Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It bugs me when people don't wear watches. There are a billion totally valid reasons to not wear one these days, but for some reason it really sticks out to me and I find myself subconsciously side-eyeing people. "No watch? What are they UP TO??""

I have a really cool mechanical watch, the spring winds by motion, no batteries required. Plus you can see the action working with all the gears and stuff through the face.
The woman who broke my heart gave it to me, so I no longer wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

They feel constricting and I'm allergic to nickel

I spent decades thinking I was allergic to nickel when it was actually zinc that was causing irritation. 99% chance you already know your actual problem, but it's worth looking into if you aren't certain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am going to murder the next podcaster who tries to sell me a MVMT watch.

Also, my job sometimes involves holding in bleeding dog guts with both hands so I get the whole "I can't always look at my phone" thing but otoh I have never been in a situation where I can't look at my phone but desperately need to know the time but have no clock in line of sight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Eh, cell phones have replaced the watch.

I did use a smartwatch for a while, but it was just a watch that I could change the face on, and recently switched back to a dumb watch.

Wearing a Casio F-91W terrorist watch is actually pretty nice, it does one thing perfectly, and that's all I need from a watch.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When someone thinks you are being serious.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got into a screaming match with the owners of that one dog today and holy gently caress it was liberating. I am physically carrying it to the door next time it does its thing, then, animal control.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When will companies realize nobody wants autoplaying videos? I can't be the only one who races to close a tab when it starts playing some ultra-loud video that is only tangentially related to the story. I end up not reading so many stories on news pages because they assault you with their videos. And if an ad pops up that takes up the page, well, guess i'm not reading that news story, instant tab close.

Ad revenue should just not exist. Websites should have to provide value and fund themselves through that value. Ad revenue is fake value, no matter what the fart-huffing marketing execs think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody likes it. Except ad people.

A peeve of mine are Youtube ads that are extremely short. I see some that are like 4 seconds long and I have no clue what the gently caress they wanted me to buy. It was just a big waste of time for everybody involved.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody likes it. Except ad people.

A peeve of mine are Youtube ads that are extremely short. I see some that are like 4 seconds long and I have no clue what the gently caress they wanted me to buy. It was just a big waste of time for everybody involved.

i hate how i always get a 5 second ad when i'm ready to click the skip button, but the moment i step into the shower with my phone i get two back to back 1.5 minute ads and i can't push the skip ads button without screwing it up with the water droplets from my finger.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When will companies realize nobody wants autoplaying videos? I can't be the only one who races to close a tab when it starts playing some ultra-loud video that is only tangentially related to the story. I end up not reading so many stories on news pages because they assault you with their videos. And if an ad pops up that takes up the page, well, guess i'm not reading that news story, instant tab close.

Ad revenue should just not exist. Websites should have to provide value and fund themselves through that value. Ad revenue is fake value, no matter what the fart-huffing marketing execs think.

Install a script killer and whitelist things that you approve of. Just don't let websites run poo poo that you don't like, scriptkillers also automatically get rid of certain paywalls.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I got into a screaming match with the owners of that one dog today and holy gently caress it was liberating. I am physically carrying it to the door next time it does its thing, then, animal control.

Kingston animal control? Good luck. They don't do ANYTHING. loving useless.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Combopeeve:
People who complain about a thing, but don't want to actually have a solution to it. &
" But I'll notice it!!! " when it comes to simplifying a process or product a bit to save time, especially when the quality is going to get smashed a bit the moment it stops being a lossless png anyhow.
(Though this can extend to anything, 'oh yeah these things here are like 2px offset too far, but nobody'll notice it in the actual scene' 'But I'll notice it!.' .
Or people insisting on making changes so small they're barely noticable in the end product at all. Things just to satisfy themselves, instead of realizing that these small details and changes are only visible in direct, exact comparisons.
An infinite amount of tiny changes just for the sake of change, which are then promptly thrown away again are the bane of my workday whenever architects are involved directly, ugh.)

In this case, a friend was complaining about how some videos he was making took way too long to render. (And due to the long rendertimes, he had to reduce quality a bit, leaving a bit of noise in the final product.)
I suggested rendering at a lower resolution, and using gigapixel to scale it up to finished size (neural net resizer, does a pretty good job, especially for hobby work.), giving a good final image, without the noise(due to being able to run it at higher settings.), at a lower render time, and the difference in quality gets obliterated by video encoding anyhow.

I slap together an example, the differences between them are minor, especially since the scene is slightly stylized, and doesn't have much in the way of noisy materials / details.
And he just complains about how some of the hair there is a bit blurrier, and that part over there is slightly less clear. And refuses to understand that this is detailing that gets smushed pretty hard by encoding.
Of course the slight deviations are visible when you compare 2 full res, high quality pngs on top of eachother. Flipping back and forth to cross-examine every single pixel that's different.
That's not the point, the point is by doing this you can render it out, encode the video, and save hours per video, and the people seeing it won't notice the difference.

But sure, just keep on griping about how it takes too long to render, and then proceed to do nothing about it, sure, that's not annoying at all.

e: Bonus Peeve: When things use USB connectors, but the port is recessed so that only maybe a third of the USB cables you have lying around actually fit without filing/sanding plastic/rubber off them.
Or maybe this is more a peeve about how bulky some usb micro b cables can be.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 16, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Show him two encoded versions and don't tell him which process was used for which (or better, switch them around). Odds are he won't be able to tell the difference.

He will either realize that you are right or get really angry and refuse to speak to you again and either way, result.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate it when authors don't number their poo poo. Look, sir/lady, don't make me go digging through the dust jacket or flip through pages to see what number entry in your 15-book series this is!

Do you want me to buy/read your poo poo? Then make it easy for me!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate it when authors don't number their poo poo. Look, sir/lady, don't make me go digging through the dust jacket or flip through pages to see what number entry in your 15-book series this is!

Do you want me to buy/read your poo poo? Then make it easy for me!

Especially when it's one of those ones where it's "A of X" "B of X" "C of X" where ABC= storm/sword/wizards/gods and X=whatever the author landed on for the title of the first book, which unexpectedly sold well.

I get the desire to thematically tie the books together by title, but I still hate it. I can't keep track of them, I can't remember what order they're in, and the acronyms people use to discuss them online are garbage.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate irritating forms of website localization. I'm looking at the German version of Amazon, which autotranslates menus and stuff into Dutch if you're browsing from Holland. Thing is, some items only have German reviews, but in order to see them I have to manually switch the whole website into German first every time. I read German just fine, just show me the reviews.

The assumption here seems to be that nobody would ever want to see anything other than their own language and nobody is ever multilingual, although most of the non-Anglophone world is multilingual. It's mostly American companies that do this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I hate irritating forms of website localization. I'm looking at the German version of Amazon, which autotranslates menus and stuff into Dutch if you're browsing from Holland. Thing is, some items only have German reviews, but in order to see them I have to manually switch the whole website into German first every time. I read German just fine, just show me the reviews.

The assumption here seems to be that nobody would ever want to see anything other than their own language and nobody is ever multilingual, although most of the non-Anglophone world is multilingual. It's mostly American companies that do this.

This bugged me when I moved over there too, but they did eventually roll out a somewhat decent english version of amazon.de, but it still always worked better if you typed the german word for whatever you are looking to buy. Related: if you have an english version of the site, maybe at least have one person on staff that can respond to english questions. I had a complicated legal question (i.e. something far beyond my basic german) once and their support line kept saying they don't speak english - so why have the site translated at all?

Brawnfire posted:

Especially when it's one of those ones where it's "A of X" "B of X" "C of X" where ABC= storm/sword/wizards/gods and X=whatever the author landed on for the title of the first book, which unexpectedly sold well.

I get the desire to thematically tie the books together by title, but I still hate it. I can't keep track of them, I can't remember what order they're in, and the acronyms people use to discuss them online are garbage.

I like the way the Dark Tower does it where it's like The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass etc. That way you can still have your thematic titles but also can keep them in order.

The acronym thing is incredibly annoying too online. It's like they intentionally do it to make it so "normies" can't join the discussion. You should see how riled up they get if you have the audacity to ask game of thrones nerds who the hell "D&D" are. They were like "don't you even watch the opening credits??" and I say no, it's too drat long and repetitive, I fast forward - then you get the eye rolls and suddenly you're kicked out of the conversation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This bugged me when I moved over there too, but they did eventually roll out a somewhat decent english version of amazon.de, but it still always worked better if you typed the german word for whatever you are looking to buy. Related: if you have an english version of the site, maybe at least have one person on staff that can respond to english questions. I had a complicated legal question (i.e. something far beyond my basic german) once and their support line kept saying they don't speak english - so why have the site translated at all?

I like the way the Dark Tower does it where it's like The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass etc. That way you can still have your thematic titles but also can keep them in order.

The acronym thing is incredibly annoying too online. It's like they intentionally do it to make it so "normies" can't join the discussion. You should see how riled up they get if you have the audacity to ask game of thrones nerds who the hell "D&D" are. They were like "don't you even watch the opening credits??" and I say no, it's too drat long and repetitive, I fast forward - then you get the eye rolls and suddenly you're kicked out of the conversation.

The DoD, a government organisation often brought up in DnD, a forum populated by nerds who mostly know exactly who D&D are and also play D&D, is the champion of this.

Listen to two ex-military folks talk is a loving storm of acronym jargon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The DoD, a government organisation often brought up in DnD, a forum populated by nerds who mostly know exactly who D&D are and also play D&D, is the champion of this.

Listen to two ex-military folks talk is a loving storm of acronym jargon.

yeah the Idiots in the Military thread in GiP takes some googling to keep up unless you served in the particular branch of the particular nationality of service being discussed. They love their specific TLA spam.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have one friend to whom I'll text a joke and they'll only ever respond with 'Lol'.

Fuckin play ball! Make another joke in response!!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Chrome updated so now it puts my previous searches before my commonly visited websites. This means that if I put in "h", instead of taking me to hotmail (shut up), it'll take me to a Google search for Hollyhock, or if I put in "y", it'll take me to yogtze, instead of YouTube.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When a website unexpectedly boots you out of auto login even if you visit it every day. I don't remember every password I created and I don't want to have 1 million passwords for every site. If you boot me out every week for no reason, I might as well type it in every day so I at least remember it and not have to spend 5 times with recovery questions.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

YouTube logs me out several times in the space of a day! :mad:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Midig posted:

When a website unexpectedly boots you out of auto login even if you visit it every day. I don't remember every password I created and I don't want to have 1 million passwords for every site. If you boot me out every week for no reason, I might as well type it in every day so I at least remember it and not have to spend 5 times with recovery questions.

gently caress passwords. I don't care about the security of my account on some site for flash games or a forum dedicated to asking questions about raising poultry. Just make that poo poo as easy as possible.

I also hate the nonsense about special characters and numbers in passwords. The algorithms used to break passwords don't care about that poo poo at all, you might as well just type a random word in lowercase and it would make no difference to how easy or hard it is to break for an actual hacker.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just think it should scale with how likely it is that a hacker would want to access your account/system. If it's a military computer or whatever fine, make it as strict as you want, but the government seems to treat all their systems the same. So I have to remember this ~15 character password, have my smart card and remember the 8 digit pin for that, just to log in to my laptop that has access to absolutely nothing classified, just a bunch of algorithms used to help predict the weather. Why would anyone want to break into that?

and then you have websites like smallish forums (i don't know if SA still has as strict of password rules as they used to but they were definitely an example of this) with just as strict of rules enforced. If the only person that can be harmed by a hacking event is the account owner, let them decide how complex their password is. If they don't give a poo poo and want to make it Password1, let them. If they want to make sure nobody breaks in to their account and posts embarrassing stuff, let them set it to e5r5eeaAEjK!@d54##@(awHETAL] or whatever.

As it is now it's completely arbitrary, like the rules are "whatever our current IT nerd thinks is secure enough". At least have a standard so I don't have to remember your site's specific weird rule. The most annoying one that always trips me up is no more than 2 repeating characters. I end up having to reset those ones almost every time because my standard password has 3 of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use a password manager like Lastpass so you only have to remember one password.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Just use a password manager like Lastpass so you only have to remember one password.

I don't trust things like that. It feels like they were invented by a lazy identity thief who discovered that people will just give your information to you if you make an app.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't trust things like that. It feels like they were invented by a lazy identity thief who discovered that people will just give your information to you if you make an app.

I've seen you post some bad takes but I think this is easily the least informed one yet

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've seen you post some bad takes but I think this is easily the least informed one yet

I freely admit it's a very stupid thing to think. It's just easier to stick to it instead of admit i'm wrong unless I am forced to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

I mean, his reasoning is dumb but one of them did get compromised a couple of years ago.

I forget which though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A password manager has made my life a lot easier. It's one of those big tech moments like the very first iPhone where you realize you've been living in the stone age. Try one out. If you don't trust Lastpass then there's others like 1Password.

e: this long article convinced me to start using a manager.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-password-managers/

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 22:44 on May 18, 2019

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

LastPass is popular but also the one that has a long history of security issues.

I use keepass but it's not webbased. If you want to have a central database across devices you have to figure it out on your own. It's not difficult to do, though

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think it's stupid at all. One day wherever Chrome saves passwords for you will be cracked and we'll have a solid 12 months of egg-on-face as civil service email accounts drop like flies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah don't give Google anything. It recently came out that they store all the information on your purchase receipts in Gmail. I thought they claimed they don't read your emails, but they sure like keeping track of your purchase history.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My way of keeping track of my many many passwords is one of those old Big Chief pads of paper I used back in kindergarten and still carry around with me to this day

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"You go to bed at 5 in the morning?"
"You don't wake up until noon?"
"What do you even do at night?"

If it weren't for people like me, no one would be able to go out and eat dinner at restaurants.
My sleep schedule is not "messed up," it's just different from yours.
If I'm tired during the day, keep it to yourself and gently caress off.
I'd like to see how you react at 3 AM.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I only get peeved when people sleep in just as a matter of personal preference, like if you come to visit me on vacation and sleep in until like 11am because you were up until the early morning hours loving around on your phone. You're on vacation so yeah relax, but don't piss half the day away.

If you have to have weird sleep hours because of work, that's a completely different story.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Commercials that treat you like idiots. Sprint's new commercials act like they are revolutionizing the industry by giving you a discount on a phone with a new contract. That has been the model of every company practically since cell phones have ever existed. It's like a bread company releasing an ad saying "what if...we put bread...in bags???". You've been doing that all along this isn't new.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I swear I’m going to break my friends phone in half. I text him saying I’m going to see a movie on Monday (I say this Friday) and he says he wants to come. Texts me that he works until 3:50 and the available shows after that are 4:10 and 7:10, I ask which show he wants and he says he’s not sure so I tell him I wanna buy reserved tickets so let me know by end of next day. I hear nothing back so I ask him if he knows what he’s doing and he simply says “I can go after work, I might miss previews” I can assume this means the 4:10 show but I don’t wanna buy until I confirm because he never said which showing he wants so I ask if I can buy tickets for that showing. No response back, I send a “?” after about 20 minutes. It’s now a good 2 hours later and he’s seen the message but has not replied.

JUST. TEXT. ME. YES.

I know he’s not driving and I know he’s probably at work where he can quickly pull out phone to give me a yes, but he pulls this poo poo constantly on me and recently it’s driving me insane. Just give me an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will NEVER understand the lack of response to questions like that.

If I ask you if you want to help me move, and you don't respond, THAT I get. You don't want to look like a dick by saying no, so you'll just be a flake.

If we both agreed to be somewhere and I text you a confirmation for a time, and you don't respond... uh?