Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

The Microsoft Sentinel demo did not go well, unfortunately. :(

What else have you looked at?

So far I've looked at:
Devo - Lol
Gravwell - Probably too good to be true, still evaluating
Chronicle - Amazing Search, VT bolted in, little else
Whaterver that PAN one was called. Exabeam maybe?
Probably some others that I don't remember because they're all poo poo

At this point I'm probably going to go back to developing all the missing components I need for Collaborative Searches in Elastic (Spark plays a huge role here) and pay the drat infrastructure costs. Its really sad no one has just reverse engineered and released "Skunk" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mustache Ride posted:

What else have you looked at?

So far I've looked at:
Devo - Lol
Gravwell - Probably too good to be true, still evaluating
Chronicle - Amazing Search, VT bolted in, little else
Whaterver that PAN one was called. Exabeam maybe?
Probably some others that I don't remember because they're all poo poo

At this point I'm probably going to go back to developing all the missing components I need for Collaborative Searches in Elastic (Spark plays a huge role here) and pay the drat infrastructure costs. Its really sad no one has just reverse engineered and released "Skunk" or something.

Sentinel
Splunk
Logrythm
IBM QRadar

One or two others that were not really that impressive.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
We use Splunk and a third-party provider for doing correlation and analysis of data which has been for the most part fine albeit with lots of headaches to get properly integrated. I'd talk about them but I keep my cards close to my chest but am happy to talk about it in person if we ever meet.

Word of advice: figure out how to not have multi-line items in any log collection you do. Event logs are by far the worst for this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just don't use ArcSight, I have PTSD from that

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Showing my ignorance here, does no one use Elastic Stack or does that not have specific enough tools for what InfoSec folks need?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just don't use ArcSight, I have PTSD from that

Before I came into this company, they had bought an ArcSight licence at a six-figure value and it went nowhere. I know people who sell it and hate it.

Internet Explorer posted:

Showing my ignorance here, does no one use Elastic Stack or does that not have specific enough tools for what InfoSec folks need?

It comes down to support. If I pay Splunk for their software, I can get support. If I pay someone for Elastic Stack, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get the same level of support due to the way it is developed. I may in fact consider it in the future anyway but there is a risk that comes with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

It comes down to support. If I pay Splunk for their software, I can get support. If I pay someone for Elastic Stack, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get the same level of support due to the way it is developed. I may in fact consider it in the future anyway but there is a risk that comes with it.

For sure. I know that if I have something in production I want to have support for it. Was not sure how strict that rule was for InfoSec folks as it seems a little more flexible for the DevOps folks. We had Splunk at my last place, but was very small, only doing 5 GB/day and even that was really expensive for what it got us.

There definitely seems to be room in this space for tools that aren't $TEXAS.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Lain Iwakura posted:

Word of advice: figure out how to not have multi-line items in any log collection you do. Event logs are by far the worst for this.

What types of logs have this issue? Java logs are the only ones we've really had issues with.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lucid Nonsense posted:

What types of logs have this issue? Java logs are the only ones we've really had issues with.

Windows Event Logs

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Google recalls Titan Security Keys because Bluetooth is insecure as poo poo.

Just lol if you use literally anything other than a Yubikey, and gently caress Google for allowing a Chinese manufacturer to add further FUD to the public consciousness regarding 2FA.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

The Fool posted:

Windows Event Logs

Really? I haven't seen that issue unless the forwarding agent isn't rfc5424 compliant. Snare works fine, but the Datagram syslog agent just truncates the messages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Really? I haven't seen that issue unless the forwarding agent isn't rfc5424 compliant. Snare works fine, but the Datagram syslog agent just truncates the messages.

That is our current issue, Snare is just converting Event Forwarding logs and ruins the formatting.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

That is our current issue, Snare is just converting Event Forwarding logs and ruins the formatting.

Ah, we fix the formatting with a parser rule. I just haven't run into any multi-line issues with it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Are you grabbing them as XML or just using the default WinEventLog Splunk collector?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
The newline issue with Windows Event Logs is a major issue with other log collectors outside of Snare. Snare doesn't have this problem but I sadly cannot use it within our setup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mustache Ride posted:

Are you grabbing them as XML or just using the default WinEventLog Splunk collector?

I'm going to assume the latter. I was not involved in configuring it, and was before my time.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Ok i'm in a little bit of a meltdown (heh) from trying to get my head around all these CPU attacks released yesterday. Can anyone in the know tell me how hosed I am still with MDS Tool showing me this:

I suspect I'm due a ESX patch for microcode but I can't quite tell. I've followed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

The section I've applied is

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 8264 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization" /v MinVmVersionForCpuBasedMitigations /t REG_SZ /d "1.0" /f

And applied this patch manually to be sure

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4499165/windows-8-1-update-kb4499165

But the MDS tool is not exactly friendly

edit:// Yeah I might be in the wrong thread but you guys know your poo poo better when it comes to the attacks themselves

Beccara fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 15, 2019

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Google recalls Titan Security Keys because Bluetooth is insecure as poo poo.

Just lol if you use literally anything other than a Yubikey, and gently caress Google for allowing a Chinese manufacturer to add further FUD to the public consciousness regarding 2FA.

I'm hoping that Safari NFC U2F thing gets onto iOS someday. It'll be nice to use that and ditch that bluetooth key. It's really only there for iOS compatibility.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

crazysim posted:

I'm hoping that Safari NFC U2F thing gets onto iOS someday. It'll be nice to use that and ditch that bluetooth key. It's really only there for iOS compatibility.

Well, and people who can't afford Android phones with NFC built-in.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Proofpoint syslog feeds. But fear not on that one, they now have a JSON feed you can query that consolidate them to make your life less of a living hell.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Proofpoint syslog feeds. But fear not on that one, they now have a JSON feed you can query that consolidate them to make your life less of a living hell.

That seems like a workaround rather than a fix. What's the performance on those queries? Or am I just missing the sarcasm?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lucid Nonsense posted:

That seems like a workaround rather than a fix. What's the performance on those queries? Or am I just missing the sarcasm?

A little bit of sarcasm, but for the most part the json feed is a huge quality of life improvement. If you are ingesting a Proofpoint syslog feed, the strings that hold together all the logs together are the message_session_id (SMTP session) AND the unique_message_session_id (individual messages inside that SMTP session). A single message transaction generates one log line for every combination of module and rule it runs through, and in a typical message transaction will generate a dozen or more syslog lines. Proofpoint both re-uses and omits many fields across these lines, so if you want to look at something like the spam scores from a specific sender IP you have to run a two stage query that collects all the message_session_id or unique_message_session_id values for lines matching your sender IP and then join that to the second query pulling all the spam score values from the other lines matching those id field values you joined. It trashes your search head and sucks. The generally accepted workaround to this problem is to do summary logging where you dump the raw syslog feed in to a staging location, let them collect for a while, then re-parse to consolidate the lines with either a matching unique_message_session_id (messages) or ones with message_session_id and no unique_message_session_id and also parse to determine which rule "one" to handle overwriting/conflicting fields and a bunch of other infuriating horse poo poo. Oh and this will break some number of slow transactions that run on for longer that the amount of time you give them to queue before reparsing but that's just living with Proofpoint.

With the new JSON feed, they do all that on their end and better than you can do it, so you just curl with your API key and the time ranges of the logs you're pulling in and you get a single log line for each SMTP session or message passing in that session and all the fields are normalized and tagged properly and it is worlds better.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Yup PPS syslog is a grade A garbage fire.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

I've been using elastic stack with packetbeat, but yeah I find myself writing a whole bunch of weird rear end yaml. I also don't have like TB of data to sift through, but I can see where maintaining this would get inconvenient. Probably showing the same ignorance here, but all I know is alienvault and some splunk, but gently caress alienvault and I'm too much of a cheapass for splunk.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 16, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
ELK suffers from a more severe version of what splunk struggles with and that is your data has to be formatted reasonably well at ingest and most logging is hot garbage and hard to manipulate into a sane data structure.

the key with all logging projects is to get the basic logging right, first. That means standardised formatting, processes to ensure it's enabled, processes around retention etc. Unless you have ~infinite money~ dumping all your logs into ELK or Splunk won't produce practical results outside of certain circumstances like appliance logging (firewalls, LBs, etc).

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

We are using Elastic Stack, we run completely without support, it's a bit of a pain in the rear end but it does the job and I've learned a ton.

abigserve posted:

ELK suffers from a more severe version of what splunk struggles with and that is your data has to be formatted reasonably well at ingest and most logging is hot garbage and hard to manipulate into a sane data structure.

the key with all logging projects is to get the basic logging right, first. That means standardised formatting, processes to ensure it's enabled, processes around retention etc. Unless you have ~infinite money~ dumping all your logs into ELK or Splunk won't produce practical results outside of certain circumstances like appliance logging (firewalls, LBs, etc).

Yeah having to customize outliers with ruby code with their custom API-calls is something else. As you say its a pain to learn how to do and not to do things, but when its there its great.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Yeah that's what I'm slowly finding out :( ELK is cool if I log stuff from an API that's already sorted out, and honestly it's pretty swanky for $0 (well, $0 plus the machinery). I'm just always chasing what I need to map out for this product it seems.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

How much time would you guys say you spend learning and configuring with ELK?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lucid Nonsense posted:

How much time would you guys say you spend learning and configuring with ELK?

With my SELK setup, which is an IDS/IPS + ELK, it was fairly simple to do. Tested it with a could of my honeypots and got good results.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gonna wear my Security Onion shirt tomorrow and cry about how easy it is vs rolling your own Elastic.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I'd like to dedicate this post to Cisco who's latest IPS GeoDB update zeroed out my list of blocked countries which caused the access control list to freak out and drop all traffic causing a production outage.

Queue the director of IT Ops calling me on my cell and yelling at me directly.

I love this job some days. Just kidding, I can't wait to quit.

From college to burned the gently caress out in three years.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
IT sucks, hell yeah

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Diametunim posted:

I'd like to dedicate this post to Cisco who's latest IPS GeoDB update zeroed out my list of blocked countries which caused the access control list to freak out and drop all traffic causing a production outage.

Queue the director of IT Ops calling me on my cell and yelling at me directly.

I love this job some days. Just kidding, I can't wait to quit.

From college to burned the gently caress out in three years.

I've seen some fun stuff like that. One customer made a config change on an ASA and it started generating over 1k error messages per second for several hours afterward. Just a routine change, not a mistake. Cisco bug.
Another customer changed their logging from udp to tcp, and it killed their wan access. Another Cisco bug.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

IT sucks, hail satan

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So it turns out all of those SQL passwords stored in a Sharepoint? All of those servers have mixed mode authentication on, we can log in with admin rights just by using our credentials. So there’s zero loving point in us having the credentials in the first place.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I've seen some fun stuff like that. One customer made a config change on an ASA and it started generating over 1k error messages per second for several hours afterward. Just a routine change, not a mistake. Cisco bug.
Another customer changed their logging from udp to tcp, and it killed their wan access. Another Cisco bug.

Ask me about the bug where deleting almost any config item on our A10 load balancer would cause the device to panic and reload :v: It was 100% reproducible. One of those real “how the gently caress did this ever get released” bugs cause it wasn’t some edge case, it’s a normal operation you do all the drat time. Computers are the worst.

it got released because A10 is hot garbage

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 17, 2019

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Lucid Nonsense posted:

If you're referring to the thing where the ASA will stop all traffic forwarding if it can't reach a syslog server over TCP, it's not a bug. In fact, that is Cisco Approved Default Behavior. You have to specifically configure the ASA not to become a brick if it can't send syslog data over TCP.

Some colleagues of mine were introduced to this behavior recently, and it may or may not have involved a total failure of all outbound web traffic because of it. Death to the ASA.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In an enterprise context, how risky is it allowing BYOD Android devices to be used for Push/SMS/Voice 2FA and email access? Is BYOD just a joke in the first place and you don't allow it period? But if you do allow it, what is your policy on Android version/security updates?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ranter posted:

In an enterprise context, how risky is it allowing BYOD Android devices to be used for Push/SMS/Voice 2FA and email access?

It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So no concerns if they're running a device that no longer receives security updates?

I'm wondering if we need to get Finance to change our T&E policy to allow for partially or fully paying for new phones every 2 years, since we don't give out company phones and require them to log in.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 17, 2019