Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

It was a PS4 free game of the month. :v:
The characters didn't control well in my opinion, but I always liked Sackboy's look.

There was a major problem with LBP where if you were standing on an object and it moved downward, then your character didn't move downward with it. Instead, they fell slightly delayed to catch up with the object. So basically if you moved at slow motion, the object would go down, then you'd go down to catch up, then the object, then you, back and forth. The result of this was that if you ever needed to jump off something moving down, that the game ate half the inputs since fifty percent of the time you were in the air. Given the quantity of out of control physics objects in the game, it made playing it miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Just throwing this out there... the game voucher promotion sounds good, but it is only for 16.7% the game's full $60 MSRP price, and 9% off if you get a $60 and a $50 game .

There are frequent sales that at least 10% off eShop Gift Cards. Frys had two deals in March where cards were 20% off. You are better off stocking up on cheap eShop cards when they are on sale, and using them to buy anything you want in the eShop. Including the $60 games when they go on sale. After last year's E3, Zelda BOTW was $45, Splatoon 2 as $40. You could have bought them with a 20% off GC for $36 and $32 respectively.

can this stack though? You buy the discounted eshop cards and then use those to buy vouchers?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What were the 20% off deals? I've only ever seen $50 cards for $45.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They would have to go on sale soon too wouldn't they? The promotion only seems to last until the end of July

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Astro7x posted:

Just throwing this out there... the game voucher promotion sounds good, but it is only for 16.7% the game's full $60 MSRP price, and 9% off if you get a $60 and a $50 game .

There are frequent sales that at least 10% off eShop Gift Cards. Frys had two deals in March where cards were 20% off. You are better off stocking up on cheap eShop cards when they are on sale, and using them to buy anything you want in the eShop. Including the $60 games when they go on sale. After last year's E3, Zelda BOTW was $45, Splatoon 2 as $40. You could have bought them with a 20% off GC for $36 and $32 respectively.

Edit: Unless you can buy the game vouchers with discounted eShop GCs. In that case... that might be brutal combination to buy the vouchers with 20% off eShop GCs.

Game vouchers can be purchased with eShop credit.

Buying the vouchers also give you 500 gold coins.

I also live in a state with no eShop tax. It's a super effective combination of savings. I am effectively paying $40 real dollars for Astral chains and $40 for super mario maker 2.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/MrGeop/status/1128851136671342594

My biggest draw to the game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can't believe people are out there that don't want Stephen Fry's soothing voice to compliment them on every thing they do

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Should I use my other voucher on Xenoblade?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone know if it’s possible to do the voucher deal on 2 of the same game and then give one to a friend?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best drat game ever. I can't wait. Gonna log on and bask in the hard work and creativity of other people with considerably more time on their hands.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Some people think the vouchers will work on upcoming games based on....???

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Junkie Disease posted:

The direct says "get one game to play now while you wait for mario maker 2" or whatevs

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Nintendo has a list of 3 upcoming games you can get with them, but the promotion ends on the last day of July so I don't think there'll be many added to it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can't *buy* vouchers after the end of July, but the vouchers themselves are good for a full year after purchase. Plus there's already three unreleased games that are eligible, including Astral Chain which doesn't release until August (?). Would be very surprised if they aren't good for basically any first party game until next year, because they do say the selection will be expanded on the eShop page.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So was there anything in the direct besides Mario Maker? What's this about Vouchers?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So was there anything in the direct besides Mario Maker? What's this about Vouchers?

Nintendo's got this new promotion going on where you spend $100 USD/your region equivalent to get 2 vouchers that you can redeem for a free digital copy of one of the eligible Nintendo games of your choosing. Deal is exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online users and ends by the end of July but the vouchers are valid for a year.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers/

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Astro7x posted:

Edit: Unless you can buy the game vouchers with discounted eShop GCs. In that case... that might be brutal combination to buy the vouchers with 20% off eShop GCs.

I knew I was getting Mario Maker digital so weeks ago I got 2 50s for $45 each, and those eshop funds had no issues being redeemed for the vouchers, so I basically spent $90 to get 2 $60 games, which for me is a great deal.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Did they say anything about a Limited edition MM2?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you preorder in Japan/EU you get a special stylus.

Also, just imagine Mario Maker but with 3x as much stuff and 40 million people making levels instead of 2 million like on WiiU. It's going to be wild.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
edit: nvm... just lovely game design

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 16, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so i spent 15 minutes making an ultimate music playlist in Smash... and I can't listen to it during gameplay??

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There's plenty of time to decide if I want a voucher. I already have all the first party games I want to pay full price for. If the new FE is the sort of game I want then maybe I'll bite. Gotta see what else goes on the list.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone know if it’s possible to do the voucher deal on 2 of the same game and then give one to a friend?

You can't gift games or the vouchers to other people, so no. Your best bet for getting a game for a friend is still just buying them an eShop card

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah the vouchers seem neat but I'm not rushing out to pick 2 Nintendo games up right now. Probably will grab some once we have a release date for Animal Crossing though, assuming they'll work on future first party games too

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Y'all are gonna feel awfully silly when the secret Mario Maker style turns out to be Yoshi's Island.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i don't really keep up with the Fire Emblem community or whatever, do people think the new game looks good?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i don't really keep up with the Fire Emblem community or whatever, do people think the new game looks good?

It's really hard to judge at this point, they're only just releasing gameplay details now. It's got some cool time-management military training simulator stuff going on which I'm very interested in.

But anyone saying it's going to be terrible or amazing from what we've got so far is very premature in my opinion.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

hmm okay. I really liked Awakening and kind of liked Fates and I think I played Sacred Stones ages ago, so I'm far from an expert.

I'm definitely curious but I guess it couldn't hurt to wait for reviews.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but there's just not a whole lot of info out yet.

Although continue to stay away from the "fire emblem community" lol, it gets very negative.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly we just don't know enough yet to make any sort of definitive calls about 3 Houses.

The in game cutscenes they've shown off so far are somehow worse than the ones in Awakening and Fates which is :psyduck:.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu just had an article on Three Houses that people have been translating and it sounds pretty interesting.

Anecdotally I have a ton of friends who are also FE fanatics and they're starting to trend upwards on it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Calling it now, the extra game style is Mario Kart.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Found Wild Guns Reloaded used at the EB in my hometown so I finally got around to snatching that up. We played the poo poo out of the original as kids, and while I picked up the remake on PC, the gameplay is perfectly suited to the Switch.

Game's still so drat good, and it's scratching that score attack itch I haven't felt since maybe Starfox 64.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Found Wild Guns Reloaded used at the EB in my hometown so I finally got around to snatching that up. We played the poo poo out of the original as kids, and while I picked up the remake on PC, the gameplay is perfectly suited to the Switch.

Game's still so drat good, and it's scratching that score attack itch I haven't felt since maybe Starfox 64.

I just started playing this game for the first time and it’s fun as hell. There’s a ton of replay value if score attack is your thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Depends on whether they include a face touching mini-game or not.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone got Shakedown Hawaii? how is it?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just started playing this game for the first time and it’s fun as hell. There’s a ton of replay value if score attack is your thing.

Until yesterday I had no idea that shooting enemy bullets was a viable tactic, nor that it charged the meter for the Vulcan Cannon. 25 years on and I'm still figuring stuff out and getting better.

A friend of mine got it when a tenant was kicked out and he left a bunch of SNES games behind. That one was favorite because a) coop and b) space cowboys. We flipped our poo poo the first time we saw the first level final boss, and to this day I still get pumped the gently caress up when I hear the boss theme and that mech roaring up.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Blast of Confetti posted:

anyone got Shakedown Hawaii? how is it?

I've been playing it and I'm not sure how I feel about it. May seem weird for the type of game it is, but I'd suggest it if you like idle/clicker games. It didn't meet my expectations but I don't regret the purchase and it's been enjoyable enough to mindlessly play.

Here are notes:

- The world is pretty big and afaik you can interact with and destroy everything.

- The progression system of the game involves gradually taking over an island by shaking down businesses, buying them, destroying them to build your own, etc. Shaking down a business can involve terrorizing shoppers, destroying goods in the shop, or passing out flyers shaming the company. You can also destroy competing delivery trucks or do any number of minigame-y things to increase your daily income. This seemed like it could be fun at first but it isn't actually very dynamic or systems driven so it begins to feel rote and meaningless pretty quickly. More of an enormous checklist of things than a legit metagame. My hope was that a rival corporation would begin competing for bits of the island, but nah, you'll inevitably take over everything eventually.

- Story missions are short and happen at a very fast clip. Lots of cutscenes, though they can be sped up if you don't wanna sit through them. Some of these happen remotely in a jungle or mine. The remote missions were the best ones imo.

- Combat is decent but could use more variety or interesting enemies.

- Vehicles and boats feel nice to control, but when you hit the brakes it makes an incredibly loud and grating tire screech sound, so I play with the SFX wayyy down.

- The humor is less grating than the referential nerd culture stuff of the last game but it isn't landing for me. Lots of snark re: modern business models like streaming, amazon & online retail, loot boxes, etc. One of the 3 characters you play is named DJ Jockitch and there are lots of "kids these days" jokes that go along with him. None of it feels particularly clever. It also feels a bit mean as like 90% of what you do involves terrorizing or killing innocent people - this could just be a hangup I have though.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 16, 2019

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I’m kind of hoping against hope that the game vouchers might end up being redeemable at the Nintendo webstore so I can get physical games, I have a 400 GB SD card and find the idea of messing around keeping track of what’s on which card unappealing.

Mario Maker is much more appealing looking than I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It’s exclusively for online users so it would make no sense to offer it on physical product. However, Nintendo online