Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man, I've got to start watching my vinyl spending. I'm starting to let myself get suckered into some less-than-reasonable deals. Like buying a second hand record for as much as its reissue would have cost new. :/
As long as it's not a $25 used copy of Rumours, you're not doing that bad. Or the $25 new copy of Rumours that I saw at the flea market a few weeks ago. Who is out here buying all these new copies of Rumours, I thought one would just materialize next to your turntable once it gets set up. I will freely admit to my own sometimes basic record tastes, but that album sold a trillion copies, just buy it for fifty cents at a yard sale or steal it from one of your boomer relatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha one of the first things I bought was a €5 copy of Rumours and now every time I see one it's (sometimes considerably) more expensive and I think "heh, one born every minute." Although considering the guy who sold me the record this is all about had Rumours in the €12 bin, I maybe shouldn't gloat.

I'll never buy Pink Floyd. Both my and my girlfriend's parents have a bunch of Pink Floyd on the shelf and we'll get at it eventually. Just hope vinyl's still hot poo poo then so we can sell the doubles.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Amazon has Donuts for $14, at least in the US, if you didn’t have a copy already.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Amazon has Donuts for $14, at least in the US, if you didn’t have a copy already.

If you don’t have Donuts, you should.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haha one of the first things I bought was a €5 copy of Rumours and now every time I see one it's (sometimes considerably) more expensive and I think "heh, one born every minute." Although considering the guy who sold me the record this is all about had Rumours in the €12 bin, I maybe shouldn't gloat.

I'll never buy Pink Floyd. Both my and my girlfriend's parents have a bunch of Pink Floyd on the shelf and we'll get at it eventually. Just hope vinyl's still hot poo poo then so we can sell the doubles.

Dipshits paying entirely too much money for things is exactly why collecting records sucks now. Any newer record stores I've seen pop up price things by whatever the highest price is one discogs. And people are falling for it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I didn't and for 14$ I do now, thanks!

I'm going to England next week. Random, but anyone have any shop recommendations in London or Liverpool?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s two Rough Trades in London at least.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

esperantinc posted:

I didn't and for 14$ I do now, thanks!

I'm going to England next week. Random, but anyone have any shop recommendations in London or Liverpool?

What sort of stuff do you like? Soho in London has a bunch of shops within a stones throw of each other:

Phonica
Sounds of the universe
Reckless
Sister Ray

are all really good, SOTU and Phonica in particular.

A bit further out (but still close to the tube) Flashback has branches in Angel and Shoreditch and is good for second hand stuff.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Banano posted:

What sort of stuff do you like? Soho in London has a bunch of shops within a stones throw of each other:

Phonica
Sounds of the universe
Reckless
Sister Ray

are all really good, SOTU and Phonica in particular.

A bit further out (but still close to the tube) Flashback has branches in Angel and Shoreditch and is good for second hand stuff.

I'm all over the place, but mainly punk/ska/metal and hip-hop. I'm staying not too far from Soho so I'll have to make a trip over. Thanks!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

a testament to the power of packaging :smith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Going through old VHS tapes, I found one of the Time Life music series ads. Among the albums being sold on vinyl (or cassette or even cd) was this Beach Boys album:

The faces are recognizable (though Mike is a process of elimination), but everything else is a beautiful mess, the least of which is Dennis as the tallest one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I inherited a stack of like twenty of those time-life records when my father-in-law got rid of his vinyl, I never actually gave the cover art much of a look, I should see if there's any more winners in there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Going through old VHS tapes, I found one of the Time Life music series ads. Among the albums being sold on vinyl (or cassette or even cd) was this Beach Boys album:

The faces are recognizable (though Mike is a process of elimination), but everything else is a beautiful mess, the least of which is Dennis as the tallest one.

Why does it look like a Tom of Finland drawing?

edit: I found this stupid loving thing in a thrift store because everything about it made it seem like some really silly rear end bullshit that I needed to own:

It turned out to just be a really boring disco album. Very disappointing.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 9, 2019

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Amazing Canadian rockers, I've already got this album in multiple formats, so happy to share them with anyone who wants to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdCu8uXQ7k

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 9, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just snagged a bunch of these on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R8HBMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01

I needed something for all my white label house records that isn't too thick so it won't decrease the amount of records I can transport, but isn't the flimsy poly-only liners you get from MoFi that won't stand up on their own and are kinda hard to slip records into with one hand.

I'll report back soon.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If anyone here is into Klaus Nomi, his debut album is getting a reissue. Reasonable at $20.

https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/klaus-nomi-klaus-nomi-lp

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Skeezy posted:

If anyone here is into Klaus Nomi, his debut album is getting a reissue. Reasonable at $20.

https://shop.realgonemusic.com/products/klaus-nomi-klaus-nomi-lp

drat, I really want to jump on this. Hopefully it lasts until payday.

A used shop I go to had one up on the wall one time and I passed with the hopes of it lasting another week but no luck.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://imgur.com/a/qnd8QXO

These are super good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I made a purchase. no regrats.

for anyone not in the know, The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

dorium posted:

I made a purchase. no regrats.

for anyone not in the know, The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

How many hundreds of dollars did that set you back?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

How many hundreds of dollars did that set you back?

I actually sold $85 worth of records on discogs over the last two weeks so I put that towards this. I paid $60 out of pocket because the seller had a "offer" available so I undercut by $20 and got it.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

That Francis record got me curious about Deloused. Is it seriously not on vinyl? Can’t find it on discogs.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

IG-88 posted:

That Francis record got me curious about Deloused. Is it seriously not on vinyl? Can’t find it on discogs.

One press, very expensive. It’s silver but not pressed in silver, more like a picture disk that is silver if I recall correctly.

Edit: https://www.discogs.com/The-Mars-Volta-De-Loused-In-The-Comatorium/release/224568

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Asnorban posted:

One press, very expensive. It’s silver but not pressed in silver, more like a picture disk that is silver if I recall correctly.

Edit: https://www.discogs.com/The-Mars-Volta-De-Loused-In-The-Comatorium/release/224568

Oh dear. I sure hope someone represses that at some point and not on a picture disc.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
It was re-pressed by Music on Vinyl but those are also really expensive now

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Why does it look like a Tom of Finland drawing?

edit: I found this stupid loving thing in a thrift store because everything about it made it seem like some really silly rear end bullshit that I needed to own:

Done that a few times.

IG-88 posted:

Yeah. It's a sliver picture disc. I sold mine for $100 last year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Done that a few times.

Yeah. It's a sliver picture disc. I sold mine for $100 last year.

It should be illegal to put something like that on an album cover and not make music that sounds how that looks. I thought it was going to be some wacky glam rock album.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

You don’t even like Chains? That song loving owns. Usually gets a really good reaction when I play it in sets too; there’s just something about that guitar.

pwn
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
I finally got The Ghost Trade, enjoy this download which still has ~5 days before it expires

http://lightintheattic.net/downloads/244262

edit:

CPL593H posted:

Also check out this dumb jerk off who took a picture of a record he's bragging about having that he's never listened to that also owns a tube amp and a turntable that probably costs a few grand and he actually uses a loving Discwasher.

idk how i missed this post a month ago but Jack White would hate this dude for not listening to his record. of course Jack White would also hate me for carefully removing the tax stamp sticker seal instead of cutting it, so v:shobon:v

also I wish I had a copy of Icky Thump mono.

pwn fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 15, 2019

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Why are the white stripes records so desired? Are they like full analog pressings?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

revmoo posted:

Why are the white stripes records so desired? Are they like full analog pressings?

Because they make Pokémon collector horseshit like 3” records and liquid filled records and records attached to helium balloons

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

revmoo posted:

Yes.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Because they make Pokémon collector horseshit like 3” records and liquid filled records and records attached to helium balloons

But it's really this. I sold one of those mono copies of Icky Thump for over three hundred dollars a few years ago.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Fair enough.

I actually scored one of the Third man 3" records. It's a pretty good track.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

revmoo posted:

Fair enough.

I actually scored one of the Third man 3" records. It's a pretty good track.

It should also be said that a lot of this poo poo is Jack White deliberately trolling. There's a lucite floor at Third Man Records that has a bunch of those highly sought after limited edition tri-color records under it.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

CPL593H posted:

It should also be said that a lot of this poo poo is Jack White deliberately trolling. There's a lucite floor at Third Man Records that has a bunch of those highly sought after limited edition tri-color records under it.

LMAO that's amazing.

pwn
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
To be fair it could simply be a creative use of all the copies which didn’t pass QC

To also be fair it’s probably Jack White trolling

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

IG-88 posted:

Oh dear. I sure hope someone represses that at some point and not on a picture disc.

Omar says he wants to do vinyl re-releases of everything but you know. Don't hold your breath

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

That and he is also a crazy collector, but yeah I think he likes to mess with people.

Also. VMP announced yesterday that it is shutting down its forums. Kinda a bummer as there were a few threads I followed but my wallet will be better off without that vinyl deals thread.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

That and he is also a crazy collector, but yeah I think he likes to mess with people.

Also. VMP announced yesterday that it is shutting down its forums. Kinda a bummer as there were a few threads I followed but my wallet will be better off without that vinyl deals thread.

The whole VMP closing the forums thing is one giant clusterfuck. I mean the active users are their core group of subscribers that buy a LOT of records each month and they just really pissed off 99% of them with this announcement. They also did a really poor job of explaining why they were doing this, gave only 48 hours notice, and the CEO (?) came in and acted like a complete rear end in a top hat to people that were upset. Those customers have been very active on there for years so I understand the anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What's the reason?