Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

feedmyleg posted:

This'll probably be an easy one, but I'm trying to remember a movie I saw in a film class: French(?), 1960s or early 70s, about an elderly white woman and a young black immigrant man (who may have been her caregiver at one point?) living together then falling in love and I think getting married.

Pretty sure this is Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome, that's definitely it! Makes sense why I couldn't find it searching for a French film. Thanks!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The relationship between the star and the director was a good read.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

:stare: well that was unexpected.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Well they sound like a pair made for eachother.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A request from a friend, it's supposedly animated but I've zero clue. Anyone know the mystery animation??

quote:

I'm going mad. 

There is a film, little side story in a scene where there is a team of raccoons that do dinner service, as the scene progresses they tidy up, and a pair of raccoons get together over leftovers and run away and get married. 

What's the film?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A request from a friend, it's supposedly animated but I've zero clue. Anyone know the mystery animation??

quote:

I'm going mad. 

There is a film, little side story in a scene where there is a team of raccoons that do dinner service, as the scene progresses they tidy up, and a pair of raccoons get together over leftovers and run away and get married. 

What's the film?

I'm probably wrong, but it's not from the 80s/90s kids cartoon The Raccoons by any chance is it? I'm fuzzy on the details, but the main characters were all raccoons, two were married, and one character owned a restaurant/cafe. It started with a few specials, and then was a series.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This is probably an easy one, but I've got this exchange stuck in my head, and I cannot remember what it is from. I don't remember much of it, really, but I know a kid approaches a guy, asks him a question (something like why isn't something working), and the guy responds, "Because I don't like you." Kid cries, runs off, and now I'm going mad since I can't remember where the hell that's from.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leavemywife posted:

This is probably an easy one, but I've got this exchange stuck in my head, and I cannot remember what it is from. I don't remember much of it, really, but I know a kid approaches a guy, asks him a question (something like why isn't something working), and the guy responds, "Because I don't like you." Kid cries, runs off, and now I'm going mad since I can't remember where the hell that's from.

It's not Iron Man 3, is it?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Olympic Mathlete posted:

quote:

I'm going mad. 

What's the film?

This is definitely from the Valentine's Day special of the animated series Big Mouth, on Netflix.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

Mostly the chance to say that someone has testicles on their chin. Yes, puerile, as you point out.

On which note: what is the movie that features the Ballchinians?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Men in Black?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jedit posted:

Men in Black 2.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I was close. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timby posted:

Men in Black 2.

Thank you very much.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's not Iron Man 3, is it?

No, it's not, and I just remembered where it is from. It's from an episode of MST3K, and the two talking are Observer and one of those omnipotent children.

"Uncle Brainguy, why do you carry around that wrinkled ball?"

"Because I don't like you."

Child cries, laughs are had. I'm pretty sure it's from the Parts: The Clonus Horror episode.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

This is definitely from the Valentine's Day special of the animated series Big Mouth, on Netflix.

You were 100% spot on, my friend says thank you!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So this was a direct-to-video Z-grade horror movie I saw on late night cable once about ten years ago, and it just popped into my head for some reason right now.

A group of high school students have to spend detention together in a school that becomes deathly supernatural and haunted after hours. I don't remember much about it other than some black mist or shadow monster appearing near the end that causes all the students to run out into the halls except for one, which the mist/shadow monster either abruptly kills or possesses to kill the other students. When no one wants to go back to detention, they somehow make it to the basement to try and escape, where more bad poo poo happens. The basement was full of large pipes and conduit, but they could have been trying to escape through sewage or communications tunnels connected to the basement.

Also, I remember this was one of those movies where it misleadingly states "STARRING THIS FAMOUS ACTOR FOR THE ENTIRE MOVIE!" where the famous actor is someone on the downslope of their career in a 15 second cameo. In this case, the famous actor (I can't remember who it was) played the principal who locked them all in detention at the beginning of the movie. I think he may have come back to unlock detention at the end of the movie, and was abruptly killed by the monster before the credits rolled.

It's not Detention from 2011 from my research.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Maybe go one year earlier with Detention (2010)? David Carradine is the principal so that might be the one

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Maybe go one year earlier with Detention (2010)? David Carradine is the principal so that might be the one

That is EXACTLY IT. I tried Googling "Detention movie," but it kept coming up with the 2011 movie. Thanks, friend :mrgw:

Just lol at the $190 box office take.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I've just remembered one scene from some movie. Someone goes to meet their friend(?) who is teaching a class. They stand in the doorway and watch as the girl is teaching. She is blonde and writing on a chalkboard about Marxism(?) There is a testy exchange between her and a male student. This is a color film from the 60s or 70s...

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bandiet posted:

I've just remembered one scene from some movie. Someone goes to meet their friend(?) who is teaching a class. They stand in the doorway and watch as the girl is teaching. She is blonde and writing on a chalkboard about Marxism(?) There is a testy exchange between her and a male student. This is a color film from the 60s or 70s...

Anything else? This is familiar.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

Bandiet posted:

Dazed and Confused has a scene like that at the beginning

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

It might not have been in English.. I'm almost sure it wasn't American.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So it was an old reel-to-reel movie about the environmentally destructive influences inherent to late modern capitalism, watched in in Econ class, senior year of high school (1998/9 but it was very clearly much older). It’s like primitive animation, the consumers keep saying “MORE” and the world ends up being destroyed.

I’ve tried to :google: but “MORE” isn’t an especially helpful search term?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 8, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

So it was an old reel-to-reel movie about the environmentally destructive influences inherent to late modern capitalism, watched in in Econ class, senior year of high school (1998/9 but it was very clearly much older). It’s like primitive animation, the consumers keep saying “MORE” and the world ends up being destroyed.

I’ve tried to :google: but “MORE” isn’t an especially helpful search term?

I'd search on archive.org and filter videos by year with some key search terms like "environment" and "economy". I did a quick search but nothing obvious popped up for me, but you'd be able to filter them more easily.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Archive.org is a good idea.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I saw this movie on TV years and years ago and I don't even recall it being good or bad, I just wish I knew the name.

Some people are on a ship and they are being killed by what they think are separate monsters but, IIRC, it turns out they are all tentacles belonging to one big monsters. And in the ending I think they are on an island which is also apparently infested with monsters because you hear a tree being knocked down and a monster roar or something.

Sorry it's been a long time and I only just saw it the one time while flipping channels.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

NikkolasKing posted:

And in the ending I think they are on an island which is also apparently infested with monsters because you hear a tree being knocked down and a monster roar or something.

This sounds like the pilot episode of Lost.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I saw this movie on TV years and years ago and I don't even recall it being good or bad, I just wish I knew the name.

Some people are on a ship and they are being killed by what they think are separate monsters but, IIRC, it turns out they are all tentacles belonging to one big monsters. And in the ending I think they are on an island which is also apparently infested with monsters because you hear a tree being knocked down and a monster roar or something.

Sorry it's been a long time and I only just saw it the one time while flipping channels.

I never saw it, but the ship stuff sounds like what I've heard about Deep Rising.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Definitely Deep Rising

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sir Nose posted:

I never saw it, but the ship stuff sounds like what I've heard about Deep Rising.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Definitely Deep Rising

Sweet, thank you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Deep Rising is a good-rear end film

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Looking for an animated movie that I believe came out in the 2000s. The aesthetic was 1990s anime but it was made by a white American dude. I remember the creator was an object of ridicule and his persona was an over-the-top Gothy dude. I'm pretty sure this movie is notoriously bad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arturo Ui posted:

Looking for an animated movie that I believe came out in the 2000s. The aesthetic was 1990s anime but it was made by a white American dude. I remember the creator was an object of ridicule and his persona was an over-the-top Gothy dude. I'm pretty sure this movie is notoriously bad.

Cool World?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

No it was much less well known than Cool World and didn't mix live action and animation. I remember there being a forums thread about this movie so it was likely released in the mid-late 2000s.

It is also possible that this might have been just a trailer and the whole movie never actually came out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Food fight?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Titan AE?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
No, again think dark 80s-90s anime aesthetic (Akira, Ghost in the Shell etc.) and I believe the writer/director was a self-important 'auteur' who had a teen-goth-who-never-grew-up vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If a terrible American anime goth auteur exists, I can't believe I don't know about it.