Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Corkus is clearly Magnifico wth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah Roderick is the new Judeau.

Edit: Judeau. :(

Also: If you could save a third person from the Eclipse, who would it have been? And if you could have sent someone to tag along and get chomped?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 8, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
1. Pippin

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pippin, probably. Judeau actually gets a "clean" death, even though his efforts don't succeed.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Gimme your hottest takes - do y'all think Griffith and Femto are the same, different, or aspects of the same being? I guess we haven't seen any of the godhand since the world merger, but this is something that's got me wondering stuff. Like can human Griffith just pop over into Femto form or what?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

lezard_valeth posted:

Pretty much on spot. You forgot Isma but I think everyone should forget Isma. I really hope she doesn't join them on the boat trip back

They are definitely gonna teleport back via the World Tree

Lookin' very possible that it's gonna be via Sonia

Sonia being neglected by Griffith is a pretty strong tell of some poo poo ahead I think. Someone mentioned hubris being his downfall and I suspect it's not going to be some unseen weakness or something but instead just the same thing that burned him before: not taking care of the people who adore him and pushing them to the point that they walk. He's been bit by this before.

Sonia can't fight him and is obviously a character that is being prevented from developing as a person (not as a character) because of her attachment to Griffith, and now that she's spent like the last 10 years / 3 chapters being burned by him I think she's gonna end up being a major part of his downfall

Her teleporting the crew back via World Tree at just the worst time or teleporting the crew away before Griffith can achieve a final victory would both be legit reads on her poo poo right now I think

tl;dr on Sonia is I think she's either gonna get a horrible, Band of the Hawk tier death, or she's gonna get Rickert Invulnerability.

Mule is hosed tho.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pyrus Malus posted:

Gimme your hottest takes - do y'all think Griffith and Femto are the same, different, or aspects of the same being? I guess we haven't seen any of the godhand since the world merger, but this is something that's got me wondering stuff. Like can human Griffith just pop over into Femto form or what?

I thought Femto just gave himself a physical manifestation, like in the Vedas where a god takes a physical body and acts like an idiot and doesn't really remember it until later. And his physical body seems to poof out when he becomes the moonlight child, so that might indicate the same concept.

But yeah it's not an unreasonable take that the current Griffith-body is a projection or emanation into the world and like Femto Actual is chillin' with Void drinkin' coffee in Reality is a possibility

I think taking with the Kantian things, Griffith is Phenomenal World Femto, and Femto is the Noumenal Real Form, outside the world of phenomena. So when he is fuckin' up Ganeshka and reveals himself as Femto, that is like some bigtime stunting because he's piercing Ganeshka's phenomenal veil, which is basically how enlightened beings might style on someone

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rody One Half posted:

New Corkus is clearly Magnifico wth

Yeah I meant to say Magnifico, not Roderick. I am a terrible Berserk fan. :cripes:

Honestly though, a lot of the post-Vritannis crew kinda blurs together in my mind. We had all of Conviction and most of Millennium Falcon to get to know Farnese, Serpico, Isidro and Schierke but I feel like most of the new guys haven't really had a chance to shine yet by comparison.

Edit:

Pyrus Malus posted:

Didn't we see him do just that when he trolls Skull Knight hard enough to break down the very fabric of reality murks Ganishka?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 9, 2019

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't we see him do just that when he trolls Skull Knight hard enough to break down the very fabric of reality murks Ganishka?

Ganishka was in a weird place at the time and it's entirely possible that was Griffith passing from the phenomenal world where he's Griffith and into the Ethereal/Astral/Noumenal world where he's Femto as Ganishka himself is moving between the realm of Ideals and Forms.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

We had all of Conviction and most of Millennium Falcon to get to know Farnese, Serpico, Isidro and Schierke but I feel like most of the new guys haven't really had a chance to shine yet by comparison.
(Reads three times...) :staredog: Someone just said they weren't on the boat long enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

(Reads three times...) :staredog: Someone just said they weren't on the boat long enough.

On rereading the boat goes by super fast. Most of the time after departure is spent watching Ganishka get setup, Skull Knight get trolled and Griffith get bitchslapped. Isma's introduction gets broken up by 300 pages of Guts flipping out on some tentacle monsters, which ends up being drat near all the group does for the whole arc. It just felt long with Miura taking a year off to indulge his loli piss fetish while reacting to Shingeki no Kyojin and other hiatuses.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 9, 2019

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'd rescue Gaston from the Eclipse because in Falconia his dress shop's boomed into a massively successful franchise.

Pyrus Malus posted:

They're the same dude. Femto's debut was Griffith acting on the frustrations that he was framed very clearly as wallowing in as he watched Guts and Casca interact after his rescue, in a manner that was petty, vindictive, and at the time seemingly consequence-free.

New-Griffith, who is also Femto, is still Griffith, but having taken the time to refine his god complex. He goes about business the same way he originally led the Hawks, just on a bigger scale, and is playing out his high-minded socio-political-existential ideals from before, not because he's feeling benevolent, but because he can.

I predict he continues to only put the Femto on when it's personal, as he has when lording over Guts and Ganishka. It's a baring of soul in the form of a grotesquely intimate power move.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 9, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

It just felt long with Miura taking a year off to indulge his loli piss fetish while reacting to Shingeki no Kyojin and other hiatuses.

You know, I was doing a really good job of forgetting about that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that my main problem with Isma is that she doesn't bring anything new to the group.

She is part Isidro's comic relief with part Schierke's "oh wow outside world", and both of the originals are better at their part than Isma. Isidro's comic relief is generally tied to him trying to contribute and be helpful to the group, whereas Schierke's "Oh wow outside world" is more of the scholar type and less of the "oooooh shiny button!!!!" type.

Her origin story is also very "ugly duckling/fish out of water" cliche, which is not to say that Miura hasn't used cliches before in the story but generally he gives them a twist (a hosed up twist like in Serpico's "siblings separated at birth" case).

She did work for that segment of the story and heck her own plot even got a resolution, but now that it seems like she is gonna tag along I cannot help but think "ugh, more comic relief? but why? :raise: Just throw her back in the water already before she goes bad!!!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love Isma, Magnifico, the Elves, and Ishidro. Always be bringing more clowns for the Struggler's Traveling Circus imo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Without them we'd still be Lost Children arc 1 page of plot 200 pages of gorn.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Isidro getting mad at his fire dagger which in turns burns him is top notch comedy

Isma being drunk and her underwear coming off when she turns into a whatever is not

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My favorite character (not counting Guts) is definitely Farnese mostly because when I started reading the manga, on the same page I was commenting on this thread I couldn't help but notice some comments talking about Farnese in a positive way, so I thought "Ok, she is probably gonna do a heel turn and redeem herself".

However, as I was reading through the Conviction arc and Farnese kept turning more and more into a fanatic I said "What the hell there is no way she can become likable now. The goons are idiots! :argh:"

But then she joins Guts' team and bonds and cares for Casca, she tries her best to be useful and Guts compliments her on that telling her that she has the most important job of the group and she finds self value on herself through that. She grows from the scared spoiled girl at a pace that felt very organic, not recklessly charging into danger like Isidro does, but through finding the strength to protect someone who is weaker than herself.

Then when she meets Schierke she finally detaches completely from her old self by accepting and embracing that which she once ignored and shunned.

And all this culminates with her sacrifice: giving away the freedom that she's been able to experience for the first time in her life for the sake of helping her friends. And it's upon returning to this past life that it becomes apparent to everyone, including herself, how far she's come, not giving in to panic and calmly assesing the situation when the Tiger attacks the palace, realising what's going on and coming up with a plan to fight back.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 10, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

verbal enema posted:

Isidro getting mad at his fire dagger which in turns burns him is top notch comedy

Isma being drunk and her underwear coming off when she turns into a whatever is not

:agreed:

I really like Isidro's, Puck's and now Magnifico's comedy. Specially Puck, which surprised me that so many people in other media actually seem to not like him

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Puck does spend like 99% of his time in chibi mode but that's what makes him so goddamned good

Pirate Puck, Accountant Puck, King Puck, Ninja Puck, Samurai Puck, YODA PUCK i mean come on

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Isidro as the idiot kid sidekick is amazing, and he and Puck are a killer combo of amazing comic relief

Magnifico is hilarious and I love how far he's fallen from his dignified introduction, give me more idiot capitalist adventures

Isma fuckin sucks because the story really did not need an underage fanservice character, and with her personal plot essentially resolved that's pretty much all that remains

I'll marginally respect her inclusion a bit if she tries to drown Isidro at one point

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
She's a mole for Griffith.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Puck does spend like 99% of his time in chibi mode but that's what makes him so goddamned good

Pirate Puck, Accountant Puck, King Puck, Ninja Puck, Samurai Puck, YODA PUCK i mean come on

the world guide book has a couple of pages with all the different versions that super good boy has been

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Fish person pseudo love interest for the annoying kid sidekick? I think I know where this is heading.

TIME SKIP COMING YALL!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Isidro as the idiot kid sidekick is amazing, and he and Puck are a killer combo of amazing comic relief

Magnifico is hilarious and I love how far he's fallen from his dignified introduction, give me more idiot capitalist adventures

Isma fuckin sucks because the story really did not need an underage fanservice character, and with her personal plot essentially resolved that's pretty much all that remains

I'll marginally respect her inclusion a bit if she tries to drown Isidro at one point

If they put magic back into the box then Isma is more real than Puck as a downside. No idea if they are going that way.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

These pages were amazing because there is no way Miura didn't know about all the "Puck is the King of Elves"· theories and this was him lampshading those.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Puck is the greatest.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Yeah Roderick is the new Judeau.

Edit: Judeau. :(

Also: If you could save a third person from the Eclipse, who would it have been? And if you could have sent someone to tag along and get chomped?

Gaston.

His clothing shop. :smith:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I've always wondering if Griffith could summon the spirits of the chain back to the world, especially now with the conjoining. Just as one kind of Faustian deal for Guts and Casca, have all of the sacraficed band of the hawk walking around Falconia like the Eclipse never happened, unaware of what's transpired and desperately trying to get the two to say yes and join Griffith's cause again. And when Guts or Casca refuses, some of them attack while the rest wither and die again.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd save Griffith from the Eclipse, because then that saves everyone else.

Edit: I just realized this doesn't work with how the question was worded. I THOUGHT I WAS SO CLEVER.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Considering how crucial the creation of femto was, the godhand probably would have given Griffith a mulligan on the Eclipse if Guts actually succeeded in taking him out of there.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

People are conditioned to find annoying mascot characters annoying.

While this is understandable, to refuse to let go one's prejudices and never bask in the radiance of Puck is it's own punishment.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
While I'm fairly confident that the whole of the main group is going to come out of the other side of all of this alive, the only one I am absolutely certain Miura will never kill is Puck.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Puck is legitimately a more important character than serpico.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

Puck is legitimately a more important character than serpico.

Every time someone doubts Puck I force them to re-read the part directly after Lost Children, because it's literally the second-most important decision Guts makes in the entire story so far (the first being, of course, leaving the Hawks), and it's all thanks to Puck

Buuuuut I also really like Serpico, he rules, and I love how he and Guts are both two entirely different flavours of how to be extremely deadly with a sword, and Guts is just secretly SO GIDDY at having a hyper-competent sword-fightin' buddy again

Seriously, just check out how Guts reacts to their team-up attack against the water snake, I fuckin love it and I want more fights for him

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh I love serpico, please do not misunderstand, I stan the entire party and I want everyone to get through this thing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Every time someone doubts Puck I force them to re-read the part directly after Lost Children, because it's literally the second-most important decision Guts makes in the entire story so far (the first being, of course, leaving the Hawks), and it's all thanks to Puck

I just had to go back and do this.

It's so incredibly easy to not notice that this is an utterly deadly-serious decisive battle, on par with any showdown Guts has, hiding beneath a veneer of cartoon chestnut.

e.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 14, 2019

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So, I just got this beauty today (DVD for scale)

and the art is absolutely gorgeous,

but I had to laugh when I saw what the last page is, and what it means the next collection will open on...

maybe going one more or fewer chapter would have been a good idea here guys.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Just imagine finding Volume 2 on the shelves in a bookstore and picking it up without knowing anything about the series. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
"Hey what's this leather book about -- Berserk?" *Opens the cover and FORCES starts playing*