends off balance and every now and then I'll convince someone that they've been pronouncing a really common word incorrectly their entire life. I have no idea why anyone who knows me IRL would ever trust me on anything like that.

It's 100% this guy's fault:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnPqCjKuac

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I picked up a dumb habit of mispronouncing words deliberately because :dadjoke: but sometimes they get stuck in my head so now there's now a 50% chance I might accidentally pronounce something like 'vegetables' as "vuh-JETTA-bulls"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjOZmjntpqQ

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I lived near Massachusetts and it took me way to long to realize that the city of Worcester is pronounced "WISSTAH!", And that I would never find WISSTAH on a map.

Also I just found out the city of Worcester in the UK is pronounced Wooster.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently Quinoa is not pronounced Kin-oh-a
drat straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I picked up a dumb habit of mispronouncing words deliberately because :dadjoke: but sometimes they get stuck in my head so now there's now a 50% chance I might accidentally pronounce something like 'vegetables' as "vuh-JETTA-bulls" in any given conversation. If it keeps up I'll have to tell people I had a stroke or something to explain it.

I also have a really annoying :smug: habit of interjecting "Actually it's pronounced [___]" into conversations just to throw my friends off balance and every now and then I'll convince someone that they've been pronouncing a really common word incorrectly their entire life. I have no idea why anyone who knows me IRL would ever trust me on anything like that.

I do this, but I've never seen that before. I once convinced my wife that Yosemite was pronounced Yo-sem-ite.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Don Gato posted:

I lived near Massachusetts and it took me way to long to realize that the city of Worcester is pronounced "WISSTAH!", And that I would never find WISSTAH on a map.

:wrongcity:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Don Gato posted:

Think of it this way Worce-ster, not this way Wor-ces-ter

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think it's incredibly irritating when someone does that, I'm no fun at parties though so :shrug:.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

En-cyclo-PAY-dia :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Think of it this way Worce-ster, not this way Wor-ces-ter

Yeah but it IS Wor-cester (etymologically) which makes it hard.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Now what about the sauce?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
BAR-buh-kyoo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Don Gato posted:

And if you go to the College of Wooster people assume you're in Massachusetts

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes, and you call it "Birming Ham" despite the fact that it is obviously "Birming'm"

May I introduce you to Bur-min-ham, Alabama?

I called it Wooster sauce until I was 16. Seemed like something the man would use.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

And if you go to the College of Wooster people assume you're in Massachusetts

And people who live outside of the county don’t know how to pronounce Wooster either.

Also, I’d read somewhere that Pittsburgh was meant to be pronounced Pittsbur-ruh, kinda like Edinburgh.

root beer has a new favorite as of 00:36 on May 16, 2019

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

I pronounce it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8oEcFmQD0&t=134s

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If you're from The South, Mississippi is pronounced Missippi. In Tennessee we have Mare-ville (sp. Maryville) and in Arkansas we have Bly-ville (sp. Blytheville).

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
OK, I guess I have to ask: does everyone pronounce “prescription” as “perscription” or is it just everyone I’ve ever heard say it in real life ever?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I say prescription but I'm super picky about things like that. Nucular and Febuary absolutely kill me and I hear people say them wrong nine times out of ten.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I pronounce it 'pruh' in prescription, but 'per' in 'prerogative'.

I actually had 30 seconds of sheer existential torment when I googled 'perogative'; just refreshing the page over and over trying to make the world make sense

it doesn't make sense

As an aside, why does my brain want to throw in the extra r in february, and the extra h in aughust? Did they purposely teach me the months wrong, as a joke?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheMaskedUgly posted:

extra r in february

This is correct though?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheMaskedUgly posted:

As an aside, why does my brain want to throw in the extra r in february, and the extra h in aughust? Did they purposely teach me the months wrong, as a joke?

If you really want to gently caress with people I can recommend pronouncing the l in almond, as long as you're happy living out a version of a Family Guy sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmqJQ-nc_s

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
Wait, do other people not pronounce the L in almond?

E: I’m sitting here like an idiot chanting “almond” to myself and if anything I notice that I tend to drop the d.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tallest crocodile posted:

Wait, do other people not pronounce the L in almond?

E: I’m sitting here like an idiot chanting “almond” to myself and if anything I notice that I tend to drop the d.

I just googled it and apparently both pronunciations are used, but here in Australia it's pretty much exclusively "Ahmond"

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Memento posted:

This is correct though?

i hate this loving language

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheMaskedUgly posted:

i hate this loving language

:hai:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The more I say these words out loud, the more I feel like I'm misremembering how I talk. I won't know how I say any of it for months.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wouldn't it be nice if spelling was consistent and phonemic so if you knew how to spell a word, you'd always know how to pronounce it, and if you knew how to pronounce a word, you'd always know how to spell it?

Well gently caress you lol we already have that :smugprööh:

e: Next pay-day, barring having been banned by then, I might invest in a :smugprööh:.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

I called it Wooster sauce until I was 16. Seemed like something the man would use.

... but that's correct? What do you call it now?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If you really want to gently caress with people I can recommend pronouncing the l in almond, as long as you're happy living out a version of a Family Guy sketch.

I'm from the Philadelphia area, I just say All-mond.
However there's a couple neighborhoods in Philly where they say AL-mond. (like the name Al).
Linguistically we're in a weird rear end area. We're one of those areas where the words Merry, Marry, and Mary are completely distinct. (I will admit that Mary and Merry are pretty close when I say them). You can also tell when someone grew up in Delaware county, because their accent, despite being 20 minutes away from the rest of the area, is completely different.

Also it's pronounced Wooder, not water.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm from the Philadelphia area, I just say All-mond.
However there's a couple neighborhoods in Philly where they say AL-mond. (like the name Al).
Linguistically we're in a weird rear end area. We're one of those areas where the words Merry, Marry, and Mary are completely distinct. (I will admit that Mary and Merry are pretty close when I say them). You can also tell when someone grew up in Delaware county, because their accent, despite being 20 minutes away from the rest of the area, is completely different.

You guys talk funny. Must be something in the wooder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

burial posted:

OK, I guess I have to ask: does everyone pronounce “prescription” as “perscription” or is it just everyone I’ve ever heard say it in real life ever?
Obligatory obtuse "what's the difference"