Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's always someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

He's been making GBS threads up the thread all year. He also "theorized" Grisha and Zeke could be related during season 2 when it wasn't even clear Monkey Trouble was human.

Zeke (although mostly in silhouette) is shown sticking out of the Beast Titan in the at the end of season 2. Still, his "predictions" are definitely too on the nose.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You've got to be an extremely sad person to do that

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Aumanor posted:

Zeke (although mostly in silhouette) is shown sticking out of the Beast Titan in the at the end of season 2. Still, his "predictions" are definitely too on the nose.

He's got blonde hair. I don't see any possible way you could think they're related without extra info. Like, nobody's said they think there's a special significance to Mom Eating Titan right?

I really liked that bit, honestly. Like, you're supposed to just think Eren activated the Coordinate because he was Shonen enough in that moment, but really it was just his tiny puny fist touching her enormous, Royal hand.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Shouldn't the mod put his text in a spoiler tag? The big ol' "THIS USER GOT PROBATED FOR SPOILERS" text is practically screaming that what he wrote is, well, spoilers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kyte posted:

Shouldn't the mod put his text in a spoiler tag? The big ol' "THIS USER GOT PROBATED FOR SPOILERS" text is practically screaming that what he wrote is, well, spoilers.
The poster did that, almost as if they knew they were actual spoilers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

I had a conversation with the goon, so we agreed to drop the whole shebang.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Please help me manga thread, it's only a few more episodes, and it's taking everything in me not to post in the anime thread that this is what they're going to find in the basement. I'm not caught up on the manga all the way, but I have to get this out somewhere: :negative:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I very much appreciate the joke

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My memory might be really foggy here, but where on Earth are they going to end the anime this season? It doesn't seem like we have five episodes worth of material before the timeskip.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At the ocean I assume.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RatHat posted:

At the ocean I assume.
Is it really going to take five whole episodes to get to the ocean though? That's what's kind of throwing me off right now, unless I'm forgetting something big.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Is it really going to take five whole episodes to get to the ocean though? That's what's kind of throwing me off right now, unless I'm forgetting something big.

Its gonna do Grisha's flashback for like 3 episodes

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They've been doing 2 chapters per episode, so if they ended on chapter 90 (the ocean) then that'd leave 1 additional episode unaccounted for.

My guess as well is they're going to take their time with Grisha's backstory.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They'll tee up Grisha's backstory with some juicy nuggets, then go "Hahah, gently caress you, you gotta wait three more years for all the rest of it."

Just looking over the upcoming chapters, chapter 88 seems like it ends with what would be a good closer for the season, and it's about the right amount of content to take us through 5 more episodes.

They can then use the post-credits to tease the timeskip which will come a few episodes into next season.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 29, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Teek posted:

They'll tee up Grisha's backstory with some juicy nuggets, then go "Hahah, gently caress you, you gotta wait three more years for all the rest of it by some other animation studio that isn't us and probably isn't as good."

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

They may also choose to divulge a bit more information during these flashbacks than the manga originally covered, which could add some more time per episode towards the end.

Also i might not have been paying attention while reading, but Bert and Armins conversation about whether they (the paradisians) are devils was interesting. I didn’t realize the discussion of Eldians as devils had been that explicit pre-timeskip.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JahRoo posted:

Also i might not have been paying attention while reading, but Bert and Armins conversation about whether they (the paradisians) are devils was interesting. I didn’t realize the discussion of Eldians as devils had been that explicit pre-timeskip.

Bert had called them spawn of the devil too back when they captured Eren.

RE a different studio continuing the series, I'm not too bummed about it given the quality of the 3rd season so far. Part 1 had some moments where quality noticeably dipped, but Part 2 has had poor overall animation and direction, and is just shy of reaching Season 1 levels of production issues.

Maybe Season 2 just gave me some unrealistic expectations? That's what I had been hoping for moving forward.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

RE a different studio continuing the series, I'm not too bummed about it given the quality of the 3rd season so far. Part 1 had some moments where quality noticeably dipped, but Part 2 has had poor overall animation and direction, and is just shy of reaching Season 1 levels of production issues.

Maybe Season 2 just gave me some unrealistic expectations? That's what I had been hoping for moving forward.

Even in the best possible case, where a good studio gets the 4th season, it will be done by completely different people and most likely would have a different look and feel. We're talking about "a completely different anime" level at this point.

But I don't see it happening, because from a business standpoint it wouldn't make much sense. Not many new people are going to watch AoT and the ones already invested will watch the last season even if it's poorly done. In this case it's prudent to hire someone who will finish the anime ASAP and won't cost much.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I must have lovely eyes or something because not only can I not detect bad fps, but part 2's visuals have seemed extremely good to me.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Yeah, I think Season 3 is the best looking one yet. They really took their time to make this fight look good. Plus there was the Levi fight in part 1. I'll admit that some of the CG titans are a bit distracting, but I do like how they still use traditional animation for close shots, and it vastly improved on Season 2. I still really like the shots of Rod Reiss's titan lifting his melted head and spilling his guts over the wall.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah I honestly have no idea what the comparisons to season 1's quality are about. Even when it doesn't look amazing, it hasn't been anywhere close to how bad the battle of trost was animated in s1.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

What?? Mind pointing out scenes you think are bad because everything looks amazing this season

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's true that Season 2 was the high point at a visual and direction level, but still Season 3 is above the average anime but a good margin. A different studio would put the series below those standards (because if they change it, it will be to pick a cheaper one).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

JahRoo posted:

They may also choose to divulge a bit more information during these flashbacks than the manga originally covered, which could add some more time per episode towards the end.
This. They've been super nice about leaking little bits for the manga readers via the anime in the past. I'm sure they'll do the same here.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
We’ll never see the Cart Titan’s user drawn by the good studio, now. Come on, just give us a Pieck. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

We’ll never see the Cart Titan’s user drawn by the good studio, now. Come on, just give us a Pieck. :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a__4QgP4F-A

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I always believed that they'd have to spend the final episode cold opening the post timeskip and introduce Gabi since otherwise promoting or creating trailers for season 4 would be impossible without stealing the thunder of all the timeskip surprises. If WIT are quitting though then maybe they don't give a gently caress and it's not their problem anymore.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Asuron posted:

What?? Mind pointing out scenes you think are bad because everything looks amazing this season

Off the top of my head, just on visuals from part 2:

- Gave Mikasa back the blade she threw at Berthold as she runs up to him (it's gone again next cut).
- Berthold hooks both wires of his gear to the same building as he's getting ready to launch himself upwards, but next cut he just flies up with the wires to opposite ends of the street.
- Completely botched perspective on the Colossal Titan when it first appears after the nuke.
- Levi has a completely different face in the scene just prior to the first rock bombardment.
- Botched perspective on Reiner as he's blown out of his titan from the inside.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's true that Season 2 was the high point at a visual and direction level, but still Season 3 is above the average anime but a good margin. A different studio would put the series below those standards (because if they change it, it will be to pick a cheaper one).

Not necessarily, but certainly likely.

Regarding quality, the issue is we've got high quality WIT/IG animation spiked with some very obvious composition and editing errors, and just poor in-betweens. I get it if some people aren't catching it, but combined with the lower quality of direction it's become quite obvious and jarring to me, so I think I'd actually prefer a lower overall production level so long as it was more consistent. But Sawano needs to stay.

Also I digress, but is something actually going on in the industry, beyond/related to the recent laundry airings?

One Punch Man 2 (JC Staff)
Attack on Titan (WIT Studio)
Shoumetsu Toshi (MADHOUSE)
Dororo (MAPPA)
Shield Hero (Kinema Citrus)

Not to the same degree, but all of these are having problems relative to the usual quality of their respective studios.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

- Gave Mikasa back the blade she threw at Berthold as she runs up to him (it's gone again next cut).
- Berthold hooks both wires of his gear to the same building as he's getting ready to launch himself upwards, but next cut he just flies up with the wires to opposite ends of the street.
- Completely botched perspective on the Colossal Titan when it first appears after the nuke.
- Levi has a completely different face in the scene just prior to the first rock bombardment.

Yeah this all seems very nitpicky compared to season one's literal unfinished scenes like the one that cut to a still wide shot of the city for a good 20 seconds, then a close up on Annie's face because that's all they finished. Or the infamous purple rocks.

Not to excuse it of course, just saying that comparing it to season 1's issues is a real big streach

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Dude small things like that are not representative of poor animation or direction or even really issues at all when the overall production looks amazing.

I mean if we're gonna look at stuff like that and call it representative of shoddy work, in season 2 during the Reiner reveal Mikasa cuts through his arm but in the very next scene has both arms attached when pushing Mikasa off the edge and then goes back to showing one arm having been cut off. That's not even a small scene either, that's a really iconic moment where this happened. This stuff happened in every season and happens across the production of animated work in general.

Also saying it has similar issues to season one is ridiculous, especially when during that season they literally had a scene where they weren't able to animate the characters walking downstairs and instead opted to have the characters speak over a single frame in order to cut down the amount of work they had to do.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Asuron posted:

Dude small things like that are not representative of poor animation or direction or even really issues at all when the overall production looks amazing.

I mean if we're gonna look at stuff like that and call it representative of shoddy work, in season 2 during the Reiner reveal Mikasa cuts through his arm but in the very next scene has both arms attached when pushing Mikasa off the edge and then goes back to showing one arm having been cut off. That's not even a small scene either, that's a really iconic moment where this happened. This stuff happened in every season and happens across the production of animated work in general.

Also saying it has similar issues to season one is ridiculous, especially when during that season they literally had a scene where they weren't able to animate the characters walking downstairs and instead opted to have the characters speak over a single frame in order to cut down the amount of work they had to do.

Dude, I said examples of just visuals, okay? Like, it's written right there. And, pointing out how there's been errors like these almost every episode on top of the other issues that I'm alluding to isn't being nitpicky; it's to highlight that there's an overall quality dip here compared to the previous cour and the previous season. That much should be obvious. Of course there's always errors, but there's quantity here.

I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of editing and direction because that's a :can: that I'm not interested in putting any significant effort in discussing. I like the show, so I don't feel like criticizing it too much.

And yes, I'm aware there's a difference between general animation/editing/direction mistakes and subpar performance, and the level of production issues where you're having to cover up for literally unfinished material. Luckily, the season hasn't reached that point (and hopefully won't), hence why I made the distinction that we're still above that, but accounting for style changes and 6 years of workflow improvements, I can't help but feel this is a production that's being stretched thin precisely to avoid falling into that embarrassing pit.

You gotta remember that Season 1 was pretty decent outside of that - they didn't know how to pace themselves, hence why you'd have everything going just fine in an episode and then suddenly BAM purple rocks, or cut aways, or dropping to like 5 frames per second to pad out a scene.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

It’s good all these manga pages are 1fps then

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite botch from season one is the shot they use in all the trailers right before the newbie slaughter when the first recruit to die gets slapped out of midair by a titan and his corpse immediately turns into a big flat grey featureless rectangle polygon tumbling through the air

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm so happy I have an apparent inability to spot animation fuckups.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how far into the story has this season of the anime gotten? I haven't been keeping up

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

how far into the story has this season of the anime gotten? I haven't been keeping up

its at the basement rn

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Will the basement reveal be this week's episode? I can't remember how much is between the defeat of Bertholdt and them actually exploring the basement. I figured the basement would be next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If I'm remembering correctly, I'm pretty sure they'll end on the photograph. I haven't actually checked how much is between now and the basement though so there could be a lot more in between where the last episode stopped and then than I remember.