Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

i kinda wish the bards could actually play the lute in combat but maybe that's too RPG for this game

Barbarians get drummers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Not sure if it's been said but the Lone Knight start gets the noble house war music. Im trying to buy perks and its like distractingly good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fun story, i'd avoided hexen because they sounded like unfun bullshit. I actually decided to fight one tonight and remembered the advice of "just unequip your weapons, then your men won't kill eachother".

They brought along a loving unhold.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dylguy90 posted:

Not sure if it's been said but the Lone Knight start gets the noble house war music. Im trying to buy perks and its like distractingly good.

The combat music in this game is just right. It's strong enough to work but slow paced enough to fit a strategy game.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

just picked up this game, had a first tense fight against a bandit leader and got through with one (bullshit, a marksman turned into a complete loving ninja and killed a full-health bastard with like 40 melee defence and a big honking shield with his hatchet) casualty

then i forgot to actually grab the loot

i'm contemplating loading from the autosave but god drat it i was so pleased with how that battle went

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

V. Illych L. posted:

just picked up this game, had a first tense fight against a bandit leader and got through with one (bullshit, a marksman turned into a complete loving ninja and killed a full-health bastard with like 40 melee defence and a big honking shield with his hatchet) casualty

then i forgot to actually grab the loot

i'm contemplating loading from the autosave but god drat it i was so pleased with how that battle went

You want to turn on the always take the loot button and never turn it off

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They might lack for AoEs, but drat are two-handed maces satisfying when they just send someone to the mat.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

RabidWeasel posted:

You want to turn on the always take the loot button and never turn it off

yes, i do

where is this button

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

V. Illych L. posted:

yes, i do

where is this button

Buried in the Gameplay tab of the options menu somewhere, IIRC

Somebody discourage me from trying to make a Nimble sword Duelist. I've looked at all the numbers, it's guaranteed to be a lovely build that wastes a bro who could have done something actually good, but every time I see a high HP/Initiative/Defense guy part of me goes drat he would be a cool as hell swordguy

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Your username is literally "en garde motherfuckers"

Why would you not make a duellist?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Buried in the Gameplay tab of the options menu somewhere, IIRC

Somebody discourage me from trying to make a Nimble sword Duelist. I've looked at all the numbers, it's guaranteed to be a lovely build that wastes a bro who could have done something actually good, but every time I see a high HP/Initiative/Defense guy part of me goes drat he would be a cool as hell swordguy

it can do respectable damage and you can leap frog off enemies to hit squishier ones in the back.

the new dlc also added a perk that makes your initiative lower slower.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lone wolf is basically Sandor Clegane mode. It's pretty awesome I've decided

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dogstile posted:

Fun story, i'd avoided hexen because they sounded like unfun bullshit. I actually decided to fight one tonight and remembered the advice of "just unequip your weapons, then your men won't kill eachother".

:lol: had that happen yesterday

also veteran has gotten a lot better, just had to get over that early game hump. Started picking up mail piece by piece and it snowballed okay. I'm probably speaking too soon but I'm definitely in a lot better shape than a couple hours ago.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kidkissinger posted:

i kinda wish the bards could actually play the lute in combat but maybe that's too RPG for this game

Besides the barbarians in the game gaining fatigue and morale from their drummers, historical armies have always had musicians, both for morale and for relaying orders, so there's definitely precedent for the lute to give boosts.

One of my favorite bros in this game is a Minstrel that got to 11 with melee in the 80's. Pretty great for a non-combatant background, in my opinion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trying out Raiders origin, I gave the Monk a staff sling and he proceeded to kill 4 men in his first battle. :staredog:

Welcome to the team, Oswald the Calm.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish you could buy holy water as it makes Gheists complete chumps.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dogstile posted:

Whips are your friend, especially if you have a dude with Cleaver Mastery. One of your dudes gets turned, just yoink their weapon away. If the whip dude gets turned, no biggie, he won't do poo poo to his armored buddies. Also unholds have no armor so you can stack some ludicrous amounts of bleed damage on them with a couple whippers.

Night10194 posted:

The combat music in this game is just right. It's strong enough to work but slow paced enough to fit a strategy game.

I love that one of the bandit battle tracks is actually called Thug Life.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Expansion is amazing so far. Barbarians fill the threat gap I thought this game sorely needed - something to break the day 25-60ish monotony when you're probably overqualified for raiders but not ready for schrats, unholds and big orc/goblin groups. The new origins are amazing too, I've had a lot of luck with the beast slayer start - even though I'm probably mitigating the downside (less gold) by playing on a seed where I know where the golden goose is and getting it ASAP. By day 30 I'm rocking a company of beast slayers, barbarians and wildmen mostly and the difference between these guys and the mishmash of thieves, brawlers, farmers and fishers I usually have is becoming quite stark. New music rocks too!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Wow necrosavants are some real assholes

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mazz posted:

Welcome to the fold, brother

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nothing feels better then watching an Orc Warlord fail his morale checks so badly that he breaks before even reaching the front line.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lone wolf is basically Sandor Clegane mode. It's pretty awesome I've decided

Hear hear. Bet no one can guess what I named my bro :q:

Nordick posted:

Whips are your friend, especially if you have a dude with Cleaver Mastery. One of your dudes gets turned, just yoink their weapon away. If the whip dude gets turned, no biggie, he won't do poo poo to his armored buddies. Also unholds have no armor so you can stack some ludicrous amounts of bleed damage on them with a couple whippers.

Oh yes. Still haven't tried out the whip proper as I'm focusing on Lone wolf, but it does sound abusively awesome. My Militia run shall definitely have a good bunch of flagellants with whips :whip:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nordick posted:

Yeah, I kept my archers (both of them) and one guy with a whip who has the mastery, but its not enough to take down an unhold unless they hit every shot.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Picked up the expansion, having a decent (if struggly) start to my merchant game. Lucked out with a spawn that plopped me just north of a huge seaside city that was being raided by bandits, with a wine and dye producing large city less than 10 minutes up the road. Dumped all my starting gold on dyes, went back and sold themfor a nice start with fat stacks of cash.

Also spotted a trait I've never seen before, Weasel. Gave the dude a big, big bonus to melee defense, but only when retreating.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Can recommend hovering over the morale symbol for new recruits, especially ones you get from events, as you can find some funny or character building stuff.

Edit: Event or starting characters also usually have unique backstories related to how they joined the company.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 16, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What was the goonsensus on Nimble again? I'm starting a new campaign after a while and besides "they changed it a couple of times" I'm not sure whether it's good or not. Good for bros in the second line, but front liners still go heavy tank?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

rideANDxORdie posted:

Expansion is amazing so far. Barbarians fill the threat gap I thought this game sorely needed - something to break the day 25-60ish monotony when you're probably overqualified for raiders but not ready for schrats, unholds and big orc/goblin groups. The new origins are amazing too, I've had a lot of luck with the beast slayer start - even though I'm probably mitigating the downside (less gold) by playing on a seed where I know where the golden goose is and getting it ASAP. By day 30 I'm rocking a company of beast slayers, barbarians and wildmen mostly and the difference between these guys and the mishmash of thieves, brawlers, farmers and fishers I usually have is becoming quite stark. New music rocks too!

Where are barbarians available to recruit? Is it only by some sort of unique event?

Mazz posted:

There's a location in my current game which holds 9 Necrosavants. No other enemies, just those 9. It's appalling. I savescum and I tried several times to do it for fun, but they are just so savage. Even against the quality melee bros their bleed damage is so drat high.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Necrosavants are gearchecks. They can't bleed you if they can't get through your armor.

Bringing nets can also help a lot in letting your bros get a hit in on them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd use nets a lot more if I didn't have to go buy them again after. I'm very lazy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
They're very worth it for certain elusive enemies that you need to burn down fast, like necrosavants. For 90% of fights you can just keep them in storage.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I had a battle vs 3 and like 25 skeletons, I didn’t know they just pop up and murder your back line till after they did it. I got out of there with my better 6 guys alive but it was late last night so I’ll try that again later today.

are you ever allowed more than 12 guys in combat in a natural start? I feel like that would be a cool late game unlock thing, like a noble commission or something. I know the militia get 16.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 16, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Unholds, shreks and necros deserve nets. Sometimes brigand leaders or knights and poo poo too.

About 16 bros. Wish the commander got a skill tree too where he could buy perks that affect the entire band. Like pick between pathfinder or +2 bros.

Affi fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 16, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

They're very worth it for certain elusive enemies that you need to burn down fast, like necrosavants. For 90% of fights you can just keep them in storage.

Oh sure, but its mostly a case of they'll hold on to it for so long i'll literally forget that the guy has a net in a fight where I would want to use a net. If I had my way i'd just make nets require ammo but require like 10 per throw so you don't lob them literally every fight, but you can still use them without all the annoying micro.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
What's the recommended armour levels and HP totals for Nimble bros nowadays? I've never actually made one, since the idea of not having your bros decked out in the heaviest possible metal suits is scary to me, fatigue be damned.

Also, does anyone know how the Anniversary achievement (play 365 days on veteran difficulty or higher) works since the game split combat difficulty and economic difficulty? I assume you'd need to play on Veteran/Veteran, but I usually prefer playing on Beginner economy since that lets me buy cool poo poo earlier and more often.

ALSO, another patch hit another hour or so ago:

quote:

Changelog for 1.3.0.15

Changed 'Disarm' skill to cost 5 Action Points, up from 4.
Fixed ambitions sometimes taking longer than intended to register as completed.
Fixed issue with retreat behavior when surrounded.
Fixed characters receiving the 'Split Nose' injury when their nose is missing altogether.
Fixed 'Shieldwall' and 'Spearwall' skills not being usable a second time in the same turn after they get canceled while a character is waiting.
Fixed glitch in AI positioning when protecting other units.
Fixed some other minor issues.

Shame about the disarm nerf :(

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Genghis Cohen posted:

Where are barbarians available to recruit? Is it only by some sort of unique event?

Yes there is an event where a dude refused to kill his brother and is willing to join you. I have had it on at least two occasions - one after clearing a barbarian camp and another while walking around the northern parts (or maybe after a battle, I can't quite remember).

EDIT: I have no idea if you can only get it once in a given map or not.

Jinx fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 16, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Disarm nerf was warranted, it was kinda nuts being able to disarm two people per turn.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quote:

Changed 'Disarm' skill to cost 5 Action Points, up from 4.
SON OF A BITCH

Anyways, even still, whips are great against Necrosavants too, I found. The reach makes it real easy to get in range to smack the assholes when they relocate.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Look at this beautiful monster.....and then I got a super-crappy map and had to re-roll.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:eyepop: Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nordick posted:

:eyepop: Jesus christ.

I don't care how bad the map is, I'd play the poo poo outta that