Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Played the first three hours. Maybe it's just me, but the game feels different from what was shown. Hard to explain. I assume it changes over time the more I unlock and level up.

Gunplay so far seems good, movement somehow feels much slower than what I expected. Playing on a PS4Pro, and I don't know if I have seen such bad texture and mesh-lod pop-in in recent times.

If gunplay remains to beeing good, I guess I'll have fun with this game, but - as I already said - I somehow expected something rather different. Still enjoying it so far, and plan to put some hours into it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Once youve played some and started unlocking abilities and upgrading them the combat becomes what was advertised. A few hours in and it feels incredible, some of the most satisfying fps combat ive ever played. AI doesnt seem like the greatest so far but if youre just hanging around one spot and out of cover enough you can get lit up pretty fast, and also the AI works the way it is imo because you want to be able to float around the arenas and use all your tools and the AI as is gives you just enough of a buffer to allow you to play more mobile and aggressively and experiment without having to worry about poo poo like, "oh i just missed grabbing the ledge, and im out of cover for a second, now im instantly dead"

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 16, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

HORMELCHILI posted:

like for example how all junk is named but just becomes a big pile of the same poo poo

To me this is cool and good though. Because you get the giggles of finding a box of “Several Fake Moustaches” or “One odd sock”, and the convenience of just mashing the sell junk button to give cash to buy more explosions. It’s a win win.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey what do I do with Life Glands? Is there a way to get more than 100 health? I feel like I’ve unlocked a lot of stuff and did all Kvasir’s missions and I don’t have anymore options from him.
Edit: NVM wrong Doctor

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 16, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

For anyone else wondering, go to the Cyber Doc in Wellspring to upgrade max health, global damage, and overdrive duration.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

AirRaid posted:

To me this is cool and good though. Because you get the giggles of finding a box of “Several Fake Moustaches” or “One odd sock”, and the convenience of just mashing the sell junk button to give cash to buy more explosions. It’s a win win.

They did this in the first game as well - anything you picked up that wasn't ammo or a crafting component was just vendor trash. For whatever reason they broke some of them into separate groups (like books, tools, food, oil, etc.) but apart from the flavour text they all served the same purpose, to be sold for money the next time you run into a vendor. It just saved you a few clicks.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the naming this is just for laughs, it got one out of me when i found "A tangled mass of in ear headpones".

Also they released a patch and the first thing in the patch notes was that they removed denuvo lol.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm downloading this as we speak so I'll try it out soon and come back with my expert opinions

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zoig posted:

Also they released a patch and the first thing in the patch notes was that they removed denuvo lol.

So it now runs at 100fps on every rig bc denuvo sure just drains those precious frames. YouTube confirmed.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Even after the patch the game refuses to run. Some people on the tech support forums were saying that if they deleted an amd dll file they fixed the issue, but I don't even have the file because I don't use amd lol. And there's tons of people apparently having the same issue? I know game development and releases isn't exactly easy, but how tf somebody gonna release a game ANNO DOMINI MMXIX with a bug that prevents a game exe from just running AT ALL.

I just wanna shoot some fucken goons man drat, my expectations ain't even that high. Game run -> shoot good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Even after the patch the game refuses to run. Some people on the tech support forums were saying that if they deleted an amd dll file they fixed the issue, but I don't even have the file because I don't use amd lol. And there's tons of people apparently having the same issue? I know game development and releases isn't exactly easy, but how tf somebody gonna release a game ANNO DOMINI MMXIX with a bug that prevents a game exe from just running AT ALL.

I just wanna shoot some fucken goons man drat, my expectations ain't even that high. Game run -> shoot good.

I rented this for PS4 because I bought RAGE at full price for PC at launch and it was unplayable on my AMD card for 3 months. I’m sorry to see the same thing is happening here.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got Mad Max in a humble bundle and enjoyed it, though you could cut 50 percent of the content and miss nothing.

I'm guessing this game will share the same fate?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Mad Max in a humble bundle and enjoyed it, though you could cut 50 percent of the content and miss nothing.

I'm guessing this game will share the same fate?

Fellow mad max fan here. Rage 2 is mad max but better-- better setpieces, combat, way more to unlock and in general holds together better.

Like mad max though, rage 2 is not a "must play" kind of game. It *is* explicitly fun.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zoig posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the naming this is just for laughs, it got one out of me when i found "A tangled mass of in ear headpones".

lol that makes sense cause it got cracked after 1 day so denuvo is already pointless

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

they fixed the hold mechanic (which sucks but well... consoles and ubisoft, ty) so you can now run up to the car f.e. and pressing E long before the actual prompt appears so you can get in when you arrive instead of having to wait for the bar.

another qol for interface: space = enter. Don't press enter, just jump.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2019

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

haldolium posted:

they fixed the hold mechanic (which sucks but well... consoles and ubisoft, ty) so you can now run up to the car f.e. and pressing E long before the actual prompt appears so you can get in when you arrive instead of having to wait for the bar.

Did they fix that for ladders also?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuo posted:

Played the first three hours. Maybe it's just me, but the game feels different from what was shown. Hard to explain. I assume it changes over time the more I unlock and level up.

Like slow and weak and bad? Yeah feels that way to me too. Not at all what I was expecting having watched videos.
I super love hearing the guy say the same thing when he leaves each ARC and having the girl on the radio say the same thing in reply.
Or having the minigun whine sound bug out and play forever.

So glad I Redbox'ed this game. No harm, no foul.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I keep getting a radar ping in Gunbarrel that points to an area I can’t figure out how to get in. Close to the vendors behind the elevator down. It’s not down in the sewers though. Anyone have any idea?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

ExCruceLeo posted:

I keep getting a radar ping in Gunbarrel that points to an area I can’t figure out how to get in. Close to the vendors behind the elevator down. It’s not down in the sewers though. Anyone have any idea?

Just got the Icarus and got it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I feel like my experience so far has been different from everyone else's because nearly 20 hours in and having already finished the campaign around the 15 hour mark this has been the most consistently fun AAA game I've played since Dishonored 2 back in 2016. I'd probably put it up there as my ~~goty contender~~ and hopefully id will step up their game with Doom Eternal.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ExCruceLeo posted:

Just got the Icarus and got it.

Getting around sure gets a lot better when you can just fly!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I've been really enjoying this too. Got used to the driving after a while and exploring places has been a lot of fun, check out some arks and do story quests and stuff, clear out some bandit nests and whatnot in between, it's chill.

Stupid question about Icarus, there's no way to make that the "default" vehicle is there? Have to go out of town and spend :10bux: each time to summon it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
while i like it so far. i think it has issues. the open world and i assume lack of fast travel. the world as pretty as it can be feels very MGS5 and not in a good way. the combat is fun and world is interesting but its all kinda just there. i feel like if it had been a semi open but liniar but highly replayabe game, if it had taken off better.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There is fast travel tho

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here’s some thoughts after a day of play, exclusively on Nightmare:

-Once you have enough cooldowns to successfully crowd control, the fights become way more fluid and fun. I am really prioritizing ARK upgrades because more cooldowns = more fun

-maxing out the Blink is massive and it’s really clear that high level play is balanced around the double blink. You can pull off weird cute poo poo like Grav Jump -> Blink -> Hover -> Blink and it feels like the unique space the game is trying to carve out for itself

-the vehicles feel completely ancillary, except for Icarus, which changes the feel and flow of exploration dramatically. I’m just cruising from location to location cleaning up the map and reaping in massive loot crazy fast. I feel bad abandoning Phoenix and Icarus not having a pippy British voice is a loving warcrime.

I was gonna return it after a day but I’m really enjoying the sandbox so far. It took me about 4 hours to settle in, and the PS4 port seems to be of poor quality (never had a disc crash before this game lol), but it’s a lot of fun when your firing on all cylinders.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

and the PS4 port seems to be of poor quality (never had a disc crash before this game lol)

I'm getting lots of CTDs on PC too.

Zoig posted:

Yeah, the game feels a bit held together with spit and hope sometimes, its not just ps4 stuff.

Also, today i learned that those random npc's you can talk to in towns can sometimes give quests! It might actually be most of them and I just never found out because every person is either repulsively uninteresting, or just repulsive.

Sort-of quests. It just marks a point-of-interest on your map.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 17, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the game feels a bit held together with spit and hope sometimes, its not just ps4 stuff.

Also, today i learned that those random npc's you can talk to in towns can sometimes give quests! It might actually be most of them and I just never found out because every person is either repulsively uninteresting, or just repulsive.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HORMELCHILI posted:

Did they fix that for ladders also?

I think my post was premature and it wasn't fixed after all. It works when jumping in from above but I still got the same issue as before when walking towards the car. After the jumping upgrade I barely use ladders anymore though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

As far as I know the NPCs that give you quests are basically like the ones from recent Ubisoft games (Far Cry 5) - they just mark locations of enemy camps, side missions, etc. in maps so you don't have to find them yourself. Same thing applies to locations you see mentioned in readables. They do have bonus dialogue if you talk to them again after having visited what they marked though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

jaete posted:

Stupid question about Icarus, there's no way to make that the "default" vehicle is there? Have to go out of town and spend :10bux: each time to summon it?

Not a stupid question, but you’ll be delighted to hear that Icarus is always there, like Phoenix and the bike you get later. At trade towns where you find Phoenix chilling, look for a ladder nearby up to a Helipad, where you’ll find your Icarus.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Does anyone else just not bother stopping your car before getting out after a point?
Because I think I reached that point.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

David D. Davidson posted:

Does anyone else just not bother stopping your car before getting out after a point?
Because I think I reached that point.

Upgrade into the ejector seat and never brake again.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ejector Seat into Slam is the only way to start any Encounter.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m loving every second of the combat but I feel like the rate of new weapon acquisition is too low for how far I am into the game and I think the vehicles are implemented poorly enough that I’d rather they just make better versions of Phoenix and Icarus for me but in any case I’m enjoying it.

The pain is that this games shooting and super power mechanics but in FC: New Dawn’s sandbox would probably be my GOAT FPS, but sadly never the two shall meet.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You can deliberately mainline arks to get new abilities and guns. There’s mechanics in game to find them. It’s what I did, having figured that having all the poo poo would make all the other stuff better.

Also, the Charged Pulse Cannon utterly wrecks the authority sentries, to the point they become actually trivial.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't even like shooters all that much, but holy moly is rushing into combat ever great in this game. Everything else feels like a competent-but-empty MMORPG. Here's hoping the DLC gives more places where you fight off waves of enemies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My experience with 5 of the sentry towers so far is that there is always a place you can stand where there be attacks can’t hit you but their core is still exposed. I’ve been viewing them as arena puzzles where you just need to find the right place to stand.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't yet grok how to avoid the circular pulse in the second phase. Getting inside a building does not help, nor does getting up high, not does trying to jump over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't yet grok how to avoid the circular pulse in the second phase. Getting inside a building does not help, nor does getting up high, not does trying to jump over it.

You have to jump over it but the stronger ones do multiple at a time so they are really irritating to avoid especially while dodging fire