Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cat comes to comfort Ben at 4:18, with the most useful tool at their disposal - a cat butt in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Ben very specifically said he wasn't worried about himself since he made just as much money playing poker, he's depressed because pro MtG is now "no longer professional Magic but promotional Magic". "If you have non-pros in a league it can no longer be called a professional league", that kinda thing. If he was worried about his own future then I'd understand completely but being so completely broken up and depressed over the lost integrity of professional MtG or whatever isn't really something I'm grasping.

So I watched it, and I think he's being a bit hyperbolic and absolutist, but isn't wrong.

WOTC is replacing support for competitive magic with support for something that fits their promotional goals better. That's their prerogative but people are allowed to be sad about it. The MPL replaced Platinum Pros specifically and the Pro Player Club more generally. Now it's pretty clear that the WOTC doesn't see it that way, but as a promotional tool that they can do whatever they want with. Same with the Arena Mythic Championships, which have morphed from extra premier tournaments with the potential for way better coverage to invitationals.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It's funny because it seems most other esports have been seemingly trying to move more towards a professional setup for tournaments and less arbitrary picking.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tainen posted:

I don’t believe he streamed until WOTC started paying him to do so.

He did, he used to do some fun late night stuff on his LR channel before WOTC put him on their channel.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Magic and youtube videos makes me think of Aethersnipe.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
It seems like the reason WotC isn't showing MPL matches because they want the players to upload the matches themselves onto youtube etc. to build their own brand.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

deathbagel posted:

So, I have a good job. I worked hard for this job. I came up from nothing, grew up super poor, couldn't afford to go to college, but manged to crawl up through the ranks, make friends with the right people, and prove that I could do my job well, no matter the job, and got hired here. When my boss left for another opportunity, I figured, "hey! I think I have a shot at that! I know the most about what we do here and am the SME for the team!" but then the big boss hired a guy from another team to be the senior member of our team instead of me. He had no experience at all in our field, but he had a fancy degree and had done well at his prior position. I was annoyed at first. Then I realized that he's put his time in, not in the same way I had, but he still had, and that the boss wanted to add his skillset (which was quite different than mine and the other member of our team) to the group to make it more well rounded.

This is just how the world operates in general. It's not always the "best" person who gets the job, it's whoever the person selecting thinks will contribute the most overall.

....lol. the real answer is meritocracy is one of the most blatant lies of late stage capitalism, and success is, at best, awarded in a wholly arbitrary fashion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Magic and youtube videos makes me think of Aethersnipe.

this is violence

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deathbagel posted:

it's whoever the person selecting thinks will contribute the most overall.
just :lol: at this

it's whoever is the closest friends with the most c-levels always

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hey now, deathbagel didn't say that it would be the person who contributed the most to the team...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They should just say "actually, Pro Points are not an objective metric to measure player skill"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

....lol. the real answer is meritocracy is one of the most blatant lies of late stage capitalism, and success is, at best, awarded in a wholly arbitrary fashion.

Sup Ross Merriam

(I agree)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Playing Bolas Jace combo into esper. He has been hitting me with Theif again and again but finally I have the combo in hand. I make a boatload of Bolases. Some I tick up to 6 in case I have to use his ult in a couple turns. I make a boatload of illusion tokens. I wonder wht he hasn't scooped yet. Sadly I'm so decked I can't afford to exile him out with the +1, I leave 3 cards in my library for safett.

Pass turn.

Deputy of Detention hitting all 30 bolases.

Okay I still am insanely wide on illusion tokens.

Deputy of Detention hitting all 20+ illusion tokens.

Muted trombone noise.

I don't know if I've ever been styled on so hard.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

moush posted:

It seems like the reason WotC isn't showing MPL matches because they want the players to upload the matches themselves onto youtube etc. to build their own brand.

:what:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

no you can't

ok try 2: can you name mountain when you cast artificial evolution on your fungusaur and then detention sphere all the mountains?

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 16, 2019

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

resistentialism posted:

no you can't

ok try 2: can you name mountain when you cast artificial evolution on your fungusaur and then detention sphere all the mountains?

D-Shpere checks card names not type line.

Also Mountain isn't a valid Creature sub-type, it's a Land sub-type so you can't artificial evolution anything into a Mountain. Each of the different card types (Creature, Artifact, Land, Instant, etc) have a list of valid sub-types.

If there's one thing I don't like about Scryfall over the old magiccards.info it's that Scryfall doesn't appear to have the Comp. Rules anywhere on the site.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cernunnos posted:

D-Shpere checks card names not type line.

Also Mountain isn't a valid Creature sub-type, it's a Land sub-type so you can't artificial evolution anything into a Mountain. Each of the different card types (Creature, Artifact, Land, Instant, etc) have a list of valid sub-types.

If there's one thing I don't like about Scryfall over the old magiccards.info it's that Scryfall doesn't appear to have the Comp. Rules anywhere on the site.

I like https://yawgatog.com/resources/magic-rules/ for comp rules

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Playing Bolas Jace combo

lol owned, post you are list

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm not sure I'd classify a two card colorless combo that immediately shuts off every opponent at once as substantially less powerful than much of anything that's currently allowed. What equivalent examples are there?

There's a few one card win conditions that merely require you have a few cards present in your deck to immediately win the game in commander.

Godo, Bandit Warlord wins the game out of the command zone for 11 mana.
Tooth and Nail wins the game for 9 mana
Protean Hulk wins the game when it dies for 7 mana
Doomsday wins the game for between 3 and 7ish mana depending on what package you want
Ad Nauseam wins the game for 5 mana if you're above ~25-30 life
and so on.

There's also thousands of two-card combos that immediately win the game for substantially cheaper than Karn+Lattice in nearly every color or combination of colors, many of which are a commander plus one other card or one of several cards.

Karn is pretty solid and Lattice locking the board down alongside it is good, but it is nowhere even close to the most powerful thing you can do in commander right now. Especially given that you have to play them onto an already ahead board or Karn just gets attacked.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/GabySpartz/status/1128673163489890304

there is a group of very, very stupid Pauper players who think that they shouldn't ban Gush, or Delver, or Gitaxian Probe, or Foil, or Tron, no - the real culprit in Pauper is Augur of Bolas, a card that has a non-zero chance of missing even in a 30 spell deck and where missing is a colossal disaster because the major deck playing Augur is trying to use all of its resources.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
look, even if you miss you get a 2-mana 1/3, that's not embarrassing at all compared to the 1-mana 3/2 with Flying

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

look, even if you miss you get a 2-mana 1/3, that's not embarrassing at all compared to the 1-mana 3/2 with Flying

Oh yeah, you're right, that 1/3 body just means that Stompy can't compete, you know with it's Basking Rootwallas and Skarrgan Pit-Skulks and River Boas and Vault Skirges and Wild Mongrels and Rancored-up Anythings that get brick walled by a 1/3. That's the reason we don't see Stompy anymore, a 1/3.

pauper is doomed

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

A big flaming stink posted:

Quick historical reminder that the term meritocracy was invented as satire, both as something that didn't exist in the real world and would be terrible even if it did.

Also fun fact, the son of the guy who invented the term is Toby Young, possibly one of the biggest failsons in existence and proof that his dad was right about meritocracy

Now back to wizard poker

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a huge fan of pauper: god I wish the pauper community wasn't so loving stupid all the time.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dreadhorde Arcanist + Stealth Mission feels absolutely brutal in limited

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As a huge fan of pauper: god I wish the pauper community wasn't so loving stupid all the time.

more than one person on the pauper reddit is seriously advocating for a Prismatic Strands ban and explicitly arguing against a Gush ban lol

i really wish they didn't upend the goddamn format by downshifting Foil into an environment where blue was by far the best color and then leaving it in the format for several months

also i'm glad i qualified for the format championships on the first go-round so i don't have to play mtgo without the london mulligan rule

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hellsau posted:

more than one person on the pauper reddit is seriously advocating for a Prismatic Strands ban and explicitly arguing against a Gush ban lol

i really wish they didn't upend the goddamn format by downshifting Foil into an environment where blue was by far the best color and then leaving it in the format for several months

also i'm glad i qualified for the format championships on the first go-round so i don't have to play mtgo without the london mulligan rule

Seriously, the best cards in pauper are the tron lands or blue. It's an untenable situation, and something needs to be done, most likely bannings of some cards, but I'd like to see some more powerful effects in other colours.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I am extremely suspicious of anyone mad about the MPL replacements.

even if they're arguing in good faith about "ThE sAnCtItY oF CoMpEtItIoN" they still come off like they're mad that non-males are getting recognized.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it’s about ethics in professional wizard poker competition

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Retromancer posted:

I am extremely suspicious of anyone mad about the MPL replacements.

even if they're arguing in good faith about "ThE sAnCtItY oF CoMpEtItIoN" they still come off like they're mad that non-males are getting recognized.

I don't get upset at anyone grumbling about Sayvj. Jess is fine. She's competed, she's the top ranked women MtG pro, she's won a GP. He on the other hand has said he has no intention on playing paper magic and his one good result was in a coinflip tournament. If they brought in Jess and the 33rd ranked pro, nobody would be complaining. Or those that were are just dumb.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So I read the dumb magic book. my thoughts:

The prose varies between "passable" and "oh god who edited this."

Nicol Bolas's dialogue is exactly as cringeworthy as you would think. The chapters where he's the POV character are dire.

I feel like Weisman got a bonus each time he put a trademarked name into the book. it makes the dialogue come off extremely stilted and repetitive. If I ever read "The Dragon Nicol BolasTM" again it'll be too soon.

Nissa is back and is more of a moe anime waifu than ever. going back to elf Hitler would be an improvement.

They're going all in on the Jace/Vraska romance.

Angrath is the character that comes off the best in the book and I want a block based around him now.

Some stuff that wasn't covered by card spoilers or the previous book spoiler:

The planar bridge basically fucks all the leylines up on Ravnica when it opens and destroys the guildpact, which is why Jace can't just arrest bolas and be done with it. that's literally their first plan before the bridge opens.

Jace pretty much does nothing important during the book. I was wondering what was depicted on the Jace's Triumph card and I still don't know.

Vitu-Ghazi gets awakened and almost immediately owned by the god-eternals.

Domri starts the book fighting against bolas until he sees vitu-ghazi get ripped apart then switches sides. He immediately gets harvested. Ilharg is not in the book at all.

Karn, Ob Nixilis, and Dack go through the bridge to Amonkhet to shut it down. they do so easily it's comical. as soon as they do Tezzeret basically says "sweet now I get to be a main villain again." and peaces out. They find out that Hazoret and Sarkhan managed to re raise the Hekma and lock the other two evil gods outside, so the takeaway is that Amonkhet is probably going to be fine. Hazoret gives her spear to Karn.

Rhonas gets killed extremely easily by Gideon.

Lazav shapeshifts into Chandra during the assault on New Prahv to distract Baan. He blinds him with shuriken, they do a weird temptation of infinite power thing with the immortal sun which doesn't really make much sense and is never explained. After they shut it off, Dovin planeswalks away.

the guilds come together to reforge the guildpact after the bridge is shut, this is how Niv is reborn and he's now the living guildpact. Everyone dunks on Jace during the book about how much he sucked at the job.

Niv Mizzet reawakens, kills Kefnet, then needs a nap for some reason so he can be out of action for the final battle.

Dack just gets randomly owned in the final battle. F.

Bolas has an entire chapter about how the gatewatch obtaining blackblade and putting all their hopes on it was all his plan all along muahahahaha.

Niv Mizzet shanks Bolas in the back with Hazoret's spear at the last minute, which is the distraction that lets Oketra and Bontu harvest him. Bolas kills Oketra, Bontu explodes after harvesting Bolas.

Rakdos is basically the party god and shows up at the end to basically say "holy poo poo we need to throw the biggest party ever."

the guilds task Ral, Vraska, and Kaya to go assassinate Tezzeret, Baan, and Liliana, respectively.

Lazav is cosplaying as Saheeli at the end of the book. Who knows whether this means anything.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well the next pro in line (when looking at last year’s table) would be Jeremy Dezani IIRC, so I would bet someone would be complaining!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I should be invited, I have the cube trophies to prove myself!!!!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Capitalism posted:

I don't get upset at anyone grumbling about Sayvj. Jess is fine. She's competed, she's the top ranked women MtG pro, she's won a GP. He on the other hand has said he has no intention on playing paper magic and his one good result was in a coinflip tournament. If they brought in Jess and the 33rd ranked pro, nobody would be complaining. Or those that were are just dumb.

yea jess is cool and good, the dumb part is an unqualified white male getting in and people trying to also frame it as a "diversity hire"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Captain Capitalism posted:

Jess is a fine pick. Yes its a bit of diversity hire (and who cares if it is), but its without a doubt the kind of player you want. Sayvj is definitely the one people should be more annoyed with.

I hope they bring in Amazonian and a few like her and make it more of an invitational. The old boys club getting broken up is fine and good.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 16, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Aww, I was hoping Liliana got to take Oketra and Bontu with her.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

in tears on my twitch stream because wizards of the coast picked a foil savjz over burst lightning. ive """lost all respect for them""".

Retromancer posted:

Everyone dunks on Jace during the book about how much he sucked at the job.

wow the magic book is actually good

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Retromancer posted:

I feel like Weisman got a bonus each time he put a trademarked name into the book. it makes the dialogue come off extremely stilted and repetitive. If I ever read "The Dragon Nicol BolasTM" again it'll be too soon.

Jesus, really? Even Games Workshop doesn't do that poo poo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

re: book

What's the final kill count of Planeswalkers? Dack, Gideon, Domri, Nicol (depowered, as if that'll last, lol), anyone else?

Also who died in the Nahiri/Sorin battle, if anyone?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I have two Mycosynth Lattices from ages ago, and both of them are signed. I pulled a Karn, the Great Creator recently so that's my commander wishes covered. Should I go ahead and try selling one of my lattices while it's high, or will it climb higher if it doesn't eat a ban any time soon? (Incidentally, anyone in this thread want a Darksteel Mycosynth Lattice, slightly played, signed by Anthony S. Waters?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

re: book

What's the final kill count of Planeswalkers? Dack, Gideon, Domri, Nicol (depowered, as if that'll last, lol), anyone else?

Also who died in the Nahiri/Sorin battle, if anyone?

In terms of guys with names, that's it.

tons of nameless redshirts die. Several times during the book someone planeswalks in and basically goes "hey what's goi-" and then gets immediately ganked. One is a viashino which I was kinda mad because I want a viashino planeswalker.

Nahiri and Sorin put aside their differences offscreen and are both fighting eternals in the final battle.